Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/jp/ - Otaku Culture


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 14 KB, 480x360, rick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11234672 No.11234672 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUk_2JebvrA

Did anyone else grow up with this cartoon? It got me into otaku culture.

>> No.11234688
File: 193 KB, 1215x891, postqneojp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11234688

i miss Olde Otaku Culture /jp/, before this board became just a dozen /pol/ nerds discussing jap-usa relations and imagedumping their asian porn folders :(

>> No.11234689

I grew up with Macross.

>> No.11234690

It makes me upset that Generation X weeaboos hate Carl Macek. He did amazing things for the time period he was active in, and 4chan wouldn't even exist if he hadn't had the gonads to sell this Jap shit to American kids.

God bless you, Macek-san. May angels fly you to rest.

>> No.11234695

>>11234689
*being this young or Japanese while also being on /jp/*

^ I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

>> No.11234699

How did he make friends with other people no some foreign island and a military spaceship?

If you put a neurotypical in a new environment, do they make friends?

>> No.11234700

>>11234695
How would that make him young?

>> No.11234707

>>11234700
Because people in their 30s/40s remember Robotech, people in their teens/20s remember Macross (which they watched last year on "the internet").

>> No.11234729

>>11234707
I've watched it on the TV, anon. I was a teenager back then.

>> No.11234733

>>11234729
I'm pretty sure as HELL the outside-Japan distribution rights of the original Macross series weren't granted until the late 2000s.

Are you sure you want to admit you're in your early 20s on /jp/?

>> No.11234740

>>11234733
Dude, there's something called video tapes. Ever heard of that? You're probably too young to remember such things, poor anon.

>> No.11234741

>>11234740
When I was a kid, I watched anime on Laserdiscs, because I was a truOTAKU.

>> No.11234751

>>11234740
>>11234741
I have no idea what either of these things are.

Crazy geezers

>> No.11234754

>>11234751
Video tapes were like iTunes but on strips of magic in a plastic box.

Laserdiscs were like Blu-rays but the size of records. Records were like CDs but bigger. CDs were like big GameCube discs.

>> No.11234757

That feel when you have an infant relative and he'll never push a VHS into a VCR.

I don't feel bad because it's a better format or anything (it isn't) but I feel like he should have that experience, at least once.

>> No.11234781

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3izRIqNKzE

I love how autistically nationalistic it sounds

>> No.11234783

>>11234757
Why? What's so special about it?

>> No.11234784

>>11234757
Gunk-gunk-shiiik-clack-click-clack-wwwiiiiiirrrrrRRRRR-GRINDGRINDGRINDCHEWCHEWCHEW-GRRRR-CLACK-CLACK-CLACK-CLACK-CLACK-GRRRRRrrrrr...

Fucking VCR ate the tape again. Jam it back in the case and return it to Blockbuster.

>> No.11234788

>>11234781
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVGFy3V7a7I

Speaking of nationalistic, in the Macross Flashback 2012 special, they included stock footage of Japanese soldiers. Made me LOL like HELL.

>> No.11234790

>>11234784
>Jam it back in the case and return it to Blockbuster.

But I bet you didn't even try to rewind it first, you dirty fucker.

>> No.11234797

Maaaakurossu! Maaaakurossu! ♪♫

>> No.11234812

>>11234790
At that point, the tape was UNDER one of the spools.

Rewinding was not an option, and the tape had those silver security labels so you couldn't fix it.

>> No.11234897

>>11234672
aye. but this is /a/ related.

>> No.11234907

I didn't grow up with it but I watched it and Voltron and G-force on cartoon network.

I was raised on things like the mysterious cities of gold and adventures of the little koala and maya the bee and noozles and whatever other anime nickelodeon showed back then. After that, it was stuff like Zieram the Animation and Ninja Scroll and the like.
Robotech is pretty cool but I wish there wasn't a big shit about Macross and Battletech.

Also the only good Macross are Plus and Zero.

>> No.11234913

>>11234672

Kill yourself

>> No.11234932
File: 112 KB, 1280x720, 1374657781849.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11234932

>>11234672
Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D, Akira and other movies on Manga Entertainment VHS tapes (linked) got me into Otaku Culture. It's a shame that anime now is only plotless moeshit with cute girls doing cute things while in high school (pick related). Anime used to be totally badass, deep, and grimdark like it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LJv3_10f7E

>> No.11234935

>>11234907
>I watched it and Voltron

Did you watch the Voltron Power Hour?

>> No.11234942

>>11234907
>Also the only good Macross are Plus and Zero.

Oh no you didn't.

Macross Plus had a good plot and great animation. A safe blend of traditional animation and CGI, with a decent side story plot to see it through.
Macross Zero had a terrible plot full of retcons and mediocre animation. The CGI was awfully CGI-looking (though still entertaining to watch) but the plot was laughably stupid. Which is a shame, because I really like what they tried to do.

SDF Macross was the best Macross (except for the animation which hasn't aged well at all), and every sequel has been mediocre besides the music.

>> No.11234960

>>11234932
Is this post a parody?

>> No.11234969

>>11234932
Your problem is that you're comparing TV to ova and movie. That is and always what happened in OVA and movies. Although admittedly cute girls and harems used to actually fight things as well as sit around.

Go watch Strait Jacket, Mardock Scramble, the new Ghosts in the Shell movie, Hellsing OVAs, etc.

Also ovas back then where these half-cocked, cover-two-volumes-in-the-middle-of-a-manga-in-45-minutes, nonsensical affairs that were mostly good only for being gory.

>>11234935
I don't know what that is, so unless it was on CN, then no.

>> No.11234988

>>11234942
>Macross Plus had a good plot

How fucking retarded do you have to be to even suggest something like this?

>> No.11234991

Slayers and Daft Punk clips got me into otaku culture.

Then I've read the Slayers novels. They are so much better than the anime. I had such good taste when I was a kid, shame about the Daft Punk part.

>> No.11235030

Pokemon, Yugioh, and Gundam Wing Endless Waltz. I also had a couple VHS tapes of DBZ and Sailor Moon that I would religiously watch. I've always been somewhat autistic with anime.

I remember I got a couple DVDs at a garage sale when I was 11 or so. NGE Death/Rebirth, and some ero OVA involving demons fucking a bunch of big titted girls in a school basement. I think NGE fucked me up more than that ero OVA did.

And then I discovered torrenting back when it was still fairly new. I stopped because my "friends" made fun of me.

>>11234932
Really good job, I thought I was actually on /a/ for a second there.

>> No.11235037

>>11234942
>SDF Macross was the best Macross (except for the animation which hasn't aged well at all)
That's a real shame with any old show. Still, I appreciate all the work that went into it, and it has that charm that only traditional cel animation has.

Besides, it's okay, DYRL? has pretty amazing animation.

>> No.11235040

Anime stopped being good in 2007. This person is completely correct.
>>11234932

I liked it a lot when I was a kid and in my early teens, but when anime became nothing but shows of girls doing "cute" things and sitting around ice cream parlors and gossiping I stopped giving a shit. I really don't care if there's "battle scenes" where cute girls kill enemies in overly dramatic magical ways. It's shit. It's pure shit compared to what used to be out there. You can debate that point if you want, but you're wrong. There's no depth to any of it anymore.

I'm not asking for every anime story-line to win a Pulitzer, but come on. Every single show that comes out these days is "I am a shy boy/girl in high school, and there is a boy/girl that I like who acts tsundere to me." Cue the meaningless obsession with a sport or a hobby, here, and add a dash of pseudo-intellectual faggotry. Or, alternatively, "Hi I am a girl/boy in this crowd of girls. Zany antics ensue!" There's nothing worse than a comedy that isn't funny, and anime is awash with such shit right now.

Moe isn't dominating because it's good. Moe is dominating because it caters to the needs of girlfriendless shut-in Japanese males in their late 20s with expendable income. That's what's being made because that's what's selling. Moe is to Japan what Bronyism is to Americans.

>> No.11235041

>>11234988
What? Macross Plus had a great plot. It wasn't hurr durr save the world, but it was a perfect gaiden about three characters' relationships with each other. Fuck you.

>> No.11235061

>>11235041

You could have just written "very retarded", it would have saved you a lot of time.

Macross Plus plot is shit and the characters are boring. It's only good for the mech porn.

>> No.11235079

>>11235037
>Besides, it's okay, DYRL? has pretty amazing animation.

It's definitely one of the prettiest films I've seen, but the plot is boring and the characters are flat. It's what happens when you condense a longish television series into a single film, even if the series had a lot of dull and out-of-nowhere moments. I can't imagine someone who only watched DYRL understanding the relationship between Hikaru and Lynn Minmay, or caring about Roy Focker's death, because the characters weren't properly established. But as an audio-visual spectacle, it's great.

There was a Macross pachinko game and they reanimated some old clips. Normally I'd be heavily against going back and redoing an old series, but it would be pretty cool seeing a full episode of the original SDF Macross animated in a 21st-century style.

>> No.11235089

>>11235040
>when anime became nothing but shows of girls doing "cute" things and sitting around ice cream parlors and gossiping I stopped giving a shit.

This. Imagine every American TV series was Friends. I honestly like Friends, but come the fuck on. Give us characters more developed than a simple stereotype, or action beyond getting to a party in time.

>> No.11235095

I watched the anime that aired on Saturday morning television and after school.

>> No.11235104
File: 756 KB, 241x182, 1353901417568.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235104

>>11235095
>tfw you'll never again wake up on a Saturday morning, eat waffles your dad made, and then watch weird esoteric Japanese cartoons on the SciFi Channel

>> No.11235106

>>11235089
It's not even Friends. It's Sex and the City, minus the plot-lines about dried out hags fucking a gas station attendant.

>> No.11235109

>>11235104
We didn't have cable when I was a kid. I had to watch it on the Kids WB.

>> No.11235113
File: 1.98 MB, 392x294, 1189743323163.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235113

>>11235037
I've found that most of the old charm I've missed is just shading, and the way they drew eyes and hair.


>>11235040
>I really don't care if there's "battle scenes" where cute girls kill enemies in overly dramatic magical ways. It's shit.
Magical girl anime have always been around. Cute girls doing cute things has always been around. Tsunderes and love comedies have always been around. If you hate school anime, blame Azumanga Daioh.

>It's pure shit compared to what used to be out there. You can debate that point if you want, but you're wrong. There's no depth to any of it anymore.

Bullshit and more bullshit. The only thing anime is missing nowadays is giant transforming robots and power ranger squads.

Name a good old anime that isn't about robots, romance, or "Hi I am a girl/boy in this crowd of girls. Zany antics ensue!", or some shitty plot hidden under blood and gore ova/movie.

>> No.11235115

>>11235040
>>11235089
You guys are joking, right? This is a parody?

Moe anime is not the only thing that comes out, nor is it just "cute girls doing cute things". K-On had more depth than your run-of-the-mill action show or pseudointellectual chuuni show. It's about coming together, growing up, and then letting go.

All of these SoL shows, in one way or another, explore the transience of youth. Japanese are very in touch with this sentiment, especially because of the high demands of the working world.

>> No.11235120
File: 92 KB, 370x305, 1372297834872.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235120

>>11235040
You hit the nail right on the head.

>> No.11235121

>>11235104
I'm more sad about not having a Saturday morning full of good Western toons anymore.

>> No.11235125

>>11235061
>Macross Plus plot is shit and the characters are boring.

The characters seemed like real people with genuine relationships and heartfelt backstories.

What more do you want? If you think people need to save the world for a plot to be good, fine, but the Macross Plus characters were effective for the self-contained story they were in.

>> No.11235135

Ninety percent of all anime are some combination of mecha, adventure, and girls anyway.

Those that aren't are generally hailed as masterpieces but nobody buys the box sets so whatever.

>> No.11235149

>>11235135
>Those that aren't are generally hailed as masterpieces but nobody buys the box sets so whatever.
Macross and Evangelion called, you're wrong.

>> No.11235162

>>11235149
Did those stop being mecha shows when I wasn't looking?

>> No.11235164

>>11235115
I feel like this is a generational argument. People who watched stuff from the late 90s/early 2000's know quality. Everyone else knows what they grew up with and will of course defend it from criticism. It's like trying to explain how a Honda Civic isn't better than a Dodge Charger to a person whose first car is a Civic.

It's funny you mention K-On though, because a lot of people point to that show as what ended up ruining anime as a genre. Pretty girls doing pretty girl things does not, a good show, make. If I wanted that I could just turn on any shitty American teen sitcom for the past 30 years.

>>11235113
>Name a good old anime that isn't about robots, romance, or "Hi I am a girl/boy in this crowd of girls. Zany antics ensue!"
GITS. Trigun. Hellsing. Escaflowne. Outlaw Star. Lain. About a billion others, but those are the ones everyone knows.

I can't name a single show out right now because they're all the same. I can't name a single character from a current show that everyone universally knows. They all blur together. I can point to Motoko and say "That's the chick from GITS", and everyone fucking knows Motoko, even people who don't watch anime. Sure as shit couldn't do the same now.

That's the difference.

>> No.11235182

>>11235135
Lupin the Third? Or does that count as adventure?

It's like you're covering all your bases and I don't know what argument you're making. Successful cartoons that aren't about girls eating food are exciting? No shit.

>> No.11235188

>>11235164
>It's like trying to explain how a Honda Civic isn't better than a Dodge Charger to a person whose first car is a Civic.

Can someone explain this analogy to me?

I'm serious, I don't know shit about cars.

>> No.11235191

>>11235164
>Sure as shit couldn't do the same now.
That's only because people are just watching what they want to watch now, not just masterpieces their friends recommended and whatever-got-ported-to-America.

>I can't name a single show out right now because they're all the same.
I'm pretty sure you can't name a single show out there right now because you don't watch modern anime.

>> No.11235194 [DELETED] 

>>11235188
They're the same thing: budget box daily drivers and one isn't objectively better than the other.

>> No.11235195

>>11235188
A Charger is a sexy piece of American hardware that makes your dick burst out of your jeans the second you touch foot to gas peddle. A Civic is what your drunk ass dad buys from a police auction for $300 because he hates you.

>> No.11235199

>>11235182
Adventure was too broad a category. I should have meant "shonen adventure," where the MC has mystical powers and is out to save the world from the demon king. So Lupin III wouldn't qualify.

>> No.11235214

>>11235191
>because you don't watch modern anime.
Guilty as charged. And for good reason.
The last "modern anime" I saw was two weeks ago at this chick's house, and she put on one where it's a bunch of dudes obsessed with swimming, and one guy is tsundere for another guy, and there was obvious homosexual undertones. Even disregarding the gay stuff, it most definitely fell directly into the "I'm a [blank] in high school, and I like [blank]. The only way to win [blank]'s heart is to participate in this shitty boring hobby!"

I feel justified in my decision to stop watching, quite honestly. Shows should be entertaining, not a job to slog through hoping for some glimmer of satisfaction at the end of it all.

>> No.11235221

>>11235199
OK, but which car can drive from location A to location B? Can both of them?

I'm a NEET looking to get a driver's license, but maybe I need a car otaku to explain these things to me.

>> No.11235222

>>11235164
>People who watched stuff from the late 90s/early 2000's know quality
Awful, groundless argument. I grew up during the 90's. Anime has changed very little. What's funny is that moe anime only continues the dynamic of shows like Urusei Yatsura, but because they generally have some sort of progression, we see character development and actual "human" drama rather than the same slapstick antics over and over.

If you want to talk about non moe anime, there's tons of it unless you confuse bishoujo with moe. One of my favorite series, Tatami Galaxy, came out in 2010.

You really don't know what you're talking about, just like those idiots on anime forums who confuse "action" or grimdark faggotry with depth. Chuunibyou had more depth simply by parodying such garbage.

That's not to say that classics like GiTS are not deep. The original film is a masterpiece, but stuff like Trigun or Hellsing or Escaflowne are not "deep". They're simply decently told stories (except Hellsing, the anime was pretty bad).

>> No.11235224

>>11235164
>Name a good old anime that isn't about robots, romance, or "Hi I am a girl/boy in this crowd of girls. Zany antics ensue!"


>GITS.
About robots + is still being made. SAC. New movies.

>Trigun. Hellsing.
Hellsing isn't that old, and the OVAs are still relatively recent. So is Black Lagoon. I think Trigun got a movie recently too. There's also Trinity Blood. Shooting shit anime isn't uncommon even nowadays. I'd argue Trigun is "Hi I am a girl/boy in this crowd of girls. Zany antics ensue!" half the time.

>Escaflowne.
Nothing but robots and romance. Complete failure here.

>Outlaw Star.
Robots(spaceships). Also it's no different than those goofy adventure anime that come out every season that no one watches.

>Lain.
"Deep", "weird" anime are sill common.
Denno Coil has the technological internet aspect too.


I'd also argue that none of them are that old to begin with.

>> No.11235227

>>11235214
You should have picked shows that cater more to your taste. If you hate school life and you watch a school life show you only have one person to blame.

>> No.11235236

>>11235164
>People who watched stuff from the late 90s/early 2000's know quality. Everyone else knows what they grew up with and will of course defend it from criticism.

Oh the fucking irony.

By the way I grew up with "late 90s/early 2000's" anime and I think anime is still good. Maybe because I'm not blinded by nostalgia or maybe because I'm able to appreciate more than just action anime (which is what people mean when they reference "90's anime").

>> No.11235237

>>11235227
>implying there's any shows out now that aren't school life

>> No.11235240

>>11235222
>Anime has changed very little.

What about the art style?

>moe anime only continues the dynamic of shows like Urusei Yatsura

Seriously? That's the example you're going with? Nobody denies that anime has generally been about attractive young women doing quirky things (hell, look at the Daicon intros) but it's stupid to base your argument on one show like this. Urusei Yatsura isn't "deep" and it won't teach you about existentialist ennui or whatever people pretend to care about, but it's a lot more interesting than K-On!.

>> No.11235246

>>11235237
Attack on Titan isn't about school life.

>> No.11235249

>>11235237
I don't have an appropriate reaction image for this so if you could reply with one for me I would really appreciate it.

>> No.11235252

K-ON!! is deprecated. Discussions of modern anime should now be centered around Madoka Magica. Please update your arguments.

>> No.11235255
File: 111 KB, 500x500, anime question girl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235255

does ne1 else remember mobile police patlabor

>> No.11235260
File: 111 KB, 1280x720, [HorribleSubs] Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san - 13 [720p].mkv_snapshot_06.15_[2013.07.27_18.03.47].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235260

>>11235240
>What about the art style?
There's no overall art style for anime, just notable ones. Ones that make you think 80s and 90s. Those both still show up. The only thing that happened is that there are more artists, and so more styles. The same low quality shit from the 90s still looks like the same low quality shit from the 90s.

>> No.11235262

Anime was never good.

>> No.11235263

>>11235255
Patlabor is okay but more boring than awesome.

>> No.11235273
File: 5 KB, 125x125, an qu gi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235273

>>11235263
am i the only person who likes slow cartoons

not boring stuff like hello i am a high school girl who is normal

but things like i am a robot operator this is my downtime

>> No.11235277

This is your daily reminder that ban evaders should be reported on sight.

>> No.11235278

>>11235262
I don't feel as excited about anime as I used to be. I rarely watch any shows nowadays.

>> No.11235282

>>11235278
I know that feel.

Though it's mostly because my computer is old, and can't play these newfangled h264 videos.

So right now, all these new releases and contemporary /jp/ anime memes just depress me.

>> No.11235284
File: 50 KB, 400x534, MODERN ANIME IZ BEST ANIME.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235284

>>11235249

>> No.11235293

>>11235277

This is your daily reminder than you're fucking crazy, dude.

>> No.11235297

I want /a/ to leave

late night animu is made to appeal to otaku. if you don't enjoy it then you must not be tru-otaku

>> No.11235299
File: 105 KB, 1280x720, [FFF]_Love_Lab_-_04v2_[F9B690F6].mkv_snapshot_03.15_[2013.07.27_18.33.32].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235299

>>11235282

Before I got my laptop last year I was downloading 480p releases and converting 720p into avi when 480p wasn't available.

>> No.11235300

>>11235240
>What about the art style?
I was referring to narrative differences. Obviously stylistic differences exist, especially from the 90s to 2000s with the shift to digital.

>Urusei Yatsura isn't "deep" and it won't teach you about existentialist ennui or whatever people pretend to care about, but it's a lot more interesting than K-On!.
Stupid argument. Urusei Yatsura has some very deep episodes and films. K-On also has some which utilize the same surrealism and focus on human relationships. Yet, K-On possesses a greater degree of character depth because of its linear nature. S2, especially, puts the girls against the very simple issue of graduation and parting ways, and show the various ways in which this is resolved. This is character and narrative depth.

If you don't like moe anime, it's simply because you're not in touch with the Japanese aesthetics that drive them. The reason why I brought Urusei Yatsura into the picture is because it's very Japanese, it popularized the concept of "chara", and it's the prototypical moe anime.

I think people who needlessly hate on moe anime are lacking in the ability to appreciate the deceptive simplicities of life. Even as escapism, there's the constant reminder that it all must end at some point. It's the comfortable delusion that knows it is such.

>> No.11235303

>>11235297

Late night anime is /a/'s favourite though.

>> No.11235305

>>11235300
> K-On also has some which utilize the same surrealism and focus on human relationships. Yet, K-On possesses a greater degree of character depth because of its linear nature. S2, especially, puts the girls against the very simple issue of graduation and parting ways, and show the various ways in which this is resolved. This is character and narrative depth.

Oh god.

The worst part is, I don't believe you're being ironic.

Thank you, so much. You have no idea.

>> No.11235309

>>11235305
So are we done yet?

>> No.11235326

>>11234932
FUCKING MOESHIT KILLING THE INDUSTRY!!! REMEMBER WHEN ANIME WAS GOOD LIKE GURREN LAGANN AND COWBOY BEBOP?

>> No.11235330
File: 97 KB, 2000x1125, 1368239335255.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235330

>>11235309
Not even close.

Anime that incorporates these factors is the highest rated anime (9.4).

>Action, Androids, Angst, Conspiracy, Cyberpunk, Dystopia, Gunfights, Mecha, Post-apocalyptic, SciFi, Seinen

The lowest rated shit tier anime (6.4) has these elements:

>Comedy, Daily Life, High School, School Life, Seinen, Slapstick

>> No.11235332

>>11235326
Shitposting that is parodying somebody else is still shitposting.

Also it's two hours late.

>> No.11235336

>>11235330
More people like conspiracy and action than girls talking, who knew?

>> No.11235343

>>11235330
>Angst

<staples hand to forehead>

Oh, the goth.

>> No.11235346

>>11235252
Madoka is ridiculously overblown, but probably because there hasn't been such an ambitious show like that in a while. It's no NGE, but I applaud it for trying. It has a compelling story, and is executed cleanly, unlike NGE.

However, it lacks the ridiculous metanarrative of NGE: a narrative that falls apart because it cannot contain the ideas it is trying to express as a result of its own self-reflexive existence.


>>11235305
You obviously don't know what depth is then. The characters build until that eventual point in which you see their struggles with the inevitable parting. Azusa has weird fever dreams when she's pondering how she fits in with her older bandmates. All of this is subtext which develops the theme of building relationships, only to have them tested and broken with time. It's a very simple and human issue, and it's one that the Japanese love: transience.

>>11235330
What are those, MAL ratings? Who gives a shit.

>> No.11235348

>>11234672
>>>/m/
>>>/a/

>> No.11235368
File: 134 KB, 900x583, Q20My.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235368

>>11235343
>>11235336
>>11235346

The next top animu (9.4)
>Cyberpunk, SciFi, Seinen, Virtual Reality

And the next worst (7.1)
>Band, Clubs, Comedy, High School, Music, School Life, Seinen

>> No.11235375

Anime sure must be great if the worst anime ever made got a six point four. Blows shitty mediums like film out of the water.

>> No.11235378
File: 125 KB, 1920x1080, Ilya.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235378

>>11235346
Madoka didn't try in the slighest, it's Kamen Rider Ryuki just with swapping Toku for Magical girls.

>>11235330
This whole "MANIME", moeshit is killing the industry and why can't every show be as awesome as cowboy bebop. Just proves you're a butthurt crossboarder. Honestly just kill yourself.

Also, Robotech is kuso and you should feel bad for liking it.

>> No.11235382

>>11235375
Shitty ratings.

>> No.11235401

Well I think there's one thing we can all agree on at least: madoka a shit.

>> No.11235410
File: 840 KB, 500x300, 1374294063724.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235410

>>11235378
>"MANIME"

Nothing about what was listed is manime. That's just not the right aesthetic for storytelling. The only good anime with the MC as a male protagonist (who is autistic) is:
NHK ni Youkoso (9.4)
>Angst, Coming of Age, Daily Life, Shounen, Romance

>> No.11235413

>>11235368
>animu
epic

>>11235378
>Madoka didn't try in the slighest, it's Kamen Rider Ryuki just with swapping Toku for Magical girls.
No, it did attempt to betray the viewer's expectations via contrasts in aesthetic and narrative, and the concept of magical girls being compared to a victims of a Faustian bargain was refreshing, albeit not exactly new.

I won't lie; it was a good show and it did what it aimed to do. Best of all, it at least tried to do something "different", whether aesthetically or narratively or what have you. The subversive nature of it is very reminiscent of NGE, but it lacks NGE's "transcendent" quality.

I think it's another case of a well-done show, but one that's not very deep. Of course, I haven't thought about Madoka to the degree that I've picked apart NGE, but the allusions and references in Madoka seem to be included in a fairly shallow manner, like an afterthought rather than central ideas in which to develop and contextualize the show.

>> No.11235459
File: 235 KB, 1279x1186, IlyaTowel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235459

>>11235413
It attempted that but as soon as we knew Gen was writing it people weren't exactly surprised. It didn't do anything "different or original" the whole show is litreally just Kamen Rider Ryuki but with cute girls drawn by Ume.

Madoka wasn't even revolutionary to the industry, there's tons of Utsuge that got adapted if you think "Nice and happy then suddenly, suffering!" is something new you've clearly not watched much at all. Madoka wasn't even the first show to do something with the magical girl genre just look at things like Nanoha and Utena.

>>11235410
If you honestly think something is objectively bad because of it's genre then you're retarded, it's a huge generalisation and is no different than how people look down on different medium of storytelling rather than the story itself.

>> No.11235501
File: 847 KB, 1199x752, 1372623770159.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235501

>>11235459
>objectively bad because of it's genre

There's so much content out there that there's no choice but to filter what you actually watch, and if you know what genre you like then you might as well employ that as a search parameter.

>> No.11235523

>>11235459
>Madoka wasn't even revolutionary to the industry
Not once did I say it was revolutionary in any sense, in fact I said it was overblown. I said it was not new. Magical girl shows have always had self-referential commentary. What Madoka does has been done by various sources including Kamen Rider (which I have not seen). It's similar to NGE in this regard, but again, it is not "transcendent", which is why it feels weak in comparison.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a well done show. It also possesses a sense of ambition, not unlike Utena, but it focused on telling a story rather than obviously trying to cash in on NGE's narrative mess I think it's a little unfair that people keep comparing Madoka to NGE; they are not similar at all.

As for Gen, people who know him weren't surprised, but normal people who didn't know him certainly were.

Does something have to be "original" or revolutionary in order to be good? In this day and age, nothing is original. Even in Anno's day, he acknowledged that. So over a decade later, I applaud a show for simply doing its job: telling a story. It does not need to be "original", (though it is aesthetically unique with regards to Shinbo's direction). It also has some thematic depth for people to chew over for a while.

Revolutionary? No. Masterpiece? Obviously not. But it's a good show. Why it gets so much hate I cannot understand, I can only assume that it's because it's popular.

>> No.11235556

>>11234754
What the hell is a "Gamecube"?

>> No.11235562
File: 675 KB, 2150x1700, nintendo gamecube.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235562

>>11235378
This. I think it was the last console I owned. Or maybe it was a PS2.

>> No.11235593
File: 52 KB, 1024x768, Silent-Hill-4-The-Room.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235593

>>11235562
The PS2/Xpleb generation has objectively the best games. It's only been going downhill since after this masterpiece was made.

>> No.11235645

>>11235593
Silent Hill has a great soundtrack. Lots of good ambient songs to listen to. I'm currently taking it easy while listening to Null Moon

>> No.11235654

>>11235523
>but normal people who didn't know him certainly were.
They must've been retarded then, since Madoka had a dark, foreboding atmosphere/"aesthetic" since the beginning. Maybe people wouldn't have expected a relatively graphic main character death early on (which was just a shallow shock tactic anyways) but they should've known it wasn't going to be a generic happy magical girl show.

>> No.11235691

>>11235654
It's one of those things that becomes fully realized in retrospect. Mami's inevitable death was painfully obvious, but a lot of people didn't expect it. I also don't think people expected the whole suicide thing or parallel worlds in which magical girls kill each other. In fact, the idea of magical girls competing with each other to survive and then turning into the witches was also unexpected for many (well, casual watchers at least).

From the beginning it plays with contrast, right down to Ume's character designs. Of course it's not going to be Pretty Cure, but dark and brooding does not mean "predictable." Even I was surprised at Mami's death even though I shouldn't have been.

>> No.11235744
File: 57 KB, 449x600, 1370657396170.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11235744

>>11235645
The forum community was awesome too. Lots of artists and fan fic writers. They made new games but they've all been developed by foreign companies after SH4, although Akira Yamaoka stayed on board for a while after.

>>11235654
>>11235691

Awesome, I think I'll give MM another shot. I seem to have gotten lost while watching the first episode, but that's not to say that I didn't think the art was awesome.

>> No.11236809
File: 6 KB, 176x62, ged dubl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11236809

>>11235744

>> No.11236826

My fathers briefs that says "Big in Japan" in front got me into Otaku Culture.

>> No.11236827

>>11235744
check'd

>> No.11236877
File: 91 KB, 516x583, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11236877

>>11235744

Hey, fuck you dude.

That's my fucking image.

I wanted to post that a few minutes ago for the 11236666 QUADS and I couldn't because you wasted it on those shitty doubles.

FUCK YOU.

I am seriously pissed off.

>> No.11236892

>>11235744
czechoslovakia

>> No.11236895 [DELETED] 
File: 57 KB, 449x600, 1374972176585.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11236895

>>11236877
Nice post number dude

>> No.11236900
File: 22 KB, 396x407, NEP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11236900

>>11236895

Don't try to consulate me, dipshit.

I will fuck you over.

>> No.11236921

>>11236900
Fuck you, trevshit. I'll sagepost your images in random threads just to mess you up again.

>> No.11236933

>>11236900
>consulate
I don't think that's the word you were looking for, dweeb.

>> No.11236964

>>11236933

I'm positive my English vernacular is much more extensive than yours, third-country scum.

>> No.11236985
File: 314 KB, 695x572, moeshit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11236985

>>11236877
Here you can have some of my shitty OC to make up for it.

>> No.11236997
File: 610 KB, 588x766, NEP NEP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11236997

>>11236985

Thanks nerd, but I'm cool now.

I literally wrecked that motherfucker so hard he won't even dream to post my images again.

>> No.11237008

>>11234672
I sure did. First anime I ever actively watched (Speed Racer was often ON but I didn't follow it on my own).

God damn you, Rick Hunter.

>> No.11237019 [DELETED] 

>>11236997

>> No.11237037
File: 3 KB, 95x125, 1374996633573s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237037

>>11236997
I'm sure you'll get as buttfrustrated if I started posting spoilered Josh images, shitposter.

>> No.11237050
File: 390 KB, 729x500, 1325055533775.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237050

>>11237037

That's not my image, faglord.

As long as the file hash is different I can post my images all I want. I don't give two shits if you copy them.

Get rekt in the ass.

>> No.11237052

>>11235459
>the whole show is litreally just Kamen Rider Ryuki but with cute girls drawn by Ume
The only people who genuinely believe this didn't watch either Madoka or Ryuki

>> No.11237064

>>11236964
I suggest consulting a dictionary ;)

>> No.11237067

>>11237064
I suggest killing yourself :D

>> No.11237099

>>11236900
>>11236964
>Definition of CONSULATE
>1 : a government by consuls
>2 : the office, term of office, or jurisdiction of a consul
>3 : the residence or official premises of a consul

I don't think that's the word you were looking for, dweeb.

>> No.11237113

Anime is for dweebs.

>> No.11237122

>>11236900
>>11236933
>>11236964
>>11237064
>>11237099
LMAO trevor getting owned even when he's not on /ghost/

>> No.11237124
File: 20 KB, 615x548, edb96a7ae370cde1378e433ad26253a8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237124

>> No.11237126
File: 47 KB, 414x318, NEP SHITPOSTING.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237126

>>11237099

HAH, pWN3D

>> No.11237147

>>11236900
The word you're looking for is console.

>> No.11237153

>>11237126
how red in the face are you nerd

how does it feel to get wrecked

>> No.11237176
File: 221 KB, 410x428, NEPGEAH.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237176

>>11237153

LUL

I trolled you dipshits back and forth and made you waste time searching for something completely ridiculous.

How does it feel to get wrecked?

hahahaha, I should be asking you that, loser!

Go and eat my shit by the spoon and fuck off now, hahaha!

>> No.11237189

>>11237176

I knew it off the top of my head, your damage control makes me giggle.

>> No.11237191
File: 173 KB, 910x1024, WOAH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237191

>>11237176

Whoa man, some crazy mojo here.

That wasn't the image I posted but it came out even better for the context.

Top LOL.

>> No.11237201
File: 25 KB, 490x301, damagecontrol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237201

>>11237176
Whatever, dork. You tried to sound smart and failed miserably.

>> No.11237212
File: 405 KB, 1920x1080, DOWNLOAD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237212

>>11237189
>>11237201

I won in the end, assholes.

Get a fucking brain. The more you waste time the more I win.

#REKT CITY IN YOUR ASS

>> No.11237215
File: 160 KB, 568x1023, 1338970066809.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237215

>>11237176

>> No.11237221

>>11237215
Whoa /b/ro, EPIK meme!

>> No.11237229
File: 58 KB, 450x571, qxnkh1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237229

>>11237221
Whoa /b/ro, EPIK butthurt!

>> No.11237230

>>11237221
you can stop your damage control now, T

>> No.11237234

Holy FUCK, Trevor is getting his ass wrecked.

>> No.11237242
File: 40 KB, 349x642, hey-guys-look-how-retarded-i-am-jokes-on-them.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237242

>>11237221

>> No.11237246
File: 71 KB, 640x480, art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237246

>>11237230
>>11237234

I'm not Trevor, you fucking imbeciles.

>> No.11237251

>>11237246
I believe you, T

>> No.11237257
File: 45 KB, 393x591, 1331775455445.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11237257

>>11237251

Cool, dude.

My name starts with a T though.

>> No.11237441

>>11237212
k trev

>> No.11237765

>>11237052

The people who don't believe it think Madoka is the deepest piece of media ever made

>> No.11243798

>>11234897
You are wrong the correct board for this is
/m/

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action