[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 262 KB, 750x1000, 1342410768391.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10322148 No.10322148[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

hey /jp/,

I am soon-to-be dad and would like to hear some stories and advice on practical lessons your own parents gave you to teach you any sort of stuff. I know that I'm supposed to talk with my child in order to show him the rightful way. More specifically, what I wanted to hear from you is some out-of-the-box ways/ideas/lessons that your parents gave you and that stuck for your whole life. It can be related to any good value or any wrong things you have done in the past. For example: the way they taught you the value of things, the importance of sharing, or why stealing is wrong. Also could be another person's experience, like a brother's or friend's.

tl;dr: Tell me good practical lessons/stories your parents used to teach you when you were raised.

feel free to request pics from ``you're favorite 2hu" if you like

>> No.10322156

You should be doing the opposite of what /jp/'s parents did.

>> No.10322155

Tell your child to never come on /jp/ and you please go away too

>> No.10322159

It is ok to hit them

>> No.10322160

BE YOURSELF is the cruelest thing a parent could teach a child. That along with, "You can be anything you want when you grow up," being given to a kid as honest advice should be punishable by jail time and having your kids taken away.

A bit more seriously now; successfully being part of society is an exercise in compromise. Sure, you want to be yourself. So does everyone else. You have to give up a bit of yourself so you can get along with others. They do the same thing to get along with you. Happiness is something you achieve by finding the balance of group mind and individuality in yourself.

Sadly, there are more was to fail than succeed at this social game. Leaders cheat the system by making what they want to be a social norm. When everyone's doing what you wanted to do yourself, no one can say anything when you do it. A sheep happens when someone can't reconcile their own desires with the needs of the group mind and simply give up their individuality for peace of mind. Outsiders are leaders that couldn't successfully change the social norm. You refuse to compromise the self, but couldn't get anyone to follow to make it a socially acceptable.

>> No.10322164

I read that as "soon-to-be dead" and assumed you were that guy yesterday who was posting about his butthole tumors.

>> No.10322168

If you are ugly you won't get a good husband.

Plastic surgery is ok in moderation.

Fat people and black people should be avoided all costs.

Cheating is part of marriage and at one point you just stop caring.

Etc

>> No.10322171

Don't let the seeds of dreams be planted don't let them really believe in santa clause

>> No.10322172

Start early with trying to get him into otaku culture.

>> No.10322174

It's OK to rape your child.

>> No.10322176

>>10322148
Wait, what? I missed that. Could you provide a link?

>> No.10322177

Dress them up like 2hus and give them the dick.

>> No.10322185

>>10322148
>asking /jp/ about parenting
you know that this is a board full of virgin otaku weebs, right?

>> No.10322200

>>10322185
>>>/v/
>>>/a/

>> No.10322208

Record every single thing he does. Teach him how to use firearms and how to fight at close combat. When he turns 12, drop him off in the Himalayan mountains, so than he can join the league of shadows.

He will thank you later when he becomes a superhero, or kill you when he becomes a super villain.

>> No.10322217

Teach by example. "Do as I say, not like I do" is the shortest way to make your kid scorn you and rebel against you on purpose.

Praise your kid for effort, not talent.

Never skimp on shit that actually benefits your kid. Books, sports, extracurricular activities, shit like that. If your kid actually WANTS to learn something, don't waste the chance.

And if they don't particularly want to do anything, try to figure out something that would fit their personality and make them try it. Even if they don't like it and want to quit after a couple months, let them, but instead make them try something else. The life experience will benefit them greatly, start as early as possible.

>> No.10322222
File: 538 KB, 566x800, 1336508035701.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10322160
I agree with what you said in the first two paragraphs, but the third one like a unrelated deviation

>>10322168
>Cheating is part of marriage and at one point you just stop caring.
Do you speak for yourself or your own parents' experience?

>>10322185
Indeed, that's one of the reasons I value your opinions above many others. Also it's a good for a change in perspective

>>10322176
Missed what? Link to what?

>> No.10322219

My parents threw orange juice at me or beat me every time I got bad grades at school.

>> No.10322236

>>10322217
>praise for effort
No, this is bad. Praise for success. My parents did that shit all the time to me and it pissed me off. If I ever did anything at all they would say "oh wow amazing so good yeah!" to the point that I had no reason to do anything at all. They didn't care if I succeeded, they just told me I was amazing for writing my fucking name on a piece of paper. I started intentionally failing and got stuck in a rut of inaction to stop it. Praise for nothing and trophies for last place, those things are extremely demeaning.

>> No.10322251

>>10322222
Oh, sorry. >>10322176 was meant for >>10322164

>> No.10322254

>>10322222
Why do you insist on shitting up /jp/ for this?
I'm sure you will be a terrible parent if you can't even follow basic concepts like rules

>> No.10322260

>>10322222
sick ass quints dood

>> No.10322261

Punish and reward arbitrarily. Never explain your actions. Create sets of contradictory rules and enforce them randomly.

This will prepare him for the real world.

>> No.10322263

>>10322236
Praise for effort, not talent, when they actually deserve praise, that much should be obvious, autistic-kun.

So if your kid succeeds at something easy at the first try, that's not big deal. If your kid succeeds at something he's been working on for a while? That's warrants some compliments.

In general, "good job, you worked hard!" is much better than "good job, you're so smart!"

Even if the kid is smart and talented, at one point innate abilities aren't going to be enough, so it's best to instill in them the appreciation for hard work as early as possible.

>> No.10322269

>>10322148
>/jp/
>soon-to-be dad
I'm alerting child services.

>> No.10322277

Force him to play music at a young age so that if he becomes a loser later in life he will at least have something to be proud of. Discipline him too, beat him up if he's a little bitch.

>> No.10322301

>>10322148
4chan is not the best place for this OP

parenting is all about balance. Spank within reason. Important skills to teach are critical thinking, analytical thinking, creativity. Don't be afraid to push your own interests onto them (otaku culture?) but don't yell at them for having different interests. Don't be a conservative asshole. Teach both sides of every issue (e.g. politics, religion).

>> No.10322305

When he comes out of the womb, let the first thing he touch be a gameboy.

>> No.10322307

-sent her to japanese at a young age
-sent her for music lesson of her choice
-teach her the proper etiquette of being a lady
-educate her in street smart about how all boys just want to get into her skirt
-make sure she doesnt end up being stupid

>> No.10322314

>>10322307
Typo there.
I meant japanese class.

>> No.10322320

>>10322314
I liked your original idea better.

>> No.10322318

Don't have sex with your kid.

>> No.10322319

>>10322222
> Do you speak for yourself or your own parents' experience?

Both

I was engaged to someone who was cheating on me but it wasn't a big deal because it was more buisness than love (we never got married thankfully because I actually disliked who I was getting married to) and my mom says she doesn't care who my dad does as long he comes home to her.

Also unrelated to that either send your child to private school or homeschool them because public school is trash.

>> No.10322325

* Trick your child into thinking fruit is candy. Don't teach him what candy is. By the time he learns about it, he won't like it.
* Similarly, get your child into intellectual shit like classical music and Greek literature at an early age. Read him Aesop's fables instead of letting him watch cartoons. Teach him these are more fulfilling.
* When he's old enough to use a computer, teach him UNIX commands and how to use the shell effectively. Ideally, don't tell him that modern GUIs exist until you have no other choice.

>> No.10322327
File: 718 KB, 994x1191, 2011-05-22-405786.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Encourage your child to read

>> No.10322333

My dad taught me that, to multiply a number by nine, you should first multiply it by 10 and then subtract the number from that result.

I think you should tell your kid about this OP, because even though it adds an extra step to the calculation it ends up being quicker.

>> No.10322334

Is your kid a girl? Strictly control what she wears until she's old enough to leave the house. Bathe with her until she's 8 years old, at which point you supervise her bathing until she's 11, and then tell her she can only take showers. Pick out her outfits for her for school and whenever you go out. She can wear pajamas, her underwear, or just go nude at home.

Keep a lot of phallic objects laying around the house and in the fridge and also buy a few back massagers and leave them laying around the house and get one of those handheld showerheads. Learn to ride a motorcycle and get one that really vibrates a lot like some sort of older motorcycle that makes a sterotypical 'put-put' noise, or a dirtbike if you're adventurous.

Get her a bike and point the seat slightly up before giving it to her. Get her interested in horseback riding. Only allow her to have hermit crabs (be sure to get a pair of hermit crabs if you go this route because they get lonely) and seamonkeys as pets until she's 10, at which point she can get a hamster. Alternatively, you can get her a puppy when she turns 5 but make sure it's a male and make sure you don't get it neutered. Don't get a bitch dog though, get something that has nice strong instincts but not something that will be too big for her.

Only allow her a collection of Animophs and Goosebumps books to read.

>> No.10322342

>>10322334
sasuga /jp/

>> No.10322346

>>10322334
Why is /jp/ so slutty?
I thought you were supposed to be better than neurotypicals?

>> No.10322353

All bedtime stories should be from the Age of Sail

If by age 10 your child is not playing pretend as Lord Nelson at Trafalgar or John Paul Jones aboard the Bonhomme Richard, then you have failed as a parent.

>> No.10322356

Are you asking this so you won't make the same mistakes as our parents? Because otherwise it's hard to think of a worse place to ask this question.

>> No.10322361

>>10322263
This. There is actual research backing up this anon.

OP. READ TO YOUR KID EVERY DAY BEFORE BED. JUST. FUCKING. DO IT. TRUST ME ON THIS. Spend at least an hour a day with your kid - just you and them, no distractions, no tv. And at least fifteen minutes more just reading or talking with them before bed, even as a baby. This will help speed development and make them smarter in the long run.
Also, if you or your S.O. can't spend the day with your child enroll them in a PRESCHOOL. Not a DAYCARE, but a PRESCHOOL.

As for things to teach your kid: go on nature walks, and buy some goddamn picture books full of REAL PICTURES of animals and shit.
Do art and stuff with your toddler, too. Don't get mad if they graffiti the walls, just get water-soluble shit in the first place, and make them help you clean it up as their punishment.
If you catch them taking something apart, ask them for sure if they are okay with it never working again, but them help them take it apart. Ask them what they think the little parts are, and what they do.

>> No.10322367

>>10322356

Yes. If not then kindly pay a visit to yahoo! answers parenting section.

>> No.10322369

Take your daughter's virginity.
You'll regret it if another guy takes it instead of you.

>> No.10322377

Telling your child not to do something makes them want to do it even more.

Let that sink in.

>> No.10322383

>>10322346
Take that insult back I'm not slutty and neither is my imaginary daughter. I just want for her to have as many chances to get off because I would like to watch.

Also OP if you haven't now, start working on becoming a pastry chef or at least start working on one thing you can make for her that's sweet as some sort of reward or to mark special occasions.

Speaking of food, be sure to stock up on popsicles in the summer. Don't get those ones with two sticks though because they're too wide. Get something smooth that she can let melt in her mouth.

>> No.10322390

You should make sure your child associates misbehavior with pain, but don't overdo it.

>> No.10322389

> I just want for her to have as many chances to get off because I would like to watch.
That's damn slutty, you are a repressed pervert who can't control his urges and if given the chance you would fuck 100 girls every day

>> No.10322400

>>10322369
This!!!
Imagine her moaning "oh daddy!"

>> No.10322401

"Don't fight the tape."

>> No.10322402

>>10322389
>if given the chance you would fuck 100 girls every day

Yeah that's right, but only to make 100 little girls that I could have live in my house with me.

>> No.10322408
File: 96 KB, 416x423, rustle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10322400
Please dont put bad idea into OP head.
I wouldnt want to see someone here sent to jail.

>> No.10322412

Spend as much time with your child as you can rather than letting them play games or watch tv alone. My parents never did much with me and it was pretty bad. Make sure he/she feels loved. Don't deny to drive him/her to a friend's house. Encourage him/her into a club or activity early.
As >>10322263 said
>In general, "good job, you worked hard!" is much better than "good job, you're so smart!"

>Even if the kid is smart and talented, at one point innate abilities aren't going to be enough, so it's best to instill in them the appreciation for hard work as early as possible.

If they fail something when they're taught to believe they're so smart, they'll lose confidence or just get angry.

>> No.10322417

>>10322400
>>10322401
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl9y3SIPt7o

>> No.10322430

I was expecting some shitty /tv/ thread about "parenting" I'm surprised /jp/ knows how to take care of children.

>> No.10322433

Teach him him/her the value of free market and how universal healthcare is bad for everyone

>> No.10322441

Enjoy your lifetime of slavery, I guess.

>> No.10322439

>>10322430
What did you expect from the lot of us?

>> No.10322461

To love freedom.

>> No.10322478

Incestでおk

>> No.10322571
File: 596 KB, 650x918, b9cd4041e5929f3d0342c4a287e72521.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10322148
well op, you posted my favorite 2hu so i'll respond. i'm a parent too and i suck at parenting. my mom and dad likewise sucked at parenting. the apple never falls far from the tree. but for what it's worth i'll offer a few things.

don't argue or fight with your SO in front of your kids.

don't get drunk and throw up all the time in front of your kids.

don't beat up your SO in front of your kids.

don't be a pussy. mean what you say and say what you mean. pussy parents are shit parents.

don't let your tv be a fucking babysitter.

don't act like a goddamn child in front of your kids. you're gonna be a parent so act your age.

on the positive side, if you do good things for other people, let your kids see that. but don't point it out. just let them observe.

>> No.10322578

Why is this shit still here while my thread about Showa Era music was deleted?

Oh right: a Touhou image. Carry on retard Janitor-san.

>> No.10322606

>>10322578
Settle down, anonymous-san!

>> No.10322614

Treat your kid with respect, but make sure they understand the concept and demand they treat you and others the same way.

Don't patronize them. They know when you're doing that and it will backfire. Level with them about everything.

Always make sure they know you love them and you've got their back. Teach loyalty and honor and the meaning of true morality, not fear of punishment.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action