[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.00 MB, 1200x1800, 1297539255473.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10213017 No.10213017[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Best resources for learning written Japanese?

Is it even sensible to want deeply to learn written Japanese but little interest in spoken Japanese? Spoken Japanese first would probably be best?

Thanks

>> No.10213030

Most people who learn Japanese learn to write first, or rather simultaneously as a way to learn to speak it.

I have the opposite desire, I'm trying to figure out how to get phonetic Japanese rather than memorizing moon runes. I have no interest in reading it.

>> No.10213034

Written Japanese is pretty much where everyone here starts out, so they can read VNs and other shit.

>> No.10213038

It might make it easier to think about it if you can speak it out loud. But I mean, there isn't really much to learn, if you can sing along with some anison you can probably speak japanese. Maybe not with the best pronounciation, but sufficient enough.

>> No.10213041

>Is it even sensible to want deeply to learn written Japanese but little interest in spoken Japanese? Spoken Japanese first would probably be best?

If your only desire is to play VNs go for it, you'll have to start out with writing either way for building your vocab up.
Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QkKNc3AYP5sOv23FRjBoCs2dDzHN83BuT1T_aRU21t0/edit

Resources:
http://pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c
http://pastebin.com/xUufY26D

>> No.10213048

>>>/a/76378633

Here now please delete your shitty thread.

>> No.10213046

I wonder where Most Ichiban Boyfriend has been. He hasn't posted in so long.

>> No.10213057

I find it to be such a bitch trying to learn japanese. English was much easier, because I already knew the alphabet. As soon as I had learned basic english I could play video games and read articles in the language and improve my knowledge. But with japanese, just to get to that point you need to know hundreds if not thousands of kanji.

Daily usage of a language is the easiest way to learn it, but with japanese you have to look for things that are on a level where you can understand it - you're basically stuck with stuff for elementary schoolers for a long time.

>> No.10213081

>>10213057

That's why I think that children have it the right way around. You learn to speak it first, then you can fill in your literacy afterwards once you have built up your vocabulary through audio media.

>> No.10213085

>>10213057
>you need to know thousands of kanji.

fixed

>> No.10213115
File: 49 KB, 420x248, 1351252223084.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10213017
Note that this will not make you fluent, and it will not help you with conversing with Japanese people or watching anime, but just reading. Listening will come over time and speaking can really only be learned well if you have someone to speak to.

How to read Japanese as quickly as possible:

1. Learn kana using whatever method. This should take two days. Heisig works fine if you need mnemonics for it.
2. Grind through RTK1 (w/ supplement if your copy doesn't have all 2010 jouyou kanji). This should take you no longer than three months.
3. Go through an intensive grammar book, like Introduction to Modern Japanese. Use a real textbook book with exercises. You should leave with a decent starting amount of vocab (maybe around 2,000 words). Take your time with this so you understand.

Now you can read. You will be slow and you'll be looking up words a lot, though, but this will decrease over time as you learn more and grow in fluency. If you want to grind extra vocab on the side the Core 2000 and Core 6000 decks are good.

And yes, neglecting speaking skills is fine if you aren't going to be speaking to anyone. If you need it later you can practice it then.

>> No.10213129

Protip #1 : Grind the fuck out of JLPT1-5 vocab and Core2k/6k(25000 words) after you're done with kanji within 6 months and play VNs. You can read most of the easy stuff after getting to the 10000 jukugo mark.

Protip #2: Don't waste too much time on memorizing kanji, I did the shit for a year and I still regret it to this day not doing vocab exercises while doing the kanji. I still got like 1000 words because of kunyomi, but you could do that within like 10 days of grinding, and the onyomi readings really helped for the vocab later on, but still. But yeah, supplement your kanji memorization with vocab.

Protip #3: Make use of the cram function on anki for repeated grinding.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action