[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 340 KB, 918x532, slam dunk anime review.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10102117 No.10102117 [Reply] [Original]

Question for those of you that have studied abroad in Japan:

Did you have tons of students mobbing you to join sports teams? Right now I am trying to decide if I want to go into baseball, basketball, or soccer. The captains and coaches at my HS (yes I am 18) have been calling me every day and asking if I've made up my mind yet. I'm 6'5", 250 lbs and white as a sheet, but I've never played a team sport before in my life. What do you think I should do? I don't really want to embarrass myself in front of these people, but it seems like a good way to meet people and make friends. Pic related

>> No.10102135

>>10102117
Given that you're probably a weaboo who stereotypes all the japanese you've ever met, and the japanese all stereotype you as an athletic american, it goes without saying that this is going to turn out very bad for you.

You brought this on yourself, fatass.

>> No.10102137

>>10102135
>butthurt

>> No.10102145

Just be a point guard in basketball. It takes little or no skill, and you'll tower over all your opponents anyway.

>> No.10102151

>>10102137
who r u quoting m8

>> No.10102167

>>10102145
>It takes little or no skill,

More like Center, point guards actually have to set up plays for the team and think

>> No.10102189
File: 233 KB, 364x504, Touch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you never played soccer before I wouldn't recommend it. Dribbling, passing and gaining control of the ball can be pretty tough for a beginner and you'd have to practice a lot. Being the goalkeeper is pretty easy as long as you're playing against beginners/average players, since you can use your hands.
Basketball is pretty easy. Even a monkey could learn most of the basics in a few weeks. Just practice shooting and try not to foul out.
Never played baseball since it's not very popular in my country though I'm pretty sure that becoming a decent pitcher/batter takes a lot of practice.

>> No.10102212

amerifat please go

>> No.10102226

>>10102212
HOW DID YOU DO THAT!
amerifat please go

>> No.10102324

I'd go with basketball, height is a big advantage and you can fall into playing center without any experience. If your team knows how to play you, you don't really need to bother practicing dribbling or shooting from a distance much. Just rebound + shoot, rebound + pass, lay-ups, foul shots, and defence. Especially foul shots, high schoolers don't really know how to defend against a big guy so they'll either let you by or take a swipe and end up fouling.

Or you could play first base, but only if you're able to hit the ball a little. If you're completely useless at a batting cage it'd take too long to catch up.

>> No.10102339

why don't you ask >>>/sp/ or >>>/trv/?

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action