[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 175 KB, 1200x1200, 8d81322884ff099c4b7a026d0837b89d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7171017 No.7171017 [Reply] [Original]

I'm here to ask: what is the best country with the best schools to enter the manga comicsist profession?
The kind of school that will teach me how to make deep soulful stories that will tug at people's feelings like guitar strings and make them think and feel. Like the manga "Goodnight PunPun."
And also where it pays better.

>> No.7171021

there's no school that will teach you that

>> No.7171034
File: 34 KB, 736x717, E9TjQPlUcAYs5A9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The school of life

>> No.7171035

Just move straight to Japan if you insist in manga profession

>> No.7171036

>>7171017
There a multiple schools around the world that teach comic art and creation, America included, though I doubt any can really teach you how to make "deep soulful stories that will tug at people's feelings like guitar strings and make them think and feel", that's on you, and your own creative abilities.
As for which country pays the best in the comic field? It's a bit difficult to say - Japan has made some very financially successful comic creators, but unless you're there as one of the greats, you'll probably be barely scraping by AND have terrible working conditions to boot.
America's industry is collapsing, though graphic novels, indie, and particularly children's comics are doing quite well (though that doesn't seem to be what you want to do).
Europe is a little vague, there seems to be a larger culture of reading comics there, but there doesn't seem to be much success from their comics internationally; nor is there much evidence that they're doing well domestically either, or I'm sure we'd being seeing more of it on the internet. Surely people would be sharing and pirating European comics as much as Manga if they were so loved, right?

Honestly though, expecting to somehow get into comics professionally is like expecting your little garage band to make it big - you're dreaming.
Make your dream comic as a hobby, and see if any publishers are interested; if not, go indie.
If you want to study comics in school, that fine, but be sure that the course's skills can be applicable in other industries such as animation, or video games, etc. (or study something else afterwards).

>> No.7171193

>>7171036
Did you just type what you read on quora lol?

>> No.7171301

>>7171017
There's no school that's going to teach you that. If there was, it would be world famous and well well beyond your means.
But there's no evidence that even the schools in japan will actually make you more likely to succeed as a professional manga artist or storyteller.

>>7171035
You don't have to, but it would probably help. Although having to juggle whatever you do to keep your visa with making manga will likely not end well as those who have tried can attest. IMO it's better to get into japan THROUGH manga rather than FOR manga. Become a publishable author first, THEN go. Ideally, get published first. Get in on an artist visa, or something that will allow you to work while you're there. Publishers aren't going to work with somebody unless they can do it legally and above board, so you need to solve that problem first, and it's not an easy problem to solve. Although that might only be a temporary problem, maybe in the future more publishers will be willing to work with authors overseas.

>> No.7171466

>>7171193
Interesting critique, I just wish I knew what it meant.

>> No.7171955

>>7171466
Ask on quora

>> No.7171984

>>7171955
Okay, so I'm standing on my quora, so what does it mean?

>> No.7172067

>>7171984
ask!

>> No.7172133

>>7172067
I DID!

>> No.7172335

>>7172133
ask quora, not me!

>> No.7172535

>>7171034
It sounds pretentious, but it's true. Write what you know. Not necessarily writing the mundane or something autobiographical, but an inner, underlying truth. If you want to create works like Punpun, Aku no Hana or Welcome to the NHK, you need to understand that these are, at their core, uncomfortably personal. They are a direct reflection of the author's feelings and experiences, their values and outlook on life. I see a lot of young authors wanting to create something like this or something like that. And they are diligent students, learning all about dramaturgy and story structure, researching the works of masters and they take notes and start to write and - it's okay. It's an okay work, but not the great emotional impact they had been hoping for. But they had acquired great taste and knowledge, so why did their work fall flat? Because, you guessed it, it lacked the author's true authentic voice. Their work becomes referential and ultimately shallow. If you want to tell a good story, study dramaturgy. If you want to tell a great story, have something important to say. The same principle rings true for visual art and illustrations.

>> No.7172551

>>7171017
all these people giving you long paragraph answers are pre/beg/ tier btw

>> No.7172560

>>7172551
Nice crabbing. Subtle, yet efficient. I rate this bait a solid seven outta ten!

>> No.7172561

>>7172560
Im not trying to crab anyone out of drawing, I'm just saying begs spend all day giving people art advice when they are really really bad at drawing.

>> No.7172573

>>7172561
It's late evening. People can draw all day and help some anons out before they go to bed. You're right that a lot of advice on this board is outright bad, but opinions in this thread have been reasonable so far. You, on the other hand, contributed nothing

>> No.7172644
File: 149 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7172335

>> No.7172853

Either Chile has the best art education or artists from Chile just have higher genetics

>> No.7173036
File: 8 KB, 267x188, images (17).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Art school can teach you drawing skill but drawing skill doesn't help with knowing what to draw

Studying creative writing allows you to understand how to structure a story and esit your text, it does not help coming up with new unique ideas

If you went to the greatest music academy in the world to learn guitar you could easily master how to play but that wouldn't help you come up with new music that people would care about.
Jimi hendrix wasn't the most skilled guitarist back in -68, not even close but he was innovative and creative

School teaches skills, artists can teach creativity.
Art teachers are almost always skilled artists who failed to make it and took on teaching as a compromise.
If they had exceptional creativity they wouldn't be teachers.
And since innovative creative artosts are so rare, what makes you a worthy student above all others when millions around the world are desperately trying to find out how to become successful in the arts?

If you have the passion and creativity it takes then you will find it out yourself one way or another, if you don't then it doesn't really matter which school you go to or how much you grind.

Of course you could become an apprentice for an innovative creative artist but again, what makes you stand out from the rest who all want to be in that same position?

Pic related, peak skill, no creativity