[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 14 KB, 400x400, FkWlksBw_400x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7037335 No.7037335 [Reply] [Original]

Seriously, why is art/animation school so goddamn expensive?

>> No.7037347

>>7037335
because enough people are willing to pay for it

>> No.7037378

It used to be good and it looks good on a resume I guess

>> No.7037387

>>7037335
18 year olds have no sense for money (me. I was that 18 year old)

>> No.7037392

>animation is a field many want to get into
>children from rich famalies are attracted to studying art for some reason over inflates the actual value people would actually be willing to learn and sets a bad precedent where the schools expect you to pay for the expensive art projects they give out of your pocket.
>the school in picrel is based in california
>the general population has been gaslighted into needing degrees and in some cases its necessary to get a decent job
there ya go

>> No.7038582

>>7037335
Supply and demand.

Also for university in general, probably related to the fact student loans are backed by the federal government, so colleges know they will get paid no matter what.

>>7037392
The gaslight into needing a degree thing is true. Goes for college in general. I went to animation school, even knowing that you don't need a degree. Just because 12 years of public education didn't prepare me for anything BUT going to college. Thinking about when they asked us what schools we wanted to go to before asking if we wanted to go to college at all, or even what we wanted to do.
I knew ahead of time there's no need for a degree in animation, but I didn't know what else to do. I was also incredibly undisciplined and felt that if I tried to learn anything on my own it would devolve into me just sitting arround and being a bum. At least I had some kind of goal, lot of people I went to highschool with all went to college without even having any idea what they wanted to major in.

>> No.7038605

>>7037335
government mucking about in the market

>> No.7038627

Government grants and loan guarantees doled out to double digit IQ, "D" grade students with zero credit history will do that. Surface level thinker midwit retards will act like high tuition rates are some organic market condition that just materialized out of nowhere, but as usual, they're fucking retarded and are hardly worth discussing things with. They'll tell you it's better in Europe where they have 40% income taxes and 20+% VAT on middling wagies because their two years in some shitty art school were free* (LOL).

>> No.7038630

>>7038627
Western and Northern Europe are better countries to live in by almost every available metric.

>inb4 muh gdp per capita
Yes great, you can by a 10000 inch TV for $3, now try to walk somewhere without a car

>> No.7038642
File: 409 KB, 1229x820, IMG_1677.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

While I'm a loser and I don't give a shit, I watched a friend go from a meth addict in highschool to an alcoholic making almost 200k a year on the back of a couple of inexpensive certifications. I doubt he paid even $5,000 total for the equipment he needed.

Disclaimer: he obviously needed quite a bit of experience before he started making that kind of money-but what got him those positions initially was his self directed education. No nepotism or ass kissing and most importantly: no debt

>> No.7038668
File: 2.18 MB, 4032x3024, IMG_2786.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7038630
Enjoy your two hour two kilometer commute on the basedbus nigga. I walk 4 miles every morning around a beautiful lake near my American apartment, and then drive the 2018 model American Made car (I paid off with a years' discrepancy in our tax deductions) 15 minutes to my quaint wagie job where my take home pay of $40,000 USD is greater than a great many of Europe's doctors.

>> No.7038697
File: 1.78 MB, 1920x1080, notice.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

POV: You are Calarts Teacher with Calarts Students, You are in danger.

>> No.7038708

>>7038668
>Enjoy your two hour two kilometer commute on the basedbus nigga
Proving that Americans have absolutely no idea what they're talking about
>proceeds to brag about material possessions rather than any quality of level

LMAO Definitely proving that Americans have no idea what they're talking about

>> No.7038731

>>7038582
>I knew ahead of time there's no need for a degree in animation, but I didn't know what else to do. I was also incredibly undisciplined and felt that if I tried to learn anything on my own it would devolve into me just sitting around and being a bum.
same but at times i kinda regret it i feel like if hadn't doubted my abilities or commitment i could've learnt a lot more by now and my own portfolio since i was animating and drawing almost everyday before i went to art school which ironically has me doing a lot less of that and it's hard to justify staying home and practicing art for free withhout sounding like a bum.
>At least I had some kind of goal, lot of people I went to highschool with all went to college without even having any idea what they wanted to major in.
yeah i realized a lot of the one i knew went into coding for some reason despite a lot of them struggling to use a computer in high school for anything outside of a web browser majority of them doing it seem to think that's where the money is.

>> No.7038735

>>7038668
>bragging about being material stuff when you live in an apartment, drive a 6 year old car and earn less than average

Anon...

>> No.7038738

>>7038668
>American Made

So you mean all the parts made in Mexico and then assembled by Mexicans across the border to give it the Made In USA stamp so retards like you will eat it up?

>> No.7038747
File: 34 KB, 500x500, avatars-fLcMuYiaIi9D97sN-Z18GwQ-t500x500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7038668
America really is a good country, isn't it?

>> No.7038939

>>7038731
>but at times i kinda regret it i feel like if hadn't doubted my abilities or commitment i could've learnt a lot more by now
Oh yeah I feel this too.
Though it is a little different, I wasn't drawing a lot until the end of highschool, and even then I had no idea how to draw. So I actually appreciated all of the fundamentals I had to learn when starting college. I think part of it too is that I am better now than I was, so it's easy to look back and say "well I could have figured it out". But no use regretting anything, I am where I am and I just have to keep moving forward.

>a lot of the one i knew went into coding
Oh yeah, coding was the default "you can make money" option for anybody who could pass Algebra 1.
I myself was going toward computer science, but halfway through a computer class in highschool I just got dreadfully bored of it. That's when I decided to get into animation and start learning how to draw. I had always made animations for fun with stopmotion but never knew how to draw before this.

>despite a lot of them struggling to use a computer in high school for anything outside of a web browser
I think this is because to a lot of adults, being able to use basic computer functions seems impressive, so a lot of kids got praise from their parents. Hearing stuff like "woah you set up the printer? You're a computer genius" so when there was this idea that any programmer could get a six figure job at apple with a degree, it became a really enticing option.

>> No.7039637

>>7037335
because there are people who will pay for it
but there are alternatives to art colleges
go to ateliers or private schools
you won't get a "degree" but that doesn't matter unless you plan on becoming a professor

>> No.7039650
File: 37 KB, 205x245, 1691538679822940.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7038735
>anon is below the material wealth of the average american
>still gets to lord it up over europoors that can't even afford dryers or air conditioning

>> No.7039678

>>7039650
You Americans literally pay black guys to rail your wives because they do it better and saves you the trouble lmao you sure have us beat mister!

>> No.7039688

>>7038668
This is being destroyed by land developers

>> No.7039755
File: 68 KB, 1024x868, IMG_1511.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7038735
>six year old car
Car was bought new with 2,000 miles on it in 2019-forgot to mention-and paid off in a year. Certainly not going to discard it just 40,000 miles later! That was a miscommunication on my part

>apartment
When you understand how property taxes work you realize that home ownership is something of an illusion in the states. A single bedroom apartment fits my lifestyle just fine for now, a house would be preferable-but when an assessor from the state can come by and arbitrarily decide your house is worth half a million dollars just to make it so you have to pay 10k a year to maintain "ownership" of it it becomes a less attractive proposition.

>less than average
True, and still I have a car, 85-inch tv, PS5, Switch, a laptop with a 4060, home gym and so on. I don't really game anymore much at all but they're nice to have when friends are over.

>>7038738
Mexico is in continental North America. American made, baby!

>>7039678
Non-sequitur. For this to be remotely offensive I'd have to be willfully ignorant of why so many European women travel to Jamaica.

We can't control the behaviors of others, which is precisely why a more laissez-faire approach to internal governance (as opposed to external (immigration, international trade, military etc.) is preferable to begin with. Most if the US' problems stem from its population doubling over such a short time as much or moreso than anything else

>> No.7040697

>>7038939
>I myself was going toward computer science, but halfway through a computer class in highschool I just got dreadfully bored of it.
same but it was in another collage instead my mother was rushing me to go there since they were doing some government program thing where the government pays for your tuition so i didn't get much time to properly think through what i was going through with i originally wanted to do animation there but they didn't have enough people applying for the major so i ended having to do IT and got bored by then end of the first year. It didn't help too that classes were online and that they messed up my grades and i had to repeat the year could've avoided that if i went to do a few summer classes which i honestly didn't know they called me asking if i wanted to do them but i said no because they didn't explain to me that's what they were for honestly everything during covid and and a bit after was just a big mess of poor decisions.
>I think this is because to a lot of adults, being able to use basic computer functions seems impressive, so a lot of kids got praise from their parents. Hearing stuff like "woah you set up the printer? You're a computer genius" so when there was this idea that any programmer could get a six figure job at apple with a degree, it became a really enticing option.
yeah this caught me too and when i started coding i that while i was serviceable but not really that great at it i also didn't really like or cared for it as much as i thought i would.

>> No.7040717

>>7039650
No air conditioning is one of the primary reasons I want to leave Europe and never come back

>> No.7041201

>>7037335
because most artists are commies with mommie's and daddie's money
getting fleeced is fetish for those muppets

>> No.7041352

>>7039755
So why does North-West Europe still beat america in every single quality of life index?

>> No.7041358

>>7041352
depends on the state actually

>> No.7041361

>>7041358
despite it being a uniparty in the US, living in a red state is still an order shittier than a blue state.

>> No.7041363

>>7041352
>after putting shoddy numbers into an excel spreadsheet and massaging it for a bit we have created a sciency sounding chart that shows in group is the best and outgroup smells bad
Who cares?

>> No.7043028

>>7038642
l m a o

>> No.7044135

>>7038582
was it worth going to college for animation? did you learn from it as an artist, do you work in the industry or have an art job?

>> No.7044259

>>7044135
Still there now so can't really say yet.

>> No.7044613

>>7040697
Oh yeah covid was fucked. I was still in hs for the lockdown which sucked, but at least I didn't have online college. The online college thing is so wild too since it really let the cat out of the bag on how useless it can really be since to the university, an online class is the same thing as in person. At that point you are already on your own, basically just watching expensive tutorial videos. Might as well use youtube.

>> No.7044670

>>7041358
Then you can do the same for Europe. Why do the equivalent top provinces, shires, etc in North-West Europe beat the equivalent top state in American in every single quality of life index?

>> No.7044671

>>7041363
Did you pass high school?

>> No.7044868

>>7037335
In Europe you can get University education basically for free or for like 2-3k per year, and you get to study in kino art academies with museums inside of them.
I definitely don't get why Americans are willing to get in huge debt to study arts especially, since they don't teach you shit to begin with and you basically get into an indoctrination camp these days.

>> No.7044940
File: 1.17 MB, 1024x1024, IMG_2828.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7044868
>it's basically free, in exchange for these two years of basically free school you're just taxed way more for the rest of your life if you make anywhere near an average wage, nbd

Americans can get into debt, Europeans are born into it.

>> No.7044944

>>7044940
You americans are so funny man

>> No.7044946

Not defending how unhinged schools in the US are, but at least in Western Europe things aren't so much better outside of a few great exceptions.