[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 44 KB, 593x593, ec1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6892504 No.6892504 [Reply] [Original]

I've tried "just drawing", books, videos, etc but perspective flap out ruins my brain. Is there a way a retard like me can actually learn it?

>> No.6892507

>>6892504
Download an old copy of Sketchup or similiar, it's the 3D program for tards and insanely easy. Doing things in 3D makes you understand perspective really easily.

>> No.6892511

just put a single dot on a page bruv

>> No.6892513

>>6892504
No, you gotta press the reset button and hope for better stats on your next run.

>> No.6892522

>>6892504
You just gotta keep pushing by applying what you've learned while "just drawing."
Anons here won't appreciate the effort you put in though, so be wary of getting critique from this place

>> No.6892524

Have you tried actually using a ruler, dots, and drawing your perspective lines? Or is this another "I read about it so why can't I just magically do it" thread where OP doesn't even put into practice what he read about?

>> No.6892733

>>6892504
>Always go a little further into the water than you feel you're capable of being in.

>> No.6892819

>>6892504

Ironically, you are probably looking at things from a bad perspective.
People parrot the vanishing point horizon line shit, but never explain the purpose it is used for. This is because most artists are like you, and don't understand perspective.
Perspective is just how things distort when distanced from a viewpoint.
This viewpoint is the "camera", or your eyes when looking at things. The exaggeration of distortion relies on some math, but to be simple it relies on a 'focal point'. don't let the name fool you, think of it as how small something looks from a certain distance. The longer focal point, the smaller something a short distance away is.

Those are the basics of perspective.
Just remember these words: orientation (of the object in space), direction (that faces of the object is being viewed from), and distortion (what was discussed above).
If you are still confused, I could give you an example, but this isn’t really the place for a longform lecture.

>> No.6893763

>>6892504
go through how to draw by scott robertson and follow along for the entire book. It's made to be as idiot proof as possible (and as a result it's incredibly boring) so you should be able to work through it. I can't give you a better answer; one day when I was talking with an art friend and we were drawing together, something he showed me suddenly made it click in my head, and depth in drawings was now something I grasped.

>> No.6893767

>>6893763
Robertson is like the worst for understanding perspective. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking for a specific measuring method to use in a piece you're actively working on. But maybe that was just my experience as someone who struggles with perspective

>> No.6893780

>>6893767
robertson isn't teaching you how to understand perspective. He's teaching you how to draw it, and the distinction matters. If you measure everything out, you WILL draw correct perspective every time. The only way to get it wrong is if you forget the rules to his method or the method itself. The only way to learn is to think about it, and there's always the possibility that you just don't have an intuitive sense for it at all.
Don't take that ^ as me crabbing or trying to discourage, though. You don't need to necessarily understand something to draw it competently, it only makes it easier. In fact, I'd say the overwhelming majority of artists never quite learn how to draw perspective in a way that immediately shows off the depth of the drawing. I've only seen a few artists/pieces in my life that have pulled it off, rather than just having form, if that makes sense.

>> No.6893788

>>6893780
Ah, I see what you're saying. I'm working on understanding perspective on an intuitive level more and more, so I was approaching it from that angle

>> No.6893798

>>6893788
Don't do drawabox since it's somebody trying to turn the dynamic bible into an arbitrary study session, but I do think freehanding boxes and then checking them is a good way to train your eye then. The intuition should follow eventually, in the same way if you study enough anatomy you can begin to intuit how muscles will look from different angles based on how they press against each other and attach to the bones.

>> No.6895432

>>6892504
You have painter-brain. Sorry but once you've gone too far down the path of rendering and painting it will be impossible to learn perspective