[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 63 KB, 632x316, 1695917445134453.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6863058 No.6863058 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, folks, aspiring drawfag here.

Let's say you started making a manga and you wanted it to get popular and get some fans or at least more people to check it out, what would you recommend? And which platform sounds more lucrative for the artist in the long-term? I've been working on a manga for some time now, but I'm wondering whether I should publish it to Webtoon or not.

I also saw that Jump launch an 'Indie Serialization' site called 'Jump Rookie' in which mangaka can win monthly contests and then have their series published, they accept overseas submission as long as the language is in Japanese.

>> No.6863078
File: 46 KB, 284x323, nana.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6863058
Before choosing Webtoon, you should seriously properly read ALL the terms of service
Webtoon is not like Tapas
Webtoon 100% owns your work, webtoon acts like a publication, and they technically own the IP the moment you upload it to the site
Some dude had problems with entering the Tezuka Award because he hosted his manga on Webtoon
I honestly think, that unless you like Webtoon as a company and look forward to working with them long term you should choose a non binding hosting service such as Tapas or Twitter

Actually, Twitter is honestly much better for manga than webtoon. Twitter manga blows up instantaneously if it is good, just include everything in one thread and you should be good. Twitter has no real content guidelines, and they hold 0 rights to anything you do

>> No.6863082

>>6863078
>Webtoon 100% owns your work, webtoon acts like a publication, and they technically own the IP the moment you upload it to the site
This is not true...certainly not for canvas. Maybe for the Webtoons Originals they try to pull that shit. but just uploading your stuff to a hosting site doesn't automatically make it their legal property that's insane.

>> No.6863085

>>6863078
>CANVAS is our self-publishing platform, where you can publish your own comics. You must create an account with WEBTOON in order to use CANVAS. When you post on WEBTOON CANVAS, you will always keep ownership over your work. You will own all of your intellectual property, and you can continue to promote your work on social media or other publishing platforms, while utilizing the tools we offer on CANVAS.
???

>> No.6863101

Still waiting for that one anon who said he's launching a platform that allows everything

>> No.6863106

>>6863058
Webtoons is the way to go, Anon. They are more popular than manga nowadays, at least with most Zoomers
Millenials are the only ones that still read manga

>> No.6863908

>>6863106
They read black and white webtoons?

>> No.6864044

>>6863058
How is this even a question? Just look at the stuff they're made to host. Clearly two different formats. Pick the one you think fits your comic better and do that one. Now set your focus on making an actually good, actually marketable comic.

>> No.6864068

>>6863106
>They are more popular than manga nowadays, at least with most Zoomers
source?

>> No.6864075

>>6863058
>and get some fans or at least more people to check it out, what would you recommend?
Appeal to people's sex drives. Make characters that embody their power fantasy. Either lean into gratuitous violence or over cuteness. Use cliffhangers.

>> No.6864196

>>6863058
>Jump launches Jump Rookie
>Can only use Japanese language
>Has to read right to left
Are they retarded? You have the opportunity to get talents from all over the world, and fresh new comic ideas... and you slap such arbitrary rules ruining the possibility?

Just translate the fucking pages, and shove a disclaimer telling Japs the comics reads left to right (or mirror it).

>> No.6864202

>>6864196
They already have something for that you retard.
https://medibang.com/mpc/

Not every single thing on the internet has to be made for an international market.

>> No.6864210

>>6864202
Huh, first I'd heard of it. I can see it's full of nothing be manga rip offs though, which is disappointing.

>Not every single thing on the internet has to be made for an international market.
No, but when you have an open competition for everyone to compete to get new creative works (in other words a global competition), it helps to make it easier for them to enter.
In other words; the end market is Japanese, but the port of entry is for everyone.

>> No.6864217

>>6864210
>No, but when you have an open competition for everyone to compete
It's an open competition for anyone who can make works in japanese to compete. Doesn't the whole "must be in japanese" thing make it obvious? They are a japanese company. They publish japanese fiction, for their japanese audience. They don't have to have every submission portal be global. Especially when they already have one that's specifically made for the thing you're demanding.

>> No.6864230

>>6864217
>They are a japanese company. They publish japanese fiction, for their japanese audience. They don't have to have every submission portal be global.
If you're trying to get global talent, you need to make some concessions. Allowing to submit in their own language would be the main one, otherwise your essentially chasing away any talented person who may not speak Japanese (essentially all of them)
>Especially when they already have one that's specifically made for the thing you're demanding.
That said, I was more critical when they didn't actually have a proper international entry point, so whatever.

>> No.6864245

>>6863106
Is there a reason to appeal to zoomers over millennials? As opposed to both groups looking for an alternative?
Honestly, I have no particular target audience with generational appeal because my target is more interest based than age based. But don't pander to gender tendies and sexualize both my men and women, which fills a void with both millennials and zoomers.

>> No.6864555
File: 165 KB, 756x660, 1638838758064.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6863078
>Webtoon 100% owns your work
Alright, which site would you recomend to upload comics to? I've been uploading comic pages to New Grounds, Twitter, and Pixiv. It's okay but I think those platforms aren't really meant to host full chapters from an ongoing comic, Pixiv does but I don't think many people read them on that site.

>> No.6864794

>>6863078
>>6863085
>>6863082
People get confused because by uploading to platforms and contests you grant permission to them to publish your work there and use it in banners but it's worded weird in the terms for legal reasons

Contests depending on their rules reject previously published work even if it's not officially published but it depends on the rules of the contest itself

>> No.6864863

>>6863058
How costly is it to go the old school route and self host?
How do artists even get their comic noticed?

>> No.6865011
File: 12 KB, 384x313, 1595468789455.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6864863
If anybody knew then their comic would be noticed.

>> No.6865154

>>6863058
" work as an assistant on a webtoon. The bosses are a bunch of idiots who really want the work to be as uncreative as possible but profitable. If it can't be sold to fujoshis, it's really rare to get support (because, well, that's really the target audience of the website), plus, you'll get loads of censorship.They pay 5k per chapter and they hire you for an average of 42 chapters If you manage to get serialized.
they pay 200k for the rights to your series if it gets animation and merch. I think they don't give you royalties.Please don't take my information as absolute; I know this secondhand, so what I'm telling you might be incorrect.

>> No.6865162
File: 18 KB, 284x283, 1693304135269484.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6863106
manga is way bigger, anon. Just look at all the Makima fanart there is. You don't get those numbers from Tower of God or True Beauty

>> No.6865234

>>6864863
It's not expensive at all and you have total control. Maybe like $15-20 a year to buy a domain name, then $15 a month for a website host. Use Wordpress with Elementor or set up an alternative (not Comic Easel, it's not supported anymore)
Then you can cross post to other comic sites with partial content and say "If you want to read the rest, go to my website"
There's other stuff you can do, too. I know Webtoon has a big audience, but some people never read past the Originals section and most the readers are high school girls who share 1 braincell

>> No.6868083

>>6865234
You could also find a reseller to host for $2-5 a month

>> No.6868190

>>6865162
>You don't get those numbers from Tower of God or True Beauty
You can't judge just by outliers, though I will admit I've seen very little webtoons fan-art out there. At the very least, that shows that Manga's fanbase is far more fervent.

>> No.6870873

Bumpin

>> No.6873292

>>6863058
>aspiring drawfag here.
better start drawing