[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique


View post   

File: 143 KB, 650x438, hdhfrg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6834521 No.6834521 [Reply] [Original]

How is it possible that no one can replicate this type of art anymore, except David Finch who tries, but after the 90s they all fell into a bottomless pit, it's like everything is crap, but ending with crying, there are more tutorials for shade like this like Buscema

>> No.6834531
File: 1.80 MB, 827x1275, 289000686.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6834531

>>6834521

>> No.6834532

>>6834521
>except David Finch who tries
Answered your own question.
Because nobody else is trying, everyone wants to do clean digital likes or muh epic lineless. Nobody wants to evoke silver age american comics.

>> No.6834535

whats so hard about this? I've seen 13 year olds on twitter doing it.

>> No.6834541
File: 120 KB, 676x900, RADB591B2013419_16638.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6834541

>>6834532
Yeah, I don't understand why they prefer the empty and generic work with clean lines and boring backgrounds, the comics of the silver age were way above what they do today, they had drama in the lines, there was movement.

>> No.6834545

>>6834535
13-year-olds make shitty calarts, adults make shitty calarts, the industry is ruined, don't come here to fuck with your stupid irony

>> No.6834576

>>6834541
it's just kinda tacky and the way they do lines is kind of formulaic. it's like artists develop a way of hatching and all the works of a particular artist look like to each other, which is good for consistency where you're doing sequential works or multi-piece projects, but it's also the result of being formulaic. there's also the association with these early iron age high ANE-admixed steppe nomads with modern steroid bodies.
there are much better shading using hatches in art throughout history that even less people are doing that modern "inkers" ignore.

>> No.6834619
File: 749 KB, 1396x1350, 20230909_111059.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6834619

>>6834521
There's plenty
You just don't see them because:
1. No one gives a fuck about western comics anymore
2. Manga and webtoons which are produced on tight deadlines and shoe-string budgets are leagues more popular
3. Since there's no future in the market, especially in the high-quality low-output niche, there's no interest from the talent who are instead funneled into production art or if low quality webtoons and Marvel/DC comics/alt covers

>> No.6834621
File: 373 KB, 1250x723, 20230909_111021.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6834621

>>6834619
Pics are from Richard Friend's Blasterkid.

If there was more of a market he'd probably be working on it fulltime, but he's been working penciling oddjobs and art Patreon the past number of years just to support himself.

>> No.6834622

>>6834619
>>6834621
Is this style good for making a graphic novel?

>> No.6834623

>>6834521
Nobody does it anymore because it'a no appealing to look at and super tacky.
The reason so many drew like this pre 90s was because that was the norm, but now that no one likes this style anymore no sane artist is gonna submit themselves to churning out formulaic campy work like this.

>> No.6834624

>>6834623
show me an example of something not vulgar and nice modern according to your

>> No.6834626
File: 184 KB, 1000x900, wally wood panel good lord.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6834626

>>6834521
Agree. Wally Wood set the gold standard for light & shadow and influenced a couple of generations.
Computer color where light & shadow is done digitally looks like literal ass.
>>6834535
>whats so hard about this? I've seen 13 year olds on twitter doing it.
post 'em

>> No.6834630

>>6834623
Modern Comics with this style do well, it's just it offends the trannies on management because it takes longer and inspires instead of demoralizing the reader with ugly shit drawn by people with the skill of toddlers.

>> No.6834631

>>6834626
What a fitting facial expression for that dialogue lmfao

>> No.6834632
File: 282 KB, 800x1208, Vagabond v20 052.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6834632

>nobody does it any more
>no one can replicate this type of art anymore
What the fuck are you retards smoking? The only reason it's not everywhere is because people mostly use nib pens instead of brushes for everything now, or aimed for thinner pen-like strokes with their brush (pic related). That's it. It isn't a lack of ability, it's just a shift in what people WANT to draw. Same reason nobody's really draw mickey mouse shit anymore.
If you're talking about the lighting specifically, that's just basic comicbook shading. It's still common. Read less bargain-bin garbage and you'll find it.

>> No.6834851

>>6834626
>post 'em
I would if I had twitter and knew the name... I saw their work posted to ic earlier this year. could have been 16.

>> No.6834865

>>6834521
are you the retard that keeps posting inking threads every week?
what do you get out of this?

>> No.6835240

>>6834865
you're the retarded little yellow cock lover who posts anime shit, go to your thread

>> No.6835241

>>6834521
rendering. not shading. rendering.

>> No.6835244

>>6834632
This is garbage. Stop posting manga. He doesnt even draw the backgrounds. Just a simple character with shitty anatomy. Even the robe is all digital tones for the texture.

>> No.6835245

>>6834632
That one has a small dick, this thread is for Westerners

>> No.6835250

>make your light source come from above.
>add a simple crescent-shaped shadow to the bottom of each of your stupid bubble anatomy forms

the death of creativity

>> No.6835267
File: 1.28 MB, 1289x751, bernie-wrightson-frankenstein.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6835267

I'm more of a bernie wrightson guy. I've tried to mimic his style of rendering but it's straight up impossible for me digitally

>> No.6835274

>>6835245
>>6835244
>>6835240

Take your pills schizo, and stop making retarded ass threads you contribute nothing to. Guarantee you've never even tried to ink nor make a comic. you're a permabeg loser who rationalize his taste in art without having the knowledge or proficiency to do so.
Go talk about SOVL or muh lost esoteric 19th century knowledge with all the other brainlets.
you don't draw (or you just started yesterday) and it shows.

>> No.6835281
File: 341 KB, 2048x1092, kek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6835281

mogged by some random furry on the internet, kek

>> No.6835284
File: 865 KB, 1600x2000, kekek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6835284

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/28ObOg lmao even

>> No.6835306

>ree why doesn't anyone still draw my homoerotic Frazetta inspired bare chested men ree
1. You're gay
2. crosshatching is tacky and gimmicky
3. No one cares about your personal taste

>> No.6835319
File: 180 KB, 1024x670, abstraction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6835319

>I need A LOT of lines to make my statement
Designed simplicity will never be beat, OP

>> No.6835334

>>6835306
Is there cross hatching tho?
I only see hatching lines

>> No.6835406

>>6835334
semantics, literally nobody cares

>> No.6835469

>>6835319
>>I need A LOT of lines to make my statement
He says mockingly... using words composed of many lines. Ngmi.

>> No.6835492

>>6835469
you're so pathetic it's sad

>> No.6835496

>>6835492
I am? I think there's a time and place for all styles. Why limit yourself?

>> No.6835567

>>6835306
crosshatching/hatching is only gimmicky when it's done by inkcels who mostly know hatching from 1900s illustrators and comics. because they view it as a gimmick and don't even realize it.

>> No.6835631

>>6834851
this guy?
https://x.com/TheArtJedi

>> No.6835646

>>6835274
Fuck you, you loser who tries to draw stupid shit by Asian pedophiles, you useless

>> No.6835650
File: 229 KB, 220x210, gross-disgusted.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6835650

>>6835274
Please, faggot go to your anime pedophile shit thread

>> No.6835662

>>6835631
lol it was him but turns out I didn't read and thought the cover was his. it's David finch. I didn't look close, I'm not particularly into this sort of art.

>> No.6835663

>>6835240
>>6835244
>>6835245
>>6835646
>>6835650
Why so mad? Inkwork is inkwork, doesn't matter which side of the pacific it was done on.

>> No.6835667

>>6834541
I don't see the appeal, the lines just make the woman look like a hairy monkey

>> No.6835676

>>6835667
>make the woman look like a hairy monkey
you say that like it's a bad thing

>> No.6835681

>>6835663
It is not ink, it is pre-designed textures, the Japanese do not render shadows with ink.

>> No.6835687
File: 2.57 MB, 364x282, inherent-vice-22-gif-watch-the-film-wtf-watch-the-film-saint-pauly.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6835687

>>6835667
The anime is full of errors like, shitty anatomy, unreproducible head in 3D, rubbery and oily shadows and shines impossible in reality and you don't find any errors? Tell yourself another story asianfag.

>> No.6835693

>>6835631
cool to see an 18 year old pick up that 90s extreme style. hope it makes a comeback, it's better than the watered down animu & tumblr shit most people that age are into.

>> No.6835707
File: 1.07 MB, 683x911, 1665184528084634.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6835707

>>6835681
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JJzHfEfjo
It's ink done entirely in trad and any further denial is pure undiluted delusion.
Here's another random dude I remembered.
https://twitter.com/Matsubara_Toshi/status/1670327553331191809

Quit being so mad. East and west, it's all the same shit.

>> No.6835824

>>6835687
You will say anything and everything but at the end of the day what your gay ass likes and what my based ass likes are different and that's all. Now eat shit granny fucker

>> No.6835825

>>6835496
This. Variety is the spice if life, gay faggots that want to control what you can like and create should kill themselves.

/Thread

>> No.6835845
File: 406 KB, 220x165, hknylcnsy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6835845

>>6835824
That your ass likes things gives you away, stop using faggot analogies that you sink alone, go try to draw yellow shit.

>> No.6836034
File: 418 KB, 1280x720, imgonline-com-ua-Engraved-picture-Zp4MdiYQIvO.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6836034

Guise..
This is frig**n amazeballs..

>> No.6836052

>>6834621
Holy fucking hell did Richard Friend draw that? I thought he was just an inker

>> No.6836183
File: 175 KB, 755x439, im146680.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6836183

>>6834521
mogged by some spanish dude

>> No.6836196

>>6834521
probably because there’s no point sweating over inks that no one will ever see since marvel will hire a 3 dollar an hour colorist to shit all over your work with paint by the numbers pillow shading

>> No.6836207

>>6835845
On it

>> No.6836218

>>6836183
Well Iberia is the true cradle of European excellence.
The blood of Rome, Germania, Galia and Persia. Unblemished by Anglo filth.

>> No.6836223

>>6836052
>I thought he was just an inker
It takes drawing skill to be an inker, it's why they're sometimes called finishers (some of the best inkers in comic history also did their own pencils and inked others, like Wally Wood).
Also Richard Friend has a great channel, love how he covers so many artists.

>> No.6836270

Weekly botted old inkers thread.
I guess it's this or AI slop...

>> No.6836282

>>6836270
>Weekly
Since when? All I see on here is east v. west, aphantasia, ADHD, AI, "too old to draw", and anime threads.
I'd take a weekly inker's thread because it actually has to do with, you know, drawing.
Also:
>Weekly BOTTLED old inkers thread
fify

>> No.6836290

>>6836282
>'d take a weekly inker's thread because it actually has to do with, you know, drawing.

Has nothing to do with drawing just another "muh taste" retards wasting everybody's time, nobody here has posted original artworks, just retards larping with skills they don't have.
Also to disprove your point this has literally become an east v. west thread.

Again bullshit recycled weekly botted content. Same thread was here last week and it went nowhere, prob same schizo that doesn't draw.

>> No.6836299

>>6836290
but the anime shit doesn't bother you, go to your fucking asian pedophile thread

>> No.6836307

>>6836290
>>6836299
Asian pedophile vs homosexual bare chested men enjoyer
A meeting of the minds

>> No.6836313

>>6836307
Homosexual and pedophiles draw animu

>> No.6836314

>>6836307
gays love futanari and yaoi, go to your animu asian micro cock board

>> No.6836316

>>6834622
its fine just be fast with the pages

>> No.6836333

>>6836299
>>6836307
>>6836313
>>6836314

More reasons why future repetitive threads like these should be deleted immediately.

>> No.6837584

>>6836218
lmao
everything about art in iberia is just some sloppier version of southern italy. iberia is not even the cradle of its own artistic culture.

>> No.6837588

>>6837584
southern italy is literally albania

>> No.6837622

>>6834521
>>6834531
>>6834619
>>6834621
>>6834632
>>6835267
Kino

>>6835492
>>6835306
Parentless, unemployed behaviour.