[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 102 KB, 1024x1018, ben-hypothetically.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6723460 No.6723460 [Reply] [Original]

I've tried getting into drawing for a few times but I was hoping to get some pointers from you guys because I assume a good chunk of you have been at it for a while. If you could answer these questions it would be nice I guess.

1. If I eventually want to draw digital, would it still be a good idea to begin with drawabox or what would be the best path to my final goal?
2. What do you guys do to keep yourselves motivated? Sometimes I start a bit but ultimately decide to shelve it or once life becomes too busy.
3. Any recommended resources you would rate high? The sticky has a billion but I was wondering if there was something a beginner could use to really leap off from.

Sorry for the stilted language, usually lurk on 4ch. Thanks!

>> No.6723464

>>6723460
You sound like you NGMI and you should give up.
>1. drawabox
Why do people recommend this horrible shit. I’m convinced the draw a a box people constantly spam this board with their fucking beg trap meme course. You should basically do everything EXCEPT for drawing a box. It’s the fastest route to burn out and it teaches you literally nothing. It’s the lesser form of drawing floating eyeballs on paper, which is the lesser form of anime girls floating in a void.
>2. What do you guys do to keep yourselves motivated?
I have to draw. If I don’t I get withdrawal. It’s what I do for fun. Life is full of shit to do, but I do everything in my power to carve out the smallest window of time to draw something.
>3. The sticky
I’ve been on ic for 10 years. I’ve never read the sticky. Find some pictures you like and draw them. It doesn’t get much more complicated than that. If you have trouble with faces for example, then redraw some faces from reference. You’ll find most of your pain points can be solved with timed figure drawing.

>> No.6723465

>>6723460
1. Draw what you want. Learn to see with an artist’s eye “aka learn to replicate proportions and depth”. Look at artists you like, and copy their work (copy, not trace). If you find parts of your drawings that you don’t like, attempt to improve on those aspects. Also use reference images. Almost everybody uses reference images.
2. Autism
3. You’ll get a billion different answers about whether you should read Loomis, Hogarth, Bridgman, etc. the truth is all are useful as long as you apply the information to your drawings. It’s more than just copying what’s in the book, it’s also applying the lesson you just learned in a new drawing. If you’re having extra trouble with something specific, there’s usually a YouTube video out there that can help you with that issue.

>> No.6723466
File: 200 KB, 500x281, 1551852123159.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6723460
>1. If I eventually want to draw digital, would it still be a good idea to begin with drawabox or what would be the best path to my final goal?
Paper is fine, it's really easy to make the jump back and forth. You can also draw on both. Do not worry about it. Only do Drawabox until you understand how to draw boxes correctly, anything after that is a massive waste of time.
>2. What do you guys do to keep yourselves motivated? Sometimes I start a bit but ultimately decide to shelve it or once life becomes too busy.
Motivation is a meme. Develop habits instead. Every day, a page of sketches, even quickly done trash when you don't have time. Being a beginner kinda sucks for a while but that's also when you learn the most, I didn't have fun until I got comfortable in these habits. Do not be too hard on yourself if you are not consistent at the beginning.
>3. Any recommended resources you would rate high? The sticky has a billion but I was wondering if there was something a beginner could use to really leap off from.
Perspective Made Easy, then you can look for stuff like Loomis or Vilppu or whoever teaches basic construction of the human body
Here's the single greatest piece of advice i was ever given though: don't get too caught in studying fundies. Once you understand the basics, go for finished pieces. If it turns out looking like shit then try again later. Only churn out some studies when you don't understand something (how does the arm articulation look? how to construct a hand? etc).

>> No.6723472

Get on quickposes.com and do 30 minutes every day, as a rule. Read Andrew Loomis's "Figure Drawing for all it's Worth" and Vilppu's "Drawing Manual" (you can find pdfs) and copy the images and do the exercises. When you get a few months in, get Bridgman and MOrpho anatomy books and copy them cover to cover. Keep doing your 30 minutes on quickposes.com

Just do the above for the next year, while doing research and figuring out what your goals are in art. Fuck drawabox, btw.

>> No.6723485

Thanks for the advice guys. As for the first reply, maybe go take a walk and get some air.

>> No.6723743

>>6723460
Got discord ? I’m always drawing and can help you out if you want and teach to the best of my ability

>> No.6723750 [DELETED] 
File: 670 KB, 1200x1106, 1664221367830868.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6723762
File: 363 KB, 1147x2955, pick your beg book.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6723460
>drawabox
pick a different course and or book. drawabox is designed to make people drop drawing altogether in order to eliminate competition on drawing market. and the dude doesnt even do the exercises himself. you dont even have to trust me, one look at his first lesson and you will see the bullshit with your own eyes
>motivated
you either draw or die. simple
>rate high
pic related

>> No.6724254

>>6723743
If you send a discord link I'll join

>> No.6724293 [DELETED] 

>>6723750
FUCK OFF GABE!

>> No.6724335

>>6723460
Starting with courses and schedules are NGMI. If you truly want to learn how to draw you start drawing, you draw a plant in your house you draw your hand you draw your dick you draw your room as you're drawing these things you figure some things out and other things you start to research and then repeat the process with your new gained knowledge. Starting with a course is NGMI because you're starting to draw because you want to be good at it not because you want to do it.

>> No.6724362 [DELETED] 

>>6723750
FUCK OFF GABE!

>> No.6726669

>>6723464
>You should basically do everything EXCEPT for drawing a box. It’s the fastest route to burn out and it teaches you literally nothing
NTA, But yea you're right. I've done up to the texture exercise and I only stopped there because i got filtered. So far what I know is how to draw a box in 3 point perspective. That's it. I've been trying for years and that's all I got.
Personally, my problem is that drawabox is the only god damn thing that actually gets me drawing, everything else i may as well just snap my drawing tablet in half, that'll get more creativity out of me than any other resource.

>> No.6726673

>>6724335
>you're starting to draw because you want to be good at it not because you want to do it.
are those not the exact same fuckin thing

>> No.6726785

>>6726673
no

>> No.6727349

>>6723762
>keys to drawing
>easily the best book for a beginner
dropped

>> No.6727482

>>6726673
No they're clearly not.