[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 213 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6615072 No.6615072 [Reply] [Original]

Any good resources on learning to ink traditionally with ink? tips and techniques, if possible that includes materials (how many grams does the paper need to ensure I don't break it with the ink and stuff?

whenever I try brush I keep having "happy accidents" like Bob Ross would say, except that in this medium it's not happy at all, it's making an ugly stain of ink right in front of the faces or something like that, which ruins the whole sketch

Picked this as an end goal, if I can do a vagabond study on a big enough page without making a shitty stained mess I'll be satisfied with my skill on ink and I'll move onto something else next (like digital or watercolors): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDGLFTbuMjY&ab_channel=mikeymegamega

>> No.6615189

>>6615072
look up the pdfs for “Thr Art of Comic Book Inking” by Gary Martin and “The DC Comics guide to inking”. I know everyone here tends to bemoan the fact that they’re missing out on some ancient Japanese scrolls that will teach them how to draw, but in terms of western resources these two books are excellent and basically tell you nearly everything you need to know in terms of comic book inking.
also from your post I assume your having difficulties with your brush or something. like you can’t control it. there’s no easy way to fix that man . you just gotta train the stabilising muscles in your hand. get a blank piece of paper and draw straight lines. lock your wrist and use your arm. start and stop the lines at random intervals, practice doing curves. start thin and one end and go thicker at the end.
do this everyday for two years.

>> No.6615191
File: 206 KB, 700x1063, Inking Tips.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6615072
>it's making an ugly stain of ink right in front of the faces or something like that
What do you mean? Is it flicking out of the brush? Is the brush not "pointed"? There's not really any magic trick to inking with a brush; A lighter stroke for a thinner line, a heavier one for a thicker line, other than that, it's just knowledge of what makes a good inked picture.

Just to make sure - you are using a water colour brush yes? Those are the kind you need to use for inking. Windsor and Newton series 7 brushes are the "industry standard", though I've read that there are some good alternatives that aren't as expensive. Make sure not to dip the brush up to the base, or you'll ruin the brush, and make sure to clean thoroughly using a little hand soap or brush clean (or it'll also ruin the brush), suck the tip back into shape after each clean.

Other than good cleaning procedures, I'm not sure what else to say? Most books on inking talk about inking with a nib pen, though I think 'making comics the marvel way' has a section on inking with a brush, take a look at that.

>> No.6615386
File: 41 KB, 798x644, b27[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6615189
>Thr Art of Comic Book Inking
>The DC Comics guide to inking”

>> No.6615412
File: 123 KB, 736x1009, LmpwZw (5).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6615386
NTA but looking at some of the pages it seems like a good resource.

>> No.6615681

>>6615386
buddy, these arent Christopher hart tier how to draw manga books. in industry professionals gathered other industry professionals to literally spoon feed you how to how comics are inked. in gary martins books alone, a little less than a dozen professionals, including Brian Bolland and I think it was Rudy Nebrez, were gathered to each ink the same exact pencils, just so you could examine there differences and read they’re specific commentaries on how exactly they did it. they even share with you the pens and brushes they used for gods sake. if you knew the extend this books covered inking, you’d be salivating

>> No.6615721
File: 502 KB, 1326x850, Bolland%20Martin%20Madman%20pinup[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6615681
Here's your le industry professional bro. Holy heck I am slavating!
>>6615412
Lmao that looks awful.

The only alive artist that does inking well and has a book is that nigger.

>> No.6615884

>>6615072
Brushes, unlike dip pens and other materials like pencils, are an area where the quality of the materials is extremely important. You WILL need a GOOD sable brush to do the sort of inking that you see in comics and manga. Other brushes are doable, but simply not enough. The thing about sable brushes is that you can keep the bristles on a point that stays put and works fine for a longer ammount of time. You'll also have to be extremely careful with the brushes' maintenance. They are expendable, and you will have to be buying more in the future. That'd be around 20 bucks for one single brush. Compare that to the price of a felt tip disposable brush pen. Or even a .5 fineliner.

>> No.6616616

>>6615721

>The only alive artist that does inking well and has a book is that nigger.

who're you talking and which one's the book? couldn't find any book by Brian Rolland

>> No.6616764

>>6616616
I think he means Alphonso Dunn

>> No.6616773

>>6616764
I love Alphonso Dunn book and youtube channel, shame that inktober son of a bitch plagirized him that's the reason I don't practise inkings anyomore in October as a strike of sorts.

Only thing about Alphonso Dunn is, I've barely seen him us brush, he focuses too ,uch on pen, ballpoint and some quill but I've barely seen use brush at all.

My sister 6 years older than me told me she used to learn from deviantart before youtube even existed, but most of the traditional inking tutorials seem to have disappeared there when they introduced that AI policy and all artists started to delete their work. Anyone ever did a backup of good DA tutorials?

>> No.6616835

>>6616773
Kek any artist afraid of AI is not worth learning from.

>> No.6616844

>>6616835
they kinda have the right to be pissed off if Deviantart is USING THEIR ART SPECIFICALLY TO TRAIN THOSE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCES

>> No.6616849

>>6616773
Post your work

>> No.6616882

>>6615072
"Guptill - Drawing with pen and ink" (https://annas-archive.org/md5/1c09122efbceca77067d211155a71de6)) is the classic resource and has a chapter on materials. Recommended in "McCloud - Making Comics" as well.

>> No.6617321

>>6616882
>"Guptill - Drawing with pen and ink"
Isn't Guptil just pen and no brush? haven't read it yet but I gave a quick flip a couple of times already, I'm 70% sure Alphonso Dunn learned from that book.

>> No.6618605

>>6615191
water brush kuretake which I filled with ink instead of water. In Argentina watercolor Winsor 7 are worth roughly 1 month of food....

>> No.6618650

WN s7 are dogshit these days, actually they have been for more than a decade.
Only good brushes I found are Raphael 8408 and 8402, that's it. They cost the same as the WN but are better made, or were since I haven't bought one since 2017.
The prices these days are so high that I wouldn't even consider buying them, specially because they mix bad ones and you can't replace them if you order online.

I would recommend getting Gillot 695 and a Zebra G Pen to start.

>> No.6618754

>>6617321
he talks a little bit about brushes. at the end of the day, if you need to cover big areas, brushes are more suitable, and if you need to make controlled lines, pen is more naturally suited.

but nothing stops you from using his instructions with a brush

>> No.6618756

>>6618650
Bought one s7; it's meh. But several Raphael, and they are all great, perhaps but one. The few Rosemary I have are quite decent too, especially for the price

>> No.6618822

>>6618756
Can no longer buy Rosemary because of import taxes since they left the EU, I'm mad as hell about it, their synthetic designer rounds are unmatched.
If I was to order now I would have to pay €17 for shipping a couple of brushes and there's no guarantee I won't get taxed again once it arrives in my country.
Haven't found a replacement yet, I use them for acrylic inks and they were perfect for that.

>> No.6618828
File: 90 KB, 1280x1280, 4902_8519_large__56355.1676562841.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6618650
>Gillot 695
I meant the gillott 659, the blue nibs, much easier to use than any of the other nibs you might try.

>> No.6618854

>>6618822
>their synthetic designer rounds are unmatched
dully noted, haven't tried them

fwiw, last timeI ordered (France; after Brexit) there was no taxes; 3 travel brushes

>> No.6618869

Windsor newton #2 ink brush, sable. Practice with it a lot until you get good. There are probably better brushes than Windsor Newton out there, those are just what I get but brand doesn't matter so much as long as you aren't buying shit tier brushes.