[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 168 KB, 1000x1000, sketches.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6602320 No.6602320 [Reply] [Original]

any drawing exercises and warm ups to escape begdom?

>> No.6602326
File: 1.49 MB, 4961x3508, 1656840062905.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6602336
File: 16 KB, 344x304, Al-8.2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This might sound controversial, but tracing. Especially rough and gestural drawings from pros. Try to replicate the flowing lines in one flow exactly with the same line thickness. And places where multiple overlapping lines are used, also trace those multiple lines.

Don't try to be analytical about it, but let it be intuitive and get used to the flowy continuous gestural line drawing.

>> No.6602343

>>6602320
Guptill's rendering in pen and ink, first chapters

>> No.6602351

https://files.catbox.moe/1wg9mj.mp4

>> No.6602362

>>6602336
Tracing is how you stay beg. Tracing to quickly get accurate outlines, when you are training rendering, is fine. Tracing is like playing basketball, where you use a ladder, and place the ball in the hoop instead of just shooting the ball. So heres my advice to OP, do 1 referenced drawing and 1 imagionation drawing a day. This will show you your weaknesses and what books to study. While also building your artistic skill.

>> No.6602367

>>6602343
torturous, burdensome book

>> No.6602475

>>6602320
Learn to sculpt so you can feel the form

>> No.6602482

>>6602320
That's kind of an eternal beginner question. You get better by attempting to create a piece with your full concentration. Then you mark the greatest problems in your drawing. And only THEN you create or look up a specific exercise that targets that area of weakness. Doing just general exercises does absolutely nothing but waste your time because you're not learning in any kind of context. And warm ups are just to loosen you up, grinding those will make you an eternal beg as well.

Everything that makes you procrastinate targeting your weaknesses is a waste of time. If you only have weaknesses first target the thing you want to draw most. When you are starting to ask for specific advice you know you're on the right track.

>> No.6602485

>>6602482
This process is fine, but beginners should be doing life drawing everyday too, as a matter of habit, because you won't learn how to draw good figures without actually doing a ton of it

>> No.6602487

>>6602367
The subject was: exercises and warm up. Drawing lines of all sort, learning to build tones in various ways, are excellent warm up exercises.

Besides, there aren't many ressources to learn inking, and it must be the best. Dunn is nice, but IIRC he doesn't have an as thorough treatment of surrounding topics, such as composition, nor such a collection of master drawings to study.

I'd be curious to know (serious question) if you have any better option for learning inking.

>> No.6602493

>>6602485
But only as a response to targeting a weakness, not just as a daily grind. If you do life drawings after targeting a weakness your observation skills for that area of weakness multiplies by 10, even a beginner with trash observation skills will suddenly be able to spot a lot. Doing life drawings without the specific goal to target your weaknesses is just procrastination.

>> No.6602501

>>6602487
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the book. I practice those exercises every day, but it still makes me depressed about my drawing ability

>> No.6602503

>>6602493
for pretty much everybody starting out, though, the human figure is just one huge weakness, so it seems to me like a good idea to just make everybody new to drawing hammer it home, like there's no tomorrow. If you can draw a convincing, lifelike figure, you're 90% of the way there (to making it)

>> No.6602536

>>6602501
>Oh don't get me wrong
I most definitely did...

> but it still makes me depressed about my drawing ability
He's establishing early on a parallel with learning a musical instrument; the learning process is slow. Just keep at it, you'll progress a bit after a bit.

As an example, I've just been drawing over the last few days the same small figure (trying to improve on working from imagination) about 10 times in ink (perhaps 20 times with pencil), plus about 15 studies from related master works, and there's still things to improve. But eventually, one mistake at a time, I'll get there. And in a few months, it'll take me 5/10min instead of a few hours.

Besides, inking is tricky, because it makes value handling is non-trivial. This directly implies that composition, form rendering, and texturing are also non-trivial, because those are but direct applications of value handling.

>> No.6602577

>>6602536
That's definitely one of the appeals of Guptill's book. Its' the rigorous training that they had back then which I want insight to. I feel like my education so far has been full of holes, and I want to fix that. I can't wait to work through it, actually, but the straight lines are still a slog. I'll get through them though

>> No.6602584

>>6602362
Tracing is much more like someone giving you the answers to a mathematical equation, if you're a retard it won't help you cuz you're just copying some numbers without it making sense to you, but if you actually know what you're doing than it's a tremendous learning exercise

>> No.6602589

>>6602320
I feel like this sort of exercise is a trap. I understand the logic of trying to develop mechanical skill and muscle memory but doing this sort of thing just grinds away creativity.
>whats a good warm up then
Just draw my guy. Too many people are afraid of making ugly stuff.

>> No.6602684
File: 1.25 MB, 2970x3396, Warm Ups_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6602320

>> No.6602789

>>6602362
You are misunderstanding my point. I am not saying stop practicing drawing and only do traced drawings. It is just a better warmup exercise than only just drawing squares and circles over and over.

And no the point of this exercise is not to have a pretty picture and claim it yours. It is about getting used to having good line strokes and get an understanding of:
- How to break a picture into lines instead of drawing it in all in one go like how you have drawn those circles, or very short strokes i.e. chicken scratching. But understand how to break the drawing into line strokes. Like his ear should not be done in one go, but in 3 smooth strokes
- Get an intuitive understanding how to apply line weight. Where to use thick and thin lines and to often use thin lines at the endpoints and thick and the middle of the line.
- How to use long curve lines and make it feel alive.

And then use these stroke making skills to your own drawings. Like gesture drawing or drawing from imagination. You will definitely see an improvement.

>> No.6602798

>>6602326
Imagine doing this bullshit instead of just drawing a 15min colored sketch.
>ngmi

>> No.6602986

>>6602577
>the straight lines are still a slog
Yeah don't worry about them too much. have a close look at some of the master work by the end of the book.

Values, that's what you want to focus on. You'll progressively get control over your lines

>> No.6604295

>>6602684
Sauce?