[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 749 KB, 1124x1331, 847.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6523759 No.6523759 [Reply] [Original]

>professional artist working in the game industry
>full time salaried position with benefits
>artists around me are incredible
>management is great
>developing exciting new IPs
>still feel like I don't belong
>still feel like a fraud
>still feel like a useless failure
>cry most nights at home

What the fuck is wrong with me

>> No.6523766

pyw

>> No.6523768

post your work.

>> No.6523771

>>6523759
As someone who has been gaming since windows 98, I never saw myself ever working in the video game industry. People who grew up with that shit went on to become EEs or Computer Programmers and where did that take them? 6 fig salaries basically doing jack shit, 3 houses in Florida, 2 boats and 2 marriages. Their kids are secured for life but you? You had to choose video games as a career LMAOOOOOo.

>> No.6523773

>>6523759
make friends with them so you can curtail the imposter syndrome and realise they go through the same things as you both artistically and mentally and you can aid each other in finding the right way. Unfortunately the answer is "do more"

>> No.6523774

Let's see your work, Anon

>> No.6523777

>still feel like I don't belong

Pitch the loli hentai gangbang game you've been thinking about already

>> No.6523778

when will the tourists leave bros

>> No.6523810

what specifically do you do every day? like can you outline what a recent but typical work day looks like? like
>got up at 7, showered +had bfast, drove to work, brought backpack with my lunch and my ipad to sit at my designated computer, said hi to my team around me, each has a different specialty, one does backgrounds, one’s hard surface, one’s…(or everyone sitting immediately around me all share my same specialty.
>there’s constant talk and swiveling around me of people trying to get together to work out design problems and stuff (or there’s always dead silence for hours
>there’s a meeting scheduled for a half hour from workstart down the hall i was told to attend in a meeting yesterday where the art director will hand out our day’s assignment, which yesterday was choosing three from a critiqued page of silhouettes for a character design and bringing them to a presentable stage that i’ll be submitting today. after the meeting’s done, i always wait my turn to have a 1-on-1 check in with the art director, and they take a look at my three designs (or did they ask that to be handed to them, or digitally mailed to them over x app, at the end of the work day, so you couldn’t take it home of stay longer at work till you finished it after hours.
>you usually get your assignments at a meeting a half hour after arrival at work, and throw the finished work into the office server at the end of the work day before going home, (or you don’t get a deadline and your art director wanders over unpredictably and you just walk and find them and hand over your stuff when its done, —or you usually only get two hours on average to complete smaller assignments like ‘do minor variations on these couple things and give it to me quick’…)
sorry tldr, but

can you tell some day-in-the-life things like this?
i’ve been wondering this kind of thing for years but no one ever talks about this stuff

>> No.6523823

>>6523766
>>6523768
>>6523774
NDA
>>6523771
I thought going into games would make me happy. I don't really care about money.
>>6523773
I've always had trouble connecting with other artists.
>>6523810
I work remotely. Your day sounds nice.

>> No.6523831

>>6523823
>I've always had trouble connecting with other artists.
Same man. Follow them on social media or whatever the fuck and compliment them when you get the chance. Working remotely is probably fucking you up more than anything. Just find the chance to mention your imposter syndrome to one of them or something.
honestly you just have to have goodness directed to everyone and yourself. It's all learning all the time. Action and continuing to improve is the only thing that'll stop you worrying about whether you're doing it right because at least you're trying. You might find your coworkers have a group they draw with or something. A discord?

>> No.6523836

>>6523831
Yeah, maybe I underestimated how much social stuff I need, but I've never heard another artist irl talking about imposter syndrome. I mentioned it to someone once and she looked at me like I was crazy.

>> No.6523843

>>6523836
Don't let it kill you man, everyone deals with it at every level of success. If she looked at you like you were crazy she might've thought "how could you think you're not good enough? you're amazing".
Every artist is capable of waking up and producing something absolutely dogshit. You could wake up tomorrow and be unable to draw a circle but the only thing stopping you is keeping on top of it and drawing for fun and study. And your peers and coworkers are going through the exact same thing and they WANT to be your friend, they WANT to steal your artistic powers from you like you do to them.

>> No.6523844

>>6523843
>You could wake up tomorrow and be unable to draw a circle
What do you do when you're at the studio and feel like this?

>> No.6523846

>>6523823
what about ur own works or art from ur younger days

>> No.6523847

>>6523844
I just piss myself as a cry for help
https://youtu.be/FBaKlwFSDqU

>> No.6523876

>>6523844
>>6523847
but also that's hyperbole about being unable to draw a circle but also true, art is entirely a mental endeavour. You just have to force yourself to do it and the ritualistic nature of the "feeling" of art and getting in the mood and such doesn't help.
Like that guy that dips into freezing cold water and is able to regulate his body temperature just by thinking really hard. If you notice you're having a problem with something you have to fix it with study. And use everything in your power to get you in the right frame of mind, thinking of the right things.

>> No.6523929

>>6523759
A.I. is going to rape your career in the next 5 years. Get out now unless you want to be homeless.

>> No.6523975

>>6523836
Are your bosses not complaining? Then it’s good enough for now.
Ask your seniors for critique and feedback and listen if you feel like you are still learning. But don’t use gay language about your feelings like “imposter syndrome.” That’s just you being emotionally needy and insecure. Act more mature until you feel more mature.

>> No.6524002

>>6523823
Post your own work

>> No.6524005

>>6523759
How do you get into the industry? I look at linkedin and literally everyone is only looking for seniors or people who already have plenty experience.

>> No.6524639

>>6523975
>Are your bosses not complaining?
No, feedback is largely positive. I just don't believe it for some reason.

>> No.6524958

>>6523823
>NDA
Bs excuse lying fagtron

>> No.6525303

>>6523759
what are ur thoughts about ai? is it over for the rest of us to find any job like urs?

>> No.6525307

>>6523759
you made it bro, i hope i can achieve something like u soon

>> No.6526467

>>6523759
Sounds like imposter syndrome (you know that one that feminists say all women apparently suffer from).

Look up how to deal with it, but I think it's mostly cringy lame things like looking into a mirror and saying "You deserve to be here. You're great. You earned this" - which honestly sounds like a case where the solution is worse than the problem.

Congrats on making it anon!

>> No.6526516

>>6523823
Larper. Post a study or draw a quick face.

>> No.6526522

>>6523929
>implying that AI can make a new character design for new IP
lawsuit is already happening, imagine when those new AI artists use they product to make EL Cratos from Sparda in the new IP called God of Battle

>> No.6526658

>>6523810
not him but typically it goes like this
>attend meeting to tell everyone what you’re doing for today and what you’ve completed the last time
>work on your prioritized tasks by the producer in another meeting
>post work for feedback and review from your team. revise as necessary.
>when finally approved, upload work to the server with the correct naming convention and export settings
>sometimes all staff meetings happen to fill you in on how the company is doing financially or to address any common concerns. floor is usually open to anyone who wants to speak up
>1on1’s are usually your manager asking how you’re feeling and if you have any concerns. or if someone complained about you and your performance.

and if you’re curious, yes i had been reported to HR for the dumbest shit by other artists who thought they could get rid of me or in hopes to steal a promotion, mostly because they felt threatened by my skills. never fired by the way because i’m usually the top performer. but i’ve quit when i found better opportunities.

>> No.6526721

>>6523759
could just have depression... sometimes things are simple.

>> No.6526845

>>6523823
>I work remotely. Your day sounds nice.
I’d actually be really interested in the process of your job no matter if its remotely or on-location, but
thanks a lot for the reply. But yeahs2wj20, I guess remote work’s probably a lot more common of a thing, now

>>6526658
Thanks so much, man! This was really interesting stuff. And whoa, I never even thought about how the politicking thing would work in real time- that’s pretty crazy. Thanks again for the snapshot

>> No.6526847

>>6526845
> But yeahs2wj20,
*(sorry, captcha got mixed in there.)

>> No.6528782
File: 28 KB, 320x320, 1516301566050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6523759
>>developing exciting new IPs
Are you though?