[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 203 KB, 574x430, 1586131287295.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6490891 No.6490891 [Reply] [Original]

I have an obsessive aversion toward developing any sort of unique or quirky style until I'm good, as to not learn the wrong way / use the "style" as a crutch. Even though I've made a lot of progress, I'm still no where near that point. Thing is, it makes my work have a sort of generic look as of current. Am I going about this the wrong way?

>> No.6490899

>>6490891
As you may have heard many people tell you - don't worry about style too much while you're still developing basic skills. That said, don't be afraid to try out stylistic approaches either. Unlike what most people say, trying out stuff will NOT hurt your development, especially not if you're self-aware of the stylistic choices and shortcuts you're using. Try out new styles, have fun.

>> No.6490939

>>6490891
I don't even mean to be toxic, even though it is inevitable. But legit, only begs care about this. Its like the retards that say ''I wanna puts some muscle, but not look like a freak'' on the first day of stepping into a gym.

Its a non-issue, its a cope of the mind.

>> No.6490941

>>6490891
I would say don't worry about looking generic and in fact go ahead and copy from other artists that you find interesting. Copying is more like doing things with your take and most of the time it leads to new ideas and new discoveries

>> No.6490976

i guarantee you are /beg/ to be thinking like this

>> No.6491094

>>6490976
>until I'm good
Wow it's like he wasn't trying to hide it