[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 285 KB, 1080x1080, is-there-a-mangaka-that-have-the-same-drawing-style-as-v0-z8xqz8llmgr91.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6467794 No.6467794 [Reply] [Original]

As a /beg/-/int/ who's art is still kind of shit by most standards and is just getting deep into fundies now, I am looking specifically to get good at dynamic poses and foreshortening, as well as being able to draw decent figures in perspective alongside pen & ink detail and a decent visual library for character design and vehicles. I am doing all of this specifically to make comics and personal projects, but I specifically want to know is at least spending 1/2 years on making single illustrations first just to get my art skills at a competent level worth it before getting into comics making fully? I developing an artstyle that lives by a solid understanding of some fundamentals like form, detailing and dynamicism, and if my comics visually fail at depicting those (which I still do even in my own art btw), they would kind of fall apart. Thoughts?

>> No.6467831

You'll never feel "good enough" to make your masterpiece but you also won't BE good enough for quite a while. If you want to get better at making comics, make some comics. If they're bad you can just re-do them later. You know what areas you want to focus on, so there's nothing wrong with getting comfortable with the medium WHILE you work on those fundies.

>> No.6467845

>>6467794
If your end goal is making comics you should just dive into making comics
Its like a 2 bird one stone thing where making comics forces you to draw a lot in volume which is what you need most to improve and become efficient
Draw a lot then sometime make a more detailed artwork of one of the character of your comics to check your progress
But again the keys is volume volume

Also based togashi enjoyer

>> No.6467850
File: 1.60 MB, 3218x4096, 20230111_090708.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6467831
I know, but I am planning to do both comics and illustrations generally speaking when it comes to plans. Not to mention that my standards for visuals and concepts are much higher than almost everything posted on /mmg/ as well (Seriously, do people who only have been drawing for 6 months on average post their work here?). At least 1 year of grinding fundies and doing master studies might be enough for getting decent at figures, detailing and character design for the purposes of the story I want to tell rather than just working on some crappy one-shot and figuring out asome ugly art style for it and develop bad habits rather than improving (basically what Isayama did, which explains taking 10 years for going from total shit to barely mediocre). Also look at webcomics that tend to get a following without being webtoon goyslop. Ramia is literally created by a pro figure designer, and I doubt something like pic related would've been getting recognition if it wasn't drawn well.

TL;DR Some of us do care about visual quality as much as storytelling, and there's nothing wrong with it or waiting a bit more before attempting something if you aren't comfortable.

>> No.6467903

>>6467850
All the great manga artists started with a shitty art that got better the longer they've been in serialization. There's nothing wrong with wanting to spit out the best that you can produce but in doing so, you may actually never end up releasing anything.

>> No.6467933
File: 3.27 MB, 1587x1569, image_2023-01-11_030053491.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6467794
even if you aren't ready to start taking on a full on comic you should try to gear your practice towards sequential imagemaking if that is your goal. doing a page is a pretty different feeling than working on a single illustration.
imo split the difference by doing fundieshit like an illustrator but then practice arranging it like you're doing a page. a filmfag would do motion studies and you can basically do the same thing with your practice drawings as well. drawing the figure from multiple angles is something you should be doing regardless so just set those up like you're trying to tell a story in 1 shot/2 shot/closeup etc

>> No.6468034

Gabe...

>> No.6469028
File: 8 KB, 409x175, dangs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6467794
Gotta make a load of shit before you make anything good. There's absolutely no getting around that. Being a good illustrator won't make you a good comic maker, the only way to improve in that regard is to quit making fucking excuses and make some fucking comics. Yes, they'll suck. Yes, you'll hate them. Spending years working on your "illustration" skills will only make that feeling worse. You're only hurting yourself by not starting comics immediately.