[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 844 KB, 1632x1224, 1666147428570872.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6403080 No.6403080 [Reply] [Original]

I cant help but feel that if I had better art supplies (oil paintings, a selection of pencils, or even a graphics tablet) Id feel more motivated to draw. I know this is very much the case with both cooking and music ( a better sounding guitar makes me wanna play more, even if I suck)=

Is this a cope?

>> No.6403097

Im sorry to tell you but it's probably cope. Unless the materials you're using are actively discouraging you because they lack enough quality to reach good results, you won't feel much of a long lasting boost in motivation by purchasing better ones. I've been there.
Usually, top quality supplies vs mid quality ones is mostly about small details that allow for more advanced techniques, and of course the durability of the end result. With music you notice the difference instantly, it really changes how you experience your art; not so much with drawing.

My rule of thumb is, if you want better materials, set a small goal. For example, if I think it's time to up my watercolor arsenal, I set a goal of doing 10 paintings in A3 paper, and then I will buy it. This way, I will actually practice watercolors and slowly understand what is missing both in my technique and in the supplies' quality. This way, when I buy the materials, I wont be doing it out of dopamine, but out of knowledge of its necessity in upping my art gains.

>> No.6403114

>>6403097
Damn. I wanted fancy art supplies because I'm tired of my pencils' blurry lines, but if its just the dopamine then I could just get mechanical pencils and see where it goes

>> No.6403146
File: 440 KB, 1500x773, 1517346517502.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6403080

>> No.6403159

very interesting to see this sentiment. for me, it used to be the other way around, whenever i got slightly better than mediocre materials i always felt like i was "not good enough" to use them, so i had lots of unused sketchbooks and paints around. i even felt uncomfortable using the wacom bamboo because it felt "too professional" lol.
only started drawing digitally without this weird anxiety after i got a cheapo shitty monoprice tablet that had the build and feel of a bootleg fisher price toy. absolutely awful digitizer, but drawing with it was so much fun, since putting out shitty drawings with it felt appropriate. nowadays i don't care anymore.

i'd say if it helps you make art, just get what you need. godspeed, anon

>> No.6403165
File: 33 KB, 474x304, th-1332400559.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6403114
can you explain what blurry lines have to do with pencil quality, though? just sharpen 'em, in the best case with a knife if you use simple graphite pencils, so they look roughly like picrel.

>> No.6403402

>>6403080
Post your work. If you can't you wont feel confident enough to sully high quality art supplies with your art

>> No.6405073

>>6403080
depends on your personality i suppose
i know it makes no difference for me, which i why i won't buy any of it until it is very clear and necessary