[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 235 KB, 1665x1665, theonemillionquestion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6351156 No.6351156 [Reply] [Original]

What are the pros and cons of digital art vs traditional art?

>> No.6351165

>>6351156
Traditional art naturally has better texture without having to fuck with brushes and effects. It gives you a meaningful physical product. It can make you more meticulous and careful with your art.

Digital allows you to experiment without risk. It allows you to save various versions of your work and modify parts easily with layers. It's cheaper.

>> No.6351168

Do both.

>> No.6351195
File: 460 KB, 1600x699, Digilet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6351269

I miss doing drills with pen on paper. Digital artists half the time just play photoshop or polymodel with the mouse and pros wil talk about not being able to draw a circle for shit without lazy mouse whoring or drag and drop.. I see digital as the bane of recruiting motor neurons and learning fundamentals or just bypassing them all together.

Just stop with these semi-automating and AI cock tease externalized tech shenanigans and turn us into cyborgs already. Either evolve the outdated human hardware or get rid of us already.

>> No.6351287

>>6351156
if you're just starting I recommend traditional, it's too easy to build bad habits using digital

>> No.6351387

>>6351165
>>6351287
Perfect comparison. I started out digitally and I actually kinda regret it.
When I started experimenting with Traditional I found it gave me the discipline I needed to learn much faster and better. Something digital unfortunately lacked. I still use digital for perspective/coloring practice- but Traditional became my staple for sketching and studying.
I also got jealous when looking through all the Japanese artists in my inspiration folder sketching Traditional a lot, so it encouraged me to use digital a lot more.

>> No.6351388

>>6351387
*encouraged me to use Traditional a lot more.
goddamn really dropped the ball right there.

>> No.6351390

>>6351387
I think computers work best as a compliment to what one does. It's an absurdly powerful tool and is capable of a lot, but a person without much knowledge in their field won't be able to take advantage of it. I've mainly been studying with traditional media too, while doing brainstorming with my computer.

>> No.6351394

>>6351156
The actual button he would be pressing is delete.

>> No.6351402

>>6351394
Yes the comic author is retarded. Ever heard of an eraser or whiteout?

>> No.6351403

>>6351156
Normies tier meme. No one throw away a whole paper like that. Artist sketch on draft paper and use lightboard for line art. If you are ink fag, traditional way may faster than digital as pencil and pen have natural stabilization no digital pen have.
People use digital mainly for the vibrant colors and the ability to store for long time, which is gatekeep by paywall in traditional art. Some traditional art took years because artists have to work other jobs to pay for expensive paint, paper and canvas. Also artist don't exactly switch to digital completely, they do it to save money to buy art supply.

>> No.6351461

traditional is much more wide-ranging in the kind of art that is produced which correspondingly means that the artists are also more diverse.
there are so much more different mediums. even ones who paint in the same medium rarely see eye to eye. you could even find two trad painters and think they paint similarly, but they actually hate each other. because with trad artists, slight stylistic decisions are often matter of principles.

>> No.6351465

>>6351461
>because with trad artists, slight stylistic decisions are often matter of principles.
Is it a thing? I learnt every trad medium and digital, I don't see why an artist hate other for using different medium. I thought it was just non-artist boomers try to crab young artists into wage cage by mocking them for using digital.

>> No.6351474

>>6351387
+1

>> No.6351483

>>6351465
I always thought the beef was a lot more in the "my team is better" vein, and was pretty dumb. I mostly do trad work these days, but still dabble in digital. Both have skillsets that cross over as well as their own challenges.

>> No.6351497

>>6351483
I inspired by Shibasaki sensei who use every thing to make art. From cheap color crayon, watercolor, oil paint to digital. These debate sound too stupid to me.

>> No.6351518

i find it more fun to grab pen and paper and do some scribbles in a paper than digital (ive tried using an screenless tablet and ipad) i never got used to it, i cant seem to be able to draw what i want and everything has a billion settings
not that im any good in traditional but i do have fun doing it

>> No.6351522

>>6351465
i didn't say it was for using a different medium, and especially not trad vs digital. i was talking about certain actual trad artists (not ones who do trad as well as digital.) the kind of artists who do work that only make real sense in the media of their choice. you could compare two painters who exclusively use oil, and to the outsiders they are very similar (realistic proportions, use of perspective, light ad shade), yet they actually operate from completely antagonistic artistic theories.

>> No.6351535

>>6351156
In a professional capacity, you can sell traditional art's original printings for a lot. This is particularly relevant for renowned painters, but comic artists can sell pages assuming they still own the rights to do so, and even animators sell individual animation cels. Obviously, selling a jpeg means nothing to most people outside of the bored ape yacht club.

This means that trad artists have more capacity to make money off a single work, even if they may not have the conviniences provided by the digital workspace.

I don't produce art for money, and don't fuck around with technology any more than is necessary to just get a decent looking pencil, so to me, I only really recieve the benefits of digital art.

>> No.6351550

>>6351465
/3/ also utilizes digital and they're aspiring wage slaves and glorified human 3D printers that masquerade as artists, yet eschew discussing art for crabbing younglings into the wage cage. That's mostly where it comes from.

>> No.6351659

>>6351156
>What are the pros and cons of digital art vs traditional art?
works of traditional art will be harder to replace by AI

but in any case, if you are planning on being an artist as a career - don't

>> No.6351670

>>6351659
kys

>> No.6352014

>>6351659
Traditional can't be replaced by ai
And any robot drawing strokes on paper or canvas isn't an interesting concept
it'd just be a fancier printer.

>> No.6352338

>>6351402
>eraser
What? Undo is faster
>>6351394
What's the difference?

>> No.6352353

>>6351156
Comic book publishers used to throw away original artwork after it served its purpose until some creators fought for the right to have their originals returned. Frank Frazetta was also known to insist on keeping his original paintings as a condition for taking on a job. Why? Because the originals would increase in value over time. Artists who were paid rather poorly for illustration work could earn good money in retirement by selling their originals to collectors. Even now, in-demand artists like Frank Cho find their originals a lucrative source of income. That's one good reason to work with traditional media — you have a unique, physical object that can be sold for more than an endlessly reproducible file.

>> No.6353463

>>6351402
eraser is not always ideal and there's a limit how much you should erase. and undo is much more accurate about what it erases.
white out is good for works that are to be reproduced either digitally or printed especially in black and white, but is is limited and sometimes even have to be digitally touched up to make less noticeable.
traditional art is really too broad in what it means. this is why the left section is accurate for some but inapplicable for others, whereas almost all digi artists relate to the right section.

>> No.6354094

>>6351156
With trad art you have to leave the house to throw away your miserable shitty art

>> No.6354102

>>6352353
>That's one good reason to work with traditional media — you have a unique, physical object that can be sold
That reason also gives you a really strong drive to make your artwork as good as it can be, because your artwork in not going to be in demand or sell for a high price later on if it its not good.

>> No.6354104

>>6352353
>Frank Frazetta was also known to insist on keeping his original paintings as a condition for taking on a job. Why? Because the originals would increase in value over time.
Eventually, but some artists never live to see that day. I remember reading that after JC Leyendecker died, they had an estate sale at his house where they were selling his paintings for $2 or $3 a piece because his illustration style was so out of fashion at the time of his death. Now Leyendeacker's stuff sells for millions of dollars.
>Joseph Christian Leyendecker’s Beat-up Boy, Football Hero, which appeared on the cover of The Saturday Evening Post on Nov. 21, 1914, sold Friday for $4.12 million, shattering the previous world record for a work by the influential illustrator.

>> No.6354276
File: 200 KB, 1700x905, piotr-jablonski-impression-of-the-void-n-2-s-s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright what's the verdict then? I've been drawing for nearly two months now on paper, when can I start using a drawing tablet? My goal is to make art like picrel.

>> No.6354318

>>6351287
I also began with traditional and I am still permabeg.
Fuck your bullshit man

>> No.6354562

>>6354276
>>6354318
Start. Use both. You're gimping yourself sticking to one.

>> No.6354563

>>6351156
No trad artist starts over this often, except maybe for complete beginners(first month) who don't know what they're doing. If mashing Ctrl+Z is the norm for digital art, it only proves that digital artist are bad at art.

>> No.6354565

>>6351156
You can sell ur originals for big money

>> No.6354594

>>6354276

Based Piotr, I love his work too

>> No.6355156

>>6351156
>digital "artists" are now so deep in denial they think ctrl+z and being able to make new layers is a good thing and not the thing stunting 99% of their growth
phaggots

>> No.6355161

>>6351165
this, the texture of paper is always consistent. Your pencils and markers stay the same every day (for the most part). When I draw on digital I have to hope its a day where jupiter is aligned with mars in the seventh house of fuckitarius for my lines to look good.