[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.28 MB, 292x322, could-you-not-girl.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6297763 No.6297763 [Reply] [Original]

Does it matter to have a huge impressive costly generic skill style or Does it matter more to be more on the simpler, easier to make more cartoony style that has an unique signature?

Assuming you have the skill to do both.

Asking because I see no particular reason to do a very expensive style that happens to be not meme worthy material.

There's not particular gain over a very realistic artsation style over a more indie like that allow me to develop in a more unique direction that everyone inmediatelly know it's my own signature style.

Not talking about lacking skills or needing fundamentals.
Let's assume you have the skill to do both.

>> No.6297765

>>6297763
does it matter for what? commissions? concept art? be more specific homo

>> No.6297766

>>6297765
making an art bussiness.

The skilled style just screams expensive movie production or AAA game.

But, minecraft and roblox made billions, so that's not a really particularly good argument of not picking the cheaper style route.

>> No.6297774

>>6297765
>>6297766
All you need is a graphic card Ai took over fag

>> No.6297778

>>6297774
And then It will look like generic AI art.

that doesn't solve the issue.

>> No.6297781

>>6297778
Still better then shit you make.

But it's getting better 2 more weeks

>> No.6297790

>>6297766
what the fuck is an "art business"? that could be anything from an art gallery to a concept art studio taking on AAA clients to a dude on the streets doing spray can paintings for $25

>> No.6297791

>>6297766
Still not specific enough, it all depends.

>> No.6298026

>>6297781
the it will look like all the generic concept art garbage that is in every film and AAA game, but realistic and like artstation and all those overpolished concept art.
Except now it takes even less effort.

Totally a great style.

>>6297790
>>6297791
Do you understand what I say?

I mean making money and having a sucesfull bussiness as someone doing art for a living.

By example, look at doraemon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_yxQ4xXM_Q
Look at this.

Do you really think the guys that did this doraemon movie are like lazy or low skill?
They can easily make Akira or any expensive style.

But the point is, nobody can tell generic artstation style from AAA games, and claim, oh wow, that's like my super favorite artist.
Normies can't even name a single artstation artist.

But they can clearly easily identifity doraemon, and hello kitty and tintin.
They clearly, like it takes 1 second to see anything from Quino.

It takes less than 1 second.
To know it's the mafalda artist.
You don't know him.
But you know It's mafalda style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kFaE4KIqyE

That's what I am trying to say.

>> No.6298029

>>6298026
You mean you want to run an art studio/creative studio employing other artists? Or freelance for yourself?

>> No.6298035

>>6298029
obviously you need to pay the bills.

But nobody entered art because you wanted a risky field with low pay and rampant piracy.

No, I entered art because I used to dream about my big teen ideas about manga, and games I will make.

But the issue is that I got good, like I learned fundies, practiced for years.
And I just got lazy.

I started to simplify my style, and I got my own unique style.
But people claim is shit because is not artstation shit.
But other anons, some have expressed they like it.
And normies seem to like it.

So, yes, I get mocked by internet retards.
But at the same time, It's fucking cheap and I keep thinking I can do something like 2-3 characters in a good lookin style that look as good as long the cost is reasonable, and keep secondary and tertiary backgrounds and props, keep them in very stylized, almost simple shapes.

Like making npcs in my stories, like that meme cube that japanese artist seem to do that look like the aseprite icon.
Which japanese people don't seem to mind.

It would be then just basic shapes with pixel art eyes for most of the npcs in my story.
Which I think will do the trick.

It's stuff like that, finding ways to cheapen my art costs more and more than actually give me way cooler art ideas than le epic 50 hours rendered painting.

It's a much more exciting area of like artistic growth to me.

I guess I'm rambling but I feel I need to get off my chest.

>> No.6298039

>>6298035
Look at what sakimi did. She basically presents as herself but in reality she’s got other artists doing her drawings in her style. She’s figured out that she needs to have a delivery cycle to generate good money but that one person cannot realistically meet, so the hiring of others is based on that. Also, as always, you need to make more than you spend.

>> No.6298044

>>6298039
And Sakimichan looks like generic painting from a digital tutorial.

She has a sucesful bussines.

But she has not a legacy.
I want to leave something people will remember I existed.

Something people will give a shit 50 years from now on my dead bed.

Not make money from coomer fan art.

>> No.6298050

>>6298026
Basically youre questioning about the stylistic choice, whether it be games or films. Which I really have to say it depends again. One style isnt better than the other, it all depends on what youre trying to produce and put out.
There are some generals rules like how a children's show is better with simple and loose style or how a military shooter game is better with a triple A graphics/style.
Now if youre asking whether you should pick either one of those styles as an artist to be more easily "commerciable" it also depends. It depends what kind of industry youre going in. Thats why you have those triple A concept artists,calart animators , or riot games characters designers. Most of them are just copy paste artists that all have a similar style because its relevant to their work. So generally the "generic artist" is the safest route, even then theres tight competition. Theres always a standard in the industry and if you meet that standard you have a better chance making a career out of it.
If you do the unique stylized route you might have a harder time gettings jobs, but when you do and make it big and your style now becomes the industry standard you would get the title for "revolutionizing" the industry. Thats how you get the "insert name" style.

>> No.6298057

>>6298050
Yeah, I want my own signature style.

Something that people, look in one second, and say, yeah, that's that guy art.

>> No.6298058

>>6298026
>Normies can't even name a single artstation artist.
Because artstation artists don't care about normies, they care about businesses that will actually pay them.

>> No.6298064
File: 1010 KB, 541x817, 1664419340666603.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6297763
I do have unique style I elegantly mix anime and oil painting. Although I cannot sell my works... probably my stuff is too advanced for the normies.

Jose, /ic's chaddest painter

>> No.6298067
File: 16 KB, 392x509, masterpiece.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6298064
>>6298058
okay, let me give you an specific example.

See this model?

It's a perfect fine style to me for a random npc.
Sure, it doesn't work for major characters.

But for like the average pedestrian that nobody gives a fuck.
Yes, is great.
Takes 10 minutes to make at best.

And then I simply recolor and like have quickly 100 diferent npcs I can like put in my game.

I just got into this mentality to see how much can I express with the least amount of effort.
I'm basically obssesed with this idea of like finding ways to increase quality and expressivity while decreasing my art costs.

Like how many tricks can I develop to get away with cheapening more and more my art budget, without compromising quality.