[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 28 KB, 512x338, 7cbc15ec6cc272585f904d8656eb4e0af098fb1a_00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5241064 No.5241064 [Reply] [Original]

The general thread for Manga / manga-styled comic-making and Manga-style illustration.

Support each other and talk about your work or the work of others that excites you. Inking, character design, paneling / layout, writing, planning, and other discussions are all welcome.

Post resources, questions, in-progress pages, breakdowns of other works, etc. If a work is not yours, credit the maker (unless it's fucking obvious like a full page of One Piece or something).

Thanks to everyone for making /mmg/ a level-headed and helpful place. Remember, drawing and making comics and manga are difficult endeavors, and we're all in this struggle together.

Previous thread: >>5202929

Some resources:

/asg/, our stylistic sister-thread series >>>/ic/asg

Books:
Understanding Comics

Making Comics

Manga in Theory and Practice: The Craft of Creating Manga
https://mega.nz/folder/Dd4hnZTC#EjMIcTDPLbWXkAJLPHx2Kg

Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting
https://archive.org/details/RobertMcKeeStorypdf/

2000AD Script Book
https://mega.nz/file/gtNQgY6L#p7vPA_fLOUwxINMBzAX62w_xx282FVQoMhUHDGtiCpE

Videos:
"Manga Senpai/Tokyo Name Tank", "SMAC! THE SILENT MANGA AUDITION COMMUNITY"
Habanero Scans: https://www.dailymotion.com/HabaneroScans/videos

Full MANBEN Series link: https://mega.nz/folder/9h1mUYSJ#8sJoO57nMP_JhjnujBXkpQ

https://www.naokiurasawa.com/

Dejieshi no Bunpou (JP Only, Permanent Uploaded Needed; expires EIGHT DAYS as of this posting): https://easyupload.io/mirss5

>> No.5241066

Some western / indie publishers that seem to have a decent readership and are tolerant of or specifically cater to Manga:

Saturday AM ( https://www.saturday-am.com/ )
> Digital indie magazine, seems to be on the up-and-up
> Open submissions for long-form series; also distributes series currently being published elsewhere.
> Regularly publishes one-shots, making it a good potential outlet for already-finished work.

Noir Caesar ( https://www.noircaesar.com/ )
> Focuses on black (specifically African-American) content, but seems willing to publish anyone good enough.
> Seemingly series-based only.
> No "magazine" style updates; series are updated on their own schedule.
> Seems less regular than Saturday AM, but also seems larger in terms of readership.

Oni Press ( https://onipress.com/ )
> Technically indie, but at this point large enough by comic standards to be mentioned in the same breath as other publishers.

Antarctic Press ( https://antarctic-press.myshopify.com/ )
> Longtime large-indie publisher of OEL / manga-esque books.
> Seemingly taking submissions at present if http://www.antarctic-press.com/html/submissions.php is anything to go on.

Yen Press ( https://yenpress.com/ )
> Started out as a small indie publisher of original / Korean material, and has grown reasonably popular since.
> As of 2016, it is also one of the western arms of the Kadokawa Corporation's publishing apparatus, with Kadokawa owning a 51% stake.
> They are known to publish original material, and editorial inquiries can apparently be sent to yenpress@yenpress.com.

Viz Media / Viz Originals ( https://www.viz.com/originals )
> *The* western manga publisher.
> Currently in the exploratory stages of setting up an English label.
> Submissions are open and several books have been announced. However, progress on the label seems to be moving very slowly.
> Still might be worth a shot anyway.

>> No.5241069

Current Contests and Opportunities:

https://www.clipstudio.net/promotion/comiccontest/en/

International Comic/Manga Schools Contest 2021
>YOU MUST BE A STUDENT TO ENTER THIS CONTEST.
>This is a manga, comic, and illustration contest open to students worldwide. Winners are eligible for cash prizes, digital creation software, pen tablets, and chances to be featured in the media too! The contest is also an opportunity to have your work judged and critiqued by professional creators and boost your skills. There are many categories to choose from, and many opportunities to win prizes! We are looking forward to seeing your entries.
>Contest theme: Admiration
>Participant School Registration Nov 10 (Tues), 2020 ~ April 20 (Tues), 2021 9:00 (GMT)
>Work Submission Period Jan 12 (Tues) ~ April 29 (Thurs), 2021 9:00 (GMT)
>Winner Announcement Early July 2021

How (You) can help /mmg/:

> Know about a contest or a publishing opportunity? TAG THE OP and post a link.
> Have a new resource? TAG THE OP and link / mention it for inclusion.
> Have a link / DL for a mentioned resource? TAG THE OP and mention what you're supplying a link for.
> SCREENSHOT / PASTEBIN effortposts that help you for posterity.

>> No.5241994
File: 1.99 MB, 841x1227, WSJ_Issue_2019_04-05_Cover.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honest question but why does everyone on the west that wants to make manga seems to want to publish only in the Weekly Shonen Jump?

I get it, it's the most famous one and wher classics were born. But there are like more than a 100 other magazines that can help you stablish a career as a mangaka, and yet all i hear is that they want to go the most demanding, competitive and exploiding of them all, WSJ.

Why

>> No.5242020

>>5241994
People wanna shoot for the top, and Jump is unambiguously the top of the manga industry. It's like people who say they wanna play at Carnegie Hall, or go to Harvard etc.

>> No.5242022

>>5241994
same reason animators all wanna go to disney. i’d guess that it’s the top brand and looks good on your resume and as a sort of quality marker.

>> No.5242063
File: 47 KB, 379x310, 1606702163836.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5241994
Without wanting to sound pretentious, it's probably because they're unaware of what goes on in the manga publishing scene. I'd bet a lot of mangafags don't know what Shueisha is or wouldn't be able to name other Jump magazines that aren't Shonen Jump.

>> No.5242233

>>5241994
>But there are like more than a 100 other magazines that can help you stablish a career as a mangaka
It's because most of those magazines are complete unknowns outside of Japan and have little, if any, non-Japanese reach.
WSJ isn't just the most popular in Japan, it has a popular worldwide online service and tons of content in multiple languages. Weekly Shounen Magazine is in a similar situation, and both hosted international contests. That's why those two are most people's endgoals.

>> No.5242247

>>5241994
Clout.

If you actually wanted IP deals and an audience, you'd read the current state of the industry and post on LINE Webtoon.

>> No.5242342

>>5242247
are there really no alternatives (in terms of making a living as a comic creator) apart from webtoons? I don't know much about this industry and im still learning

>> No.5242595
File: 278 KB, 941x776, premediated murder.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ghost murder

>> No.5242598

>>5242595
Do you have some new pics of the church lady?
She rocks

>> No.5242608
File: 77 KB, 781x397, bfghfghf'.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5242598
she's in the scene after this one. I don't draw her as often as I should.

>> No.5242643

>>5242608
She needs more screentime
(also plz give me the link again, I lost it but it was a comfy read)

>> No.5242674

>>5241994
does everyone in the west really want to publish with Jump? I only know of one person. Everyone else sorta gives up cause they see it as an impossible goal.

>> No.5242723

I'm trying to learn hands, in general, and it's killing me.

>> No.5242914

>>5241064
What are some insights or techniques for drawing manga you had to figure out for yourself?

>> No.5243036

>>5242674
I'd infinitely rather try to do h-manga and get that published

>> No.5243093
File: 241 KB, 627x907, setsgdsfgfdgdfsgs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5242643
sorry I was at work
http://devilsmoon.cfw.me/

>>5242674
I wish I could but I know for a fact my current series would be rejected from a magazine like jump. I still sent a pitch to viz ether way.

>>5243036
based, I mentioned it last thread but I really want to make a milf battle manga, or something like Okusan. I wish my nsfw followers liked OC content at all.

>> No.5243098

>>5242914
General brush settings stuff. I've never seen a guide or a list of pointers on how to set up your brush settings for what you might like.
Like velocity. I haven't seen anyone else using that setting at all other than Gege Akutami using super strong velocity in his work.
I don't understand why it's so rare, I think it looks really nice and dynamic and adds an element of natural variation, something digital inking often sorely needs.
CSP rulers, too. Plenty of time wasted before I discovered the special rulers.

But honestly the biggest gamechanger for me is just realizing that "polished" artwork is somehow less compelling than "rushed" artwork. The more "polished" I'm trying to make a drawing the more time I spend looking at it and fiddling around bloating the time spent on it, whereas if I'm just drawing something to quickly get it down and move on I'm a lot more efficient with my time and can do it in a fraction of the time with often more appealing results.

>> No.5243108
File: 176 KB, 1903x1071, stick around and find out.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5241994
The thing newfags don't understand is that success in the manga industry can be fucking brutal if you're ill-equiped hell KIshimoto the creator of Naruto, one of the most acclaimed and popular properties in the world but his work gets cancelled by WSJ. These motherfuckers don't play around you gotta be a special kind of crazy and devoted to survive. Another thing to consider is that the curse of popularity. I firmly believe that there's such thing as too successful some mangaka will literally have to stretch their shit out (Death Note for example) or have to take breaks due to the health risks involved. Another example of the curse of popularity is when it affects how the series is perceived directly MHA fans proved that with the Caleb Cook bullshit. The way I see it, it's an gruesome industry but when you succeed the rewards are plentiful.

>> No.5243128

>>5243093
>I still sent a pitch to viz ether way.
Viz isn't Jump though, which isn't exactly a bad thing. Viz is ultimately based in America and will follow more American/English-language trends and interests. They're unlikely to follow the Jump model of business with being such a strict popularity contest and will likely be more lenient with creators.

>> No.5243145

>>5243093
>I still sent a pitch to viz ether way.
Good luck and keep us posted.

>> No.5243146

>>5243128
>pitching ideas to publishers

i have a question. lets say you publish your manga on something like webtoons or tapas and it turns out to have garnered positive reception and is relatively successful. can you pitch this same manga to a publisher so that you can get paid for it?

or is there some legalities surrounding copyrights and stuff, so you have to pitch a new idea to them where their editors dictate how your story should go?

i'm asking because i personally wouldn't bother to pitch my manga to a publisher unless i knew my stuff had proven worth. this way i can negotiate my pay and prove my creative freedom doesn't need to be restrained too much. otherwise, i'll just make manga that i'm happy to make as a hobby and personal project.

unless i have this all backwards and if you prove your manga successful off some free platform, then money comes to you anyways and publishers would be moot by that point?

>> No.5243147

>>5243146
well, for one thing, they presumably want to own the property you're pitching, which generally means exclusive publish rights
so even if they are somehow okay with publishing a series you're already self publishing, they almost certainly would not be okay with you continuing to self publish, and they'll probably want you to take the already-published work down.

>> No.5243148

>>5243108
>Another example of the curse of popularity is when it affects how the series is perceived directly MHA fans proved that with the Caleb Cook bullshit
I genuinely don’t know what you’re referring to here. I looked it up and it’s some fag translator on twitter.

>> No.5243151

>>5243147
i see. i am talking from the perspective of seeing successful webcomics online and seeing something like lore olympus getting a netflix deal and korean webtoons like tower of god getting drama/anime adaptations and wondering how that happened.

>> No.5243152

>>5243146
If it’s a Japanese publisher, they’re not going to want to work with you unless you speak Japanese. I’m sure you could negotiate some deal to print and distribute your books with them. But if you want to get paid by them to make it, then you need to jump through their hoops. Which starts by winning a contest, or at least getting an editor’s attention.

>> No.5243153

>>5243108
All this is changing thanks to Jump+

>> No.5243157

>>5243153
Could you elaborate?

>> No.5243161

>>5243157
Jump+ is growing fast, with SxF, Kaiju, and etc.... all making record sales in tanks, and Chainsawman also moved to J+.

Being online, they’re under a less rigid schedule and are allowed to update at their own leisure.

>> No.5243167

>>5243161
You didn't explain how that changes anything.
>all making record sales in tanks
Record sales for a new magazine, yes. Which doesn't mean anything, shit's still niche compared to WSJ itself.
>Being online, they’re under a less rigid schedule and are allowed to update at their own leisure.
Uh, no, they still have pretty harsh deadlines. It's just a bit easier because there's no printing phase before it can be distributed.

>> No.5243224

>>5243148
It was some twitter drama involving MHA's official english translator making a nasty remark towards a scan translator that spiralled out of control the way all twitter drama does.
It has very little to do with the industry itself afaik the guy still has his job and everything, he just closed down his twitter account due to harassment. Nothing more than some fans bitching around.

>> No.5243245

>>5243167
Why do you speak with so much authority over something you clearly know nothing about? You should consider changing your tone.

SxF is was in the top 10 best selling manga in Oricon last year. And mangaka have been on record how much more relaxed the scheduling with J+ is, being able to take more frequent breaks and so on. Yes, it’s not as absurdly relaxed as the American industry, but no one is being hospitalized from overwork anymore with J+.

The scheduling is comparable to being under contract for Webtoons. Strict, but not excessively brutal like WJS. A reality anyone who wants to turn this into a living has to contend with.

>> No.5243269 [DELETED] 

>>5243245
>SxF is was in the top 10 best selling manga in Oricon last year.
So was Goutobun. Is WSM also "changing everything"?
>And mangaka have been on record how much more relaxed the scheduling with J+ is, being able to take more frequent breaks and so on.
Can you post some?

>> No.5243272

>>5243245
>SxF is was in the top 10 best selling manga in Oricon last year.
So was Goutobun. Is WSM also changing all this?
>And mangaka have been on record how much more relaxed the scheduling with J+ is, being able to take more frequent breaks and so on.
Can you post some?

>> No.5243274

>>5243272
Yes, WSM is growing in popularity too. Kingdom, AoT, Gotobun. They’ve had more megahits than in the past.

>can you post some?
Just watch Eyepatch Wolf’s video on the matter. He posts the quotes.

>> No.5243301

>>5243274
>Just watch Eyepatch Wolf’s video on the matter. He posts the quotes.
Which video? And got a timestamp? I don't to sit through of more of this shit than I have to.

>> No.5243305

>>5243274
not to budge into this conversation but eyepatch wolf has been consistently wrong on multiple subjects, using bad info and making assumptions about really complicated thing. I would never want to quote him on anything.

>> No.5243550

>>5243151
>i am talking from the perspective of seeing successful webcomics online and seeing something like lore olympus getting a netflix deal and korean webtoons like tower of god getting drama/anime adaptations and wondering how that happened.
This happens because LINE Webtoon is technically a publisher. The most successful webcomics on their platform are taken up by LINE as featured comics. Their creators get regular payouts, vetted assistants, and various sponsorship and IP deals, all through the company.

They're a comic hosting platform, yes, but they've also taken up a lot of the duties of a traditional publisher because that way they can make money selling rights to the IP.

>> No.5243551

>>5243153
>>5243161
>>5243245
>>5243274
None of this really matters if Jump+ isn't open to outsider submissions.

>> No.5243591

>>5243098
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! The more you fiddle with a drawing the more formulaic and soulless it becomes.

I hated the g pen for the longest time, because from my perspective it just added pixelation to my lines. Then I saw a lot of pros use it, and realized that I just had to increase my canvas size and it looked great!

>> No.5243684

>>5243551
It's open to submissions in Japanese from anywhere in the world basically, since they're doing their indies thing now. It's not IP locked iirc, you can upload it right then and there.

>> No.5243849

>>5243551
I think most if not all publishers don't have a problem with being an outsider if you know japanese

>> No.5243853

>>5242342
>webtoons
either that or tapas

>> No.5243856

>>5243849
Knowing japanese is only part of it. You also have to know how to write in way that isn't going to alienate a japanese audience, which is something most who try never consider. Different culture's and shit.

>> No.5243931

>>5243856
Well it makes sense, if you're going to write for an audience you have to know your audience.

>> No.5243965

>>5243849
Fluently.

And you also have to be very skilled, and likely willing to relocate.

>> No.5244176

how much more time does coloring add to the manga making process?

I want to avoid it if possible, because atm its taking me like 4 hours to color one page and I'm sure I'm not doing it right, but if I were to practice and learn the proper workflow how long would it take? Especially for detailed pages with backgrounds

>> No.5244242
File: 11 KB, 214x317, 1600780499470.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>made Shueisha his bitch and does whatever he wants
How can one man be so based?

>> No.5244857

>>5243965
>Fluently.

That's pretty obvious

>> No.5245532

i made a short 7 page manga just to see if i could but deleted it the next day after it was finished. not out of hatred or anything i just had to get it out of my system but it was pretty fun maybe i'll keep doing them if i stop being lazy one day which i doubt.

>> No.5245749
File: 17 KB, 168x301, cato.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

cat bump

>> No.5246550

>>5245532
Why would you even do that? You should save your work, even if you don't show it to people.

>> No.5246762

>>5246550
I don't know I delete (most) things all the time after a while. I've never been one to save things I make for long periods of time unless its necessary. Like I even delete all text conversations on my phone shortly after they end as well etc. Pretty sure it's a deeper problem manifesting there now that I think about it but I don't know lol. If I told you the amount of music and art I've deleted for one reason or another over the years you'd have a heart attack.

>> No.5246795
File: 366 KB, 1500x843, 1589689417271.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How can I hone my hand practice into an actual learning experience?

>> No.5246837

>>5246795
Will Weston said to buy Bridgmans "book of a hundred hands" and to copy all of it. And then do it again. And again. And again. And again.

>> No.5246839

>>5246837
Can you attest to results?

>> No.5246858
File: 155 KB, 284x650, character.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5246762
damn, i'm the opposite. i'm a hoarder especially when it comes to my art. i have comics i've made since i was 10 years old and still have them to this day. i like looking back at my old stuff and comparing them to how i am today. i'd probably cry if i lost it all in a fire, which will probably happen one day unless i get off my ass and scan all my shit.

pic related, according to file info, this says i drew this in 2008, roughly 16 years old. pls no bully, i know it's cringe.

>> No.5246863
File: 147 KB, 267x590, oops.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5246858
oops heres the pic related

>> No.5247190

>>5246863
dorito chin aside that looks really good. gritty vibes.

>> No.5247196

what canvas size do you guys work in?

>> No.5247210

>>5247196
the default a4 canvas with a4 bindings

>> No.5247211
File: 19 KB, 356x470, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5246762
This is all my art stuff since 2014. How does this make you feel?

>> No.5247294
File: 563 KB, 1739x1263, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there a specific tutorial on how to make good smoke effects?

>> No.5247359

>>5247190
thank you, i don’t actually remember what i was going for with that style but edgy/gritty sounds about right. fuck i’m old.

>> No.5247487
File: 434 KB, 1140x805, gdfgdfgsdfgd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

do you guys think the background on the last panel is too intrusive? I've always been afraid of cluttering pages too much

>> No.5248142

>>5241064
what does /mmg/ think about using stock image packs for things like explosions, craters, forests, etc?
and does anyone have a mega to such resources?

>> No.5248467

>>5248142
Personally I don't like the look that those give, but I also generally end up being rather picky when it comes to the way that I do my environments. I want them to match the style of everything else that I'm doing and find that hand-drawn backgrounds have way more personality even though they're more time-consuming.

Some people do it well though, and they're definitely an invaluable time-saving tool.

As you can imagine though, I don't have any resources to that effect, sorry anon. I do know, however, that CSP's asset store has a lot of 3D models and stamps and textures and similar things that are used for those sorts of processes. I also know that a lot of people just greybox things in simple 3D / CAD programs like Sketchup and then draw over them. If someone comes up with another quality resource though, perhaps we should add it to the OP.

>> No.5248513

>>5247487
>intrusive
Disjointed is the better word.
The lines are perfectly straight and of a single weight on the right hand wall and roof in the background. The bush is cartoonishly fluffy in comparison to everything else and the grey wall just sits perfectly flat against the ground while having varying line weight throughout.
Did you actually draw any of that, or is it tools and assets?
I mean, it's obviously tools or assets.
Why would you be afraid of cluttering pages when all you really drew was two characters and a cat/dog?
You need to work on the extremely bizarre anatomy you've got going on before you can even begin to work on backgrounds anon. Even then, you should be drawing your backgrounds instead of using free assets and straight line tools.

>> No.5248625

>>5247487
You should try drawing that background yourself in the same style as everything else. It will look better than just shitting bush brushes and brick brushes everywhere

>> No.5248644

Is this thread manga only or can you post about western comic making too?

>> No.5248658

>>5246795
Try looking into the muscles and understanding how the shapes connect to each other. Try breaking the hand into shapes, that way even if isn't accurate it can look like you know, a hand.

>>5246837
This could only work if you already know how the hand works. Real-life hand pictures are your best friend.

>> No.5248663

>>5247294
Look sakuga books (like Black Rock Shooter on Settei dreams). Usually they have good examples of smoke and that stuff.

>>5248644
Anything you want, although there used to be a comic thread. Don't know what happened to it.

>> No.5248821

>>5248644
Manga and manga-derivative, generally. No one can really stop you from posting alternative material though, and personally I can understand wanting to post some stuff here anyway seeing as most of the rest of the board is more willing to meme than to draw or offer meaningful advice.

>> No.5248868

Its been a few months since I've been here, but didn't some anon legitimately make it? Did he end up being published?

>> No.5248891

>>5248868
>but didn't some anon legitimately make it?
Meaningless term.

>Did he end up being published?
Some people have editor contacts and / or deals in the works, but nothing yet to my understanding.

>> No.5249055

>>5248891
>Some people have editor contacts and / or deals in the works, but nothing yet to my understanding.
Speaking of this. Anyone have any first hand experience dealing with Viz? Or do they just ghost if they're not interested? It's hard to find any good info online.

>> No.5250139

>>5249055
When did you apply? What did you send?

>> No.5250215
File: 184 KB, 1100x1100, EvwiI4NWYAAhdO-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Speaking of VIZ, they announced a new book in the Originals line today.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1368005925840289796

>> No.5250444

>>5250139
Just wanted more info. Since nothing was announced before I asked(besides Fangirl). With >>5250215 announced, I'm questioning if Viz a good choice for me to begin with. Until they announce more stories, that don't feel like YA novels that is.
I'd like to hear about everyone's first impressions when they read the description of World Piece. Maybe I'm just biased?

>> No.5250447

>>5250444
From what I saw their first release (Fangirl) was well-received, though it also already had an audience since it was a well-selling book beforehand. World Piece isn't out yet so there's no way to know whether it's good or not or feels like a YA novel.

>> No.5250472

>>5250447
>World Piece isn't out yet so there's no way to know whether it's good or not or feels like a YA novel.
True. But, it'll take a while before we see more.

>> No.5250662
File: 498 KB, 385x600, 423884B4-766E-4B44-8613-96CE10B086C9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5241064
How do I make this flower things on Procreate?

>> No.5251769

>>5250215
I feel like I should be more excited a premise like this, but...

>Art firmly wedged between Tumblr and 90's how-to-draw-anime style
>POC main character
>Tumblr half shaved head with a spiked mowhawk/sidecut hairstyle.

...I just can't.

>> No.5251787

>>5251769
I wonder how much involvement Viz has in the final product. Do their editors get involved with approving designs and/or giving mandates to the authors? Rhetorical question of course, it would only be speculation.

>> No.5251961
File: 120 KB, 225x350, Uub-Dragon-Ball.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5251769
>POC main character
Genuinely stupid reason to hate anything outright. You realize Japanese people aren't white, right?

>Art firmly wedged between Tumblr and 90's how-to-draw-anime style
This I agree on, the art-style doesn't strike me as very appealing or on-brand.

Spiked mohawks / sidecuts are genuinely cool imo; I think the problem here just loops back around to art style if anything.

>> No.5252008

>>5251961
>You realize Japanese people aren't white, right?
Sure, but they aren't black either. Most people in actual anime and manga are of a somewhat ubiquitous race. They could basically be anything. This, on the other hand, is a basketball playing black dude. Give me a break.

>>5251961
>Spiked mohawks / sidecuts are genuinely cool imo; I think the problem here just loops back around to art style if anything.
Posting what is generally considered to be one of the most unpopular, disliked characters in all of DB isn't exactly helping your point.

Either way, I guess I mostly brought it up because I am genuinely curious as to what type of precedence this will start setting for these Western/English Viz Originals. Happening here or there I can totally get behind and understand, but if ends up that every one of these ends up that gets picked up is looking like its done for twitter diversity points or to pander to the woke crowd (similar to how Oni Press and most western comics are doing things) then it will basically be another outlet that will dry up for many people unless they're pandering to progressive SJWs.

>> No.5252009

>>5252008
>This, on the other hand, is a basketball playing black dude. Give me a break.
And the problem is what, exactly? Are black people not supposed to be in comics?

>Posting what is generally considered to be one of the most unpopular, disliked characters in all of DB isn't exactly helping your point.
I posted him for aesthetics, not the character.

>> No.5252010

>>5252008
>Most people in actual anime and manga are of a somewhat ubiquitous race.
Most people in anime and manga are japanese.

>> No.5252022

>>5252008
>Most people in actual anime and manga are of a somewhat ubiquitous race.
They are Japanese anon, please stop with the coping

>> No.5252027

>>5252009
>And the problem is what, exactly?
Going for diversity points, and then picking one of the most hilarious stereotypes for that race imaginable.

>>5252009
>I posted him for aesthetics, not the character.
And you failed, because that character sucks AND looks stupid.

>>5252010
>Most people in anime and manga are japanese.
But the point is, they don't look it. See, that's the beauty about anime and manga; by virtue of design, they almost always look like they could be anyone.

Anyway, like I said, I'm more interested in seeing if this sets a precedence, rather than it as a particular example.

>> No.5252044
File: 60 KB, 593x599, d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5252027
>Going for diversity points, and then picking one of the most hilarious stereotypes for that race imaginable.
How do you know this character is a stereotype? You literally have one picture of them, and it's an established fact that a lot of black people play basketball. I'm not particularly expecting a masterpiece here and I'm not super interested in defending something that I know nothing about, but this is fridge-temp IQ analysis and reads more like backpedaling than anything else.

>And you failed, because that character sucks AND looks stupid.
I think Uub has a cool aesthetic but okay. Here's some other random drawing with a side-shave. The idea that this is somehow "Tumblr" is really stupid considering punk subcultures have been wearing this kind of hairstyle for decades. If you don't like it that's fine but going "SJW hairstyle lol" just makes you seem like a moron.

>>5252027
>But the point is, they don't look it. See, that's the beauty about anime and manga; by virtue of design, they almost always look like they could be anyone.
This has literally nothing to do with the fact that your initial objection was that this comic stars a black person. The idea that Black People In Comics = Megawoke SJW Pandering is a moronic idea that stifles art and dissuades people from making good art featuring people of all types. If a comic or film or videogame's lead character doesn't look like someone you look like, do you not read the comic?

Again, I'm more than willing to trash this thing if it turns out to be bad (I don't think it's going to be that good and again, the art style does not appeal to me at all), but these are the most idiotic reasons for dismissal I've seen in a long time.

>> No.5252134

I’d be worried about giving my ideas to anyone like this viz thing because of what happened with tokyopop all this years ago

>> No.5252142

>>5252134
What happened?

>> No.5252150

>>5252142
Tokyopop and places like walden books were in some kind of partnership. I think walden books owed them a bunch of money which is partially what led to Toykopop going under. Well anyway, they were doing this same thing where they were publishing western-made manga, and when TP went under, all these creator's IPs were legally still owned by TP contractually, so they basically couldn't work on their own comics anymore or have them published with other publishers.

>> No.5252356
File: 29 KB, 225x350, 113192.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5252044

The anon you are replying to just won't admit that either he personally dislikes the character, by saying that others do not like Uub

>Posting what is generally considered to be one of the most unpopular, disliked characters in all of DB isn't exactly helping your point

Then saying "its because of his hairstyle".

I think the real issue might be:

>It's only bad when black people do it

Which I'm not discounting that Uub isn't a hated character, I've read, and heard people recount their disdain for him. Personally I didn't care too much because DBZ/GT was always about the Saiyans, so every other character was just a notch above a joke, but let's be real. Websites don't own hairstyles, and not every hairstyle suggests similar characters. Yes, certain hairstyles are easier to attain based on racial background, but that doesn't mean it is "owned" bu said race. Otherwise Akira Toriyama, or even anime wouldn't be as widely popular, or successful as it is today.

>> No.5252383
File: 659 KB, 1500x1285, 2753FA03-C8DA-42F0-AE5F-AAF90FBE1059.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5252356
>>5252044
>>5252027
i think the biggest sin about using mohawks is that the artist has little sense of fashion or aesthetics AND that it’s drawn in an ugly style. combined with a black character, it looks like some sjw tier garbage.

if this was drawn by pic related (boondocks artist btw) there wouldn’t be any issue.

>> No.5252403
File: 43 KB, 571x723, FD689A19-D034-4555-8F5D-FC07C5155607.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5252383
pic related, same artist, a black guy with mohawk but done better. has much more character and looks more interesting than whatever the fuck that world piece guy (stupid title too btw, it’s not clever and just tells me it’s one of those generic save the world stories without telling me what’s the interesting way they go about it) had done.

>> No.5252410

>>5252383
This. The race of the character doesn't matter here, it's just kind of unappealing as a style. If you bleached that kid's skin the cover wouldn't get any better.

>> No.5252414
File: 133 KB, 1920x1080, shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-3ds-review-in-progress-day-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5252383
>if this was drawn by pic related (boondocks artist btw) there wouldn’t be any issue.

Arguing on the stance of something you are not verifying to exist, is insane. And implying Akira Toriyama's style is ugly is an unpopular opinion to an extreme to be honest with you.

>>5252403

While the mohawk is good, there are differences, and that is apparent. You can't say what others tastes are.

>> No.5252428

>>5252414
i didn’t say akita’s style was ugly, speed reader lol.

anyways wtf are you going on about, i can’t even figure out what you’re upset about here. i literally said it’s because world piece guy’s art looks ugly and generic not because of the mohawk or that his character is black, but because his style is ugly and generic and he has no sense of fashion/aesthetics and it shows, which is why the cover speaks like it’s some sjw garbage.

>> No.5252432

>>5252428
akira* my autocorrect lol.

>> No.5252434

>>5252414
>And implying Akira Toriyama's style is ugly is an unpopular opinion to an extreme to be honest with you.
He's clearly talking about the World Piece character's design. Not Toriyama's.

At the very least, it sort of makes sense for Uub to have one because its just supposed to mirror Buu's head dick.

>> No.5252451

>>5252434

>He's clearly talking about the World Piece character's design. Not Toriyama's.

>i think the biggest sin about using mohawks is that the artist has little sense of fashion or aesthetics AND that it’s drawn in an ugly style. combined with a black character, it looks like some sjw tier garbage.

>AND that it’s drawn in an ugly style. combined with a black character, it looks like some sjw tier garbage.

>it’s drawn in an ugly style
>combined with a black character
>it looks like some sjw tier garbage.

He didn't specify, and noted traits that Uub also has, but feel free to say "No, that's not what I was talking about".

>> No.5252455

>>5252451
wtf, i think you’re confused. i’m a brand new anon lurking the thread and chipped my 2 cents on the matter just now starting with >>5252383

>> No.5253151

>>5252044
>The idea that Black People In Comics = Megawoke SJW Pandering is a moronic idea that stifles art and dissuades people from making good art featuring people of all types. If a comic or film or videogame's lead character doesn't look like someone you look like, do you not read the comic?
Not him, but it's what we've been taught to expect. Taught, that is, by the fact that every single time a western comic book has featured a black protagonist it's always been to preach about race inequality or whatever. I don't want "black protagonist = this is about race" to be the case but the instances where this isn't the case is dwarfed by the cases where it is. In other words, it's reasonable to expect that when that's all we know about the book.
But I personally will gladly be proven incorrect. I have nothing wrong with black or minority protags I'm just sick of being preached at.

>>5252356
>It's only bad when black people do it
Again, not him, but it's SO much worse when a rainbow-haired white is doing it, because the whole "breaking the establishment" thing isn't a punk thing anymore, it's been adopted by SJWs.
Anyway I personally think it's just a hideous haircut.

>>5252134
I think everyone is.
If they were doing it more like a jap magazine model instead of the western book-deal model then I'd have been willing to give it a shot though. Missed opportunity on their part, IMO. I don't understand why they don't try to imitate the part of the japanese business model that clearly works.

>> No.5253248

>>5253151
>Not him, but it's what we've been taught to expect. Taught, that is, by the fact that every single time a western comic book has featured a black protagonist it's always been to preach about race inequality or whatever. I don't want "black protagonist = this is about race" to be the case but the instances where this isn't the case is dwarfed by the cases where it is.

This is because the viewer, is supposed to learn from media. What lesson has most white owned, created, and orientated media not learned yet? You can say it's the woke activists that make it about race, but that's the point, it is, and calling someone racist for pointing this out is a scapegoat argument.

>Again, not him, but it's SO much worse when a rainbow-haired white is doing it, because the whole "breaking the establishment" thing isn't a punk thing anymore, it's been adopted by SJWs

IMO white people, males specifically, are in a bad spot in the eyes of the global society. Either you are a white pride advocate, which there is nothing wrong with that, it's just most make it about "WHITES ARE SUPERIOR, DON'T YOU KNOW THAT", when it's clear that not everyone shares the same view. On the other hand, you have white people who go overboard with the whole "black people are people too", to the point it's cringy. It should be common knowledge that black people are people.

>Anyway I personally think it's just a hideous haircut

I felt that way when I first saw the hairstyle becoming culturally popular years ago, but nowadays I tend to like it. Personally, the artist in World Peace didn't try to do anything unique with it.

>> No.5253413

>>5250215
>https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1368005925840289796

Everyone's arguing about black protagonists, when this twitter post is filled with black cringe reaction tweets lol. I don't think ppl like his design.

Viz is kind of blowing it. They only have a vague cover and a vague description of the comic and already accepting preorders? No proper concept art, no page previews, no nothing. You can try to look around to the artists' or writer's twitter for more art, but that's not ideal and there's barely any. Fangirl took a while before they added any art as well, but at least that book came with a fanbase from the novel. You'd think they'd promote their own original IP's better then just, here's the cover, go buy it.

For the book. The title is bad, since it's confusing so many people with One Piece. The cover is just this dude with earth/basketball. Who is this book meant for? It almost sounds like a romcom, but the cover is somewhat shonen-ish. It's also numbered. I don't see how you can have multiple volumes worth of story about shrinking planet earth?

>> No.5253424

>>5253413
Viz are pretty fucking shit at actually, you know, publishing things huh.

>> No.5253465

>>5253424
It seems that way. A shame really.

>> No.5253546

>>5253413
>this twitter post is filled with black cringe reaction tweets lol. I don't think ppl like his design.
I think this is less due to his design and more due to the fact that OEL has yet to be anything other than a meme. People are going to get mad at them for posting western stuff when what they really want are updates to their favorite series (check the comments under any VIZ announcement; half of them are excited and half of them are complaining about something entirely unrelated).

If this comic looked like some random undiscovered shit out of Japan style-wise, I'm sure the reaction would have been more positive. Look at the hype surrounding that Akai guy that nobody in here seems to like and you'll notice a stark difference in reception (though part of that is also probably due to the fact that, love him or hate him, the Akai guy knows how to build hype and market himself.

>> No.5253638

>>5251961
>Japanese people aren't white, right?
They’re honorary whites.

>> No.5253643

>>5252009
>And the problem is what, exactly? Are black people not supposed to be in comics?
I’d prefer it if they weren’t. The less niggers I have to see in my daily life, the better.

I’m so tired of every single western outlet pandering to this diversity crap with race mix couples, race bending famous historical figures or established white characters, and forcing “muh POC” into the lead role.

>> No.5253646

>>5252134
Ideas are secondary to execution.

>> No.5253651
File: 216 KB, 1146x566, help.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

tasukete kure

>> No.5253668

>>5253643
>I’d prefer it if they weren’t. The less niggers I have to see in my daily life, the better.
spend less time on /pol/ and more time talking to people

>> No.5253698

>>5253668
There are no blacks where I live, thankfully.

>> No.5253755
File: 80 KB, 850x1020, 1614386143998.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I gave in. I used a perspective guide. I feel guilty but god the drawing went a lot smoother

>> No.5253822

>>5253755
Is there supposed to be something wrong with that...?
The only reason not to would be if you're skilled enough that you can eyeball it quickly and produce a result that fools the eye.

>> No.5253838

>>5253424
This.
It doesn't help that they were (and still are?) censoring manga when they brought them over.

>> No.5253843

>>5253546
>the Akai guy
Who?

>> No.5253853

>>5253843
Some nigger with a shitty derivative manga he paid other people to draw for him, who arrogantly though he was going to win the Tezuka Award and was the laughingstock of this thread for week. I’m surprised that anon took his side like that.

>> No.5253858

>>5253853
>took his side like that.
Where did I take his side anon? I said
>Look at the hype surrounding that Akai guy
There is provable hype surrounding him. I think the product is *shit,* having read it, but this is a fact.

>> No.5253875

>>5253651
reminds me of this speed drawing from Yoshikadu, maybe it'll help you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAUKymZigxQ

>> No.5253883
File: 261 KB, 1195x580, sdfsdfsdfsdfsdafsdfd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5253875
The background lines are the easy part. I still have background tones and have to draw a whole rooms worth of teenagers. I have an assistant for the character tones, thank god.