[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 74 KB, 1024x528, 1590979853234m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5228439 No.5228439 [Reply] [Original]

How in the goddamn fuck do you make lines into a beautiful piece of art?

>> No.5228442

good news! every single piece of art theory and education is based around this very topic

>> No.5228457
File: 190 KB, 1092x780, picasso-bull-drawing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5228439
here's an exercise for you, op

trace over a photograph of a person you find attractive with ONLY straight lines

because there will be curves, some of the lines need to be very small, right? try to reduce the amount of space between the line and the curve, but also keep the number of total lines in your drawing at a minimum

when you're done, you're going to trace over this new drawing. but you're ONLY going to keep the lines that are absolutely essential to creating the form

keep throwing away lines until you have the absolute bare minimum

something like this picasso drawing

>> No.5228554

>>5228439
by years and years of studying art

>> No.5228557

>>5228439
No one knows.

>> No.5228575

FUNDIES

>> No.5228583

>>5228457
Any beg who thinks tracing is "easy" or "cheating" should trace a photograph and post it. What lines do you keep? Which shapes do you fill? What is the line weight? Should the line weight change based on a feature? All those questions transfer to more stylized/cartoonish art.

>> No.5228980
File: 99 KB, 1323x733, iOHS18R.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5228457
>>5228583
something i learned was that if you can't even make something look good by tracing over it, how the fuck do you expect for it to look good when you do a copy of it, much less try to draw it from imagination?

unironically tracing actually works
or at least it opens up your eyes

i'd say to trace something you want to draw and keep tracing it until it looks good
add lines, remove lines, add shading where there isn't, disregard shading where there is
eventually, you'll come out with a traced drawing that you think is pretty good
once you do that, try to figure out what exactly you did and try to copy it, after that, try to draw it from imagination

i kept neglecting tracing for a while as a beg but i only just began to realize that if you're so bad that you can't even trace something and make it look good, don't even try to copy it much less try to draw it from imagination

also, when you trace, don't get up real close to the image and trace very fine details and lines
tracing really only works when you get the big picture
i wish i had examples from when i was level 0 beg and i traced but after 50 hours, i got so good at tracing that i found myself tracing details that i missed before like shadow shapes and other fine lines

so basically
Trace --> Copy --> Imagination

>> No.5229091

>>5228980
100% agree
couldn't have said it better myself

>> No.5229104

>>5228980
But how the fuck am i supposed to memorize this?
It doesnt matter wether i spend 100 years tracing and practicing fundies if I'm gonna make shitty artworks later without refs.
How the hell am I supposed to memorize the complexities of the human body, the different hairstyles, clothings,garments and etcaetera

So basically if you want to suceed in art, you must be a human CPU that stores anything with just drawing/tracing it?

>> No.5229119

>>5229104
>But how the fuck am i supposed to memorize this?
You don't. You build an intuition. And if you're working in digital, you undo / work in a new layer.

>How the hell am I supposed to memorize the complexities of the human body, the different hairstyles, clothings,garments and etcaetera
You don't. You work from reference. You will naturally acquire a visual memory that you can use to draw from imagination. Just the same way you can draw a snow man or smiley face. Instead of "circle with a curve at the bottom" you will think "forehead then eye brow ridge, eyes sink in, cheeks come back out, jaw and chin recede backwards, lips have a W-like shape, there's a philtrum between nose and top of lip, etc."

>So basically if you want to suceed in art, you must be a human CPU that stores anything with just drawing/tracing it?
quit being so absolute
relax a bit, anon

>> No.5229127

>>5229104
mate, that's why i said you have to move onto copying and then to memorization
you can't expect to be able to draw something from memory if you can't even copy it
you can't expect to be able to copy it if you can't even trace it

tracing is the beginning of all beginnings
master the art of tracing and you will be able to move up the ladder

>> No.5229152
File: 162 KB, 347x370, SumatraPDF_xkUMEDvOb9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5229119
>famous artists course
look it up
we've been talking about this series of books/course in another thread
i screen-capped one of the pages just for you, anon

everything is a primitive/volume that takes up 3d space

you just need to learn how to flatten 3d onto a two dimensional piece of paper/canvas/screen/whatever

to learn, there are several methods. most people learn construction via primitives. there are rules of perspective to help you set yourself straight with prescribed methods

slowly you build an intuition for how to do these things and can just draw their silhouette or contours

how often do you think about learning vowels and consonants until you could learn to read? but god damn it, you did it. the fact you're reading this is proof.

creating an image is about placing tiny units (lines, shapes, colors) onto a flat surface. if you can abandon the idea that artists tap into some hypnotic state and start drawing from imagination, then you can learn to draw.

drawing well is taking measurements and creating depictions of things. that's all it is.

>> No.5229157

meant to reply to >>5229104

>> No.5229217

>>5229104
>How the hell am I supposed to memorize the complexities of the human body, the different hairstyles, clothings,garments and etcaetera
you use that thing called a brain. and repeat, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again x10^6

>> No.5229222

>>5228439
You have to be good at art. You achieve this by practicing for years and years.

>> No.5229223

>>5228980
It does not teach you the eye-hand coordination, nor does it teach you obervation skills, since every line is given, and you just have to follow the image.

The design-aspect on the other hand can be challening, since now you can choose how you want to design the shapes, or the lines, e.g..
But tracing it is easy, it does not teach you anything (maybe something).