[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 332 KB, 888x760, dream-job-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5178182 No.5178182 [Reply] [Original]

I'm curious what anon's dream job and lifestyle looks like. Possible answers might look like:

>I want to do concept art/storyboarding for film and/or games, travel, sleep in hotels, have a small apartment that I retreat to 1-2 times each year for a few months at a time. I stock the place with food and supplies, leaving only when necessary. Eventually production resumes and I'm back on the road. I don't see my apartment for a few more months. I'm assigned work and complete it to specification. I like not having a lot of responsibilities, but the workload is big. People know my name, but I'm not recognized in public.

>I want to live in a loft in a big city, take commissions, paint, socialize, etc. I don't like to cook, and I will dine out for every meal because my salary allows me the luxury. I spend a lot of time researching and experimenting with things. I want to set new trends, and am responsible for creating my own assignment. Luckily, my art is well-received, but there are occasionally moments of panic. I'm a public figure, and can't leave without being recognized.

>I own a cabin in a remote location, and create a handful of finished pieces every year which I exhibit. I spend the majority of my time at home, save for a week or two during exhibition. I split my time between homesteading and painting. The winter months provide ample time for creating art while the summer months are spent planning for winter. My works are considered some of the best in the world, but I don't benefit from my fame in any way other than financially.

I expect there will be some joke replies, but keep in mind that I actually care about and will read what you have to say. Why not craft a thoughtful reply? No matter what you choose, I love you.

>> No.5178220

I want to work at a coffee shop in Switzerland, listening to the mountain fjords and waterfalls. Then I’d go home and drink mulled wine with my wife and pass out drawing my manga

>> No.5178225

>>5178220
>wife
lmao dream on

>> No.5178228

I want to live in a normal capitalist country, and not in this thirdworld-comunist one.

>> No.5178230
File: 127 KB, 1024x1022, 47015679-E335-4FE8-AC2A-CE95B1D09A10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wanna bang many bitches and have them fawn over my abs and broad shoulders, I wanna be better off than just about everyone, I want to have access to plentiful weed and liquor but only partake sparingly, I want to be the greatest artist in the history

>> No.5178231

>tiny living space paid off in full
>live within walking distance of a cute coffee shop or library to study at
>cat
>draw daily
>learn jp daily
>exercise a few times per week
>eat well
>make enough freelancing to survive

>> No.5178251

>>5178220
nice

>>5178225
hateful

>>5178228
relatable

>>5178230
i respect your wish

>>5178231
nice

>> No.5178257

>>5178182
The dream is to just draw and create. I make a modest living commisioned a few times as a painter or a designer, most of my time is not spent working. I live alone in an apartment filled with books and art supplies. It’s always cold, there’s a lot of snow. I live in a big city with a park. I plein-air and I’m a part of the cities art community. I plan on getting a masters soon to become a professor.

>> No.5178267

>>5178228
Move

>> No.5178268

>>5178182
>wake up
>feed cat, wash, breakfast
>paint
>lunch
>paint
>dinner
>sketch, read, or take a walk depending on day
>sleep
>when things are done I send them to earn money
>money has to be enough to buy new art supplies, cover medical costs, food for one person and a cat, single-room apartment bills.

>> No.5178282

>>5178182
I like option 3 with a sprinkle of 1. I'm remote but not so far off the grid that I literally spend my entire life subsistence farming, though I do run a fat ass garden and basically live on the mountainside. Somewhere uphill from Denver or so, in driving distance of a real city but far enough away for comfort. Due to being artistically famous and well paid for being badass, I occasionally get contracts to fly out to wherever all expenses paid and give a little magic to whatever the project in question is.

>> No.5178365
File: 441 KB, 1500x773, gmi bros.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to work in AI, in face recognition or something.
Drawing is just something that keeps the depression in check.

>> No.5178427

Dunno. Have tried a lot of routes and not sure what Im supposed to be doing or where I'll end up. I never really fit in with the art kids, Im just too quiet and weird. I liked math and stuff so I tried architecture a bit, tried business but Im too introverted. I like marketing and think its a good mix of creativity and practicality. Some kind of comfy marketing job or doing freelance SEO/Analytics would be great where you have enough time to work on art projects outside of it. I think that would be nice and its what im aiming for at the moment. Godspeed

>> No.5178457

>>5178427
what was studying architecture like? asking cause this is my declared major.

>> No.5178488

>>5178457
so lets see... in HS i did a CAD class and did another CAD class and landscape arch at a community college. I cant tell you what actual arch school was like but I found CAD really dull and we just copied part designs with the pen tool or whatever it was. Landscape arch I felt so out of place I was super plant focused and just wanted to stop showing up. You also had to do 2 years of physics to get admitted to the arch program where it was offered. To get into the business school you needed 1 yr of calc and then take cal 2 at their bus school. So I went that route instead

>> No.5178512

First of all, I want my anxiety and constant panic attacks to go away, and I want to have a reasonable amount of energy. That would be nice.

Once that's out of the way? Small home in a small town. Preferably the town I grew up in, I like it so much I could literally stroll through it every single day for the rest of my life without getting bored. Would be perfect for walking a dog whom I'd name Chopper.

I would earn some easy money drawing high-quality, non-banal lewds, and spend the rest of my "working" hours homemaking for my boyfriend/husband - who not only approves of my work, but enjoys it himself, and gives me ideas and requests from time to time. On the side, I draw some comics for my own enjoyment, posting them on a separate blog. In general, I'm happy with the quality of my drawings and can doodle spontaneous ideas freely. (this part honestly sounds less realistic than the loving bf lol)

Aside from that, I'd want to be healthy ofc, and look reasonably nice and cute for my age - with my husband calling me "cute", as we drift off to sleep watching some silly anime...

That's literally all I want in life, and the thought that not even that is guaranteed honestly just makes my heart sink. Nevertheless - thank you for the wholesome thread OP, you are a good person.

also
>>5178230
based

>> No.5178592

>>5178512
>and look reasonably nice and cute for my age - with my husband calling me "cute", as we
This is where your post became larping

>> No.5178605 [DELETED] 

I'd like to live by myself on a wild, vast dynamic beach in a snug cabin built into or protected from weather by the coastline. I'd like the walls around the front to be made of sturdy floor-to ceilng panes of glass with a comfortable window seat/couch or bed alcove built next to it from which I could be warm while watching the ocean. I'd love if some elements of the wood cabin were sculpturally carved. I'd like this cabin to be a few miles from a beach town that has all the amenities for good prices. A local art community and gallery would be nice too, but not necessary. I'd like to work remotely a good part of the time, on outsourced contracts and freelancing, but for larger and long-term projects, I'd go get a tiny but snug apartment near whatever studio or company has hired me, hopefully near the coast and on the fringe of whatever city, and commute to work by bike, foot, or bus. I might rent out my cabin during these times. Once my contract expires, I'll return to my cabin, and again. I wouldn't care if I'm known at all, but would like my work and deportment to be excellent enough that I'd have no trouble consistantly getting nice jobs from employers who treat their employees very well. The selfish wish I'd want most from my workplaces is a lack of office politics, and a number of admirably skilled coworkers I could get along well with, possibly with introverted tendencies, who would feel comfortable to work beside. I would love if there were workers I could look up to. I would also love if I never detract from my workplaces, and am always an asset. I'd like to come up with an excellent plan for my retirement, since I will have to manage this myself. I'd like to try working for an excellent outsourcing studio for a good while at the beginning, the produces beautiful work.

>> No.5178637

>I'd like to live by myself on a wild, vast dynamic beach in a snug cabin built into or protected from weather by the coastline.
>I'd like the walls around the front to be made of sturdy floor-to ceilng panes of glass with a comfortable window seat/couch or bed alcove built next to it from which I could be warm while watching the ocean. I'd love if some elements of the wood cabin were sculpturally carved.
>I'd like this cabin to be a few miles from a beach town that has all the amenities for good prices. A local art community and gallery would be nice too, but not necessary.
>I'd like to work remotely a good part of the time, on outsourced contracts and freelancing, but for larger and long-term projects, I'd go get a tiny but snug apartment near whatever studio or company has hired me, hopefully near the coast and on the fringe of whatever city, and commute to work by bike, foot, or bus. I might rent out my cabin during these times. Once my contract expires, I'll return to my cabin, and again.
>I wouldn't care if I'm known at all, but would like my work and deportment to be excellent enough that I'd have no trouble consistently getting nice jobs from employers who treat their employees very well.
>The selfish wish I'd want most from my workplaces is a lack of office politics.
>I'd very much appreciate if I had a number of admirably skilled coworkers I could get along well with, possibly with introverted tendencies, who would feel comfortable to work beside.
>I would also love if there were a mind blowingly skilled person I could look up to on the peremisis. >I would love if I never detract from my workplaces, and am always an asset.
>I'd like to come up with an excellent plan for my retirement, since I will have to manage this myself.
>I'd like to try working for an excellent outsourcing studio for a good while at the beginning, one that produces beautiful work.

>> No.5178894

>>5178182
like the one i have now, except i don't have to show up for a day job.

>> No.5178899

>having dreams
lol

>> No.5178903

>>5178182
I want to keep working only 2 hours a day without worrying about money

>> No.5178985

>>5178182
no job, wish I just had enough savings to not work for the rest of my life
i'd just spend my time teaching myself skills and reading manga and such. that would be nice. i don't care about recognition because i get paranoid posting my work and delete it all the time anyway. i don't want people to see it.
honestly it's basically my life now except i'm a worthless hikki leeching off my mum rather than independantly wealthy
i can't imagine myself in any sort of real employment and never have been able to. ever since i was a kid i knew i was never going to make it in adult life and of course i did not. i can't even get past interviews for shitty retail jobs because i come off 'too quiet'.
other people's dreams only come off nightmarish to me because i can't manage any non anonymous social interaction at all aside from immediate family, it's getting worse as i get older. i try not to think about it too much.

>> No.5179000

>>5178985
>i can't even get past interviews for shitty retail jobs because i come off 'too quiet'
amazon warehouse. zero resume, zero interview. just sign up online, show up at the onboarding and pass the drug test.
also fuck amazon

>> No.5179479

>>5178488
thanks man.

>> No.5180128

>>5178592
lmao.

>> No.5180321

>>5178182
what's yours?

>>5178220
comfy

>>5178225
rude

>>5178228
good luck

>>5178230
good luck too, but be careful not to fall into a big mental hole when you lose your spirit

>>5178231
cat :)

>>5178268
cat :)

>>5178365
relatable, am working in AI, it's soulless work, but good money

>>5178512
I wish you the best of luck

>>5178637
cool

>>5178985
you need a calling

>> No.5180325

>>5180321
>cat :)
why did you quote me? at least don't waste people's time.

>> No.5180333

>>5180325
cat :3

>> No.5180362

#1 sounds nice because you get to be a part of something without the responsibility of carrying the entire project. someone writes you a paycheck at regular intervals, you don't have to worry about it bouncing or the place going under (assuming it's a competent organization). since it's a dream job, it should naturally be immune to layoffs. having a few month-long sabbaticals is nice, and traveling could be interesting if an assistant takes care of everything. i'd want a private jet.

#2 is a no all-around for me. i don't like apartments, cities, socialites, none of that.

#3 is what i would have picked before the pandemic, but being locked up made me a little more aware of my psychological needs. i would have told you i would love to be in the middle of nowhere in perfect solitude, but now i think i would miss grocery shopping and driving through somewhere for food. i need an option to leave every once and awhile. i also don't want to be chopping wood to prepare for fall and winter. the best part about this option is that you only see people when you want, which makes it the most appealing. but it also is the one that resembles my life the most right now, and a change would be nice.

i will pick #1. i work for a film studio and they put me in the same league as the director, producers, actors, etc., so i get all the benefits like a personal cook, an assistant, access to catering tables, my own trailer, etc. if films don't have these things, then because it's a dream job, they do now.

so we spend some of the year traveling to different locations, but from my point of view, i'm magically being teleported. it's not like i have to drive the car or captain the plane. i just enter the vehicle, get out of my briefcase, and start working. after a few hours, i'm somewhere else. the private jet lands right next to a limousine. all connections are instantaneous. then when the film is released, we all return to our homes to rest before beginning a new project

>> No.5180727

#3 would be my pick. Maybe more time away from home, plus kids and family, and a decent church community. A simple house with room for a studio and enough space for kids not to tear each other apart sounds like paradise. Every big city I've lived in feels lifeless and sterile.

>> No.5180762

>anons dream, do concept art.
>reality, drawing coom to make meets end
Kek

>> No.5182028

my dreams are met because I adapt them to what I have. I have a supporting fiancee and a home and bed. Where I work is employee owned so I'm good in the long run whenever that may be and my co-workers are sweet. I draw what I love. I have no aspirations to become great. I just wanna draw for those I love and in turn make them immortal. That's all I have and need. Good luck to everyone.

>> No.5182036

>>5178182
I just want to make it.

>> No.5182059

Pyw fggt

>> No.5182152

>>5180362
this is exactly how I know #3 is likely for me. because apparently I've been living under lockdown conditions my entire adult life and normal people seem to find it restrictive

>> No.5183127

>>5178182
I already know my path.
I work in surgery (currently a surgical tech, but I plan to move up the ladder) and do art on my free time.
I'm not trying to sell my art as a service. Commission seeking would be a waste of time for me.
I really want to publish comics, animations, interactive novels, and hopefully games someday.
I'm not in a rush though, I'm still young. I really want to perfect my skills before I jump into compiling big works.

>> No.5183135
File: 3.25 MB, 1512x1926, 206.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5178182
I've got a house close to the post office that's 70% a studio and I make art, eat crappy food, drink coffee, and smoke cigarettes outside my house while I sit around and either make more art or play video games.

>> No.5183150

>>5178182
I would like to do illustrations for a living,and even doing a comic ot some toys designs.

Or just having the time to practice while having enough money to survive.Even if that means working at a part time job that I hate.

>> No.5183209

Im living the dream, get paid highly to do nothing. Go home everytime no staying late to impress your shitty boss. I worked 0 overtime last year. I go home and do whatever the fuck I want draw, coom, vidya, you name it.

I listened to mom and she was right, work a job you can tolerate and to do the things you want. Glad Im not a starving artist. That is a shitty dream to have.

>> No.5183249

>>5183209
No no our dream is to be a fabulously wealthy artist who also barely has to work and has global renown just for existing.

>> No.5184044

>>5183135

BEGONE

>> No.5184739
File: 188 KB, 540x1036, Untitled46_20201231154700.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5178182
Id love to live in a rural area and work from home with my gf. Maybe we make sales online and make most of our money through there that way we wont have to worry about driving to and frow very often except to mail any sort of physical commission. That would be the life! What about you op? Did you say your dream in the thread some where?

>> No.5184795

>be a starving artist
>has big sad
>start to not give a fuck about anything
Happy boy now. Only happiness.

>> No.5184831

>>5178182
i don't know what exactly i want to do for a job, but i just want to have one
living in the city alone or with my gf with some kind of job, doing art on the side as i always have
i'm a simple man with simple dreams

>> No.5184884
File: 192 KB, 1200x1200, 1584881019723.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5178182
>i wanna live in a little apartment sourrounded with nature where i create little slice of life mood pieces with a dash of spook and melancholy that i upload to patreon
>patreon income is loish tier and enables me to invest and live comfortably
>end

>> No.5184894
File: 452 KB, 960x725, 1612516524742.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Be able to get good enough to draw what I want and actually like my own work instead of hating it
>Be able to earn enough money by drawing what I like to live a simple life
That's all I want in life really

>> No.5184922

I wanna be an indie illustrator. I find shitty jobs like retail, cashier, and starbucks employee good. I genuinely don't like high paying jobs since once you got everything in your life, it's literally pointless to live. Cool I might get cancer and not be able to pay hospital bills but I'll fucking die anyway either by Alzheimers or very weak immune system at old age. Nothing really matters like, legit. Just do what you want, and don't let others pressure you.

>> No.5184999

>>5183209
M-may I ask what your job is, anon?

>> No.5185013

>>5183249
I met many people whose idea of making money with art was to barely make ends meet so they could commit full time.
So far I haven't seen one person in my direct acquaintances who was able to do it without drawing porn. Literally only the porn ones managed to get through. It's so fucking depressing because some of these good people were doing things that were of relative broad appeal and they were also very skilled and committed, with a lot of energy going into their craft, they posted a lot on social media, etc. But they didn't draw porn or not enough fanart or no fanart of the "right" things, they didn't suck up to the right people but tried to make genuine friends instead even within a professional context, they didn't use social media in the typical trendhopper attention whore way, so they ended up with nothing or almost nothing.
And what's funny is that if any of them dared complain here or anywhere, even providing proof of what they did to achieve it, people would say they're soulless cash-hungry kikes who are only driven by money instead of passion. All the while any random porn peddler makes decent money easy. I know nobody's entitled to anything, people like sex etc. etc. I know, I also want to say that people are fucking shit and I hope they get assfucked sideways by the very shit they've sown.

>> No.5185020
File: 51 KB, 256x256, 2891A5BC-EBE0-4925-AAC2-ABF98F7164D8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5184999
bin man

>> No.5185289
File: 88 KB, 662x846, 1610292134801.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5178182
work in animation industry / freelance work way up to a cozy income with some monney for investing
live in small apartment in a city so no need for car just bike.
Day will consist of making autistic YouTube videos -> game -> Draw for work -> Lift -> Draw for fun -> make a nice meal -> sleep

>> No.5185297
File: 33 KB, 276x233, 1577921779326.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5185289
Why did you post a naked man with your post, anon?

>> No.5185305
File: 92 KB, 600x600, e3bd31b8f3387ecc6a6d1fc6fcff079e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mecha engineer but since mechs don't exist currently and I'm on the fence about trying military work I'm gonna "settle" for robotic systems engineer. Tbh I'm lucky to be in the robotics program I'm in tho
I want a cozy house in a forest with a bunch of secret doors for various rooms and a huge secret underground bunker/research facility
Alternatively I would like to have a lot of money and a wife I love so I can be comfy and make games for fun. Still want a cozy house tho

>> No.5185337

>>5185297
it’s a selfie

>> No.5185831

I would love to have my own art studio where I can create ceramic pieces and give classes to children and adults. I think a place close to the coast and semi cold weather like the UK would be ideal.