[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 75 KB, 482x427, d90.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5142479 No.5142479 [Reply] [Original]

> tfw already failed my new year's resolution of making a drawing per day
I feel like my biggest issue is that I can never decide what to draw. The act of trying to figure out what to draw, and find reference for it, is more stressful than actually drawing it, which is more relaxing. How do you guys get around this issue? is there some website that posts daily drawing prompts or something? How do I practice drawing without the stress of having to decide what to draw?

>> No.5142486

>>5142479
Pick a random word and do something with it. Here you go: Steep.

>> No.5142491

>>5142479
a good teacher knows the kind of tests their students needs at the time
you're self taught, you just didn't know what was the right test you needed right now

>> No.5142498

I go to /d/ draw request threads!

>> No.5142508

>>5142479
I draw grass and go from there.

>> No.5142509

>>5142486
Ok anon, I will give it a try.
>>5142491
> a good teacher
Where can you even find a good teacher as an adult? I'm 22 and I feel like I missed my chance at learning to draw. Every art school near me is only for kids. I spent the last 4 years going to college for CS learning to code, and I'm glad to have that skill, but I feel like I missed my one chance in life to be taught art.
>>5142498
I will check it out

>> No.5142530

This is what separates you from an actual artist. Artists get into this field because they started with subjects they really like not because they draw for the sake of it. I got into art because I wanted to draw sexy clouds and huge atmospheric landscapes. It fuels creativity and the only thing that stops you from that point is to draw. So no it is not a meme to just draw. And people who get offended by that are those with zero fucking influence. They want everything fed to them.

>> No.5142534

>>5142530
> Artists get into this field because they started with subjects they really like not because they draw for the sake of it.
The problem for me is that I want to be able to draw vidya concept art from imagination, but I'm nowhere near good enough to draw without reference. So I'm just drawing random stuff from reference to try to get good enough to draw from imagination one day.

>> No.5142535
File: 263 KB, 540x529, The excuse of an average NGMI.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5142509
>I'm 22 and I feel like I missed my chance at learning to draw.
There are 90 year old great grandmothers who are
just picking up painting and progressing well. Stop using age as an excuse.
Your biggest problem seems to be a lack of direction. If you have anything that's bothering you about your art, figure out what it is and how to fix it as a quick start for a drawing. If you don't want to do that, draw whatever's in front of you as a way to bypass the block. Make a plan for what you want to work on and stick to it. It'll take time and some adjustment, but the problem will gradually go away.

>> No.5142539

>>5142535
Would bang the chick

>> No.5142540

>>5142479

While I wasn't dumb enough to unironically make a new years resolution—I've been making an effort to do the same as you more or less

When you don't want to think creatively—do a study, anatomy is the most soothing for me personally

>> No.5142545

>>5142535
see you all in 14 years

>> No.5142547

>>5142540
How do I "do a study"? I know I'm an idiot, but can you actually explain how to do a study on anatomy?

>> No.5142657

>>5142547

Well, how would you typically study for a test? You try to memorize, and *understand* the material truely.

Don't be a reference-monkey just copying whatever you're looking at 1:1, you need to try and actively apply that knowledge to make sure you truly understand it—if not, go back and study what you missed.

A practical e.g in my current case is I'm currently studying the pelvic girdle. After taking note of the structure from several angles, I'd go to nude references and draw a skeleton in their pose blindly, then check my work by looking at actual skeletons

Rinse and repeat for whatever aspect you don't understand yet

Pic related

>> No.5142668
File: 119 KB, 2400x493, 20210118_135451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5142547

>>5142657

Pic didn't post lole

>> No.5142692

>>5142534
>but I'm nowhere near good enough to draw without reference
You have the problem now work on it, and thats hardly a fucking problem. you just want more excuses.

>> No.5142702

>>5142535
NOOOOOOO YOU CANT JUST LEARN THINGS AFTER THE AGE OF 25 WTF NEUROPLASTICITY BROS

>> No.5142705

>>5142657
>Don't be a reference-monkey just copying whatever you're looking at 1:1
That's not even correct usage of a reference, it's just straight up copying.

>> No.5142739

>>5142705

> Okay class, today we'll be studying the human body—but gimme back those textbooks, you better *guess* at the content

Posted pic is first half of the process I just described.

Maybe there's room for drawing a super simplified version first, then refining the form as understanding develops—but other than that, I have no clue what you're getting at because unless you have the reference to compare to at first, you'll be building a foundation on false anatomy

>> No.5142761

>>5142739
>I have no clue what you're getting at
I'm just talking about references in general, like using a reference (image) of XYZ to see their defining features and implementing them in your work instead of just straight up copying it 1:1.

>> No.5142769

>>5142479
>How do you guys get around this issue?
i usually study anatomy when i don't know what to draw. there's always something lacking when it comes to that so might as well.
>is there some website that posts daily drawing prompts or something?
yeah but those are trash man. you'll get a prompt and you won't feel like it.
i'm sure you have some character or story in your head that you want to draw. or maybe you're watching some anime or playing some video games taht makes you inspired and makes you want to draw. get those impulses out on a page.
get a moodboard, start making thumbnails, pick the best ones and detail them until you find The One you enjoy the most and give it your love.
>How do I practice drawing without the stress of having to decide what to draw?
pick something and stick to that decision. your indecisiveness is killing you
once it's over, then comes the joy of finding what you can improve upon.
it won't be bliss the whole way through, but it shouldn't stress you out this much.
don't beat yourself up about breaking that new year's resolution. it's fine if you just missed a couple of days or weeks, just get back to it. you'll thank yourself for it and you'll eventually forget about the fact that your streak got broken.
it's not the end of the world and you don't need to be perfect, just keep going at it.
>>5142509
you don't need a teacher anon. you just need to learn to make decisions. there's no such thing as being too old or missing your chance to learn. especially when there are so many resources online.
post here, get critiques, get back to drawings
>>5142534
concept artists don't draw from imagination. they get multiple, MULTIPLE references to fuel their concepts and go through dozens of ideas in order to find the right fit for the vidya.
i know it sounds romantic to be able to shit out things from imagination but we're not kim jung gi.

>> No.5142779

>>5142761

Then, as I described it being a two-part process: consider the first half as being the equivalent to reading the textbook. Looking at the direct reference material to take mental note, and obviously it can't be wrong, so its guaranteed to be the correct foundation to build that understanding on.

With the second half equating to actually taking the notes in your own words, to make sure you actually understood it. To draw the girdle in place of where it would be on actual models without the reference/aid.

If ^ is what is what I've already covered, then what is the *better* way to start the memorization process of something you have no familiarity whatsoever with?

>> No.5143883

>>5142479
They say January is the free trial month. February and onward is when your resolutions are supposed to be committed. Fail quickly this month so you can see what works and what is a retarded investment so you have the rest of the year to get good and don't feel bad about it.

>> No.5144937
File: 349 KB, 1245x708, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5142479
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DRAW

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>> No.5145265

>>5142535
oh wow, the improvement gives e hope

>> No.5145307

>>5142479
no shit, you don't get around it because that is the real job of being an artist. This is like a writer thinking they have some unique problem because they know English but they have to think about what to write. You're essentially asking how you can get good at making art without engaging your brain, you cant.

>> No.5145314

>>5142479
I go to /s/ or /gif/
find something I could use as a reference
begin loomis construction manikin thing
add my waifu's features to it
add base/shade/multiply/screen
rinse and repeat

>> No.5145347

>>5142479
don't beat yourself over it... I agree that thinking of what to draw is the hardest part.

Just draw when you feel like it.