[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 141 KB, 1280x720, retard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5112644 No.5112644 [Reply] [Original]

Someone explain what the fuck an eyebrow line is. The eyebrow isn't a straight line. Spoonfeed me on how the eyebrow has any relation to the line besides "it's roughly around that spot do some guess work durr durr" because if it is just guess work then why the fuck do I need the fucking loompiss peepee poopoo method. Literally no one online fucking does the method correctly they draw the fucking eyes on the eyebrow line even proko's loomis head tutorial looks like utter dogshit.

>> No.5112649

>>5112644
it's roughly around that spot
you use it as a reference to place the rest of the features
same way you draw a jaw or ear line
it's pretty obvious not all heads are the same
that's all

>> No.5112657

vilppu’s nma head course goes over it
tl;dr: he basically says lmao loomis and tells you everything about the loomis method is dumb, from the sphere, the eyebrow line, the jaw line connection, etc

>> No.5112664

>>5112644
Unironically why you should avoid construction when you first start out and draw portraits from life (where possible) and from pictures that are well lit. You are your own model and you have a mirror. Do a simple blockout and reference the asaro head to help you look for clues for light and dark planes. You can extract some general idea of proportion and placement from that.

Constructiontards have no idea where anything goes because they haven't actually seen what the head looks like or where the features of the face are supposed to go, so even with construction, their orbitals don't curve correctly and their eyes look like they are sitting on two different depth planes. It's fucking embarrassing. And then they end up resorting to using 3d programs because drawing is too hard, apparently. Scrubs.

>> No.5112676

>>5112664
This, but to clarify, do academic drawing, not lineart. I sort of stumbled into it because I got frustrated with drawing and decided to paint straight up without a sketch, forcing me to work in shapes, and it opened my eyes like nothing else. I think all the construction teachers started with traditional drawing and just completely disregarded how important the basis is because they wanted their “new and improved” method to be better, not just propped up by the old ways

>> No.5112691

>>5112657
I found these videos on Youtube, for anyone else interested I'll post the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7cDY7YDsg&list=PLnbiGn-2ZvVUbLsozn-mdJhopAGuexWoZ&index=3

It isn't vilpu. Where can I find his videos for free?

>> No.5112695

>>5112691
videos thread most likely, should be in one of the mega archives.

>> No.5112922

Loomis must have been huffing some serious crack when he wrote his books.

>> No.5113236

your just draw your eyebrow in the direction of the line, and not to far from it. eye brows have different shapes ya know. also changes with expression

>> No.5113325
File: 64 KB, 800x450, Mens-Eyebrow-Styles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The eyebrow isn't a straight line.
????????

>> No.5113329

>>5112664
How are you supposed to draw from imagination then?

>> No.5113369
File: 109 KB, 1500x1500, C40E4555-5F34-45DA-AAC9-B7542328489B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5113325

>> No.5113383

>>5113369
I don't see any hair

>> No.5113507

>>5113329
As always, you cannot "draw from imagination" what you haven't seen before. If I ask you to draw a kangaroo and you draw me a proko, then you don't know what a kangaroo looks like. You bring in construction and more creative, imaginative drawings when you have drawn the subject enough times to know what it looks like, to know what the major forms are and what to look for to capture the big statement of it. When it comes to heads, there is a lot of subtlety. A decently done portrait can take as long to draw as it takes the entire rest of the body. The facial features that sit on there, all the various contours of muscle, fat and bone need careful observation. Eye placement fucks everyone, even the professionals. Even the old masters. It's not easy. You derive the construction from this. You don't just sheepishly apply construction without looking. That's how you stay in /beg/ mode and end up using construction as another form of symbol drawing, none the wiser.

>> No.5113519

>>5112644
Its complete psuedo science, like how youre supposed to separate the face into thirds starting from the chin to the "hairline".
Even though the hairline is a completely useless landmark as it widely changes from person to person across all ages and gender.
Similarly the "eyebrow line" is poorly defined and changes its location depending on the art instructor. The brow ridge cannot be exprrssed as a single line as its an entire two dimensional plane of the face, so some instructors put the eyebrow line at the bottom of the brow ridge, some put it on the top, others put it anywhere in between.
Head construction is honestly a meme.

>> No.5113825

>>5113519
Retard

>> No.5113835

>>5112644
You're overthinking this.
>>5112657
The Loomis method accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do. It simplifies the head in a way beginners can understand. It isn't meant to be a hyper realistic method for expert renders. It's literally for beginners.

>> No.5113837

>>5113519
you do know average proportions are just an average right? you're supposed to look at the model at look at the proportions of that specific model. browline is just to get a general location then you add the actual brow bones on top

>> No.5113838

All these STEM faggots ITT trying to do art lmao

>> No.5113839

>>5113369
the eyebrow is a muscle retard

>> No.5113938
File: 107 KB, 736x992, 1215f9bb2bfa7c9f77134da042806d30.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5112644
Take the Hampton pill

>> No.5113945

https://discord.gg/3bwdfRk

>> No.5114123

>>5112644
Loomis heads do look like utter dogshit. I never use them, I just roughly sketch the outline of the head and then sketch the features in, adjusting as needed. I would say that the amount of practice required to sketch and draw a nice head in your own style is the same as learning to "construct" it with the Loomis method specifically. Besides, the Loomis method seems to lead nearly everyone astray as the heads always look skewed and lengthened in the sagittal axis (front to back), something that doesn't really happen as much when you just sketch freely in your own style.

In any case, after you've drawn a few hundred or thousand heads, you wouldn't be drawing the stupid eyebrow lines and side circles anyway just to have to erase them.

>> No.5114128
File: 28 KB, 371x480, ca89f7d38708d44e7a1f4091340997d1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5112644
The brow (not eyebrow) line roughly marks the cut off point where the facial mass turns into the cranial mass. The facial bones "hangs" off the cranium. Loomis really missed the mark here, but Bammes drawings explains it better. This stuff makes so much sense if you pick up some sculpting.

>> No.5114133

>>5113369
That’s a skull aka bone dumb ass. When you draw a person you’re drawing the surface not the internals.

Remember that .

>> No.5115159
File: 82 KB, 792x532, loomisballandplane.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One thing I'm struggling with trying to work through the Loomis method is the adding of little extra details that actually give the face shape. For example, when he's constructing the face it's easy enough to follow (taking the cranium/ball and then adding the extra shapes to represent the nose, ears, chin, cheeks/jawline, etc) but in the later steps when he starts to add extra lines and really define the lines to make the face come together, I'm sort of having a hard time deciding where to put those extra cheek lines and such to make it really come together and look like a fully fledged image.

Another example is later in the book when he gets into more complicated versions of the original technique (like the one in OP and in my pic related), again I can follow the construction but things start to get pretty dicey around diagram three when he starts to really flesh out the face and start to give it the contours it needs to look right. By image four I'm pretty much lost. Is this just something that comes with practice?

>> No.5115209

>>5115159
Knowledge of head anatomy helps in knowing why Loomis decided to draw those lines in a particular way.