[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.95 MB, 460x460, 1579826684970.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4827907 No.4827907 [Reply] [Original]

>How do you do it when you suck dick and hate everything you draw?

>Do you shrug it off and just get curious about everything you're learning?

>Is there a moment when you push through and realise that the gains you're making are showing up and now you're loving everything you make?

>do you use "study with me streams or videos?"

I don't know if this is artwork or critique related but i just want some advice.
>also thinking of making a general dedicated to the process of studying art and general studying advice but i dunno if it will boost productivity or help anyone.

>> No.4827923

You accept that it will take you years. Then you realize slowly but surely you learn new things. Each piece you do, every study you do, every figure you draw is improving you. I reccomend you save your art and compare on a month to month basis. You will be amazed.

>> No.4827949

>>4827923

This.
Grind grind grind grind grind grind...........
All day, every day. You grind for few hours a day and you expect to know everything you grinded that day. Jet that new gained knowledge need some time (even few day to few weeks) to settle in your brain.
And one really need to save old sketchbooks and compare to actually see the progress made in few months. If you don't compare, you might not realize the progress and that can make you "depressed"/demotivated.

I am by no means anywhere near the level i want to be. But comparing to what i was able to produce few years ago make me realize i made HUGE progress.

I think i will have one of my sketchbooks always open and near me, just to remind me where i was when i started.

It's sad that people lose motivation when they actually gain some skill after few years of grinding, becausr they forgot how shitty they were when they begun.

Just to clarify... we are not talking about those progresses where people improve 1% in 5 years because their studying is inefficient . We are talking about actual progress.

Take for example Algepfleger or Mindcandyman.
If you followed their progress every day, you didn't notice huge improvement from day to day, like they didn't noticed it.
But if you compare their progress from few months between, you notice HUGE progress.

>> No.4827952

>>4827907
>>How do you do it when you suck dick and hate everything you draw?
I was like that for a long time and quit because it's no fun to draw with that mindset. I got back to it after a year. I still suck but I try to have fun
>>Do you shrug it off and just get curious about everything you're learning?
Yeah pretty much this.
>>Is there a moment when you push through and realise that the gains you're making are showing up and now you're loving everything you make?
I like what I do but I'm not blind it always could be better
>>do you use "study with me streams or videos?"
Rarely. For most of the time it seems like tracing by proxy. But it's just me with it memes burnt into my brain

>> No.4827955
File: 177 KB, 1200x1200, 1593553004834.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I do something else. I always have to enjoy what I'm doing. Fuck it, if I'm not good at it, I'm not doing it.

Nope! I just do what I like. Eventually you'll be good enough at the thing you sucked at.

>Is there a moment when you push through and realise that the gains you're making are showing up and now you're loving everything you make?
Yes, I surprise myself, a lot!

Fuck those.

>> No.4827960

>>4827907
>>How do you do it when you suck dick and hate everything you draw?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJYGFwGhHnA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVY5gla0FNQ

>> No.4827978

I think the best cure for impostor syndrome is to just show it to other artists. It's a far better reflection of your skill rather than yourself.

>> No.4827983

>>4827952

>I was like that for a long time and quit because it's no fun to draw with that mindset. I got back to it after a year. I still suck but I try to have fun

how did you "learn"/force yourself to have fun?
And i totally agree it's almost waste of time if try to improve at drawing but hate to draw.

>> No.4828166

>>4827907
I keep drawing in the hopes that one day what I'm doing will look ok to me.

I am not sure what you are asking here, but I believe that you never know everything. There is always something from you to learn even from people whose work you necessarily aren't the biggest fan of.

I think that things getting easier for me to is a sign that I am making progress, but there are times I have to be careful that I'm not mixing up knowledge for ignorance so I continue to study. I am not sure about loving everything I do though. There is always room for improvement.

Yes. Even I'm not a big fan of the artists' work I still think that there is something that can be learned or gained from studying them, to an extent.

>> No.4828175

>>4827907
Be into art at such a young age that you don't care if you're good or bad you just draw draw draw draw A LOT. That's how most good artists start. It's way harder to get started as an adult who's filled with self-doubt

>> No.4828288

https://youtu.be/KxGPe1jD-qY skip to 18:20 if you dont want to watch the whole thing.

>> No.4831457

I had same problem and found a solution.
It is timed practice.

For example, 30 second figure drawing. Without experience results will be appalling. But you will not get discouraged simply because you won't have time for it. Then next reference will be in front of you and you will scramble to draw it. In 15 minutes you will draw 30 people. More than you have, probably, drawn in a last month. Afterwards, you will not judge yourself harshly because 30 seconds is an absurdly short time. You will feel good about practising and will do it again. Gradually, you will develop a new separate mindset for practice, one where product is not the artwork, but your skill.

TL;DR 30 second figure is the gateway drug to art practice.

>> No.4831476

>>4827907
hopefully as you get older you get more patient and immediate gains are less vital to you as you recognise repetition will get you there eventually.

>> No.4831527

>>4827907
what is that, link to one?

>> No.4831753

>>4831457
sounds good, will try this soon

>>4831527
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJP7c8xt1n4

>> No.4831760

>>4827907
complain to friends, and trust that you'll get better

yea the curiosity helps, learning new stuff has its fun

for a day or two and then your eyes catch up and then you hate everything you draw again

no idea what those are i put podcasts or long youtube videos you dont really need to look at on for background noise

>> No.4831769

>>4831753
so its boyfriend ASMR?

>> No.4831773

>>4831753
HE HOT

>> No.4831787

>>4827907

you are dopamine addicted, practice meditation and self control with technology

see above

yes, when you actually apply learned theory and can see it in your art it causes a great high

no

>also thinking of making a general dedicated to the process of studying art and general studying advice but i dunno if it will boost productivity or help anyone.
you sound like a /beg/ newfag, lurk a year before making a general>

>> No.4831887

>>4827983
desu im not sure
It might be that i'm a psychiatric fag
During that year i wasnt drawing i was taking SSRIs and meeting a therapist ona weekly basis

>> No.4831943

>>4831787
I have lurked a year already and came to the conclusion that the board can be very unproductive at times (twitter drama threads, etc). I thought that if i made a study general then people could answer their questions about studying and various methods used/books, etc for beginners or whatever skill level.
Now that i think about it that sounds completely retarted and useless. I really like what you said though about dopamine addiction, meditation and self control. I'm already practicing meditation again, and limiting time spend on my computer. Thanks anon