[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 963 KB, 1237x769, 1592724103345 - left eye anatomy part 1 of 33.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4827658 No.4827658 [Reply] [Original]

I don't want to read a 700 page book or watch a 33 part video course on how to draw. I just want someone to explain the basics in a simple, quick, easy to understand way. Is this really impossible?

>> No.4827662

>I don't want to eat at a buffet, there's too much food

>> No.4827683

>>4827658
What video series is this OP?

>> No.4827687

>>4827658
Link to video

>> No.4827689

>>4827658
Then go to those quick, simplified guides first and draw. Then when you're looking for something more meaty you can move on to the part 33 video or 700 page books

>> No.4827753
File: 412 KB, 2560x1440, IMG_20200805_103802.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here you go, you big baby

>> No.4827764
File: 12 KB, 210x240, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4827753
I actually don't think you should start with simple forms at first. Start with 2d observational Betty-Edwards-esque style drawing first. Beginners won't know right from left if starting with forms and playing around with them

>> No.4827768

>>4827753
hampton pilled

>> No.4827797

just draw then

>> No.4827809

>>4827658
Like what are you even asking for. Think about it for a second. You want permission to start? There's no "basic guide" that is quick and easy to understand, because what you need to do is really simple. Pick up a pencil, and draw.
That's how anybody who ever got good started out. That's how cave people playing in red ochre got good. They didn't read books or watch videos, not at first. A lot of artists started out with cartoons. You can't really draw a cartoon "wrong," so maybe start there.
There will never be a magic point where it snaps from being impossible to being manageable. It happens gradually by doing, not by reading theory, so you just have to shut out the overanalyzing, over-criticizing part of your brain and do something. Anything. And only then theorize about how to fix it up better.

>> No.4827814

>>4827683
>>4827687
https://youtube.com/watch?v=6CrwbU23G28

>> No.4827819

>>4827814
Thank you senpai

>> No.4827827

>>4827814
This is advanced shit. Do not start with this. I'm two+ years into taking this seriously, and I'm just now scratching the surface of the individual eye forms. You don't start with intensive anatomy study, you start by drawing a really shitty eye and then making it a little better a day at a time. What you're doing is trying to fight the final boss at level 1.

>> No.4827869

>>4827827

90% of /ic should read this

>> No.4827876

>>4827658
draw two big circles and two smaller circles inside of those.
now you got eyes.

draw a line thats slighty curved.
now you got a mouth

>> No.4827897

>>4827827
What do you recommend to start with?

>> No.4827920

>>4827897
Doesn't matter that much imo, but just make sure not to punch frustratingly above your level. Instead of studying every minute fat sac and crease of the eye, think of it as a simplified mass or even 2d shape. Look at how your favorite artist draws eyes, try stylizing an eye your own way, trace a real eye and make observations, find teachers who focus on the simple mass of the eye. Lots of ways to learn.
Personally I didn't start reading books very much until I ran up against a wall in my creative work that I wasn't skilled enough to pass. Then I'd study for a few days or a week, sometimes longer. Then back to creative work until the suck became too annoying to deal with. The breaks from creative work grow longer the more you learn and the more confident you are in being able to handle challenges.
So you're learning the material, but you're learning how to learn too. It's the second one that people fuck up and waste years spinning their wheels.

>> No.4827924

these ARE the basics

>> No.4827946

>>4827920
Thank you anon. I have issues with the likeness of roundness of the eye.Any advice for that?Idk how to capture that nice pleasing roundness the eye got, yet i seen it in pro's work

>> No.4827968 [DELETED] 

>>4827753
>Perspective
Basado

>> No.4827973
File: 80 KB, 800x600, FZ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4827753
>>4827753
>Perspective
Basado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25x7MuSrQGU
>>4827764
KEK

>> No.4828029

>>4827753
Anything like this but with rendering?

>> No.4828035
File: 776 KB, 900x960, basketball eyes piccolo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4827946
Eyes are hard to get right, faces are hard. Also ellipses are a bitch to draw freehand even with some experience under your belt. You won't nail it like a pro overnight but you can begin to get there by thinking of the form. Think of the lines on a basketball, how they wrap around it. But if you hold one of the lines at eye level horizontally, it just looks straight. That's perspective. Lines that follow form can be observed everywhere, look for them. The seams on jeans, tears flowing down a cheek, a necktie draped over a fat belly. It's such a simple, fundamental principle of drawing yet just...getting it down intuitively is what takes all the time and effort.

>> No.4828243

>>4827658
> I want the prize but don't wanna work for it

Anon...

>> No.4828308

>>4827897
>>4827920

The same artist literally has a playlist of drawing videos for beginner artists that start with the basics such as forms, foreshortening, perspective, value/light etc.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMXbAPr21di-Ox-dmDwL2riWedei1dn9S

>> No.4828487
File: 164 KB, 1200x1107, Gabriel's Catgirl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I just want someone to explain the basics in a simple, quick, easy to understand way. Is this really impossible?
coming right up.
This is a culmination of thoughts I had for a while, I wanted to try and write them down. I am never rewriting this again unless I find a big error. feel free to pasta.
>>4827658
>what is drawing?
Part 1) mathematics:
Drawing is the representation of 3d space on a 2d plane
As objects get farther away from the receptor (pupil in humans, ssd or film in camera) they take up less and less of the field of view, thus appearing to be smaller.
>Experiment 1:
>Take two sheets of printer paper, fold them in quarters
>find a mirror and stand sideways to it
>Have one piece held out in your hand as far extended as your arm would go
>bend the arm of the other piece until it looks like the length of the far away piece is half the one in the bent arm
>Look in the mirror, you should see the bent arm holding the paper exactly halfway between your face and the piece on the extended arm.
!!!This is happening on each dimension! The paper would be a quarter of the AREA( it has both HEIGHT and LENGTH)!!!
We can now make a prediction based on these findings
If an object is 100% closer to us it would be 100% bigger
This is direct relationship y=x
Our moon is and our sun look about the same to us, if the relationship is direct, their distance from the earth and their length ( we will use the radius) in relation to one another would be equal
150000000(sun's distance)/384,400(moon's distance)=390.218522
695,842(sun's radius)/1,737(moon's radius)= 400.599885
You can stop right here, imagine the 50%X 50%Y as the vanishing point in the center of your view and the y=X as your vanishing line, but there is a better way to think of it.
So we know a line in space shrinks in a direct relationship. Therefore, is we took an imaginary line in X distance, and made duplicates, further and further away, no matter where we started the line, as long as it
(1/4)

>> No.4828489
File: 224 KB, 1920x1080, Ea-vYr2XQAIb2kn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4828487
only moved away from us, and not vertically or horizontally, it will eventually start to slowly center.
This is the origin point. It is directly in the center of your vision. All distances, will recede into it.
Something 20 meters to the side 1 meter away will look half that length to the side once in is 2 meters away because of the property we just discussed.
Thus, there is an origin point at the exact center of your sight
(note, we have two eyes and lenses have curvature. Some of this math gets a little bendy up close, this is called bent perspective or curved perspective, you don't have to think about it when starting off, just keep it in mind).
Now, this whole getting smaller as things become further away, means that if you have a box big enough, its lines will stop looking parallel to each other and recede appropriately.
This is where the idea of perspective comes from, drawing lines with consideration to how they will recede into space.
Part 2): Physics
We use many mediums to represent the 3d world on a 2d sheet of paper, the most common and fast method is using lines
A line is used as a point of contrast, most poularly to show where one object starts an the other begins, or when one object overlaps the other.
This popular method, however, isn't foolproof. our world is made of atoms overlapping each other all the time, if you'd want to execute the method above, you will have to just draw the whole paper black.
YOU MUST TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE CONTRAST THAT A LINE PROVIDES FIRST AND FOREMOST!
This is also why most artists don't draw just 1 straight line for the mouth gap, it's broken up and often has variation, or why you don't draw individual hairs.
This is also why you can use lines as shading through crosshatching or as depth definition through variation or as speed indicators.
(2/4)

>> No.4828491
File: 3.13 MB, 2550x3507, Traditional cut and paste, high res.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4828489
>Shading
Best to think about it as lighting. Figure out where the light came from, where it hits, where it bounces (reflects) and where it would hit your eye to wrap your head around shadows and light. Remember that light can either get absorbed or reflected, and that the texture of an object also affects the reflection (think how wool only gives off a matte light while a mirror or metal can reflect so well that you can see the exact image of the light that bounced off it.
>Color
Color is how we perceive a segment of the electromagnetic spectrum that makes up natural light.
An object usually doesn't absorb every electromagnetic frequency of the light, which means it reflects whatever color is left. If it absorbs every single color besides green it will look green.
All the colors combined make white and if something absorbs all the colors it is shades of gray, or black in the complete absence of light such as a black hole.
Some colors do not exist as part of the spectrum or as traditional colors. Pink is white minus green, there is a certain shade of blue that occurs because of a pattern that bends light a certain way. https://www.kqed.org/science/24552/what-gives-the-morpho-butterfly-its-magnificent-blue

Part 3) training:
Regardless of what you choose to do make sure some of your training tackles basic 3d shapes. This is isolated training just like what you do in the gym. It works on subtlety in placing 3d objects in space right in proportionate to each other. It's raw and good for any stage artist.
Training in art means looking at your work, analyzing if it looks right, having the galls to take an eraser and erase something if it's not to your liking, if it's not something you'll be proud of later. This is what a professional does.
(3/4)

>> No.4828497
File: 1.04 MB, 2806x1969, EWNxrZYXsAEM8QI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4828491
You should choose to train on a subject matter that you like. If you want to draw moe you don't have to to draw buildings or statues.
As long as you have the responsibility of going out of your comfort zone and learning from different sources once in a while besides what you want to draw you won't stagnate.
Anatomy and learning the structure of everything is supplementary, you can do it later down the line.
The times you didn't feel like drawing will feel like a waste later down the line.
Don't forget to prostrate yourself, learn from other artists, learn from anyone you can. By accepting that you have much to learn you open yourself up to improving, and by looking at other's art you see, years, decades, centuries, millennia of collaborative problem solving that you can build on to improve.

Part 4) Cognition
Look at your hands
do you see your hands?
You aren't, you are looking at them, but you are not seeing much.
You aren't seeing them, because you don't know what you are looking at.
Artists starting out often think they have ADD, memory problems, or imagination problems.
The truth is, their cognition is not developed yet in said direction, therefore they can look all they want, but when they close their eyes they won't be able to fill in the details, fill in the gaps.
Specifically in art it is also referred to as "vision" or "sight". Essentially, it's like a language you don't yet know how to interpret. It just sounds like a jumbled mess.
With very few exceptions, you are not too stupid to draw, you likely do not have a memory, imagination, or attention problems. As you draw more, your sight will develop, and as it develops your drawings will get better and your sight will get better. Essentially you are a baby learning how to walk. Bare with it. Actually being able to perceive our visual world is breathtaking.
(4/4)

>> No.4828542

I highly recommend the army drawing guide.
It's like 50 pages and it includes a lot basic terms and pitfalls to avoid.

>> No.4828553

>>4828497
pretty based advice anon. Love your style and sketches

>> No.4828555

>>4828553
Thank you very much!

>> No.4828573

>>4827658
"just draw bruh"
there it is, just 3 words

>> No.4828576

>>4827658
fucking retard OP there was just a thread about this. Basically made a duplicate.

>> No.4828643

>>4827658
>Is this really impossible?
Yes.

>> No.4828667
File: 90 KB, 1594x1251, um.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4827876
did i do good anon?

>> No.4828679

>>4828542
>army drawing guide

Link?

>> No.4828685

>>4828487
>>4828489
>>4828491
>>4828497
holy wall of text batman

can you condense this into a couple of sentences?

>> No.4828726

>>4828685
This is approximately 30 tweets worth of text or three to five pages from a book. Please try and look into it. I attempted to make it concise and to the point.
I can say the pointers, but it's important to understand the reason behind them.
TL;DR
>Drawing is the representation of 3d space on a 2d plane
>Distances become smaller the further away they are. Everything recedes towards the vanishing point.
>There are many approaches to drawing, one of them is using lines
>lines create a point of contrast that separates objects, creates occlusion, shadows etc
>lines don't exist in a vacuum, be weary.
>don't think about shading, think about lighting, and lights properties to reflect or be absorbed
>Colors make up the visible light, and we see the colors that get reflected back to us.
>It's encouraged that you keep practicing simple 3d shapes regularly, and all through your art journey.
>Draw what you love, it will encourage you to keep drawing
>Prostrate yourself, be willing to learn from anyone and always seek knowledge
>don't be afraid of paper, draw consciously, and erase what doesn't go right
>your cognitive ability to use your sight will improve as you draw
>when you start out you will have a lot of things missing that you will slowly build up.

>> No.4829307
File: 401 KB, 556x561, dllhost_2020-08-29_12-36-38.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4827753
uh oh

>> No.4829313

>>4827658
YOU GET A PENCIL
YOU DRAW AN EGG
YOU ATTACH EGG TO BEAN
DRAW 4 PEA PODS FROM BEAN
DO THIS 1000 TIMES OVER
CONGRAT YOU WIN DRAW GAME

>> No.4829343

>>4828726
Why are you bothering to try and teach retards incapable of paying attention? If they don’t have the patience to read for two minutes do you think they’ll have any chance of applying it whatsoever?

>> No.4829345

>>4829307
FEEL THE FORM

>> No.4829823
File: 88 KB, 450x300, 3290383_1372955009356.83res_450_300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4829343
The sad truth about talking online is that it's mostly meaningless. Unless you have some authority and some way of spreading the information, it will often fall on sad ears.
The biggest benefit of online discussion besides human interaction is writing practice.
Writing in a discussion setting helps you improve articulation. Writing in a discussion settings help you figure out how you like conversing. You have a chance to get positive or negative emotional feedback for if you enjoy how you write and behave.
I almost exclusively write a response if it's something that want to try and put into words, or if it's to thank someone for their kindness.
"What is the most root basis of art explained scientifically" and "why do we talk online" are two subjects that I pounder a lot. Trying to articulate them into proper language is a wise use of time. On the other hand repeating over and over the same thing, hoping one day it will help someone, isn't very productive, nor does it feel very good to me.
Articulation is important. It tests for any gaps in your logic.
Not dissimilar to drawing we often have incomplete thoughts, and don't notice everything about them until we lay them on paper and figure out the missing pieces.
The difference between talking online and trying to talk as well as you can is the difference between slouching and walking in proper form with weights. You learn and grow.

"Life is study" -Kintao Oe