[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 378 KB, 1280x720, monkey-Jesus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4808094 No.4808094 [Reply] [Original]

Is it illegal for me to purchase a painting, and then retouch parts of it, or change parts of it, and resell it at a higher price?

I purchased a painting that was by an unknown artist, the person selling it wasn't the original artist, and I want to resell it for a profit, but the face is atrocious and there's some damage and chips to the paint.

What do you guys think? Reddit threw a hissy fit and started yelling about copyrights and me having no morals.

>> No.4808105

>>4808094
depends on where you plan to sell it

if you can get away with it, why the fuck not. good luck trying to sell it though.

if ledditors that copy pictures 1:1 can get away with their shit and have it upboated to the top of the page and get clout for it, what's the difference?

>> No.4808107

I don't think it's illegal. The way you worded the question on reddit was misleading though. I think what you're trying to do here is fine, as long as you label it as 'retouched'

>> No.4808125
File: 31 KB, 570x479, face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4808107
this is the face on the painting. It's kind of bad. You can tell it was done in a time when Picasso and Cubism was very popular because he purposefully painted the face ugly, but the rest is rather traditionally painted, if not unfinished.

>> No.4808132

>>4808125
especially that line of shadow that cuts her face right in half, this guy was really trying to Picasso it up with this painting.

>> No.4808143

>>4808125
Watch me completely Soul vs Soulless it