[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 23 KB, 192x255, gfx_book_Coope.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4772021 No.4772021 [Reply] [Original]

What makes it obvious when an anime/manga illustration was created by a westerner?
I'd like to ignore coloring and shading for now.

My art teacher (western herself) said it's all in the lineart. I don't quite understand though.
Is the feature placement better? Does asian manga/anime make the volume of a body look more feasible?
I don't get it.

What are your thoughts?

>> No.4772033
File: 117 KB, 500x576, 09E6003E-9882-4DCE-9AE8-73AB73870A72.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772021
She’s right. The lineart is very different, a lot of the lineart you see in anime is thin and curved. It tends to have a lot more flow as well, as most of the images communicate with line. Line weight is also kept at minimum.
It’s a lot more flatter of an artsyle as well, because it is line and shape oriented. If you know the shapes that a lot of mangakas use to design anime, you’ll become better at it. This kind of design language is learned intuitively, but you can probably learn by copying.

>> No.4772037

>>4772033
>Line weight is also kept at minimum.
Elaborate

>> No.4772067
File: 1.79 MB, 960x1480, https___blogs-images.forbes.com_laurenorsini_files_2018_08_SPICE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You have to study other artists lineart, seeing which parts they choose to accentuate. Remembering the drawing should appeal to the viewer, not look like some anatomy study with bug eyes slapped on.
Frankly the one thing for me is the eyes, it's the first thing I look at. They'll make eyes that look like something from an egoraptor newgrounds animation. The most common eye type I see is the one on the blonde character in pic related. A simple line with the big singular eyelash. Can be fixed if they just study what makes eyes appealing from other artists. The referencing=cheating mentality will hold them back.

>> No.4772131
File: 3.32 MB, 1440x1080, 1589888788081.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772021
Let me count the ways: we have this nasty of outing ourself with poor interpretations of 10years and older art styles, bold ass line weight, lazy ass approach to detailed in clothes and hair, solid grey in the place of screentones , too many details in face features, overly angular artstyle, fat characters, black characters, black ugly characters, ulgy fat black characters, did i mention adding black characters? Because I swear too many of you niggas have convinced yourself that your enthic cast of characters have a place in anime because you watched a handful of series that had a ambiguously brown character or two, but let me remind you that the reason Cannon Buster was immediately written off as not anime and has been completely forgotten is because not even the blackest of weebs even give a fuck about your black fucking characters. Not to mention the biggest give away, out tendancy to reinvent the wheel to appease us and our taste. If you want honestly want to draw like a nip then learn what nips actually like, then commit to 98% of it outherwise it will always look like 'not anime.'

>> No.4772149

>>4772131
>Not to mention the biggest give away, out tendancy to reinvent the wheel to appease us and our taste.
I guess it’s kinda off topic. But seriously interested in what you mean by this.
Is it about art or story or both?

>> No.4772181
File: 539 KB, 1200x1744, NN 36936.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772021
>What makes it obvious when an anime/manga illustration was created by a westerner?
Nothing. You can't tell good manga artists apart by their racial traits.
Amateurs will sometimes find out that manga artist is westerner and then be able to tell his art style apart from everything else. This doesn't mean he was recognized because he was westerner.

Op pic is example of an art style (that wasn't attractive and as such was an object of mockery)

"Line art" is so broad that you could as well say drawing skill and leave it at that

>> No.4772196
File: 222 KB, 700x800, EedQMefWkAAL1VG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772149
It's definitely the anime style deviation as it filters people with such efficiency people rarely stick around to ever read their stories (which are ironically enough are almost always faithful rip off of past series). Too many western are just indoctrinated with needing their own style that it never looks authentic regardless of how skills they are, pic related is a great example is this.

>> No.4772218

>>4772021
Cultural differences is a huge factor too. Japanese/ asian in general value lines while western valued 3 dimention

>> No.4772246

>>4772196
>anime style deviation as it filters people
Douman Seiman and Hayashida are great examples why this is bullshit.
>needing their own style
Start drawing and after enough time you'll end up with your own style too... Even in sub genre like shoujo

>>4772218
Good artists value both.
Also I'm having problem identifying what this "line art" is.

>> No.4772372
File: 3.71 MB, 2800x2100, 1586199571690.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772021
Nothing, OP is just a colossal faggot who posted the worst image he could find rather than acknowledging some of the better artists, 100% of these thread are all the same.

For anime you can look at mehdiaouichaoui or Bahi Jd. And for Manga you can look at artists like Tony Valente who's art looks just the same
as any other Shonen manga art style.

>> No.4772396

>>4772218
The fuck are you saying

>> No.4772571
File: 456 KB, 1024x1332, yOy5nMd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772246
>>4772246
>Douman Seiman and Hayashida are great examples why this is bullshit.
Exceptions don't erase rules, they merely illustrate the level of quality and scrutiny you have to past to escape breaking some rules. Both of you examples still look like anime at glance, even dorohedoro girl whose art are became softer, rounder, easier to read as the manga went on and her face were always very simple, and under detail.
>Start drawing and after enough time you'll end up with your own style too... Even in sub genre like shoujo
These subcategories still follow a basis rules that makes you pick up on it being Shoujo manga: big eyes, long limbs, tones of flowers and fancy clothes, very delicate and feminine linework and subjects, etc. The problem that western anime artist tend to change change too many aspects of the umbrella it looks like and were immation of the real thing. If you still doubt me just look up Adam Warren (pic relate), who actually did a reboot to dirty pair (anime in the 80s) and who style of gives him away instantly.

>> No.4772580

>>4772571
Yea no shit western artists will have western elements, an American man will most likely enjoy an Americanised Chinese meal more than the authentic thing and add whatever American condiments they want and not care about authenticity, doesn't mean he can't cook an authentic Chinese meal if he really wanted to just because he's American

>> No.4772640

>>4772580
> an American man will most likely enjoy an Americanised Chinese meal more than the authentic thing
Nigga wat? I’m American, and real Chinese food is way better. So is real anime. Not that cheap Netflix fast food garbage.

But I can’t cook real Chinese food because I havent eaten it 3 times a day for 30 years, not to mention that I don’t have a carcinogenic wok, and the grit, grease, and grime of a street cart to cook my dish

>> No.4772669

>>4772033
>Line weight is also kept at minimum.
lol no.
that very much depends on the artist. i'd even argue that flexible pens are more popular.

>> No.4772675

>>4772033
HAHAHAH what the fuck is up with their faces

>> No.4772706

>>4772067
>bean mouths
We can't escape them.

>> No.4772723
File: 1.14 MB, 1557x2047, Ed2DzvZUcAAFHOT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772580
I never said that the were incapable of doing it I said that too many deviations from the norm is was outs them, fool. Western love the fuck the face, use west techniques when inking (bold/ uniform lined, add too many solid black shadows, no screentones etc.), then foolishly think that if they slap big eyes on a juxtaposition of more west then east drawing it will be preceived as anime. It's just not and instead of trying to argue me down over it just compared this image with the last on i posted >>4772571 and compare and contrast to why one looks like an abortion, and why the other is undoubtedly anime despite having created liberties from the norm. (Hint it's mostly in the face)

>> No.4772758
File: 582 KB, 2550x3300, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772021
Overly large watermark, being bad.
Danbooru has border patrol so the odds of you finding someone who's both bad and Japanese are low.

>> No.4772765
File: 360 KB, 800x1120, IMG_20200805_201750_831.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772758

>> No.4772912

>>4772372
The exceptions don’t make the rule retard.

>> No.4772916

>>4772372
none of these are anime

>> No.4772997

>>4772131
maybe you just hate black people

>> No.4773185
File: 44 KB, 680x510, 1589882677328.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772997
The funny thing about that is that I'm actually black, and is speaking directly from life experience. Its been 15years since the western push into anime and you can still count on on hand the number of accepted anime inspired products there are. The sooner that blacks (brown people as well) learn that they're wasting there time with placting to an audience that is neither there, nor interested beyond tokenism,the faster they can save themselves from heatache, do it right, and maximum their chances of actually appeasing and even capturing the hearts of the Japanese audience.

>> No.4773323

>>4773185
Not that guy.
You speak very broadly and I’m interested in the smaller details. Are your gripes with just art or also the story and character design(visual and written)?
I like comparing different stories and characters and trying to dissect what works and doesn’t. Especially comparing western manga hobbyists and eastern professional work. And I suppose I’m talking about manga and/or webcomics specifically here, since there’s more work to compare to.

Just interested in what you think works and what doesn’t.

>> No.4773373
File: 134 KB, 850x601, sample-368121fe92eb082aaac14605e5176121.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772021
Hey since this is a west vs east thread, Are there anymore examples of japanese artists who could easily been confused as being westerners? The Gurihiru team comes to mind.

>> No.4773431

>>4772372
>Tony Valente
>google it
>His art have a hint of western artists
>looks just the same as any other shonen manga art
Nah, your observation skill is bad and you should try to improve yourself.

>> No.4773440
File: 201 KB, 1574x1203, 1587955377473.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4773323
>interested in the smaller details. Are your gripes with just art or also the story and character design(visual and written)?
I like comparing different stories and characters and trying to dissect what works and doesn’t. Especially comparing western manga hobbyists and eastern professional work. And I suppose I’m talking about manga and/or webcomics specifically here, since there’s more work to compare to.
Anon you are looking for answers question that are ultimately moot because artist are being filtered so fast people generally don't even bother with reading a few page because the art, and format is viewed as unappealing and dropped. Hell, it wasn't even 10 year ago that people bemoaned korean manwha for reading left to right and have large amounts of negative space, and you can find large clusters of weebs sleeping the media took and being gook shit. Here's the thing about that gook shit, Korean and Chinese do have the potential to tell good stories, and have gotten so effective are drawing in appealing enough anime inspired artstyles that are now having success in Japan, and are making anime that only the most stubborn of weebs will not read nor watch. Not mention that koreans and Chinese have completely took over the webcomic sphere and lock westerners out almost completely. I'm ragging on westerns so brutally because there inability to conform and appeal to what anime fans actually is costing them, and the only people that seem to picked up on this and is taking it seriously are the french. If you want to be taken seriously an anime artist then you better learn how to read the room and get a real good idea of exactly who your target demographic is , and NOT WHO YOU WANT IT TO BE, or you story won't have a snowballs chance in hell. It's as simple as that.

>> No.4773481

>>4773440
>non you are looking for answers question that are ultimately moot because artist are being filtered so fast people generally don't even bother with reading a few page because the art, and format is viewed as unappealing and dropped.
Oh, no. I understand completely. I have made it a habit to read stories despite the wonky art, seeing if there’s a gem hidden underneath. But, that’s not something the usual readership base would want to waste their time on. At the end of the day if you want to go pro, you have to consider it a product and try to reach a wider audience. And yes, the French do seem to be hitting those notes.
I’m not sure if my work fits those notes, but I’m trying.

>> No.4773575

>>4772131
>>4773185
I could tell that you were black because not even whites hate blacks as much as blacks, and also type like an ESL.

>> No.4773595

>>4772021
Usually the western look comes from misunderstanding or misinterpreting the substance.
This may sound mean, but that usually happens from a lack of skill.
Seldom, but it does happen, an artist deliberately chooses to go with using very western choices. It works both ways, since some works that done this in the east could easily be confused as western.
Line styles has nothing to do with the anime look, Here is a griddman illustration book made by trigger staff, these guys all work under 1 roof, pretty much every one of them has his own way of doing lines.
https://e-hentai.org/g/1365502/76b077b762/