[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 337 KB, 2048x1100, 13653272_10157194555305247_5059143984242035645_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4626732 No.4626732 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, let's talk about art school experiences, I want to hear other experiences. Here is mine:
>be me
>art school for illustration, 3 year course
>starts very good studying anatomy and linework, coronavirus comes, course goes online
>2,3 groups form within the class, everyone talks to their group and not so much the others
>toxicity and competitively tears everyone apart there is no more sense of team or mutual support
>finishing first year hoping the second doesn't feel this shitty, end of story, you?

art pic not me

>> No.4627515

>>4626732
Going to animation school next year, give me advice

>> No.4628292

I hear the same exact story you had from a bunch of people who went to art schools. I just want to have a community man, some friends to draw with. Any tips for preventing OP's story from happening?

>> No.4628310

>>4628292
Be active in trying to get people together, even if it's over video. Try to have fun, maybe do a drink and draw, but keep it casual (/ic/-style criticism is rarely a good idea in the real world).
But also if people don't want it then don't force it. Because that could make more damage than good.

>> No.4628342

>>4628292
yeah don't go to art school.

>> No.4628344

>>4627515
Draw a shit load of gestures

>> No.4628351

>FZD
>dem gains
>after school mass depression
>Job but still depression
>No Job. Depression
>Art as hobby :')
>Depression
>RIP

>> No.4628356

Every artist going to art school is wanting to be the successful artist. Now lets redefine this. Every narcissist going to art shool is wanting to be the successful narcissist. Let's go further. Every mediocre artist who is narcissistic going to art school is wanting to be the successful, courageous, victimized, genius artist who is compassionate and confident.

When you break it down like this you know that every single person in your school went there because they can't think outside the box. They are mediocre, often shallow. Often incompetent, usually going off of mommy and daddys money. Successful artists have come from art schools, no doubt. They are few and seldom inbetween, and often used nepotism or their jewish blood to get into the industry. The point here is that to be an artist you do not need contemporary environments. You do not need to be sallied with loans in the hundreds of thousands. You do not need to be surrounded by like-minded peers, when they are incredibly naive and shallow themselves. You need intelligence and dedication. The intelligence to outbest your competitors (that is what you are to them), and the dedication to be willing to die for your beliefs through action, even if failure is inevitable.

I've written it so poorly that people will be turned off by this logic, but there are artists, and then there are legends. If you know you're mediocre step aside, you've already failed yourself.

>> No.4628368
File: 739 KB, 1652x1100, 1520031181196.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4628356

>> No.4628372

>>4628368
Yes. That is me. Literally. Thank you for proving my point.

>> No.4629895
File: 22 KB, 633x758, 1501463196790.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I did a game art degree, only learned basic 3d modelling and animation, pretty much everyone graduated with only that knowledge because the lecturers stated specifically to not seek online courses or tutorials because "you pay so much for uni which guarantee top end education and you cant trust outsiders".

Everyone graduated with prospects of only prop modelling little did they know those mass prop modelling jobs can and will be done by exports for pennies. Even worse the uni lecturers stated that we had to buy and use legal copies of like 10 software's and if we were found out we would be banned so people spent a lot of money on artist tools for trad, digital and 3d.

The course was also packed with a lot of useless shit so i had atleast 12 final deadlines per semester with most of those deadlines having an alpha and beta deadlines along with it so you were stuck creating a portfolio that everyone else was also assigned to do and you could not have any time doing your own shit with your own knowledge or look to improve on it or pick up something else like vfx, rigging or coding to make your stuff infinitely stronger and unique.

I couldnt and still haven't been able to get a proper job for about 2 years, the first year i applied for 3d, games, creative jobs and didnt even get replies, the second year i had to give up on this whole facade and applied to other works which didnt pay much or at all. I've been applying for an art teaching course now because i'm currently struggling with job and money. Hopefully i get accepted because i'm still waiting to get an ok since the stuff is supposed to start in like 3 months.

>> No.4629903

I refuse to go to art school. I have been, and will continue to be, teaching myself

>> No.4629906
File: 28 KB, 280x198, love.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why are ateliers so expensive bros?

Florence Academy of Arts, Barcelona Academy of Arts, Grand Central Atelier, Angels Academy, and so on, cost an arm and a leg per semester. What's going on?

Did I just land into a bubble of artists who exclusively studied in the most expensive ones? Are there more reasonable places to study realist painting?

>> No.4629940

>>4628356
People usually go to art classes because they just want to learn fundamentals, and learn fast. Also it's still more cheap than personal teacher. Very few people can selfaducate, because they just don't see their own mistakes and become stuck on beg level for years. Those forever begs, we all have seen them here. Help from more expirienced artist does matter, it will really help to improve. As for others - who the fuck cares. I don't know, maybe OP a teen or very young, and so his classmates so they all competitive and cocky. In my class no one cares about others works, only about their own. Max you can hear from someone is "nice work", or "do you have 6b pencil?." No one cares, everyone just doing their best and learning.

>> No.4629954

>>4629906
Because they usually provide all supplies and also they have to pay the people that would be teaching you as well as pay the rent.

If you can't afford it try to get a grant

>> No.4629961

>>4629954
>Because they usually provide all supplies
Do they? I was pretty sure you had to get your oils, charcoals, canvases, pencils and so by yourself.

>> No.4629963

>>4629895
>I did a game art degree
one of the actual dumbest people on /ic/ lmao

>> No.4629968

>>4629895
Did you go to AI? If so you know that’s not a real art school right? Kek

>> No.4629969

>>4629961
Mine did

>> No.4629973

>>4629969
Was it good? Could you say around how much per semester?

>> No.4629975

>>4629963
>>4629968
I got a ba. I'm using it to go into education job now.

>> No.4630010

>>4629973
$20k/year and yes, very good.

>> No.4630037

>>4630010
>$20k/year
Holy fuck
Not even Florence's that high
Guess I should grind hard my bargue plates and life portraits to aim at a grant/scolarship

>> No.4630323

>>4626732
I studied Graphic Design for 3 years. There was healthy competition among students and I liked some of the teachers. The problem was I didn't think it was getting me any further skill-wise, in fact I had been stagnating for the whole time, so after I got my Bachelor's I just went straight to work while most of my peers stayed for the Master's course. I did the right thing.