[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 379 KB, 1616x748, ok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4618947 No.4618947 [Reply] [Original]

One of the most important thing for artists to remember starting out is to make small goals for themselves. That doesn't mean "make a small video game" or "make a small comic book" that means when you are starting out you need to master the absolute basics of drawing before you can even begin to dream bigger.

Something that really frustrates me is seeing beginners copying diagrams of the human body in the name of studying anatomy, as they see it. That's all well and good, but the problem is, if you aren't drawing the anatomy exactly as you are seeing it in the reference you aren't actually studying it yet. If your drawing of a bone is wrong, you may have studied the bone, but you drew it wrong, and now reinforced your drawing errors as your own personal truth. This is how you end up having a "style" and nothing else, because your understanding of what you've studied is based off something you did wrong.

The best thing you can do when you are starting out is to draw from life. If you can look at a line in real life, and replicate that line on the page exactly, that's a small success. Even if it's by accident. Art is almost 100% measuring and replicating an image, even if it's in your head. So even if 99% of your drawing from life is wrong, if you get one line correct, you're closer to learning how to draw and paint properly.

>> No.4619012

bump

>> No.4619175
File: 365 KB, 1991x1165, D5F42715-8131-4C6F-97F3-128FC1D70652.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4618947
Based OP, even if he is a phaggot.

>> No.4619402

>>4618947
Thanks op, I needed to open my eyes.