[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 40 KB, 378x396, 1546884932132.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4618507 No.4618507 [Reply] [Original]

Tell me about art school.

>> No.4618578

Nothing an art school can teach you that /beg/ /video/ and /artbook/ can't

>> No.4618602

I'm in an animation course. You really dont get anything you cant learn from books/videos here. The main thing I get is good criticism, studio space, models to draw from and peers/networking. Also at the start I lacked discipline and focus but the weekly deadlines helped push through that.
The main downside to art school is that the curriculum and assignments arent always stuff you want to be working on since they aim for a broad "learn everything a bit" instead of "learn the thing you want a career at a lot".
I have to make up for that by doing my own work at home in addition to assignments, which is very tiring and easy to just not do.
I can see people coming out of 4 years at this course and not being employable because they didnt practice outside of the school curriculum.

>> No.4618620

Also I work for a uni and one of my co-worker art hoes told me she was a painting major
I asked to see and they were straight up awful

>> No.4618640
File: 14 KB, 750x400, C7675DFA-C51E-4730-9465-C23AAFA5E8E5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4618620
>hoe
>she
>awful
What did you expect, kek

>> No.4618669

>>4618507
A giant waste of time.

>> No.4618679

You walk in there thinking you’re the shit, you get BTFO by a usually female photocopier, by the time you all are working with a medium you’re actually good at life happens and you drop out, the end

>> No.4618713

Let's be clear I don't care about my school itself or the degree but I do love the students and professors. I wanted friends who were serious about art and serious about having a career after school. A lot of people are mostly talk in my experience and I surrounded myself with people who were putting in the work.

So I have a great group of friends, we all hangout drawing together, share events and resources it's great.

Also my professors are actually skilled and know what they're talking about so I've been improving and learning things even /ic/ could not teach me.

>> No.4618721

>>4618507
mediocre,will derstroy your creativity if you let it. but it good support when the other options is aimless self teaching.