[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 430 KB, 600x1000, 1589693338078.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4583049 No.4583049 [Reply] [Original]

This might be a dumb question but can anyone describe to me the pre-drawing process, before you even touch the pencil? Before you start you must have some idea of what you are going to draw, right? Or be able to formulate it in your mind somehow? This is what I am struggling with the most. Can anyone explain how it is done?

>> No.4583085

>>4583049
I just draw shit what im interested in

>> No.4583095

>>4583049
you get some ideas in your mind then do thumbnails
If you're a NPC who can't see things in your mind then idk how do you even know what to draw but it's probably related to going through an insane amount of refs and mashing them together

>> No.4583098

>>4583049
Before I draw and paint, Ill think about what I want to make for a few minutes beforehand and make a variety of sketches in my sketchbook. If I intend on making a finished piece, Ill make several thumbnails in my sketchbook before i touch the canvas to figure out what works and what doesnt.

>> No.4583101

>>4583049
Is this another of of those aphantasia threads? >>4580550
>>/ic/thread/S4538467

>> No.4583106
File: 878 KB, 1220x862, 1582298341681.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sometimes the idea comes more clearly in your head and you can just transcribe that into a sketch.
And sometimes you have the idea "rationalized" in your mind, but no specific concept of what it should look like.

In all cases, you should get your hands on paper and pencil ASAP as possible and test the ideas with very simple thumbnails.
It prevents the idea from slipping away from your mind as you have something to anchor your imagination on.
It prevents the idea that was perfect in your head to disappoint you once you've already spent 3 hours polishing it, because in 20 seconds of doodling you can already tell if it's working or not.
It also allows for new ideas to be tested and you can find improvements to what you previously had in mind.

Pic related is the first and last step of these drawings I've made. Red one is more representative of how they usually look like.

>>4583101
Now that you've brought it up, possibly.

>> No.4583303

>>4583095
>If you're a NPC who can't see things in your mind then idk how do you even know what to draw but it's probably related to going through an insane amount of refs and mashing them together
I generally start by describing it in language.
Like, I want to draw something illustrating pirates, so I'm going to have some pirates in the picture. Don't want it to be too complicated, so maybe three of them. I want them to be doing some pirate stuff, so maybe playing dice on a ship's deck.
Cool. Now I need to figure out where they are going to fit in the image. Look up some pictures of pirate ships, get an idea of what the space on the deck is like. Set up the canvas and start composing. Focus points according to the rule of thirds, one on the hands / dice at the bottom, one on a pirate face at the top. Put a few lines on the image to define the position of limbs, move them around until they are roughly in proportion. Once that is figured out, reference the ship and draw in the lines of the environment. Shift the figures to fit better. Clutter the rest of the space with crates and barrels and shit.
Then start working out the details of the characters. Get some references for costume, use memorised anatomy to draw the bodies, push stuff around on the canvas as I go. Draw the fold lines of the clothing. Construct everything in geometric blocks. Now I have the surfaces defined.
Work out where the light and shadows should go by just looking at my drawing. Now that there are lines in front of me, I can visualise them. Block them in.
Back to references for colour and textures. Fill them in. Keep looking at the image, looking for flaws. When I find them, use cut and paste or warp to move elements around slightly, or just paint over until it looks OK.

>> No.4583308

>>4583095
People with aphantasia are NPCs now? You sound like an idiot.

>> No.4583339

>>4583308
They got nothing going on upstairs, npc seems fitting.

>> No.4583370

>>4583049
I always have to tell my dick to shut up, so I don't just draw coomer stuff again. After that it works.

>> No.4583376

>>4583339
That doesn’t mean they’re not thinking at all, just that they’re thinking in a different way. There are plenty of people who think in words, not pictures.

>> No.4583438

>>4583376
How can I train myself to think in pictures? I all I have is my own voice in my head, existing in a void of no images at all.

>> No.4583533

>>4583049
I learn to draw in order to embody my ideas or fantasies, and not fantasize in order to have something to draw. What the fuck are you talking about? If you have no idea what to draw, why fucking learn to draw?

>> No.4583539

>>4583308
>You sound like an idiot
He says, as if the NPC meme itself isnt stupid

That being said you are subhuman.

>> No.4585542

>>4583049
>This might be a dumb question but can anyone describe to me the pre-drawing process
Sure for me I feel this rush of energy flowing into my body similar to the quickening except it's just raw unadulterated talent flowing into me. My third eye opens up and I can see, hear and feel the embodiment of all the old masters guiding me. As I pick up the pencil I feel the thin calcified layer around my pineal glad shatter, my eyes roll back into my head and I start to draw.

>>4583376
A real person is able to think in words and pictures you dumb fucking NPC. Your analogy is like saying someone with an IQ of 50 is thinking in a "different way" when they're actually just mentally retarded. Don't try to elevate yourself to the level of real people.

>> No.4585545

>>4585542
ah yes, personhood, the novel term open for arbitrary interpretation

>> No.4585546
File: 6 KB, 245x292, 1583501495679.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4583308
yes

>> No.4585556

>>4583095
imagine being an NPC who can't imagine how mechanical parts interact with each other and rotate them with ease
honestly it's worth not being able to imagine textures, there are ways to work around it when drawing

>> No.4585719

Relevant but not aphantasia, how does one maintain a state of Inspiration? I, for example, can think in imagery just fine. However, I'm not like these guys who want to go pro; I need to feel inspired to start working through a piece.

>> No.4585766

>>4585719
try meditate or something

>> No.4587719

>>4583106
nice stuff, whats your art account

>> No.4588412
File: 819 KB, 1200x1600, 1574026294312.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4587719
Thanks, anon.
I post on https://twitter.com/spartorpedo

>>4585542
>pineal gland
That's even further from the wrist than shoulders, 100% GMI.

>>4585719
To me, inspiration always comes suddenly, in an "ah-ha moment", along with a fair amount of motivation. I oftentimes lose 99% of that initial drive after the sketch/composition/color study is done, because I can already see the finished picture in my head and polishing it for another 99 days will not add any life to my brain apple, it will only benefit the audience.

So, first of all, you have to trigger more ah-ha moments that make you want to see the idea on paper.
That comes from learning new things and forming connections in your brain, be it watching documentaries, getting excited for new Marvel product, drawing something new and noticing new details, or even (my case) learning a language and finding new words/concepts that make your idea machine machinate.

The best way to stay constantly inspired to me is to keep exploring new ideas on the side, while also doing the brainless polishing on main pieces. Do a reward system if you need. Polished your mighty turd for at least 2 hours today? Good! Now you're allowed to doodle whatever new ideas you've been cooking.

One can also have "too much inspiration", in the form of wanting to do 300 different projects at once instead of funneling that drive efficiently into one or two.
My biggest sin? Every new character I make becomes part of the family. I start thinking about it, trying to come up with names, worlds, stories... it weighs me down pretty bad. So remember to treat your doodles like disposable garbage and be pickier than me on which ones will be developed. And DON'T be afraid to abandon a stinker halfways; just make sure it's not a habit.

Really ran my mouth here, hopefully it greases someone's gears.

tl;dr: Learn non-art things. Don't skip the grunt work. Have a sketchbook meant not for skill, but testing ideas, however rough they may come out.

>> No.4588488
File: 46 KB, 900x900, Image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>it's another aphantasia thread

I'm getting tired of explaining this shit.

>> No.4588523

>>4583049
>receive email with an idea
>agree on a price
>receive half of it
>gather references
>draw thumbnails
>send thumbnails to client and find out which to continue working on

>masturbate
>think of lewd things
>pick one lewd thing
>gather references
>draw thumbnails
>pick one to continue on

>stare at a wall until hallucinations take over
>pick one vision
>gather references
>draw thumbnails
>pick one to continue on

>read drawthreads on 4chan
>pick an interesting request
>gather references
>draw thumbnails
>pick one to continue on

>> No.4590098

>>4588523
>read drawthreads on 4chan
>pick an interesting request
I do this too and I never deliver, I keep them all to myself because they suck.

>> No.4590124

>>4583049
Most of the time i start by looking at coomer pictures, then some idea comes to my mind and then i start drawing.

>> No.4590666

>>4585556
How mechanical parts interact is way too easy but imagining how your finished drawing will look like from the get go, assuming it's not something mundane, is a lot harder.