[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 36 KB, 655x527, 02f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4506986 No.4506986 [Reply] [Original]

How do I draw cute girls WITHOUT making anime drawings? I like cute girls and want to draw them, but I don't really care for anime and don't want a reputation as a weeb, or be part of that "community". Disney style is barf. Western tradition is impressive, but doesn't have much in the way of cute girls, mostly "beautiful" girls, in that germanic man-jaw conception of beauty.

Should I invent my own style and visual language to convey cuteness? How would one go about doing that?
Or should I just bite the bullet and go with anime? I feel like anime style doesn't have enough expressive power to convey more subtle cuteness characteristics, mostly the cute traits that are also "not conventionally attractive".
Any advice?

>> No.4506996

Draw from life and copy the manner of/directly copy artists you enjoy. Don’t invent your own visual language, learn what exists and expand upon it. Speaking as someone who is seven years into getting good.

>> No.4507006

Just draw

>> No.4507009

>>4506996
That's the thing, I don't enjoy any artists who do "cute" stuff, yet I enjoy cuteness.
I think the symbolic conception of cuteness that was invented by disney and became inspiration for both modern western styles and anime is reductive and strips out many subtleties from the way cuteness manifests in life.

>> No.4507052

I don't understand what you're asking. Are you saying you want to do realistic or cartoony? If you're looking at all cartoon illustration as "disney" or "anime" you've already failed. There's lots of cartoon styles outside of Disney and generic anime that can satisfy you, I've found.

>> No.4507071

>>4507052
Post pics anon

>> No.4507073

>>4506986
draw a realistic face
simplify it
simplify it more
done

>Should I invent my own style and visual language to convey cutenes

yes while u simplify u add ur own mix inside
what areas u simplify more/less or even make more detailed is what will make ur style

>> No.4507086

>>4507052
Well, I'd say "stylization" more than cartooning.
Cartooning is a specific form of stylization. There most be more to it than that.

>> No.4507115

>>4506986
Your style can be anything. Just incorporate the key features of cuteness into your art: large eyes that are low down on the face, a soft rounded face shape, and a large head relative to body size.