[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 194 KB, 1172x578, 1576606035305.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4505782 No.4505782[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Let's settle the crab theory once and for all. This thought experiment will need honest replies in order to separate crab mentality from gmi mentality.

Close your eyes. Deep breathe in and out, now visualize an apple. Now describe it. What color is the apple? How detailed is the apple? Is the apple shaded? Do you see white behind it or black behind it? Please also post the following information,:
>are you a crab?
>what is your estimated iq range?
>are you /beg/, ngmi, /int/, /adv/?

>> No.4505801

Stupid thread but I’ll play along.
I see an apple, I can rotate said apple, move the camera (my view point) I can change said apple color, and I can imagine a light source on top to the side. Its like im using 3d model software like blender.
What now?

>> No.4505804

>>4505801
You didn't answer the last three questions, silly. I will also go.
I can see the apple, I can visualize it in a detailed likeness, I can split and part the apple any way I want. There is white or black behind it, really any color I wish. I can change the lighting through any position.
>no
>130-140s
>/beg/ just started

>> No.4505812

>>4505804
Uhh I haven’t had an iq test at all and I’m just grinding and doing studies so i guess intermediate? Also I can do the same to what you just imagined. Heck just reading it my imagination just did it for me.

>> No.4505823

>>4505812
That's good! Now are you a crab?

>> No.4505828

>>4505823
Hard question, you could say some of my post are me crabbing but others trying to help out some anon with motivation to draw.

>> No.4505835

>>4505828
Okay thank you for your honest answers.
>visibility of apple in high fidelity achieved
>half crab half man
>iq ???
>/int/

>> No.4505857

>>4505782
You don't know anything about data mining or statistics, do you? It will be really hard to get anything useful out of data you're gathering.

But just for fun:
I see my acrylic study of an apple. It appears red only because of saturated, green grass around it; when I was mixing paints it turned out to be more orange than red. I see texture on the stem, orange spots on the skin, slightly yellowish sharp-edged highlight, soft change from light side to the dark side and how dark side (significantly cooler) was lightened up with reflected, blueish-green light.

>are you a crab?
I don't think so and I rarely get called one. Some people say I'm an asshole.
120-130 while doing online tests.
/int/ I believe. Anon described my skills as:
>Able to consistently produce appealing illustrations that demonstrate strong fundamentals, breadth of knowlege, and ability to complete pieces to a good level of finish. Is weighed down by weaknesses in a few areas.
I was also able to find someone interested in getting an YCH commission with a single character on it for 40USD despite having literally no followers.

>> No.4505866

>>4505857
Oh, and I struggle with rotating or moving that apple in my imagination - I see it as an 2d painting, exactly as I've studied it.

>> No.4505876

>>4505857
Thank you for the well rounded submission. I agree that it will be a bit hard to squeeze data out of what will be given but I am planning on doing some math on the numbers and creating graphs to disperse to /ic/ after enough data has been submitted. I've been following /ic/'s crab mentality for a while now and although I am from /3/ my background is more logical and analytical. Thank you for the clear cut response.
>visibility of apple in high fidelity (stylized)
>not a crab
>120-130
>/int/

>> No.4505890

>>4505876
You're welcome <3
Just please don't forget to post any conclusions you'll find.

>> No.4505892

>>4505890
I will make informative, detailed charts and graphs upon data completion. Appreciated!

>> No.4505917

>>4505782
There is a very good chance that most differences in visualization are just people's self-reported interpretations of similar things. If everyone *senses* an apple in a vague, imaginative kind of way, some people will report they can "see" it and some people will claim they can't. But unless you're (literally) mentally disabled, everyone can *visualize* an apple with relevant details. You wouldn't be able to recognize it from an orange otherwise.

>But what if they just remember a list of relevant details, but can't visualize those details
Same exact thing. That's just technique. When they talk about "visual learning" vs "verbal learning" it's referring to personal habit of how you interpret information. You could learn to do one or the other. No one is born incapable of imagining an apple unless, again, they're literally disabled.

That said,
Background is a black void. Apple appears as a generic 3D apple shape that can be rotated accurately in space, but has only basic information. Color is indistinct. I can "sense" that there's more information available, but I don't see it until I focus in. If I start to focus, information builds up and remains even after I move to focus on a new area. Eventually I end up with a photorealistic red apple with lighting, texture, the whole shebang, but only after *looking* for those details.
>Not a crab. Always try to be encouraging.
>grad degree in physics, 153 IQ officially tested because school thought I was autistic at 13 lel
>high-int or low-adv

>> No.4505928

>>4505917
Thank you for the fair criticism, though there is the notion of aphantasia, which is partially why I decided to do this experiment. Part of this has to do with the neural plasticity of the brain and the neural communication in its networks. Thank you for your thoughts!
>visibility of apple in high fidelity
>not a crab
>140-150s
>/adv/

>> No.4505945

>>4505782
i love datamining threads :)

>red apple, detailed enough to see slight vertical lines and speckles when i focus on them, has a little stem and leaf, shaded and lit but not sure how accurate the values are, black background
>i hope not
>120s but i'm also retarded
>beg

>> No.4505952

>>4505945
I appreciate your humoring of me but it's for a good cause!
>visibility of apple in high fidelity
>not a crab
>120-130s
>/beg/

>> No.4505955

>>4505928
I'll be interested to see where you go with this, amigo. I personally wouldn't put much stock in anyone who says they "can't" visualize an apple, but the difference between seeing a stylized 2d apple like the guy above, or a 3d one, could be really interesting.

I read something nifty awhile back that suggested the chinese/korean method of learning art often turns out to be brute-force symbol drawing memorization instead of 3d construction. In the sense that they may never actually know how to imagine an object from any angle, but have such a deep mental library of visual references that they can just fake it.

>> No.4505963

>>4505782
It's blurry, but I can imagine the colors, details if I focus really hard on specifics like the different colors of the skin or the texture itself. It's hanging in a grey void. Rotating isn't hard either. What I struggle with is accurate lighting, despite being able to imagine a light source and some degree of light and shadow.

Not a crab, see no point in crabbing others since it doesn't really change the fact that I still suck at drawing. No clue on IQ, never had it measured, likely average. As for skill level, /beg/.

>> No.4505966

>>4505955
Post cut off
>they can just fake it....
I'd be very curious to see if the people who self-report as seeing an image of an apple instead of the 3d form are more inclined to learn via symbol drawing, or maybe if they tend to favor stylized work over really technical pieces.

And I don't mean that to put anybody down for symbol drawing, either. Plenty of artists who know the technical side completely miss on visual appeal, and some people can turn out beautiful work without ever understanding how cylinders and perspective work.

>> No.4505971

>>4505955
Very intriguing, cultures certainly could play a serious part in visualization! I am interested as well, and want to try and get a huge datasize for comparisons. The results from these four questions alone will be able to give us a large backlog of information to utilize and dissect.

>> No.4505978

>>4505963
Interesting analysis of your visibility, anon. I appreciate you taking the time to detail all the components in an orderly fashion.
>visibility of apple in medium fidelity
>not a crab
>100-110s
>/beg/

>> No.4506026

>>4505978
I was working within your parameters. However, I can provide more information if it helps.

For one, I actually find it easier in regards of fidelity if I don't close my eyes. Colors and details are sharper and more vivid, but it's harder to maintain a stable image. Motion is also doable. Multiple objects interacting as well. However, at that point the required amount of mental focus goes up and it becomes harder to maintain detail. The apple doesn't necessarily need to be in a void either, I can imagine it hanging off of a branch of an apple tree full of apples. There's a garden, or a wheat field around, it's either nighttime or it's a bright sunny autumn day. Other senses are easy to imitate as well. But I don't have extremely sharp fidelity, hence the incapability to imitate accurate lighting or extremely complex objects.

The annoying thing is that despite being able to visualize entire scenes with enough detail and some basic imitation of motion, my visualization shuts down any time I decide to draw. I guess my brain is too focused on drawing that visualising is harder.

Not sure if you need all this info, but I may as well write it all down for you in case you find it of interest.

>> No.4506077

>>4506026
It's all immensely informative! I'd say all information is needed and based on your detailed account I think I'll revise future OPs to include a more decisive question list. Much appreciated.

>> No.4506098

>>4506077
Glad to be of help and good luck to you. I'll keep an eye out for your future threads, it should be interesting to see as to what kind of results you extrapolate out of the collected data.

>> No.4506171

>>4505782
no apple
not a crab
120-130
/beg/

>> No.4506188

>>4506171
Thank you for the short but precise reply, anon.
>no visibility of apple
>not a crab
>120-130s
>/beg/

>> No.4506347

>>4505782

>the aple is solid, with parts of it missing/hazy unless i concentrate directly on them. has color, light source and texture, can be rotated. will start morphing into a different apple if i don't try really hard.
It's like i could do anything but percieve the whole visible apple at the same time. This is also a problem I have with drawing: I lose myself in details easily and have to resort to frequent squinting as I render. Looking at the whole drawing is for some reason a really hard task.

>hope not
>120-125
>mid beg

>> No.4506391

Huh. Looks like crabs don't post in those kinds of threads.

>> No.4506406
File: 65 KB, 662x712, Quit+calling+wojak+the+feels+guy+_26611e364b3c0f44c0e5f792e6ad75a7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4505782
>close my eyes
>try to imagine an apple
>see a green pepper

>> No.4506431
File: 190 KB, 640x640, GIMP_Pepper.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4506406
gimpbro detected

>> No.4506434

>>4505782
>are you a crab?
No, sometimes I even offer useful advice
/beg/

>> No.4506449

>everyone ITT have an IQ higher than 120
The Dunning-Kruger is strong in here

>> No.4506478

>>4506449
post your IQ and maybe we can bring the average back down to reasonable levels :^)

>> No.4506507

>>4506478
With that grammar your IQ is clearly below mine :^)

>> No.4506510

>>4505782
>yes
>75-95
>beg

>> No.4506527

>>4506507
Weakest snapback I've read in a long time. You let me down, my dude...

>> No.4506536

>>4506510
more like
>yes
>200
>pro

>> No.4506559

>>4505782
>What color is the apple?
Red with yellow on top for some reason
Is the apple shaded? Do you see white behind it or black behind it
Like a real apple I guess, white background

>are you a crab?
No
Unironically I'd say around 80, the test I passed online was 93 on the second attempt(the first was 76)
Ngmi beg

>> No.4506563

i can see apple and choose whatever color i want,place it in whatever env wuth whatever lighning i want,can see it almost as clear as real.
1. No crab
2,last time i did the test it was around 130
3. Closer to int,started a year ago<doing some comissions,draw mostly realistic illustrations form imagination

>> No.4506573

>>4505782
I can't visualize, I have brain damage
>Sometimes
>Idk like 2 points over average I'm not much smarter than the avg person desu
>NGMI forever in /int/ limbo because I'm lazy

>> No.4506576

>>4506527
Sounds like I hit a nerve, didn't I? ;)

>> No.4506580

Can someone explain me the apple meme?

>> No.4506597

>>4506580
apple shills

>> No.4508681

Bump.
It looks OP like you got all the numbers you'll gonna get. Post your results.

>> No.4508698

>>4506576
Not him, but it sounds like you're retarded, not like you hit a nerve.

>> No.4510849

OP is a faggot.

>> No.4510854

>>4505782
Red with a little bit of yellow
>How detailed is the apple?
I guess fairly detailed, hard to say with nothing to compare it to
> Is the apple shaded?
yes
>Do you see white behind it or black behind it?
black

>are you a crab?
No, I always try to make people feel good when giving critique.
never got tested but I got a masters in pure math so I'm guessing 110-130
Been a ngmi /beg/ for 6 years now..

>> No.4511054

>>4505782
I can feel the curvature and waxy texture, as my finger moves from the bottom to the stem. The stem feels elastic, so I draw it back, letting it bounce. The apple smells really nice and reminds me of better times and apple pies. My mouth waters a bit and I take a bite. The apple is more mushy than crunchy and has a very sweet flavor to it.

I'd say yellowish with a destinct shine to it and a creamy white inside, but honestly I can't "see" anything. Just experience. Feeling the form. More a haptic type I guess, which is odd considering I have perfect eyesight.

>Is the apple shaded? Do you see white behind it or black behind it?
No. I could imagine the concept of the color and place a light source, but again, I can't literally see it. Behind it would be nothing, not even black.

>are you a crab?
I don't drag others down, if that's the question.

115-120

Since when are /int/ and /adv/ a thing? I'd say I'm competent in what I do, but far from being a professional.

>> No.4511058

>>4505835
>half crab half man
>iq ???
this is absurd

>> No.4511081
File: 265 KB, 800x800, Tiefling bounty hunter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4505782

I can't seem to visualize, It's black with just a hint of a shape that seem to look more like a red pepper than a appel.

>are you a crab?
I don't believe so.

Never took a test.

See pic

>> No.4511086

>>4505782
>are you a crab?
No.
125-130
I'm not very sure how to judge for myself. I could have a different opinion compared to someone else about my work.. Maybe /int/ if I had to give an answer?

>> No.4511096

The amount of retards on this site that think those gimmicky "figure out the pattern" tests are legitimate iq tests (or even a way to get a rough estimation), is genuinely disappointing

>> No.4511122

I can visualise and rotate the apple in my mind. I have some limited ability to change the FOV/perspective on it (like dolly zoom effect) but not from every angle. I can rotate the shadow independently or my viewing angle but not at the same time. The apple itself is a royal gala apple so some sort of striped pattern. My visualisation improves dramatically if I can hold the object and play around with it. There is not background behind the apple; its not white or black, its just nothing. Similar to if you close your eyes in the dark you can see some sort of noise colour like TV static but not as clear.
>are you a crab?
no, I don't plan to give any advice until I can demonstrate with a redline
>iq range?
I think last time I took a test (wasn't extensive) it was 120.
>draw level
/beg/, started in January. Biggest thing I worked on was visualisation between then and now. When I first started out I couldn't rotate certain objects to certain angles (like I couldn't imagine the bottom of a shoe) but I pretty much practice observation and visualisation every minute of the day so it has improved somewhat. I usually draw from life (before corona I carried a book with me everywhere to draw)

>> No.4511228

I see a red apple. I was initially viewing it from a significant distance, but I can zoom in to see/create any level of detail I desire. The details are probably fairly realistic because I remember what apples look like fairly well, but this is not guaranteed to be the case with objects that I am less familiar with. I initially see the apple in a black void, but I quickly choose to place it in on top of a wooden table, and to create a room around it such that the apple is in front of a window through which I can see a stormy outdoor environment. This has a purpose: I cannot visualize truly static scenes, my visualization is like a video that cannot be paused. If I want to view a static apple from a fixed camera angle, then I need to animate something in the background. Outside of that limitation, I can freely manipulate pretty much everything.

>are you a crab?
No.
I don't know enough about how I.Q tests work to even make an educated guess. In my opinion, my speed of thought is rather low, but I'm very good at memorization and efficiently learning new skills.
/beg/

>> No.4511246

>>4505782
The apple is slightly taller than it is round. It’s red with gold flecks, color is probably like a Gala apple or Fuji apple moreso than a red-delicious. There is a slightly glossy sheen to it and light is hitting one side. The apple has no stem and is sitting upright. Its on a black/dark gray featureless background.
>probably not
>120-ish
>perpetual /beg/ and/or ngmi

>> No.4511265

>>4505782
I see only blackness.
don't crab
never had IQ test
started a few days ago

>> No.4511266
File: 195 KB, 1601x1080, IMG_20200420_155816.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>m-my iq is over 120, I s-wear

>> No.4511286

>>4505782
I see the apple clearly at times, sometimes it is just the shape and light without texture. I can consistently rotate and rearrange elements, although it takes me a lot of effort to hold one image still.
>Yes
>Certified 138 but im an idiot loser
>low-int

>> No.4511609

>>4511096
talk for yourself, i took a legitimate test at a psycholigist

that said, online tests are of course no real indicator for IQ. you can easily score 120+ even with the mensa one

>> No.4512372

>nobody has 80IQ
The system is rigged.

>> No.4512383

>>4511266
>>4512372
I pointed this out above a few days ago. Its fucking hilarious how those faggots have to lie about their IQs in order to feel better.

>> No.4512501

>>4511266
>>4512372
>>4512383
Cope

>> No.4512527

>Close your eyes.
OK now what? i cant see shit hope in iressing the vorrect keys otherwsie this would be a didadter
uhhh ill opwm my eies do i van find the submit burron

>> No.4512664

>>4512527
PYW

>> No.4513558

>>4505782
The apple is brown, white backed. It started off as a dull shade of red with a bruise on it but quickly decayed before my eyes. Major textures like differences in color and shape are visible, and I can look at the apple closer to see more details, like the rough, twisted stem. I can't move it closer or rotate it in real time, it's more of a slideshow of what I want to see. In general, it's pretty photorealistic, probably constructed from many memories.
I am not a crab and although I occasionally will call Anons' artworks shit, I give an explanation and try to give tips that can help them fix problems and improve.
I took an IQ test a long time ago when I was in gradeschool and it came out to some shit like 130. Take that for what you will; I consider myself to be a smart person but not the kind of 'smart' that has ever helped me in life.
I'm /beg/ tier, and I'm trying to learn anatomy although I may be getting ahead of myself with that. Time will tell.

>> No.4515921

>either no crab posted or the crabs lied out of shame
THIS IS BULLSHIT WHERE ARE ALL THE CRAB POSTERS? THIS DOESNT WORK IF YOU JUST IGNORE THE THREAD YOU SACKS OF GIGANTIC SHIT!

>> No.4515950

Generic red
>How detailed is the apple?
P detailed, yellow flecks, green around the stem
>Is the apple shaded?
Yee
>Do you see white behind it or black behind it?
On off white table with darker value backdrop
>are you a crab?
I think I give p good crit and am mostly positive
Tested at 148 in high school, but I’m an alcoholic now so I probably have dropped considerably.
Prob ngmi cuz my stem job pays too well to quit. I think skill wise maybe I’m /int/?