[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 387 KB, 680x708, a09.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4417174 No.4417174 [Reply] [Original]

>Photoshop
Shitty selection tools, shitty blur/blend tools.

>Sai 2
Incredibly limited brushes.

>Krita
Shitty airbrush tools, shitty blur/blend tools.

>CSP
Lags tremendously when using any sizable brush, choppy as hell. Brushes are also barely above Sai's.

Am I forever doomed to have to switch between software for individual stages of my workflow? Will there never be a solution that covers all grounds?

If photoshop allowed for selections of enclosed transparent areas and had a semi capable blending brush it would almost fit the bill, but it doesnt and probably never will because its for photo editing.

>> No.4417377

>>4417174
CSP has a fantastic selection of custom brushes from nips tho. Also the choppy Ness might be because of tablet settings in the preferences. Make sure it isn't in the mouse mode.

>> No.4417392

>>4417174
Never had that bad of a lag using CSP, but I work on 4k pixel range or the largest size. I know that some people work on 12k.

Also, round hard brush master race. Could care less about fancy brushes.

And, being able to select something from another layer without the need to change the layer you're on is a big plus for me.

>> No.4417411

>>4417392
I dont know why but I work on a 4000x2900 canvas and as soon as I get even close to a medium brush size it lags out tremendously. I have a Ryzen 5 3600. Also tons of screen tearing. I want a unified bit of software to cover all corners but I have to use SAI for my lined work and photoshop for painting. Sai 2 can already do what you just listed, but also runs like butter since its so lightweight. Also has amazing blurring brushes. Its just that for painting youre really fucked

>> No.4417412

>>4417174
This is like complaining that you can't paint like a crayon can draw.

>> No.4417419
File: 17 KB, 800x1165, 1528666136448.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4417377
Had the choppy issue with both wacom and xp-pen tablets, on multiple computers, including a surface pro 4.
I think they just need to upgrade their render engine for brushes to use gpu.

>> No.4417430

>>4417411
I'm using Ryzen 5 2600. No screen tearing with RX 580. It could be that CSP isn't optimized for the new Ryzen yet. But, yeah, if I had those problems I would ditch CSP too.

>> No.4417457

>>4417174
I go between PS and CSP back and forth for some of my images, feels alright

>> No.4417481
File: 31 KB, 422x115, unnamed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Swallow the the mypaintpill anon:
>almost no lag
>infinite canvas
>broad selection of brushes, amazing blending technology which includes spectral blending by default
>masking by layers literally takes to press two keys
>no shitty bloated tools like the lasso tool
>free as in beer and freedom

>> No.4417485

>>4417430
I doubt it's the cpu, I have an intel one.

>> No.4417500

>>4417481
>no... lasso tool

Bad. Calling missing useful tools ‘bloat’ is a cope.

>infinite canvas

At the expense of being able to set file dimensions. Terrible.

>> No.4417508
File: 207 KB, 714x372, 1583864066.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4417500
>Bad. Calling missing useful tools ‘bloat’ is a cope.
>not being able to fix your art by painting over it
ngmi

>At the expense of being able to set file dimensions. Terrible.
You still can set the file dimensions by framing the canvas.

>> No.4417520

You forgot:
>medibang
Everything is shit but it has a curve tool that is actually useful

>> No.4417543

>>4417174
wtf I love how customizable krita brushes are, let me try

>Photoshop
CC is bloated, but on my desktop it runs perfectly fine. Idk even 6 gets the job done if wasn't for the 32bit ram limit i'd use it.

>Sai 2
It's fine but I always end up refining in a different software. Not worth buying imo, (not that many people do anyways). Really comfy when paired with a joystick.

>Krita
Really nice, sucks when using adjustment layers and shit like that, literally waiting up to minutes for it to preview/apply.

>CSP
really handy and customizable, wish it had better performance, and that the brush settings were a little more intuitive.

>> No.4417599

>>4417419
Buddy. Im on a Surface Pro 5. These things dont exactly have the best hardware. Though its true that Sai is virtually lagless so it definitely is true that CSP can use some optimization.

Lets put it this way. There are plenty of professional artists that can make masterpieces in just one software. The sofware isnt what is making your art shit.

>> No.4417622

>>4417599
not him, Im the OP but I achieve everything I need to by transferring the psd to each software to make use of their respective strengths. I sketch, line and shade on sai 2 and then do backgrounds and painterly things in photoshop. Its just annoying that despite the surge of interest, the continued development into the software and in general the progress of tech, there are always really basic things either missing or done terrible in each software relative to others.

Not small things, either. I remember a thread a few months back wherein some anons were getting mindblown by this webm that showed someone applying soft shading on a curvature by using a blur tool to soften a block of shade tone. It was funny because all the Photoshop users were taking it to be witchcraft, some magical super way of making soft shading easier. But Sai users were confused as hell because its 101 shit for them, its even one of the default tools. I almost wish I hadent tried out so many software and just used one for everything because Ive been spoiled by the best features of each, and now no software can fit all my needs.

>> No.4417643

>>4417174
youre a /beg/ heres are some actual facts.

>photoshop
best tools, most reliable software(doesnt crash), many ways to select, including the quick mask mode(turns the brush red). blending is far more controllable where you can force to blend only on new layers or same all layer data. no other program does that. not to mention all the brushes settings are literally in one panel and i ts easily accessible(f5).
>sai 2
has more brush functions than sai 1, has a swiss army knife brush that lets you blend with really soft strokes and at the same time have sharp edges.
>krita, crash and lag infested, the brush panel is a mess. also the devs are rude as fuck.
>csp same problem as krita with the brush panel, its fucking messy. everything els is basic and this program really only shines with comic work and or animation, not illustration.

stick to photoshop and avoid anything els if you know whats good for you.

>> No.4417646

>>4417643
I didn't know adobe has shills.

>> No.4417663

>>4417643
Setting shortcuts in Photoshop is a nightmare.

>> No.4417684

>>4417643
>(doesnt crash)

Mine has crashes at least once a month, and Im on a powerful pc.

>many ways to select

Yeah apart from a fast one. You write as if you havent ever seen what an actual competent magic wand tool can do.

>blending is far more controllable where you can force to blend only on new layers or same all layer data

What? This is what happens in all art software. Layer masks are not exclusive to PS.

>all tools are easily accessible by pressing F5

Yeah and thats already an extra stupid step you have to take. In sai the settings are neatly packed below the brush in the side panel.

Im not blaming the software for my quality, Im annoyed that my workflow has to consistently be interrupted by having to switch software mid picture.

>> No.4418685

>>4417643
PS and their fucking subscription
I stick to krita because it's free

>> No.4418688

>>4418685
>Doesn't use pirated software
ngmi

>> No.4418718

>>4417392
>And, being able to select something from another layer without the need to change the layer you're on is a big plus for me.
How?

>> No.4418725

>>4417643
>krita, crash and lag infested
In 3+ years of using Krita, I remember it crashing maybe like twice.