[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 10 KB, 400x400, 1582762245632.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4413237 No.4413237 [Reply] [Original]

Is it possible to have art friends even if you don't find their art good/appealing? Can you say you fully support them even though inside you feel like they could do a lot better if they applied themselves?

I'm afraid I'd lose my friends if I told them what I really think about their art. Anyone else feel like this?

>> No.4413239

>>4413237
I don't have any friends can't relate

>> No.4413254
File: 126 KB, 561x684, 1554492897890.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have an /ic/ art friend whose style I'm not a fan of (and my friend knows it) and we get along just fine.
Despite the style, it's very well-executed, with good colors, composition, and my friend can do realism/rendering better than I could dream of.

Here's a question to put things in perspective:
Can you be on good terms with your parents even they don't work in the same field as you?

The answer is yes.
You probably shouldn't make projects together, but different perspectives and even the meta part of it (talking about work ethic, life, opportunities) can be beneficial.
And when someone asks you to do a style that doesn't sit well with you? Well, you have a nice friend to recommend to the client.

>I'm afraid I'd lose my friends if I told them what I really think about their art.
Maybe you're too deep into lying and pretending you love it. Then yeah, you might.

If it's distinct enough from yours, a good way to make it smoother is you try to do a few pieces in your friends' style, then you're authorized to start criticizing it. AND hear a little about what they don't like about yours - otherwise they'd be drawing like you.

tl;dr: Find the positive points about your friends' art, be sure they're doing the style out of choice and not limitation, and be supportive without lying.

>> No.4413289

>>4413254
Yeah, good points. Tho, it's the skill level I'm concerned about. They're my age, or older, they should be more skilled at this point....

>> No.4413515

100% yes.

I used to draw with dozens of others in Paintchat(oekaki client) and whiteb/groupboard(Java program)

I sucked. Other artists were bad and good. Some had styles I didn't like. But we all had fun and Drew together.

The cool thing about it was. You could just show up and draw at any time of day. And you could draw right next to someone. Or just chat with them below about anything.

I wish someone could bring it back. I heard drawpile was like that. But it doesn't have the same appeal of a random person coming in to draw whatever they want.