[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 87 KB, 451x693, 1579680819794.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4323097 No.4323097 [Reply] [Original]

Any book about getting proportions right? Course video etc

>> No.4323104

I asked my friend who went to art school this same question. He said just fill a few pages with lines. Then go on and put a dot where you think the center of the line is. Then go back in and measure with a ruler and put a dot where the actual center is. Once you get that down, mark 3rds and go back and measure and verify. Once you can see halves and thirds you should be good at visual measurement

>> No.4323111

>>4323104
that sort of thing sounds like a lighter version of sight size.

majority of artists seem to use a form of sight size, thinking in terms of relationships and having an intuitive understanding of a subject seems like it would be a better way to do things if you want to do imagination work--then again I'm not sure how you learn that properly and it takes forever while sight size is fast and easy.

>> No.4323112

>>4323097
Literally just practice. There is nothing "just practice" applies more to than this.

>> No.4323164

Even if you’re working from imagination, you still have to measure out your figure/subject to ensure they’re not too small or too large and running off your page.

>> No.4323170
File: 74 KB, 580x840, donglei1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4323097
Forget about the proportions forever all people are different.

Study gesture and sonstruction. When you nail the structure and form whatever you draw is right.
Chose to make some extreme neck? That's just going to be a good drawing of an extreme person.

>> No.4323193

>>4323170
It’s still important to understand the proportional relationships between every part of the body and the skeleton. Yes everybody is different but having an average you can recall to base measurements off of is extremely important and will show you how people differ. Just winging it is not a good form of study and promotes bad training.

>> No.4323256

>>4323097
Virtually all detailed figure drawing books and courses teach proportions.

>> No.4323314

>>4323256
>Virtually all detailed figure drawing books and courses teach proportions

I dont mean proportins like divining the head into 3 equal parts. I mean about teaching how to better translate angles, lines in proportion to eachother on paper. I guess its my fault,i think i was thinking measurments, but in my language they re the same thing

>> No.4323324

>>4323314
You have to use plum lines, comparing and checking angles with a straight edge like a pencil. Having a basic understanding of perspective is needed too. The more you do these things the easier it gets and more efficient the process becomes. If you put down the wrong angle then you better correct it or else your eye won’t learn to accurately judge angles. There isn’t anyone who is above these methods.