[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 43 KB, 700x503, 1527471215491.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4287982 No.4287982 [Reply] [Original]

IF YOU ARE A /BEG/INNER IN ART, please use this thread to post pieces for critique or ask for advice. We should not have to make new threads or post in the /draw/thread with our fundamental exercises.

Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, or you literally are never going to make it

previous >>4285118

READ THE STICKY if you need guidance.

Sticky: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98/edit#bookmark=id.15jx3pyuimvj
RESIZE YOUR IMAGES - try ~1000px, <1.1mb

>> No.4287986

>>4287982
You could at least use a art post from the last thread imstead of a meme anon.

>> No.4287991

>>4287986
i won't but you can, if nobody makes a new thread i just pick any meme for the op

>> No.4287996

>>4287986
people will be complaining that their art is not good enough or the art in the op is not beg and shiting the thread

>> No.4288019
File: 149 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4287939
You can notice that there's a dimension to the eyelids here, they don't just wrap the eyeballs like a flat paper.

>> No.4288031

Absolute begginer here, best I can draw is a stick figure but I've always wanted to draw. A friend of mine gave me her old Huion drawing tablet on a whim and I figured I'd try to out it to use.

The only art experience I have is from painting miniatures (like Warhammer), something i did well enough to make money from time to time. So colors for the most part I'm comfortable with.

I read the sticky and skimmed through some books it had listed, I intend on following through them but I was wondering if tracing is a valid method of teaching someone to draw? I learned how to paint by re-creating my own copy of someone else's work and then comparing, repeating until my work was identical or better.

Does this seem viable to pull a picture off the internet, load it into Krita , and try to trace over it and re-create?

>> No.4288038

>>4288031
>Does this seem viable to pull a picture.....and try to trace over it and re-create?
Not really, you can copy, but tracing is a waste of time, because you are avoiding the part of seeing the thing, by tracing you don't see, so you can't think on the shapes you are making and how to correct your position, your muscles. You can copy by looking of course, put the image on the side and copy, but no trace over that's stupid.
Even in old times, when art teaching in schools were focused in technique for getting artesan jobs, they used to teach kids with patterns to copy, using grids, to the kids could make
size relationships and proportions.

>> No.4288053

>>4288038
>You don't see

That's an interesting point. I have a very hard time envisioning things in space, part of the reason I was so terrible at geometry and physics. When painting miniatures I o my needed to envision light and shadow as opposed to the actual shapes and forms of the model

Is it considered poor form to use a grid or other guidelines when learning? Again my lack of spacial abilities makes doing something like drawing a line of the same length, really fucking difficult

>> No.4288060

>>4288053
not at all, but you have to consider that depending of your artist path you should leave that in some point, or not.
For example, some standard drawing people use the pencil for draw from real life... always, to take distances and make relations, thats fine, even some make a tiny grid with paper or more firm materials, to using them in real life drawings, others rely to much on the references, that's fine, old painters used to copy real life models to make the paints.
The point is that if you want for example make comics, or invent things, you should try to learn to make those relations in your brain with the time, because for those kinds of artists the dependence with images could be negative, but in the other side if you do paintings of real things, or people, or do portraits, for ever, is perfectly fine, a lot of people can live with that.

The better is develop all the things, and train your mental visualization is allways worth.
you can make grids and lines in the sketchs also, all people do it.

>> No.4288066

>>4288060
thats why basic learning books like loomis teach realtionships of the body firsts, in a grid, so you can make your own conclusions and copy them.
For example, in a 8 heads proportion, you make a vertical line, make a perpendicular line in the middle, and you have that up this line is the body from the hips, and for down is from the hips to the feets. That easy relationship you can make it with the pencil, drawing it, or with the time just dont make it, because you already mentalized it. All relationships of distances work the same way.

>> No.4288068

>>4288060
Thanks for the detailed responses Anon, I feel a little more.comfortable diving in.

You'll be critiquing my terrible artwork soon enough!

>> No.4288084

>>4288068
prabably, if not, some else is gonna do it, just remember that people think different, the point is that you allways have to keep your brain fresh, eat the critique but don't let affect you mentaly, take your art like a constant critic exercise, you can allways make things just for fun of course, you don't even need to show those to anyone, is your safe place when you can draw anything with no rules.

>> No.4288090
File: 501 KB, 1780x2375, 75283491-DCA0-42B5-9D4C-D54A247BBB5B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ayyy lmao

>> No.4288097
File: 654 KB, 1619x1275, 028442792389.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sometimes I wonder if I should even keep trying :(

>> No.4288101

>>4288090
What the fuck are we supposed to say to this? Stop drawing on a computer. Get a pencil and paper and work your fundamentals.

>> No.4288126

So I told my mom I was wanting to learn how to draw, and she ended up going all out for christmas with the idea. Drawing table, sketch books, pencils, Loomis, Michael Hampton, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, etc. All out. So now I really feel invested in it, but am absolute shit beginner.

I know everything's just gonna come with practice, work, and studying, but starting off what would you say are some good warm ups to try to get off symbol drawing? Outside of the exercises mentioned in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

>> No.4288127

>>4288126
The material presented in DotRSotB are probably going to be sufficient for a beginner to break out of those bad habits. One thing you should know as well is to draw BIG. Don't draw small!

>> No.4288129

>>4288126
draw boxes and other 3d forms in perspective, practice your ellipses, do life studies, then work in drawing from imagination

>> No.4288132

>>4288126
Also, don't get TOO dependent on contour drawing. After a few months you should also start working on gesture as well, or your poses will be stiff and you'll have a lot of trouble drawing from imagination.

>> No.4288136

>>4288127
>>4288129
Thanks for the input guys

>>4288132
This is an interesting point. Are you basically saying that I should eventually start working on things like negative space and other shit like that to fill in the frame rather than try to just outline everything?

>> No.4288165

>>4288136
Not exactly. Gesture copies the "feel" of a pose, rather than the exact contours.

>> No.4288182

>>4288097
That's unironically a lot better than what I can do. I just started drawing earlier this week so what I say might be totally wrong but

>Background
I'm assuming this is just to fill space but it's busy and distracting. I think if you just roughly shaded with your pencil it would be better

>Hair/hood
I can't tell if this is supposed to be hair or a headcovering, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
It lacks texture, especially for hair. If it is a good then the back piece is a little out of shape unless he's wearing a literal sheet over his head

>Gender
I can't actually tell if this is a man or woman

The face says male to me, but the long hair (if that's what it is) makes me feel like it's a woman

>> No.4288183

>>4288182
Why the fuck are you giving advice?

>> No.4288193

>>4288182
The background seemed kind of empty so I decided to do grind ellipses and use that as a background.

I do see what you mean with the hair/headcovering. It was supposed to be hair but I'm not exactly sure how to draw hair without making it look messy so I just drew the basic shapes of the hair.

Maybe I should try to figure out differences between genders and try to draw them but honestly I'm just drawing whatever I think it looks like, maybe I should use more reference.

>>4288183
Ironically enough, this is probably one of the more useful critiques that I've received.

I usually get a vague "aNaToMiYy iS wRonG" which is basically on par with just saying "this is trash" which doesn't help me at all.

Granted, I would like more specific advice. Like, what exactly to study or how I should be studying to get the face looking right. Would a redline be too much to ask for?

>> No.4288195

How do I learn to observe values better? In a photo I can basically see "x is darker than y" but drawing from life I find myself having trouble due to the surface finishes of some things. Am I just retarded? Should I just find matte white things to draw to learn light and values better? Pic not really related but just what I was doodling to keep busy while watching a movie.

>> No.4288202

>>4288193
>just saying "this is trash" which doesn't help me at all.
>Granted, I would like more specific advice. >Like, what exactly to study or how I should be studying to get the face looking right. Would a redline be too much to ask for?

Guess why you're getting that? Because there's no specific advice to give. There's not one specific thing you need to work on - you need to work on everything. The advice you need is to just do your drills, do your basics, do a thousand more drawings studying the absolute building blocks before you even come in looking for a critique. A redline won't fix your fundamental inability to draw. Practise your basics. that's the only useful advice anyone can give you.

>> No.4288207

>>4288193
I think part of the problem with a lot of people in this thread is that you ask "how do I fix this? Give me redline" where a redline wouldn't really help.
What might be helpful is if YOU redline it. Show us where you applied construction, show us what you planned the light source to be, show us how you intended to use form to make an image we could relate to in the 3D world, show us how you used value and framing to create an interesting composition. Then we can tell you how you went wrong in those areas or direct you to resources to study. If you cant answer those questions then go draw a box.

So many people get mad when we just say "loomis" or "perspective made easy" or some other book. But this board is for self learning, if you want hand holding then go pay someone to teach you.

>> No.4288218

>>4288060
what do i need to be good at to draw comics? go full in construction?

>> No.4288255

How do you indicate foreshortening in gesture?

>> No.4288256

>>4288255
A shorter line

>> No.4288265

>>4288202
This is what I'm talking about.

>Learn the basics because everything sucks.

What the hell are the basics?
This is the /beg thread, so you can't exactly expect us to just prop up and think "OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST TELL ME TO LEARN THE BASICS" and somehow I'll know this arbitrary definition of the "basics."

I studied perspective and understand form.
I'm currently learning to draw the head. I've watched, taken notes, and copied from Glenn Vilppu's head anatomy course, Proko's Portrait drawing course, Steve Huston's HC course (Beginner, Intermmediate and Advanced), I've drawn hundreds of Loomis heads, I've drawn hundreds of skulls. What am I missing? Because I'm trying everything that you guys are telling me to do. Granted, it's extremely vague and I have to figure out exactly what I'm supposed to do but maybe I do need it to be spelled out for me--I am /beg after all.

Currently, I'm relearning how to draw the head/face with someone using a CGMA course. It's a bit repetitive and feels like I'm relearning things again and I'm not really seeing the point. I already understand all of this anatomy crap. The problem is when I draw, it looks like shit. So I don't know what the problem is.

"Just learn the basics" is far too vague for all the things I've tried already.

>> No.4288268

>>4288265
>I've drawn hundreds of Loomis heads, I've drawn hundreds of skulls. What am I missing?
Thousands.

>> No.4288270

>>4288207
>Go draw a box.
Crab?
I've spent months JUST drawing boxes every single day not drawing anything else because that was all I could draw. At this point, I can draw a box as well as I want it to be for my level. It's just like how it would be asinine to achieve perfect circular precision and be able to draw a perfect straight line before I can start drawing.

If you're telling me to "just go draw a box" you obviously had no intention of helping me improve.

>> No.4288274

>>4288265
the problem is you're spending too much time shitposting on /ic/

there's no magic trick we can tell you so you'll improve if you're really doing the things you say you are

thats like a basketball player saying "ive already learned how to shoot three pointers, so its a bit repetitive to keep doing them"

you have to figure out how to learn by yourself

>> No.4288275

>>4288268
You're getting too literal with my words.

I'm being modest when I say "hundreds."

Fact is, I spent 6 hours a day for a few weeks just sitting down and drawing Loomis heads until I hated it and came up with my own version. At this point, I can draw a head from my imagination. The problem is that it still looks like shit.

Unfortunately, there is no Loomis Eyes Method or Loomis Mouth Method because that's what I'm struggling to draw the most.

>> No.4288276

>>4288274
Then why go to school at all for drawing/art if we're all supposed to be able to figure everything out when we are still /beg?

>> No.4288279

>>4288276
connections and structure

>> No.4288282
File: 93 KB, 502x607, Screenshot_14.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how did he place his figure in perspective, I cant seem to locate the vanishing points. What courses do you recommend?

>> No.4288284

>>4288282
Marksmanship course, so you can accurately place the bullet through your brain.

>> No.4288285

>>4288275
>Fact is, I spent 6 hours a day for a few weeks just sitting down and drawing Loomis heads
Mindlessly making the same mistakes over and over isn't going to help you. Also, you're lying, or you're retarded because there's no way you drilled Loomis heads for hundreds of hours and still can't get very basic proportions right.
> came up with my own version
lol
>At this point, I can draw a head from my imagination.
Clearly.
>Unfortunately, there is no Loomis Eyes Method or Loomis Mouth Method because that's what I'm struggling to draw the most.
No, you're not, you're struggling with everything.

>> No.4288287

>>4288282
I think you should take a look at Scott Robertson's book, How to Draw! It has exactly what you're looking for, I think that artist attended Scott's lectures back from when he taught at Art Center, the drawing style is really similar

>> No.4288288

>>4288284
?

>> No.4288289

>>4288276
>>4288279

no one that goes to art school and makes it needed a teacher to learn the skills

>> No.4288290

>>4288287
thank you, i really like cody's style. does he use loomis?

>> No.4288293
File: 213 KB, 794x763, Screenshot_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288282
does this help?

>> No.4288295

>>4288285
>Mindlessly making the same mistakes...
I don’t think you guys realize how ironic you are. You tell me that I’m supposed to draw X and then when I go to draw X a thousand times you tell me that I’m not supposed to mindlessly do it like I’m supposed to have any sort of understanding of the difference between mindlessly drawing and whatever the (most likely) arbitrary alternative is.

I’m sorry to tell you that Loomis heads didn’t work for me. Unfortunately grinding thousands of them didn’t make me good enough to draw them from imagination.

I’m sure this is just a crab reply though since you didn’t give any helpful advice and just turned “you’re shit git gud” into a longer reply.

>> No.4288297

>>4288289
This is bullshit. You’re telling me that the 4th Grader in my class (when I used to be in Elementary School) who had a private tutor would have been as good as he was without a tutor. Get the fuck out of here.

>> No.4288298

>>4288282
>>4288290
>>4288293
>>4288289
samefag

>> No.4288309

>>4288183
>Why are you giving advice

Because I have eyes and the ability to form an opinion. I didn't tell the guy a technique or anything like that and I gave a disclaimer that I'm not some professional.

The points I have were general things that anyone could see and those can at times be beneficial, like an editor correcting a spelling mistake or repeated word

>> No.4288322

>>4288295
You've been given the only helpful advice there is to give, many times. It's not anyone's fault but your own that you're too dense to take it to heart.

>> No.4288323

>>4288295
Let's see some of your Loomis heads. Go on. You must have thousands, let's see a few.

>> No.4288331

>>4288322
>You’re just too dense.
Thanks. I wasn’t coming on here looking for critique, anyway. All I wanted was for people to tell me that I’m too dumb because I can’t draw.

>>4288323
I would have done so before you crabbed hard multiple times but now that I know your intentions, I can see that doing so will solve nothing. If you can’t give good enough critique that I can walk away with from that post and my two other posts I made in the previous threads, I’m extremely doubtful that you’ll be able to pull anything out of my old Loomis heads.

>> No.4288333

>>4288331
Lol

>> No.4288338

>>4288270
>takes one single line out of context.
I'm not even crabbing, just here self learning like you which is why I gave you the advice of giving context with your drawing. A simple "hey, I'm practicing lighting in this, how is the lighting?". But Instead you post a flat profile surrounded by squiggles and cry that no one gives you any help.
The process of learning is doing repetitive exercises and then applying those to your drawings. That's what makes it fun. You know, draw some boxes, get a feel, now draw a layout-your bedroom-something demonstrating box like forms. Wow, that layout looks better than any layout you have done before, huh? Wow.
You say you spent a while drawing boxes (and my "draw a box" comment extends to spheres and cylinders). Please show me where those concepts were applied in your drawing. From where I stand, it doesnt look like they're applied at all.

Draw a box, attach it to a sphere, attach a pyramid to the front for a nose and you have the most basic forms for a head that would look better than the one you posted. When people say "loomis" they're literally referring to a STEP BY FUCKING STEP instruction to draw a fucking head. If you cant follow the steps, pay someone to hold your baby hands.

>> No.4288340

>>4288275
Do you enjoy drawing? If so, keep up the good fight. Stop grinding fundies and draw something that makes you happy. If you're hating grinding and also hating what you create, maybe art isnt for you. If you dont enjoy the process, and dont enjoy the results then what is even the point? If you have studied as hard as you say you are then could be you're just bad at art. Keep making it if you enjoy it, make it for you and only you.

>> No.4288341

>>4288284
Lol

>> No.4288342

>>4288331
just stfu dumbass. The point is, if you cannot even get the head right, then it doesn't fucking matter if someone is crabbing you or not lol

>> No.4288355
File: 387 KB, 800x1200, header.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I tell if the head is in proportion to the rest of the body

>> No.4288382

>>4288355
stop drawing small
Bodies are btwn 6-8 heads tall.

>> No.4288391
File: 410 KB, 809x783, bf109 gf stretch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4287982
Do these wings seem correct? I'm too scared to post my shit in the few art servers I'm in on discord.

>> No.4288411

>>4288126
You could get all that for free with some googling. Why didn’t you ask her for a video course that hasn’t been posted here yet? Or a Japanese book.

>> No.4288414
File: 87 KB, 584x759, somethign imagination.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Got kinda bored drawing just from life so here is something from imagination, just simple construction.

>> No.4288442

>>4288355
The head measurement is in proportion to the length of the shoulders. From shoulder to the middle of the chest is one head length. Shoulder to shoulder is two head lengths. I like to use the clavice as a proper form of measuring. Always use the head in the beginning to measure everything out. A normal human is about 7 1/2 head lengths, a child 6 head lengths, and a superhero,fashion sketch, or god figure 8 head lengths. Look up Loomis.

>> No.4288443

>>4288391
I mean they do, but this is just weird. It would be nice to see this in color.

>> No.4288450

Can I just start drawing again with this tablet I've had for years instead of using a sketchbook/pencils?

>> No.4288495

>>4288126
Hope you thanked your mom you spoiled little brat.

>> No.4288587
File: 1.42 MB, 1167x1536, rsz_sketch1577879851841.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

posted too late on the other thread but someone said that the lips look cutout and he was right, how can I fix it? I won't have my tablet in a couple of days so I cant try fixing anything rn

>> No.4288624
File: 835 KB, 1600x2560, a6ca9932-4e9b-47b6-9fdf-3dab5e43f267.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did I put too much detail in the hair? Should I go with broader strokes? How do I make it not look like blocks of cheese?

>> No.4288689

>>4288411
I didn't ask her for anything, I'm a grown man and don't expect anything for christmas. She just decided on her own to do all that.

>>4288495
Absolutely. I don't even know how she managed to afford it all considering her medical bills.

>> No.4288731

>>4288183
>Why the fuck are you giving advice?
You mean to do what you’re supposed to do on this board? Critique others in your best way possible to better them, and you see something wrong with that? Faggots like (You) are what’s ruining this board. There’s (You)r proper critique, or would you rather me do what you do and just say “NGMI, quit art, it’s irredeemable shit”?

>> No.4288747

>>4288731
every time some idiot atatcks you on this board, check whether there's their drawing attached to that bullshit first.

There's a drawing? ok, so they have some experience and knowledge, maybe they're not talking out of their ass and discussing with that person can help me develop.

No drawing? They're talking out of their ass. Arguing with them is a complete waste of time that won't benefit your development in any way, they could be a 11 year old troll that never held a pencil for all we know. And if they refuse to support their rambling by posting their drawing, there's a 100% chance they don't know what they're talking about, no matter how much autistic tantrums they throw about it. Good artists will grab a pencil to prove their point without any hesitation.

>> No.4288749
File: 218 KB, 979x1493, prac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Doing some practice. I don’t have technical skill yet but I hope I’ve got soul

>> No.4288750

>>4288747
Probably should have kept this in mind before those kids crabbed hard on me.

>> No.4288757

>>4288587
i think the left side of the lips shouldnt be so "squeezed", the bottom part of the lips should be more even regarding the level
softening the edges wouldnt hurt too

>> No.4288770

>>4288126
Draw a ton of portraits until your brain final y gets it. You are not going to learn how to stop by using construction. Thats Fucking retarded

>> No.4288826

How do you simplify the pelvic bone in your construction? Which shapes do you use to keep it simple, yet anatomically correct?

>> No.4288862
File: 182 KB, 828x791, Capture876867.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what the hell do they mean by simplifying the form?
>>4285184

>> No.4288868
File: 579 KB, 2070x2841, _20200101_175843.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's the rough sketch

>> No.4288871

>>4288749
Your pretty good keep going, kid looks like he had a stroke tho, use a ruler until you get gud

>> No.4288873
File: 46 KB, 1024x576, bikegirlback2_by_maikeru01_ddnhj4e-fullview.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288868
My line quality is absolute shit when I try to go digital.

>> No.4288875

>>4288862
You can’t just copy the reference exactly, is what he’s saying. The point of a reference is to have something you can interpret, not copy. You break down the anatomy of the human body into basics shapes so that you can recall it easier from memory, you don’t copy ever little nook and cranny, mindlessly.

>> No.4288877
File: 3.26 MB, 4032x3024, IMG_20200102_125221660_HDR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes, I spend time on 4chan, how did you know?

>> No.4288880

>>4288770
Please pyw from imagination.

>> No.4288884
File: 166 KB, 1077x1523, IMG_4242.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288880
Not him but I sort of have the same philosophy right now and here's my work from imagination. Big white space in the corner is because of a gay message I wrote there for a friend that I erased before posting.

>> No.4288918
File: 80 KB, 243x247, a15.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288884
>anime
Opinion discarded.

>> No.4288923

>>4288884
Stop drawing anime. You'll stay /beg/ forever if you don't do both what you like and realism

>> No.4288924

Anyone know of a book that details the areas of fat storage in the body?

>> No.4288926

>>4288924
Books deep into anatomy, medical stuff has that kind of thing.

>> No.4288929

>>4288926
What the fuck? Why?

This is the /beg thread, you know. So I’m assuming you can barely draw good enough anatomy to start learning how to make it even more complex.

>> No.4288936

I’m a /beg and I’m unsure of the canvas size I should be using in csp. I mostly draw weeb pictures

>> No.4288939

>>4288936
just go with a4, it provides enough space for unrestrained movements but wont cause lagging

>> No.4288944

>>4288884
remember that these are the people giving you advice here. props for actually posting work though faggot

>> No.4288946

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOW DO I DRAW HANDS?

>> No.4288948
File: 204 KB, 1920x1080, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any hope anons? I've never drawn NSFW before.

>> No.4288957
File: 89 KB, 609x792, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

anon from previous general here >>4287741
tried to do draw a similar pose, gonna take your guyses advice and stay away from rendering for now

>> No.4288958

>>4288944
Why would I be posting here if I wasn't a /beg/ too?
Post your work from imagination, hot shot.

>> No.4288960
File: 668 KB, 1000x1414, 1578074302823.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trying to follow promos first spine exercise but I feel lost, especially with the ribs. I don't understand what I'm drawing but I don't know how to begin to.

>> No.4288963

>>4288884
imo its really nice to look at, one thing that does bother me are her legs, they look somewhat flat and weird
also, is that skirt supposed to be that short?

>> No.4288966
File: 968 KB, 1065x1600, download (9).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288957
ref

>> No.4288973

>>4288963
Thanks for the compliment!
I agree her legs look off, especially because one is obviously a different size than the other. Something to work on for next time I guess.
For the skirt I just picked a length that felt right I guess. Can't remember how pong it normally is. It's supposed to be Ren from Witch Weapon if you want to see other pics of her outfit.

>> No.4288988

>>4288731
>trying to justify giving advice when you have no idea what you're talking about
This thread is for beginners to post shitty art and ask stupid questions and for more experienced artists to give feedback and answers. You wouldn't take a split rec from someone with a 1pl8 squat, would you? Jesus, you're stupid.

>> No.4288995
File: 187 KB, 2000x2000, pop1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4288996
File: 1.34 MB, 468x311, 1535552124428.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288966
>literally hanging out of her
I THOUGHT ROASTBEEF WAS A MEME

>> No.4288998

When people say grind loomis do they mean just the basic construction lines or the feature placement aswell?

>> No.4289001

>>4288998
Both, but do one before the other.

>> No.4289005

>>4289001
How do i grind just feature placement by itself? Just draw the planes?

>> No.4289006

>>4288996
no incels allowed in this thread
leave now

>> No.4289019

>>4289005
No, dum dum. Do the basic construction first for a few months, then do basic construction AND feature placement.

>> No.4289028

>>4288966
This is really disgusting.

>> No.4289035

>>4288960
Proko? Discard him and use vilppu instead

>> No.4289036

>>4289019
Oh i see lol, okay thank you

>> No.4289037

>>4289028
>>>/hm/

>> No.4289041

>>4288391
I wonder what would happen to you if you come inside a boeing 757

>> No.4289042

>>4288126
damn, based mom.
I hope you ended drawing good shit so you can show to your mother some works to make her proud.

>> No.4289043

>>4289041
Anons manga will be called “the mile high club” about a boy who joins a club at school but all the girls are planes that want to fuck.

>> No.4289044

>>4289037
It is really disgusting and I’m female desu. What did she do to make her vagina hang out like that? I’ve never seen any human woman look that disgusting and I’ve been to bath houses.

>> No.4289055

>>4289044
I know, it's pretty bad. Some people are just really unlucky, she could really use a labiaplasty surgery to clean that up.

>> No.4289057

>>4288414
bad proportions but do more, is allways that way in the beggining.

>>4288587
it like they are a little to the right, but maybe is because the rendering is pretty rare, you should instead give more volume to the forms instead. the hand has no shadows for example, the occlusion shadow i mean, the hair also, things like that.

>> No.4289058

>>4289035
Why? It seems like Proko is a simpler place to start. It's recommended in the wici

>> No.4289059

>>4289055
Or she could just cover up and not show her vagina to strangers on the internet?

>> No.4289063

>>4289058
Proko isn’t helpful. I’ve heard his anatomy course is okay but anatomy isn’t even important as a beginner. Do vilppu’s drawing manual with the video course. He teaches construction and assumes you know nothing so he even goes over basic perspective. It’ll prepare you to success with Loomis figuring drawing after then you can focus on anatomy.

>> No.4289065

>>4288624
depends of what you want, you can make a fine hair with just some basic masses, also is somekind of normie thing make to many individual hairs to try to build the thing, just make big masses of gray then add detail little by little.

>>4288873
is because you don't give importance to the lines, when you don't do that, you have to make deep only by the colors and composition, you can give weight to the lines to make them look better, thinking in the volumes of the things, just take more time to that exercise, or get better in coloring.

>> No.4289067

>>4289044
fuck off tranny you’re not a real woman

>> No.4289069

>>4289063
Alright, sounds like I've jumped the gun. I'll check him out, thanks for the advice

>> No.4289078
File: 758 KB, 5000x5000, trapp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wip. traced and the redrew by referencing. anything b4 i commit to linework?

its a trap not an actual woman

>> No.4289081
File: 316 KB, 580x790, 45436858_p0_master1200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289078
ref

>> No.4289084

>>4289081
I’m not going to comment on your drawing but Len is such a cutie

>> No.4289086

>>4289078
Wasting your time.

>> No.4289089

>>4289067
This is probably the only board with more actual females than trannies. Why accuse me of being a tranny? Are you a roastie that’s mad other women don’t have disgusting vaginas?

>> No.4289090

>>4289086
???
is trying to get better by studying others success a waste of time?

>> No.4289091

>>4289084
im not drawing len

>> No.4289094

>>4289091
Aight .. I’ll bite then. You should learn basic figure drawing and work on drawing in 3d before trying to study anime. You’re just copying badly at this stage and it won’t help you improve.

>> No.4289119

>>4289090
No. That's not what you're doing.

>> No.4289136

>>4289089
post bagene

>> No.4289140
File: 526 KB, 320x240, only way to treat women.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289089
know your place femoid subhuman

>> No.4289166

>>4289140
Dilate

>> No.4289169

>>4289140
>le 4chan edgelord that is afraid of saying anything like that in real life

>> No.4289172
File: 188 KB, 1280x960, 82D70319-2278-42D1-8F79-45988B9EC578.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4289184

>>4289172
Use refrences more

>> No.4289187
File: 127 KB, 782x758, 1577770183387.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289169
>>4289166
>NOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE FEMERINOS NOT THE GOOD GIRLERINOS STOP BEING A MEANIE TO WOMEN OR ELSE

>> No.4289199
File: 78 KB, 1000x1000, 7550C172-FD18-434B-AA62-36005D06B8A7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WIP, how is my ecchi? Constructive criticism would be nice

>> No.4289217

>>4289199
study the basics

>> No.4289219

>>4288284
kek

>> No.4289221

>>4288126
Your mom loves you, man.

She's taking informed interest in what you're doing. That's a lifetime gift, make sure you appreciate her, alright?

>> No.4289224

>>4289187
>going into panic mode and defending yourself with memes when faced with reality

>> No.4289229

>>4289224
hope she sees this bro

>> No.4289234

>>4289229
>going for personal insults and still not addressing the original comment
you're running out of tricks

>> No.4289239

>>4289234
women are not going to fuck your incel ass just because you defend them on anonymous korean cartoon image sharing website

>> No.4289252

>>4288442
>>4288382
Thanks brahs

>> No.4289259

>>4289239
>saying that calling out a coward who's afraid to say the shit he says on 4chan in real life and his posts being shown to people in his life is his biggest fear is trying to cater to women's feelings because he simply cannot admit what kind of person in real life he is so he will just use whatever insult his trendy on the Le Edgelord board

>> No.4289265

>>4289217
Care to get into specifics? I can’t improve with vague shit

>> No.4289271
File: 1.35 MB, 2160x2160, 1577219787871.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288996
Kek

>> No.4289274

>>4289259
i stopped reading after the first 4 words because i realized that i dont give a fuck

>> No.4289277
File: 67 KB, 352x264, 1577223581286.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this thread
>/ic/
more like >>>/pol/ kek
(I hate roasties too but let's keep politics in >>>/pol/)

>> No.4289285
File: 755 KB, 940x573, JamieMcCartney_TheGreatWallofVagina_2008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288996
lol

>> No.4289312

>>4289184
If I pull that off, would I die?

>> No.4289328
File: 1.21 MB, 5000x5000, 1576729207757.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>wtf is going on
>scroll up

why is an incel having a meltdown over some 3DPD beffy bitch?

>> No.4289350
File: 743 KB, 2320x1729, Futaba.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my second nsfw drawing that I have ever drawn

>> No.4289360

why peter han keeps saying that you need to find the center line? i can't why drawing the center line will help in anything

>> No.4289377

>>4289265
You also can't improve if you get pissy every time you get salient advice.

>> No.4289379
File: 280 KB, 916x1500, img006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4289386

>>4289350
Make it your last

>> No.4289387

>>4289379
Jesus fucking christ does that honestly look right to you? Can you not tell just how much of a shitshow this is?

>> No.4289389

>>4289377
>Asks to elaborate.
>wHy aRe yOu geTiNg piSy?

>> No.4289390

>>4289387
It’s a child with double D’s. That is entirely correct anatomy.

>> No.4289397

>>4289389
I want you to tell me straight up that even with the links in the OP and the /ic/ sticky that you don't know what is meant by "the basics of drawing." Go on, say it.

>> No.4289401

>>4289397
Not him, but you’re a fucking faggot

>> No.4289405

>>4289401
Seethe

>> No.4289410

>>4289387
Yes I can, actually.
Asuka's neck is absurdley long. Near the tier of Candace from P&F only she's drawn more realistically.
I made the arms to short I see that now.
Made the hips too short and the hair is ugly.
Not to mention I made her face inaccurately because the head isn't nearly as massive as it actually is on model.
But you're free to redline it since you know so much more than me.
Whoever you are.
Also I fucked up one of the hands.

>> No.4289417
File: 29 KB, 496x505, wdyt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you think about my first anime-shit face?

>> No.4289418

>>4289410
Lol throw up a childish scribble and demand a redline. Keep going tell me how it works out for you.

>> No.4289422

>>4289418
Not OP but if you were better than this guy, redlining it would at least prove that you’re not talking out of your ass.
Or at least, pyw before you start crabbing.

>> No.4289425

>>4289422
Or he could just fix his mistakes first. Redlining is for when you can't tell what's wrong and need a second set of eyes. This lazy retard posted a drawing so fucked up a redline would basically just be doing the drawing for him.

>> No.4289443
File: 196 KB, 640x619, 1568976807342.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289425
why would i redline a five minute doodle?
i just wanted to draw asuka with fat tits
you're the one that took issue with it
redline it and show me how its actually the worst thing on this board
or don't redline it and keep your whiny trap shut
You retard.

>> No.4289446

>>4289443
Put no effort into a shit coomer drawing and throw a literal fucking tantrum when you're told it's shit. Actually kill yourself.

>> No.4289450

>ITS SHIT
>ITS SHIT
>ITS SHIT
>"Why is is shit?"
>...
>FUCK YOU NIGGER I DON'T FUCKING KNOW ITS JUST SHIT
Burden of proof lies with the accuser

>> No.4289453

>>4289450
Based retard. OP was literally able to admit all his mistakes but was too lazy to try to fix them. Try learning to read.

>> No.4289457

>>4289450
Idk what you're responding to but if it's the asuka one dont bother, it's been solved.
>anon posts shit picture
>"its shit"
>anon responds, acknowledging that it is shit and points out why.
Dunno why it escalated. Probably because anons response was pissy.
>I know its shit and I know why its shit, but go ahead and tell me why its shit.
Idk what the goal was.

>> No.4289473
File: 483 KB, 1240x2350, exercise8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Some general practice

>> No.4289507

>>4289473
What exactly are you practicing?

>> No.4289508
File: 249 KB, 880x1224, 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4289511

>>4289507
I always cringe when people post their work on critique threads and say shit like: “just a quick sketch”, “little practice”, “random sketch” like this is some sort of version of Twitter/Instagram.

>> No.4289517
File: 343 KB, 1201x997, New Canvas.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Practicing moe to, one day, draw 10.000 lolis as a sacrifice to the coom god.

>> No.4289523

so, how exactly am I supposed to practice the blooks in fun with a pencil? How closely should I follow the faces he's drawing vs adding features from imagination?

>> No.4289534

>>4289044
Yeah sure you are. It's literally just genetics. They come in different shapes and sizes.

>> No.4289538
File: 381 KB, 788x435, ds.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289508
Stop doing this and try to repeatedly draw a single line

>> No.4289542
File: 428 KB, 1200x3840, practice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

did i get memed? will doing this actually help me learn to draw? i feel a bit stupid doing these exercises

>> No.4289546

I'm pretty much a maximum beginner so I have some dumb questions

>Sticky tutorials
I'm assuming all of the basics outlined in the sticky (such as Loomis) are readily applicable to digital ? Are there any specifics that are different when starting digital art beyond learning the software?

>What the hell is crabbing?

>What is redlining and why do so many people ask for it?

>> No.4289548

>>4289511
it only works when the poster is absurdly good so it comes off as super effortless and amazing

>> No.4289556

>>4289546
>What the hell is crabbing?

google "crab mentality"

>What is redlining

it's when someone with more experience goes over a drawing in red and corrects the errors in anatomy, perspective, whatever the poster fucked up on

and why do so many people ask for it?

because if your perception is shit then it can be hard to spot even major flaws in your own art, so its very useful to have someone else specifically point out where you made mistakes AND show you exactly how to fix them.

>> No.4289558

>>4289542
>>4289546
holy shit, why do people start with digital

>> No.4289560

>>4289546
1. yeah all of drawing fundamentals apply to digital, its just a different tool. the only stuff that doesnt are subtleties of color mixing/particular painting techniques which you dont have to worry about
2. it's saying someone's work is shit and they arent gonna make it just for the sake of being a retarded asshole
3. it's basically sketching the correct version of anatomy over the piece that is supposedly incorrect

>> No.4289561

>>4289542
I wonder if they’re actually useful for digital. I know Peter Han shows us how to do it traditionally, though.

>> No.4289563

>>4289561
they are, you just have to zoom in to allow your hand more movement

that being said people pay too much attention to this exercise, its just for warmup and getting rid of scratchy lines

>> No.4289569

>>4289561
They are, it's just going to be more difficult since your stylus is a lot more sensitive to small movements than a real pencil/pen
If you're planning on doing digital art then it's definitely worth doing these digitally.

>> No.4289595
File: 835 KB, 2198x1200, 1578090183954.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289379

>> No.4289621
File: 128 KB, 561x1000, IMAG0304.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tried the loomis back thing
this is before learning all the muscles in the book

>> No.4289623

>>4289595
based anon thank you i was wondering why the loomis proportions looked so weird in an anime style

>> No.4289638

>>4289538
ok

>> No.4289648
File: 423 KB, 2234x2234, Project 19-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288624
Hay man, I'm not the best, but I hope this helps. I ended up spending a lot of time on this paintover but it was fun.

I think you're on the right track. Like the other anon said, for hair, you don't want to define every strand, you really just want to imply it. Especially for straight hair, you should think of it like thin, long ribbons. I changed the hair to black because it was easier for me , but I hope you get the idea. I don't know what reference you're using, maybe her hair really had that much volume, but I didn't find it appealing so I flattened it a bit. I think James Gurney had a good post about it on his old blog if you want to find out more.

The face is pretty good, if a bit long. If you're trying to draw a pretty girl, less is always more, you don't need to define the the nose nostrils, chin and lips with lines, let the shading to that for you. Admittedly, I changed the way she looked a lot, but you're the artist, you get to choose what you want to change and idealize. Maybe study the planes of the face more.

Push your values a bit more, try starting on a toned canvas that's a mid tone. It gives you the ability to go up and down in value, and really helps to make your highlights and shadows pop. Your eyes work by using the surrounding context and values to determine the values of other things within the image. A value surrounded by a darker value will look much brighter than when that exact same value is surrounded by a brighter value. Use this to your advantage, and never forget that everything you draw is simply an optical illusion. It's a trick on the eye, and it's important to understand how the eye works if you want to fool it. The first few chapters of Harold Speed's old book The Practice and Science of Drawing has some good info on that sort of stuff.

>> No.4289653
File: 68 KB, 320x480, 1576410928401.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288966
That shit is hanging lower than my nut sack.

>> No.4289668

What can i study at the same time as head construction? Or should i just focus all my attention on that

>> No.4289670

>>4289595
High quality post

>> No.4289678

>>4288284
KEK

>> No.4289681

>>4289648
Thank you for putting this much effort in your advice.

>I don't know what reference you're using, maybe her hair really had that much volume,
I am noticing it now. I drew the hair without reference so that might explain the abnormal volume. I will cut it down a bit.

>If you're trying to draw a pretty girl, less is always more, you don't need to define the the nose nostrils, chin and lips with lines,
Didn't really try to make her pretty or stylized. I just wanted to draw a face and try to make it realistic. But you are correct in that I need to put less detail on the nose and lips.

>try starting on a toned canvas that's a mid tone.
I'll try that out.

Thanks again anon.

>> No.4289703

>>4288255
Gesture and form go hand in hand and should not be entirely distinct from each other. Use the form to show perspective and overlapping forms.

>> No.4289718
File: 29 KB, 432x576, 81230745_2908508782513556_5391817697614888960_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

any advice on how to improve between attempts? I am learning to draw figure but I feel like I'm drawing aimlessly so in the end each drawing is basically the same thing and not working towards reality

did not use reference for any of these. Would that help? If so should I draw like a page of attempts of the one reference image or just do lots of single attempts?

>> No.4289757
File: 117 KB, 1675x942, 20200103_091637.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Today I drew for the first time since I was a child. I was in the parking lot and I was browsing this board last night so I gave it a go. Here are my first two masterpieces

>> No.4289759
File: 108 KB, 1675x942, 20200103_094842.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289757
so whattaya think my fellow fourchan artists?

>> No.4289765

>>4289757
>>4289759
well its pretty dogshit but if you study hard and take it seriously theres always the possibility of getting good, id be more interested in what you have after working on art for a few weeks or a month since what you posted is the music equivalent of learning two chords and then strumming them badly and going "so what do you think of my music?"

>> No.4289771

>>4289765
would you be impressed to know I used my left hand for these drawings and I am right handed?

>> No.4289774

>>4289771
i would think less of you honestly since youre not taking it seriously. you clearly dont understand and sort of theory regardless of the hand youre using. attempting to deflect with lazy quips like that tells me youre not ready.

>> No.4289778

>>4289774
i'll show you you stupid motherfucker

>> No.4289783

>>4289757
There’s a lot to say but primarily I would say to stop symbol drawing and study anatomy.

>> No.4289785

>>4289386
ahahha i laughed

>> No.4289795

Why yes I come into the beginner thread to type insightful critique such as, "You didn't even try." "How did you think that looked good you fucking retard." "Loomis" and "Grind for ten thousand hours" how could you tell?

>> No.4289820
File: 131 KB, 774x1032, figdraw0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

having never made a serious go at gesture drawing before, I have done 99 gestures in the past 3 days. Here are four of the ones I'm proud of so far. The first three are from the second day, and the last is from today.

>> No.4289821
File: 116 KB, 1032x774, figdraw1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289820

>> No.4289823
File: 141 KB, 774x1032, figdraw2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289821

>> No.4289824
File: 132 KB, 774x1032, figdraw3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289823
got bigger paper so this one is drawn larger than the others.

>> No.4289827
File: 18 KB, 738x415, chad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289795
you forgot your gigachad dude

>> No.4289861

>>4289778
I was being honest faggot fuck you.

>> No.4289873

what exactly does proper practice look like? I was thinking alternating between things like loomis heads and then just drawing whatever I feel like

>> No.4289879
File: 2.28 MB, 4032x3024, 548C8910-AE0F-471B-8E4E-E41FD45D4329.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4287982
I’m working on gesture and breaking up the human body into shapes and all. This is my second one from imagination. Proportions are off but it’s just to get the general feel for the human body. I could use a lot of help with gesture in general particularly with the torso, I’m kinda taking from Hampton a bit

>> No.4289880

>>4289879
Fuck it’s sideways again. Welp

>> No.4289886

First time on /ic, jesus what a shitshow. especially this thread, fucking amazing to read the over-the-top rage over doodles.

>> No.4289910
File: 142 KB, 600x800, photo4936185276431182127(1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey /beg/, I've done a little loomis and now I'm trying to get a feel for figures by copying from references.

Is this a good way to practice? Is there something I'm missing?

>> No.4289921
File: 123 KB, 601x800, photo4936185276431182131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

also, I'm trying to 'get' shading done in perspective, but its not quite coming out right.

pic related.

>> No.4289925

>>4289910
Are you constructing first? The top 3 infer you're not
Sight sizing without construction is gonna give you a lot of incorrect proportions & you won't learn much at all
Build a solid, proportional foundation & build upon it with references.

>> No.4289929

why is posting on this godforsaken board so FUCKING hard i always get error

>> No.4289941

>>4289595
okay

>> No.4289964

how do i fix the fact that i can imagine drawing everything perfectly but when my hands move they troll me and i end fucking up worse than the asuka anon

>> No.4289982

>>4289446
>>4289425
>>4289418
>>4289387
Your criticism boils down to "dude it looks bad to me lol". If you cant point what specifically is wrong (the angle of arm, thickness of a certain part, etc) then your criticism is literally worthless you mouthbreathing beg retard
Now pyw or never post here again

>> No.4289987

>>4289964
Asuka poster can draw things properly he just posts bad content here to bait reatrds

>> No.4289996

>>4289925
Not for these, no. Then again, I'm also pretty bad at sight sizing too.

I think I'll go over these and do the construction for them.

Thank you!

>> No.4290008
File: 1.30 MB, 1668x2388, img.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can I get some advice on how to improve my attempt at construction (apart from the messy lines)

>> No.4290012
File: 430 KB, 2388x1668, Pt2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290008
Also this

>> No.4290032
File: 688 KB, 1078x862, bf109 gf stretch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288443
Understandable. Still deciding what livery I want on her.
>>4289041
Lol nothing really, I only like older warbirds.
>>4289043
One day.
Been having some trouble finding time to draw but decided to say fuck it and did some line-art. I'm going to try developing the lineweight some tomorrow, or fix anything Anons may find wrong in here. Also wasnt able to get around to putting some detail into some areas, so do keep that in mind. Sorry for making such slow progress.

>> No.4290058

>>4290008
This is nice but try using circles and cylinders a bit more especially in the thighs,arms, and the head

>> No.4290062

>>4289044
You have to be a man, disgusting tranny, nothing sickens me more than filthy troons talking about female anatomy

>> No.4290102

>>4290058
Thank you. I haven’t gotten to the cylinder lessons yet but I’ll incorporate them once I do

>> No.4290107
File: 64 KB, 550x576, 12345649846468.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/beg/ has been infested by demoralization faggots

their most common targets are animefags and pornfags

reminder that if someone tells you to "study fundies" or something like that, without giving any detailed criticism, you should ignore them. They want you to feel like you're never good enough to draw what you want to draw

>> No.4290109

>>4290102
Out of curiosity, what lessons are you referring to? I’m working on dividing the human body into shapes as well and am interested

>> No.4290121

>>4290109
https://mega.nz/#F!RIx3TJxJ!_Nna8t01kPxENJ8KSzXqwg!EUJHgKAZ
I’ve been using this

>> No.4290128

>>4290121
Thank you! Finding new resources everyday on here

>> No.4290132

Hampton’s approach to Gesture is so much.. I’m really considering just dropping his and taking another because there’s no reason I should be spending months on gesture...

>> No.4290135
File: 249 KB, 582x1799, Hamptons gesture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290132
What's your problem with it? I found Hampton's approach to gesture is the easiest there is and much more comprehensible than others

>> No.4290142

>>4290135
I have the book and I guess I just don’t know how to apply all of the concepts mentioned such as the center of gravity. Something that’s really been tripping me up is how to use the lines. I’m not sure how to use treating lines or asymmetrical lines in my gesture, that’s what’s mainly frustrating me. Any help is appreciated

>> No.4290143

>>4290135
Not gonna lie that picture is much more understandable than the book in my opinion, thanks

>> No.4290154
File: 601 KB, 1080x784, Screenshot_20200102-195213_Gallery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been trying out copper work and enameling. First try is a wonky lotus!

>> No.4290156

>>4290142
Keep practicing, it took me about 100 gestures until I finally "got" it

>> No.4290211

>>4290142
What the vilppu video on gesture linked in the mega

>> No.4290220

>>4287982
If I'm doing draw a box, would it be acceptable for me to dive into construction via some of the suggested pdfs etc at the same time or should I just keep at the basics?

i'm not in any way confident but I feel an urge to take on a little more, do I heed it or focus on one thing at a time?

I read that multi-tasking leads to poor long term retention

>> No.4290342
File: 299 KB, 510x759, planes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the best way to learn the planes of the head?
Is the book Drawing the heads and hands from Loomis fine?

>> No.4290344

>>4290342
Asaro head

>> No.4290355
File: 561 KB, 1564x1000, 1540228484302.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290344
Asaro head is a meme.

>> No.4290371

>>4290342
any book you like is fine. if you learn from loomis your drawings might look a little vintage for a while (at least thats what happened to me) but the more you draw the better it'll look. someone also posted a nice study in draw thread >>4286653 if i can recommend anything, using black and white refs and squinting your eyes might be helpful to find the simplified shapes

>> No.4290372

>>4290355
When watching these planes I feel like the planes of the head from the Loomis book seem kind of incomplete or not enough.
>>4290371
Thanks.

>> No.4290376

>>4290154
Don't know much about copper work, but it looks nice.

>> No.4290377
File: 204 KB, 800x742, 77363498_525519251510772_1865880097148370944_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4287982
what think?

>> No.4290378
File: 194 KB, 1600x984, 219C0882-1A69-4AB6-A7AD-E5E688F3DAF4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290355
Keep telling yourself that...

>> No.4290379
File: 153 KB, 800x600, 79003049_2805202459545713_6138034335053250560_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290377

>> No.4290382
File: 246 KB, 768x960, 79098650_10207379359840420_2724585325388103680_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290379

>> No.4290383
File: 28 KB, 311x315, 112.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289417
Guys, can you help me detecting my errors drawing le manga face??
This is my second try

>> No.4290385
File: 2.09 MB, 3474x3816, dont delay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290377

>> No.4290388
File: 2.15 MB, 3492x3343, land 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290385

>> No.4290389

>>4290383
You're drawing flat, not describing the form of the head.

>> No.4290390
File: 2.83 MB, 4672x3504, land 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290379
please critique please

>> No.4290397
File: 353 KB, 837x1000, D7FD7AE3-63F1-46A3-9605-5AABAF9F09C1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i know i have some cleaning up do with the rendering but how is everything else. trying to keep this as a quick study so i dont dump too much time into because i have fucktons of unfinished stuff piled up

>> No.4290400
File: 3.02 MB, 4672x3504, land 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290397
reeeeeeeeeeeee

>> No.4290404

>>4290389
L'ho disegnato con il tool di simmetria di photoshop, forse è questa la causa del mio "disegnare piatto"? O intendi che devo aggiungere dei dettagli tipo colore, ombre e cose simili?

>> No.4290405

>>4290389
>>4290404
Sorry for the bad translation, here is the right text:
I designed it with the photoshop symmetry tool, maybe this is the cause of my "flat drawing"? Or do you mean I have to add details like color, shadows and the like?

>> No.4290407
File: 1.42 MB, 942x571, download.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289285
>>4288966
If you are on the red, commit Sudoku as soon as possible.

>> No.4290410

die incel

>> No.4290413

>>4290389
How would one depict depth without shading? I'm not talking about the hair but the face itself. A square-base pyramid will look identical to a square when viewed from above without shading or lighting.

>> No.4290425
File: 126 KB, 546x740, Capture876868.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4288966
>>4288875
Are these shapes basic enough?

>> No.4290431
File: 1.08 MB, 2592x1944, lUEtuQx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290407
Pristine pussy is the best

>> No.4290432
File: 44 KB, 635x691, dbph.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290413
by using contour lines, when you look at loomis heads they have these vertical and horizontal lines wrapped around them (the "cross" in the middle of the ball), thats how you make an illusion of 3d form in the early stages of sketching; also check out picrel

>> No.4290433

>>4290431
Amen, brother.

>> No.4290434

>>4290397
Show your real work next time. We don't need you patronizing us.

>> No.4290435
File: 239 KB, 600x708, 1559962116758.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone got a good ref displaying how fat accumulates on the head or body?

>> No.4290456

>>4290431
that's just some gay dude pulling at their scrotum to make a fold isn't int

>> No.4290499

>>4290431
That's a man

>> No.4290504
File: 436 KB, 1024x768, aKdp9cu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290456
>>4290499
look at these faggots. Your minds have been decimated.

>> No.4290513

>>4290456
>>4290499

Imagine not knowing. LOL. I'll do you a solid and let you know that it is in fact a woman.

>> No.4290520
File: 195 KB, 768x1000, ni.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm stuck, I haven't been able to figure out a good working system. Like once I have got to the flats like pic related, I have no idea how to proceed. Do I do shadows first, lighting first, and how, multiply everything and erase the lighted parts or do the opposite, or how else? There's a million ways to go about it, but I haven't been able to figure one I'm comfortable with, any suggestions? How do you do it?

>> No.4290536

>>4288218
yeah but composition is the most important in the end, because you can draw like shit but if your comic "feels" right the quality of the art dont really matter, there is a lot of examples of that in the manga world, in the western side i don't know much.

>>4288948
is fine just improve the lines to make then more appealing

>>4289473
is all fucked up, there are styles that are very slim and large out there but when you do it you have to keep the balance of the body and even a consistency in some basic construction.
I suggest at least try to learn the basics right, because is more easy, and only then move out to other body types

>>4289517
is fine but do it like if was learning the basics, is more fast that way: body from the front, side, divide in grid, later basic angles, then basic poses, then focus in the head, then clothes, then all. If don't then you are just trying to figure out by luck, or you could try to make gesture drawing and make those new shapes.

>> No.4290546

>>4289783
>those lines
>you should study anatomy
He must learn to crawl before walking

>> No.4290549

>>4290520
first cover the area with the most dominant color in it. "shadows" and "light parts" will be just another colors that you will add later on top of it
thats like common sense dude

>> No.4290554

>>4290549
?????

>> No.4290555

>>4289542
They dont help if you're not doing every line in a single stroke. Every ellipse in a single stroke. Digital or traditional, this is to teach you muscle memory for drawing. Making multiple passes and not learning from past mistakes is hurting you

>> No.4290576

>>4289542
Did you even watch the video?
Watch it again, that's not how you are supposed to do it.

>> No.4290582

>>4290520
do any of them an try, don't be lazy if you don't have one favorite

>> No.4290600
File: 207 KB, 635x845, dude.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is the perspective ok?

>> No.4290611

>>4290554
what part did you not understand

>> No.4290616

>>4290513
kek cope more fag, we all know you tugged yerself a good one to the arse of a bloke

>> No.4290696
File: 72 KB, 745x446, 1545348679557.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290425
That's a lot of roast beef.

>> No.4290776

>>4290342
Loomis to Reilly to Asaro

>> No.4290782

>>4289820
>>4289821
>>4289823
>>4289824
Anyone have any tips for gesture drawing? Some things you wish you knew before you started?

>> No.4290801
File: 88 KB, 743x840, flow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290782
i wish i knew you shouldnt build snowmen around your gestures

>> No.4290818

>>4290782
see
>>4290135

>> No.4290847

>>4290801
>>4290818
Thanks, that's very helpful

>> No.4290852
File: 103 KB, 800x1280, Screenshot_20200104-142948.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4289035
So I can't afford his course or manual, here is something I worked on after watching a quick video of his process on youtube

>>4290432
I have trouble keeping these lines in the same perspective. Is that just practice?

>> No.4290855
File: 256 KB, 800x1280, Screenshot_20200104-143116.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4290852
Ref

>> No.4290940

im having a tough time understanding where to place shadows/how to draw them, any good advice outside of peter han dynamic sketching?

>> No.4290944
File: 141 KB, 816x775, loomis heads.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been practicing these loomis heads and I want to know if i'm on the right track. Is there anything I should look out for before I end up screwing myself over? So far I realised i pretty much screwed up the first 4 heads and misjudged the chin position on the 6th head, but im not sure if I messed up anything on the 7th or 8th head. Any advice before I continue on?

>> No.4290963

>>4290944
draw bigger

>> No.4291056
File: 116 KB, 866x1323, New Canvas2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you think?

>> No.4291068

>>4291056
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rope&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=stool&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

>> No.4291073

Ok so I'm trying to start with this Dynamic Sketching course do I really need to go out and buy all these fucking pens and brown paper?

>> No.4291120

disclaimer that I'm aware SAI is just babbys first sketching tool
How the fuck do I get smoother lines in Sai? Do I really have to work at 10,000 x 10,000?
And second, is it possible to properly scale down an image from 10,000x10,000 in sai itself or do you have to use an external program?

>> No.4291163
File: 712 KB, 1090x591, hEAD BRO.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i have decided to study heads because i have 0 experience drawing heads this month so i'm studying the planes of the face is it fine ? here is some brow studies first thing i noticed perspective is fucked in most of them any thing else? also are these good references to study the planes from some of them are kinda hard to fine the planes because of the light.

>> No.4291200

>>4288126
Based, rare to have a family member take that much interest.

>> No.4291250
File: 276 KB, 2000x1646, 30 Minute study.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm trying to paint in paint tool sai. Anyone know anything that can help. Also is drawing and cell shading a better way to color and sculpting a waste of time, or is sculpting in sai applicable?

>> No.4291256

>>4291163
Where do you get the refs?

>> No.4291263

>>4291256
Pinterest

>> No.4291475

new

>>>>4291470
>>4291470
>>4291470

>> No.4291891
File: 2.36 MB, 1264x1524, ic need help.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am having trouble giving the planes of my face proper shading.
I don't know how sharp my core shadows are, or where to put them.
I know where the bones and muscles are located, and I can roughly understand what the head looks like in perspective.
I want to know where I can read up and study the details of the face, and how light hits the different muscle groups, which I already know the location of. I also wonder if there are other details in the face I am missing out on.
I don't want to just study portraits because I want to be able to draw and shade faces from imagination. I want to know in depth about the anatomy of the face and how it is lit.

>> No.4292154
File: 1.52 MB, 1236x704, howdoidodis.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can't figure out the form of the chest on this picture at all, can someone help me?

>> No.4293427

>>4291891
You should honestly work on placing parts of the face first before you worry about shading. Loomis should fix most of the errors. Your lips are too small, eyes aren't spaced right, nose dominates the face while being in the wrong position, etc. Draw from more references to get a feel of how the structure of the face should be and where to place certain items.