[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 233 KB, 406x432, Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 9.57.47 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4198748 No.4198748 [Reply] [Original]

Is it rude to post a comment or critic in English if you are commenting on a piece of art by a non-English speaker? should you just use google translate instead?
IS it rude to critic art by children? If so how old does someone need to be before they are fair game?

>> No.4198809

If the platform in which the art is being shared is mostly english speaking then critique in english, and the way i see it if a kid is presenting his work to an adult audience they must get ready to recieve critique as if they were adults

>> No.4198812

>>4198809
Unless you're like their dad or some shit but i assume that wasn't what you meant

>> No.4198871

>>4198748
It’s rude to comment on any piece that is better than anything you’ve been able to produce

>> No.4199004

>>4198748
Critiquing art without invitation is rude regardless of language or age, not unlike walking up to random strangers and admonishing the way they dress.

Save your need to validate your insightfulness for the critique threads.

>> No.4199084

What can I do to let everyone know critique is fine because I'm not a pussy faggot who wants to be surrounded by yes men?

>> No.4199146

>>4198748
>Is it rude to post a comment or critic in English if you are commenting on a piece of art by a non-English speaker?
If you two don't speak the same language don't bother
Tho I have a follower who probably doesn't speak much english so he just uses emojis
>should you just use google translate instead?
That'll just make things worse, machine translation always feels wrong
>IS it rude to critic art by children? If so how old does someone need to be before they are fair game?
is rude if they just draw for fun, if they have set art as their path be kind and guide them slowly.

>> No.4199215

>>4199084
Ask for it?

>> No.4199236
File: 24 KB, 456x310, 1455076714022.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4198748
It sort of feels a bit autistic to crit the art of random strangers on the internet. It's a bit expected on places like /ic/, newgrounds, or deviantart but there's just something off when you do it on twitter or instagram

>> No.4199239

>>4198748
Would not critique at all in either situation unless the person specifically asked for it. This board however is an exception because it IS a critique board, so it goes without
asking.

Non-english: English commments are fine as long as you keep it simple enough.
On twitter specifically, do not quote retweet to make comments. Just comment directly on the image. And going further, if it's a JP artist, don't go "like" too many of their posts. They often block foreigners and overbearing people due to fear of stalking (which is a common problem). Quote retweeting is rude because it's usually used to talk shit about an image without notifying the original poster. That's why, if they see a qrt and its in a language they don't understand, they'll have to assume it's negative.

Children: Honestly I don't know why you would even bother because chances are they won't retain anything. Pretty much don't at all unless they ask for it, or are horribly misguided about becoming an artist. You'll still be rude but it'll save the kid. I don't think there's a specific age but I don't find it wise to interact with anyone below 18 online in general.

>> No.4199277
File: 10 KB, 373x373, 1558880984926.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NEVER USE TRANSLATORS YOU FUCKING MONGREL

DO YOU KNOW WHY PEOPLE STILL GET PAID TO TRANSLATE THINGS?
BECAUSE A MACHINE CAN'T FUCKING DO IT

THAT'S LIKE YOU ASKING IF YOU SHOULD SAVE ALL YOUR DRAWINGS IN JPG 20% AND 400X400 PIXELS
ONCE YOU CONVERT IT AND SAVE, THERE IS NO GOING BACK

IF YOU LOVE YOUR JAPANESE ARTISTS SO MUCH, EITHER LEARN THE JAPONGO OR POST IT IN ENGLISH AND LET THEM USE THE TRANSLATOR TO INTERPRET WHAT YOU SAID. THERE'S A FUCKING "TRANSLATE THIS" BUTTON ON SOCIAL MEDIA BELOW EVERY POST, DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO USE THAT BUTTON'S RESULT AS YOUR DEFAULT TEXT?

GOD I FUCKING HATE DUMB EOPS SO MUCH

>> No.4199379

>>4199277
>LEARN THE JAPONGO
Kek

>> No.4199457
File: 616 KB, 244x156, 1547777559046.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4198748
for /int/ research their specific comment etiquette or social culture (I'm pretty sure its not a big deal though)

As for giving critique to children, absolutely. Kids are hyper-sensitive, but I'm sure there's a chunk of them out there that'll be enthused to learn how to get good and start drilling those Rightside of the brain books right away. If you're worried about being "too mean" put in the positive aspects first (eg "you're drawing a lot, being dedicated is really good keep it up!" "You have good creativity,") kids love that shit. Also if they're that young, focus on telling them how to improve and leave out 'what they did wrong', you can tell them general but important tips like how to learn, encouraging to read as much reference books as they can etc.
Reminder that even art schools or classes tend to be shit (unless you go to an atelier) and will never mention symbol drawing or even never heard of the term before. If you teach a kid about the most important fundamental (seeing) they'll have a massive start compared to other casuals who watch shit tier youtube tutorials like Jazza.

>> No.4199557
File: 677 KB, 360x203, FUCKING KEK.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4199277
>>4199379
>LEARN THE JAPONGO

>> No.4199560
File: 40 KB, 378x396, 1546884932132.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4198871

>> No.4199598

In general, if people want critique they’ll seek it. If it’s a friend, it might be appropriate to give friendly advice, but you still don’t want it to sound negative.

As far as kids go, I can’t really see any motivation for unsolicited critique. The most important thing for them is that they enjoy it and stay motivated. Wouldn’t recommend talking to kids in general if it’s not a family member or a friend’s kid.