[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 246 KB, 1485x2317, 1570862315262.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4164854 No.4164854 [Reply] [Original]

Whether or not you subscribe to the view that "everyone can learn" to draw, it's pretty obviously that some people ARE born with an advantage. There are documented cases of small children producing good art without any training whatsoever, and clearly without having grinded the fundies for 10 years at only 3 years old.

So lets discuss this seriously for a change. Why are some people born with a talent for art while others are not? Is it genetics, random chance, or something else?

>> No.4164856

>>4164854
It's definitely a genetic thing, that's why Asians are more talented at the arts than Whites.

>> No.4164857

>>4164854

Offering livestock and harvest to the gods or good karma from their previous lives.

>> No.4164859

>>4164854

I was born with an advantage
Always could draw better than my peers

Of course I never received any professional training or AT LEAST constructive critique, I never left /beg/ and then lost interest
And now I'm 23 years old and have to start almost from scratch
At least now I can see the flaws in my drawings

>> No.4164860

>>4164854
Stop with this meme, even Kim Jong gi when interviewed said he just built his visual library like everybody else.

Photographic memory blah blah blah never produce artists you hear about. Art (popular or not) is a learned skill and a passion.

>> No.4164861

>>4164854
tony hawks was born with a talent for skateboarding, it just happens anon, there is no rime or reason behind it, some people are just naturally better than others at stuff but it doesn't mean with hardwork they can't be surpassed they may have had a head start but doesn't mean they are going to win the race

>> No.4164862

>>4164854
my theory is aliens came down and started meddling. they inserted something into the onions, and what do asians like more than anything? onions sauce. next time you see kim gi in person, ask him what brand onions sauce he consumes, i think this is key. as for the aliens we can only hope that they decide to take a liking to something us westerners like to consume, like hollywood cinema or video games, and insert the chemical for art into it.

>> No.4164864

im being censored, i wrote onions, not onions. censorship is proof of how close to the truth i am.

>> No.4164867

>>4164864
newfag

>> No.4164872

>>4164864
onions senpai cuck

>> No.4164876

>>4164856
It's not FUCKING FAIR

>> No.4164891

>>4164854
BEGONE FATPOSTER! WE DO NOT WANT YOUR TROLL SHIT HERE!

>> No.4165177

>>4164856
Why do people keep saying asian when they mean japan and korea only

>> No.4165210

>>4164854
Not to defend OP's 'talent is real' thing, but the main tenants of NGMI aren't neroplasticty or race, but more being a personality thing. Its just being stupid that makes you NGMI. that person who asks in the art discord how to draw hands instead of googling it isnt going to make it far. The dude who falls for all the meme advice, shade with purple/just draw, isnt getting far either. The dude who's philosophy is just Ill wait for an art tutorial to apear in my feed and not look out for help is a NGMI. The dude who cant self reflect and just makes "something looks wrong and i cant tellllll" whine posts is a NGMI. The good part is that they can change it, but that menas they have to change their underlying personality
Also when you're good at art when your young it's a 'lucking into it' thing. They just drew a lot and found a random sketch that looked good and stuck with it. Good young artists cant make more dynamic stuff, but by shit flinging to see what sticks they can make a decent portrait. Young artist (like instagram teenagers) who draw dynamic all have the ability to analyze the world around them and think about what they're doing.

>> No.4165213

>>4165210
Also im not saying "just draw" in the IC way, but in the discord way. When they say just draw they mean they think drawing is like rpg leveling up. They think by just drawing their same oc over and over and not touching fundamentals they can make it.

>> No.4165291

>>4165213
lmao fucking what?
People like this exist?
Sad...

>> No.4165298

>>4164854
A lot of artists parrot the phrase "you are not that guy so don't compare yourself to him" so people think it's a meme.
It always strikes me when I read books from centuries ago, when academicism and "technique" were the only way to make art, that have a word of warning in the preface, to never forget your sensibilities when worrying about technique. It's strange because one's idea of academicism is so extremely rigid, you would never imagine someone of the caliber of Sorolla say
>"This preoccupation with technique, at the expense of truth and sincerity, is the principal fault I find in much of the work of modern painters."
And maybe Sorolla's excellence wouldn't have existed without that focus on truth and sincerity. This is not a meme concept that was invented by expressionists, none of the great artists ever wanted to be a drawing machine. How is it even possible to love art to total obsession without putting all of your soul into it?
Technical skill isn't even specific enough to mean anything, but let's imagine it's something absurd and impossible like
>the ability to capture or invent reality perfectly as you please at its most truthful and essential
>the ability to always make the perfect mark without error
>infinite visual vocabulary and manipulation of forms and knowledge
>the impossible achievement of being so good at making beautiful drawings that personal taste in stylistic choices doesn't even account for
What if you just draw capeshit with it? Ok it's perfectly drawn and it makes Caravaggio look like /beg/, but it's Batman punching the Joker. I hate capeshit. This art means nothing to me and no matter how impossibly well this is drawn, I will think it's trash.
What does it even mean to be good at art? A lot of people here love to hate those celebrity xerox artists but they seem to be stuck in a mindset that is literally one inch away from that.

>> No.4165302

>>4165177
>not the Chinese
Sakimichan is the best please