[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 641 KB, 2000x3000, Lightning.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4147066 No.4147066 [Reply] [Original]

Hi Guys!. I really want to get better at comic book style art and I need some critique. Load the salt cannon and blast away. I can take it.

>> No.4147067

why would you want to waste ur time with a dying medium?

>> No.4147073

I want to illustrate my books in comic style.

>> No.4147075

>>4147066
> I can take it.

Not gonna lie my dude, you're barely past /beg/.

> face (eyes, nose, mouth) is fucked
> no skull, hair is coming out the top
> anatomy of arms, wrists, thighs, knees is bad
> perspective on gun is wrong
> at least finish the piece first

Go back to /beg/, grab a video course on portraits and anatomy, and study.

inb4 "that's just my style". No.

>> No.4147078

Thanks!

>> No.4147201

>>4147067
How is it dying?

>> No.4147208

>>4147201
MCU is big, but comics are still a niche market. Combined with the rise of piracy, rising prices with lowering pages, and comic storea closing.

>> No.4147485
File: 814 KB, 1940x1376, This was published.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4147201
The only people making money in comics are old legends like Jim Lee or those faggots with youtube channels.
All the indie companies are dying, stores closing all the time and Marvel has to jack up prices because they chased all their customers away with sjw nonsense.

Manga is starting to take over so fuck comics.

>> No.4147683

>>4147485
>>4147208
Comics have been "dying" for 30 years yet they never seem to die and in fact the industry seems to be more popular, diverse (in material, companies, and outlets), and successful the ever.

Also manga and comics are the same fucking thing.

Stupid faggots

>> No.4147691

>>4147683
>industry seems to be more popular
the sales don't reflect that, in fact the sales charts have been trending down for a while now even with the price hikes.

and no manga and comics are not the same.

>> No.4147696

>>4147691
The sales don't include digital, you dumb fuck. And they don't include online publishing platforms like webtoon.

And yes they are, look at how many companies are thriving beyond just marvel and DC, even small rinky dink bottom shit companies like Antarctic Press are doing well.

>and no manga and comics are not the same.
How aren't they, you dumb fucking weeb?

>> No.4147704

>>4147696
>digital sales
You still cling to this meme?
Jim Lee already crushed that bs.
https://www.comicsbeat.com/changes-at-dc-comics-a-promotion-for-javins-questions-for-didio-and-lee/
>But I think it’s discouraging in general because everyone talks about digital being the future. If there’s anything that should continue to grow year-in, year-out, it should be that channel. The fact that it’s kind of plateaued and we’ve hit a wall speaks to a lot of different things.

>look at how many companies are thriving
Literally who?
The only "companies" that are thriving are 1 man shows who contract people to work on their own projects.
>Antarctic Press
They said in the Meyer v Waid court documents that the company has been operating at a loss for years.

Manga sales rising while US Comics sales going down the shitter. "Its ok somehow this helps US companies"
fucking cope

>> No.4147721

>>4147704

First, that's just DC, that's not the entire industry (I notice you conveniently ignored webtoon and it's I'll which get millions of readers)

Once again you stupid faggot, manga and comics are the same fucking thing.

And what do you suggest OP should do? Try to work in Japan doing "manga" because there's some arbitrary imaginary difference between the two? Are you retarded?

>> No.4147733

>>4147721
>conveniently ignored webtoon
Because I'm mostly talking about the traditional comic companies, not sure how much webtoon people make but last I heard the ad revenue is crap so you gotta go with merch and Patreon/crowdfunding even then its hard because Webtoon readers burn through a lot of content and when they hit a paywall are most likely to read the dozens of other stories they skimmed over while browsing.

>what do you suggest OP should do
I suggest not to be too concerned with the Comics style, be a 1 man show and not get into bed with a company thats gonna take your stuff then throw you out.

>> No.4147897

>>4147485
This is only true of course if you think the only money in comics comes from the comics themselves.

There are plenty of artists working in the comic industry who do not draw monthly comics but still make a living through their art.

Don't be cynical and discourage people who might make something great. You're on an art improvement board and are wasting time decrying the efforts of others.

>> No.4148180
File: 1.26 MB, 1438x1250, tothmagic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If OP is still here:
Draw from life, like get a pocket notebook and draw people you see on the street, doesn't matter it doesn't come out perfect or a complete drawing, this will teach you gesture and how to see like an artist.
Also study artists you like, both as gestures and copies of their work, doing it with photos is good too but photos can't replace doing it form real life.
Do you have any other doubts?

>> No.4148492

I have been drawing for pretty much all of my free time. I think it averages around 5 hours a day every day for past 7 months and this is as far as I managed to get . There is always this nagging thought if I should be even doing this.

>> No.4148506

>>4147066
OP I recommend not trying to hatch for the time being, focus on making your drawings look solid without any shading. You understand that the hatching goes across volumes which is good, but your basic statement of those volumes needs work.
Always try to use reference as a loose guide for the time being, because you still need to develop a visual library. Practice drawing from life so your poses look more loose and natural, go on posespace and croquiscafe every day and follow Bridgman's books and Vilppu's videos because they will benefit you the most for comics.

>> No.4148966

>>4148492
That si okay but you need substance, that is what practicing with a purpose is meant to give you.

>> No.4150508

Cumbrain