[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 934 KB, 3840x2160, Collage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4144818 No.4144818 [Reply] [Original]

I wrote a lengthy brain dump but then accidentally deleted it, whoops.

Anyway, ill concise what I wrote (i dont)

1, tips for digital. (Photoshop and adobe animate) can be a link

2. as someone whos drew 90% pencil/ charcoal I find it hard to jump into other territories, discussion of how you draw and recommendations are greatly appreciated

3. equipment currently got £1000 saved up and about £300 a month (im 18) I've purchased a low-end Wacom tablet which has some usage but mostly I get infuriated with software. (am currently reading Richard Williams, Animators survival kit) and am interested mostly in digital drawing and animation. any recommendation to books and links specific to this will be greatly appreciated

4. and most broad, lifestyle changes, anything to improve my motive for drawing in general. I will list some issues im currently encountering and about myself in general;
Little connection to people in the creative industry, Introverted (arent we all here), male, anime/manga interest (i know its a meme thing but whatever), motivation issues in the home environment (would love to improve), vidya game, mostly typical things from there
Now as I've stated, this is a first-time post so im likely to have slaughtered some grounds in formality, but time will tell, and whether or not I come back here, thanks Hammyfeu if you would like to dm instead on discord or such,
Here: (Hammyfeu#0154). Not sure if I come off as privileged and not expecting a huge response but *shrug* why not. Image is generally things I want to highlight, feel free to critique, as you can tell I mostly botch work on finer details and color

My goal is to either make it into the game design or animation industry and im applying for a university in a year (since local laws have allowed the government to pay a large percentage of university fees if I follow through with the course)
Can post higher-res images if requested, not sure how often ill check back but not expecting too much

>> No.4144825
File: 68 KB, 679x960, 1568301194220.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. Nobody cares, literally no one

2. No one will read your shitty blog post

3. You're /beg/ as fuck, kind of embarassing and cringy to be quite
honest - your art immediately makes me think of an autistic neckbeard who has never left home in the past 10 years

4. don't expect to be spoonfed - and you don't even give a clear of idea for why you're posting this thread other than to blogpost

5. use the fucking catalog you asshole, there's threads for this

either stop posting here forever and never pick up a pencil again, or hang yourself - either way the world will be a better place

>> No.4144828

>>4144825
Bump for harsh responses

>> No.4144829

>>4144818
That's two years? Jesus... Do you have any other hobbies?

>> No.4144838

I've got a nature that makes people hate me easily, but I do want to improve, although I understand I've got to tolerate people hating me even if i cant see a purpose

>> No.4144841

my vision of reality and work in the creative field is honestly very vague, thats why ill love to find methods to improve to that goal

>> No.4144847

what the fuck is this thread even about? learn english first

>> No.4144848

And i get its gonna be cringy that im reply to myself multiple times but im human, and i do still have a sense of pride. am i good at drawing, no, thats why im here. I understand if you hate seing anime and art being linked together, 3 years from now ill probably have little interest in anime, i just dont want to have an office like job and work a job i enjoy. but i will thank you (since i dunno how to link) for the harsh treatment

>> No.4144850

Guess it was a mistake. welp time to carry on living my life as if nothing happened (and lol sorry for being autistic in writing, barely got a C in English)

>> No.4144854

Man, I gotta start doing charcoal studies on lined paper. The idea fills me with such uncharacteristic anger that it surely must have artistic merit.

>> No.4144858

>>4144847
Found out how to respond, the thread is about any advice and critiquing as im going into digital drawing

>> No.4144860

>>4144854
Is it possible if i can see some of your work?

>> No.4144914 [DELETED] 

>>4144818
you're at ground zero, literally just start fundementals (perspective, anatomy, gesture), draw a lot, study artists you like and try to do similar stuff to learn from them (more so after you get your fundies down), get critiques to help you improve, that's it. If all that is too hard to stick to just start drawing for awhile and make it a habit first.

>> No.4144918

>>4144818 (OP)
you're at ground zero, literally just start fundementals (perspective, anatomy, gesture), draw a lot, study artists you like and try to do similar stuff to learn from them (more so after you get your fundies down), get critiques to help you improve, that's it. If all that is too hard to stick to just start drawing for awhile and make it a habit first.

>> No.4144920

L

>> No.4144929

I'm you're but you lack any sort of talent in art if that's your progress after 2 years. Pick something else up. I'm 100% serious.

>> No.4144932

>>4144929
I'm sorry*

>> No.4144940

>>4144918
Thanks, will take a look into perspective anatomy and gesture specifically, unsure whether or not ill post it here but it helps

>> No.4144949

>>4144929
It's a *hobby sorta, im just starting to think of actually studying specifically for it. as everything I've done is with no knowledge or youtube. Im obviously insecure about this but i appreciate your concern for me, ive got to start learning the basics as stated from >>4144818 (OP) and then i can try and produce something actually worthy

>> No.4144957

I was doing a college Diploma on media 2 years ago and started drawing from time to time just for self-satisfaction so thats why theres little improvement. im just hoping that in the next year period i can prepare enough to see if i can study either game design or animation in a university. Im just hoping for now. But ive still got my diploma for media to fall back on!

>> No.4144976
File: 80 KB, 243x247, a15.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4144818
https://mega.nz/#F!RIx3TJxJ!_Nna8t01kPxENJ8KSzXqwg!EUJHgKAZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
https://mega.nz/#F!GBky0DiT!hHuLcYGyLVnmFaNUmZXi6Q
https://mega.nz/#F!14RzyQ5B!TURyI11C337JDijjZ-DzqQ

These resources will help you more than anything else posted in this thread. Go through these and their artbooks (Vilppu Drawing Manual by Glenn Vilppu & Dynamic Bible by Peter Han) Also go through Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Ralph Norling & Figure Drawing: Design and Invention by Michael Hampton. Learn your fundies. You'll only have yourself to blame for not reading the material. Now fuck off, faggot.

>> No.4144978

>>4144818
Don't listen to this retard >>4144929

Make no mistake, your art sucks shit, but that's okay, you CAN get better.
You have to work hard, and really study. Consult the sticky for what direction to start off.

>> No.4145038

Replying from phone
Thank OP for resources will take them to heart now I disappear. Hopefully to improve. Im just assuming calling everyone you meet a faggot is just the four chan way. But seriously I am way over my head but this is some serious help I was not expecting to get. Faggot ( did I do it mom?)

>> No.4145106

Well am retarded meant To thank 4144976, mobile layout confused tf out of me. No more
anime for me

>> No.4145128

>>4144957
>But ive still got my diploma for media to fall back on!
Niiice, so if everything fails you can at least get a nice and cozy McDonalds job with that totally not useless meme degree.

>> No.4145165

>>4144818
What the fuck

>> No.4145182

You should try changing, how you "practice" art
Try learning from others and ... In the future you will develop your own style, that's yours only...unless ofc..they imitate you

>> No.4145448

>>4144818
Illustration student here. Read your post. I'll give you some tips and insight when I come back from work tonight. Are you from the UK?

>> No.4145472
File: 30 KB, 450x450, c43.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread from start to finish is great

>> No.4145971

>>4144818
>>4145448
Alright, here we go.

1. YouTube; Search for "Introduction into Photoshop"/ "Photoshop Beginner Turorial" etc.
The most important thing is to get an overview regarding the program layout. Once you have a basic understanding about how the tools and layers function, you can search for more specific things, like animating in Photoshop or illustration process videos. I don't know what art schools you want to attend, but most illustration/ design/ animation courses will have PS introduction courses within the first year.

2. This is really up to you. Since you seem to enjoy more stylized artwork, I'd highly recommend investing in some fineliners, a small selection of alcohol based markers and a brush pen. If you want to get into painting acrylics are probably the easiest to learn and overall cheapest option. Watercolor is also great, especially for urban sketching, but also for coloring pencil sketches or even ink drawings.

3. I started with a basic Wacom tablet as well and I wouldn't spend any more money into digital supplies for now, especially since your goal is to get accepted into an art school, where they normally expect an analog portfolio. Thus I'd recommend investing in a small (!!!) selection of art supplies. Set yourself a budget, but I wouldn't recommend spending more than 50-100£ for now; It will only lead to an overwhelming amount of supplies. Select a few you are interested in.

Buying art supplies isn't easy. Everyone has their own preferences and budget. I highly suggest you go to a local art supply store and look through their selection, trying out pens if possible to see what suits you. It doesn't hurt to ask the employees either.
Here is a selection of tools I personally really enjoy working with; Like I said, it's highly subjective and its just supplies I personally like to use -

(CONT.)

>> No.4145976
File: 45 KB, 707x748, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Need high res uncensored version of this

/ic/ is a red board so nsfw is allowed

I wanna see them titties

>> No.4145984

>>4145971
(CONT.)

Fineliners: Rothring (0.1, 0.3, 0.5)
Brush Pens: Pentel Brush Pen*
Markers: Copic (12er Set)**
Water Color: Schmincke
Blue Col Erase Pencil
White Gel Pen
Sketchbook***

*If you want something cheaper, I can recommend the Sakura Pigma. If you plan on using markers or watercolor with you might want to go with the Copic Brush Pen

**There are cheaper markers out there that might suffice, but I honestly have not tried them yet. Personally I'd recommend getting a 12er Set of a color scheme of your liking.

***Stay away from Moleskine or Leuchtturm. They are overpriced as fuck and don't make up in quality for that. Select a paper depending on your medium. For me that normally means a relatively thick drawing paper that allows for use of water color, as well as pencil sketching.

4. Now, this is something I can't help you much with. Art is a journey and you have to make your own experiences. Some tips, though:

1. Visit a local community college life drawing course; additionally practice figure drawing at home, using sites like line-of-action, or YouTube Channels such as NewMastersAcademy or CroquisCafé. If you want to draw and animate characters, basics in figure drawing are very important. A good introduction would also be Proko's figure drawing course on YT - he basically breaks down a lot of material into understandable chunks. He references teachers like Loomis, Hampton, Vlippu, Bammes and Bridgman. I can really recommend Hampton's Book "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention" for that matter. It certainly shouldn't be your first step into it, but it helped me improve greately.

2. Draw from life. Keep a sketchbook and draw a lot from life! Try to carefully look and measure the proportions, angles and negative spaces of your subject. Drawing is observing and recalling. The same goes for drawing anime from references. Seeing your drawings it becomes very clear that you don't look closely enough. Try to understand what you are drawing. Take your time.

>> No.4145996

>>4145984
2. (CONT.) Also if you feel confident in measuring from life, I can highly recommend Peter Han for a more lose approach that is more based in constructional drawing. His course is called "Dynamic Sketching".

3. Visit the schools you're applying to! If you'd submit a portfolio with the subjects in OP, you will get rejected. You need to go deeper into the subject matter and depict something that truely interests/impacts/moves you. Get some professional feedback.

And that's all for now. I hope that wasn't too overwhelming. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Good luck and I hope you'll be successful in your endevours!

>> No.4146003

Holy fuck. Diddnt expect people to get more helpful. Gonna close down thread when I finish in 4 hours (because I cringe hard at my writing)

>> No.4146220

Thanks again (heavily) will screencap for further review and actually keep the thread up for>>4145976 (btw i quickly had to redraw cuz I let the charcoal smudge too much). Thanks specifically to these posts as>>4145984,>>4145996,>>4145971,>>4144976,>>4144918.

>> No.4146305

>>4145472
Glad you find this thread (or my autism (not literally)) entertaining

>>4145128
Big ouch

>>4145448
Love to talk, its complicated where I live, Its an island called Jersey (channel islands) just below the UK and above France. But otherwise im heading into

>> No.4146345

>>4145976
Dont expect much, also not gonna be drawing anything anime for a while as the ongoing meme on this thread is pretty much Anime ≠ Art, which is true for people like myself

>> No.4146348
File: 603 KB, 608x894, Lol weed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fucked up posting image in the last reply

>> No.4146365

>>4146348
I was thinking about jerking off. After seeing this I've decided to do something more productive instead. Thanks.

>> No.4146381

>>4146365
Well good. Why would you jerk off to this garbage when theres tons of better shit

>> No.4146385
File: 69 KB, 492x640, 70a.png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4144957
I mean this in the nicest possible way...are you autistic? You don't seem be aware of how basic your art is. This lack of self-awareness is nearly as bad as Chris-Chan's.

I really beleive that anyone can improve with practice, but you will not be able to reach a college level in one year. Keep drawing as a hobby and finish your degree.

>> No.4146402

>>4146385
Thanks, my drawings are very basic (thats why im here), already finished diploma and not applying is something im prepared for, i legit could be autistic. but fuck it i dunno. This is a pipe dream essentially im going for, just a couple of months will tell whether or not i want to apply depending on how much i learn and my confidence in drawing. Thanks for legitimate concern

>> No.4146424
File: 113 KB, 349x349, 1534884433756.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck is going on in this thread lmao

>> No.4146433

Get fucked.

>> No.4146491

>>4146402
> just a couple of months will tell whether or not i want to apply depending on how much i learn and my confidence in drawing

I'm telling you right now that you will not make it in any sort of art school, let alone animation or character design. You don't seem to understand that to get to a college level from where you are would take ten years at best. Your complete lack of self awareness makes me certain that you are autistic. You should get evaluated for autism by a psychologist.

>> No.4146986

>>4146348
Nice, gonna fap to this. Congrats on your first coomfan OP

>> No.4146999
File: 108 KB, 316x490, 1539552010118.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP is one of those pedos who instead of accepting it prefer to hide behind a taste furry.

You are incapable of connecting to other people due to your severe autism and Pokemon are the way you found to pretend to feel emotion.

>> No.4147080

>>4146491
I'm legit going to a psychologist soon anyway. So I'll find out then. Either way can't blame myself for being autstic. Will still study but I'm now becoming more lenient to keeping drawing as a hobby, thanks?

>> No.4147111

>>4146999
Couldn't have said it better.