[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.21 MB, 1272x711, unknown.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4129988 No.4129988 [Reply] [Original]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnZxhj7QOmk

Where were you while watercolor grandpa was sick anon? Playing minecraft?
He's been getting shit numbers on his watercolor basics while you were fapping to your anime girls.

>> No.4130004

>>4129988
poor guy

>> No.4130013

>oh my low views and 400k subscribers not giving me money YouTube is cancer to the art community.

>> No.4130026

>>4129988
I'll be completely honest, this guy gives me the creeps. Big time. While he's talking I can't help but think about the woman tied up in his basement being fed microwaved neighborhood cats.
He's probably a sweet man but I can't shake that feeling off.

>> No.4130034

>>4130026
do you think if he painted them he'd get a boost in his views ?

>> No.4130044

>>4130034
Special tier on Patreon

>> No.4130080

>>4130026
This is some serious projection, I don't want to carelessly throw around terms like that but there's just no reason for it. Maybe you innately mistrust grandfatherly figures because they are often portrayed as secretly evil in fiction or trauma tainted your perception

>> No.4130102
File: 330 KB, 834x582, vagabond.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4129988
After watching the full thing I think you can boil down what he says to

1) He's been ill and it made him wonder how much longer he can keep working, he's 72 and the finish line is in sight
2) After looking at the numbers he came to the conclusion that out of his video subjects, his absolute beginner videos are watched repeatedly by a small number of people but that might skew what it looks like people want to learn, leaving out the rest of the viewer-base who'd prefer other painting subjects
3) He always gets positive commentary but he wants to hear harsh criticism from people who like his things the least, to make things people want to watch and learn from the most

Grandpa is having some doubts, says himself he knows it's whiny but wants to hear hot opinions to set him straight. I don't know if he'll get that sort of thing unless he starts posting here

>> No.4130106

>>4129988
im still subbed to him, i just cant watch him without full attention because the subtitles are required. and really short videos are no good to eat a meal to. so his stuff just sits there in the feed unwatched usually.

>> No.4130108

>>4130080
>This is some serious projection
I was exaggerating for laughs, I don't actually picture him being a serial killer. But if nobody else feels creeped out you must be right. People who smile wide a lot make me wary, I get a danger feeling like they're manipulative sociopaths.

>> No.4130112

>>4130102
>wants to hear hot opinions to set him straight.
can he handle it? he apologised recently for his videos not being able to produce perfect artists out of his viewers, or something.
im reminded of the japanese twitter peeps that seppuku their english translations at the first sign of critique.

>> No.4130130

>>4130102
The reason why he's not popular boil down to his public
1) there are dozens of channels by chinese watercolorists making step by step paintings like that, often way stronger in technique so /beg/s feel attracted to those
2) just step by step is hard to monetize by itself unless you are trying to pitch a course or workshop to whales
3) his content's main pull is pseudo Japanese ASMR, but he's not a woman
Even Bob Ross is popular because he's a meme. If he started today he would be about as popular as this guy. It's not his fault.

>> No.4130163

>>4130108
>I get a danger feeling like they're manipulative sociopaths.
That Anon you're responding to was refreshingly cautious as well as correct. A manipulative sociopath smiled to disarm you and took advantage of you, leaving you with a lifelong distrust of jovial old men.

>> No.4130184

>>4130163
>leaving you with a lifelong distrust of jovial old men.
CURSE YOU, SANTA

>> No.4130205
File: 401 KB, 1798x1018, watercolorchannel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4130102
I don't think averaging about 20-30k views for the beginner video lessons are that bad. And the videos always have a lot of comments and engagement from fans. I think he might be getting a little too obsessed with numbers.

>>4130130
I think it can also be because the subject matter of his paintings might not be the most interesting to getting new viewers. There's a reason why artists who love making landscapes or scenery often put a random cute animu girl in the middle or some kind of "copyrighted" character(s) to turn it into fanart.

>> No.4130232

>>4130130
I think those are good points, he might not fully understand how any channel is just a droplet in an ocean and views can be erratic and the public uncaring. If certain subjects receive less attention than others and his views drop that doesn't mean he did a bad job. He's like an incredibly conscientious teacher that worries himself sick over whether he's favoring one student over the others. He's not cynical enough, but I'm not sure I'd even want him to be

>> No.4130254

>>4130232
I feel really bad for saying that he's creepy, but even if he is not creepy, his videos' presentation looks very very artificial. Those Jap TV style overlays and thumbnails look so cheap, maybe he's doing this because he thinks he's supposed to do it and not because he's fake? Even the sad thumbnail in the OP looks phony.
I think his channel might grow with just more natural looking thumbnails. Imagine clicking on James Gurney's channel if every video's thumbnail had his grinning mug on it. One element of Gurney's channel is how organic, handmade and casual everything looks, and it's a deliberate choice for sure.
Someone should try to find a way to tell him that, it would be a shame if he were downgrading his content for something so petty.

>> No.4130307

>>4129988
This is retarded
Don't advertise aggressively on insta/twit ofc you have no numbers

>> No.4130313

>>4129988
i subscribed some months ago and let the notifications pop up on my desktop but never gave him another watch... damn gramps :pensive:

>> No.4130318

>>4129988
So for NGMI is going to be like that if we make it?

Are we living in a post art society?
Do we need bobs and vagen to compete?
Should I become an accountant instead?
Better yet get a sinecure with the gov?

>> No.4130326

>>4130313
Felt really bad subscribing but never watching his videos, and then this caught my eye.

>> No.4130333

He needs to just do more paintings he enjoys with whatever commentary just comes to him. Don't give a fuck about the viewers, just do your art for the sake of the art and record it for posterity, not for views or teaching random begs.

>> No.4130352
File: 290 KB, 1081x541, gurney channel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4130254
I didn't know about Gurney, his videos seem very helpful. So I don't want to trash talk him, but it appears recently he also has his share of grinning mugs. Shibasaki's fonts and thumbnail images could definitely be less tacky. I don't know whether cosmetic changes will help this old man's existential fears though. Just the emerging discrepancy between subscribers vs viewers made him question his competence as a teacher and wonder if he's just tooting his own horn.

In the days where Bob Ross was filming his series for TV this whole internet numbers game didn't exist yet, and he'd get handwritten letters from fans. It's still TV, but maybe even that was more personal and fulfilling than the chaos and confusion of the internet.

>> No.4130386

>>4130318
How many 70 year old grandpas have successful youtube channels, fagface. It’s not a vagina problem, most of the artists and art channels discussed here aren’t women. Even bland and terrible artists like Jazza have had success on the platform.

>> No.4130391

Shibasaki needs to take care of his health first, if doing videos for youtube is too much for him, his case is very serious

>> No.4130410

this boomer doesn't understand how gen x and z works
his kids should tell him zoomers subscribe on a whim and forget the channel even exists the day later

>> No.4130419

>>4130386
Why is popularity such a chimera? Why is it all or nothing? And anyway the problem is monetizing those followers. How does Jazza make money? Ads?
I'd be okay with 100 followers if I could get just enough money to live, if you have thousands of followers the majority is not engaged anyway.

>> No.4130430

>>4130026
That sounds awfully specific.

>> No.4130440

>>4130419
>How does Jazza make money? Ads?
merch

>> No.4130451
File: 75 KB, 736x1080, tptasOn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4130440
I looked it up. People buy this shit? It's the merch equivalent of that poster with the cat.

>> No.4130481

>>4130451
his fans are children

>> No.4130495
File: 35 KB, 551x551, 1563679492649.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4129988
Oh no, hes one of the most wholesome things to ever happen to youtube, godspeed

>> No.4130511

>>4130013
Zeurel (the guy who animates those Stimpesque Vinesauce animations) was on a rant yesterday on how YouTube moved to rewarding low-effort content.

>> No.4130594

This is not so bad. But I always feel bad for artists or other 'creators" who trying to do shit but they have low as fuck views/patrons despite having good content.

>> No.4131149

>>4129988

I've been studying Gouache. I like Shibasaki's content but I don't know if I have the right mindset to Watercolor. It took me a long time to accept that Gouache might be a better fit for me.

You can blame James Gurney.

>> No.4131244

>>4131149
youtube needs more gouache people. preferably ones that dont shill arteza over and over.

>> No.4131246

>>4129988
How the fuck did you get this to trend, OP?

>> No.4131339

>>4130205
>I think it can also be because the subject matter of his paintings might not be the most interesting to getting new viewers. There's a reason why artists who love making landscapes or scenery often put a random cute animu girl in the middle or some kind of "copyrighted" character(s) to turn it into fanart.
This. No anime tiddies, no interest.

>> No.4131363

>>4131339
Art careers at this point in time boil down to
>shit that isn't art e.g. anime tiddies, money laundering, pushing an agenda, sucking someone's cock, advertising art supplies, etc.
>rapid-fire shitting out variations of a hammerhead shark soldier / cartoony character that always looks like the same blobby potato, aimed at 12-17 y/o kids with ADD
>look how good I am at making this hammerhead shark soldier / cartoony thing, I can teach you this
And actual artists aka
>remember my art you liked 10 years ago? here's more of it that looks exactly the same with little to no variation, pls buy art book / print / painting

>> No.4131381
File: 19 KB, 400x400, 1565847918922.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4131363
blame the system forcing everyone to seek money and sociopaths for being fully enabled and encouraged.

>> No.4131392

>>4131381
Money and sociopaths always existed. I think it's just the internet and 8 billion people being too many.
Either way it's pretty shit. It doesn't even matter if your content is good or not.

>> No.4131405
File: 155 KB, 496x655, acceptance.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4131392
>Money and socios have always existed
Not really but i get your point.
Social media and the internet are part of the system now and in just less than a decade it further accelerated the corruption of things.
And it matters if your stuff is good or not.
Don't let that mindset control you. It's just an excuse to stay bad and point the finger without looking at the own reflection.
I mean, it's just easier to attract people with things that are easily digestible like:
>fanart
>nsfw
>plain anime girls
That's the current zeitgeist
If you want to change that, do art because it means something to you, convince others to follow you by doing art you care about.
And accept that you may never rise to relevance.
Art is not a realistic career.
As an artist, you are already dead. Communicate through your art with the living world.

>> No.4131425

>>4131405
>And it matters if your stuff is good or not.
Only if you want to sell your technical skill in drawing
>Don't let that mindset control you. It's just an excuse to stay bad and point the finger without looking at the own reflection.
I've been drawing long enough. Its not an excuse, it's an acknowledgement.
>do art because it means something to you, convince others to follow you by doing art you care about.
I don't believe it can be done anymore.
>Communicate through your art with the living world.
If there's nobody to communicate to, why even do it?

>> No.4131431
File: 343 KB, 998x1000, ArigatouMonkey.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4131425
>Only if you want to sell your technical skill in drawing
It's a lot of variables. Appeal, composition and emotion play a big role.
You can draw me the coolest, well designed robot, but if it's just standing there, doing absolutely nothing then of course i'll get quickly bored by it.
>Its not an excuse, it's an acknowledgement.
Fair enough. Yet you're letting that narrow your view.
>I don't believe it can be done anymore.
You need to try. Many people will be looking at your artwork and maybe you won't get any instant reaction, but if your stuff is genuine you're playing the long game.
>If there's nobody to communicate to, why even do it?
The world is full of people. And who are you talking to right now? I'm also a real person. At least i think i am.
Just let it out. What's the point of having a mouth but not scream with it?

>> No.4131433

>>4131425
alright we get it, you're a ngmi so go do something else already and stop wasting your time

>> No.4131444

>>4131431
>You can draw me the coolest, well designed robot, but if it's just standing there, doing absolutely nothing then of course i'll get quickly bored by it.
this is false, most popular art today says nothing and has no narrative to it
>>4131431
>You need to try. Many people will be looking at your artwork and maybe you won't get any instant reaction, but if your stuff is genuine you're playing the long game.
How long is the long game? I've been playing for more than 5 years
>>4131433
yeah it's all bullshit anyway

>> No.4131458
File: 233 KB, 699x1000, shiz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4131444
>this is false, most popular art today says nothing and has no narrative to it
Relative. Most people have shit shallow taste, that is why popular things are the most "soulless" of things. They're supposed to be the equivalent of fast food.
>How long is the long game?
Accept that you may never rise to relevance.
Fame is a side effect of being the exception to the rule.
All the biggest artist were considered failure until after their deaths. Mostly because of money and selling their artwork as a unique piece. But as i said before, blame the game.
Or play by your own rules and establish them.
Telling yourself it's all meaningless may be factual but the universe won't magically give you what you want because you think you deserve it.
Do what you need to do and what you want to do.
If you don't want to draw, so be it.
Don't complain if nobody notices you if you don't put yourself out there and do not make the effort.

>> No.4131477

>>4131458
What do you mean by relevancy? I don't care about money, I don't even want a big audience, it's just that putting your art online and getting nothing, absolutely nothing back but a bunch of likes is stupid. What is even the point of doing this? Nobody even comments, you get no connection, nothing human. Just likes. It's unbearable, I don't understand how people think this is ok to post art like this
>>4131458
>Don't complain if nobody notices you if you don't put yourself out there and do not make the effort.
How is years of effort not trying?
No point in this discussion, it's like talking to a customer support bot

>> No.4131480

>>4131444
>this is false, most popular art today says nothing and has no narrative to it
Emotional connection is more important than narrative. Narrative can make you feel that, but its not the only way to evoke an emotional response

>> No.4131484

>>4131480
>Emotional connection
Yeah aka a boner
How can you say bullshit like this straight faced idk most art says nothing at all or is extremely shallow

>> No.4131490
File: 288 KB, 1000x875, nanisore.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4131477
>What do you mean by relevancy?
It means it heavily depends on a lot of variables.
>I don't even want a big audience
>Nobody even comments, you get no connection, nothing human. Just likes. It's unbearable
Are you yourself trying to actively make a connection?
>No point in this discussion, it's like talking to a customer support bot
Ouch. I'm not a fucking genie either, Anon. All i can do is give you another perspective, not make your desires a reality.
If you don't want to help yourself, it's your own fault.

>> No.4131503

>>4131477
You're talking about art as just something you do to try to bring attention to yourself and get pats on your back. No wonder you have such a pathetic mindset about it and no one cares about your art. This is the definition of soulless.

>> No.4131506

>>4130108
you’re watching too much anime senpai

>> No.4131512

>>4131503
>I want to have people to connect to and I don't like this numbers game
>You just want attention
You know I don't wanna argue about this but I have when people don't even try to understand shit and just parrot the same stupid shit to feel superior

>> No.4131532
File: 583 KB, 750x1000, flamersnek.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4131512
So, you hate it people are reading you like a book but want people to actually bow down to your whining and tell your how special you are while giving your art unearned praise because then you can boost your own ego by bragging about how many numbers you got because you believe you deserve everything you want?
This explains why you're not doing good in the social media game. You're hella insecure and lash out at others for pointing out your faults because some strangers won't give your an insta-fix-for-everything, like a spoiled brat. Try again when your head's out of your butt.
If you want your insta-fix: Quit art. It's not for you.

>> No.4131537

>>4131363
>tfw actually really did hammerhead shark for inktober because had no idea for one of the prompt
S-sorry anon for tarnishing art. I commit the sudoku nao.

>> No.4131575

>>4131425
>I don't believe it can be done anymore.
you are wrong. there are people out there that will like something youve done, the odds are there. think of all the stuff you dont like that others do.

>> No.4131676

>>4131532
>because then you can boost your own ego by bragging about how many numbers you got
I said twice already that I don't care about numbers anymore but you insist that I want to brag about numbers because you are stuck in your own narrative and you are not even reading the posts. Back in the early days of the internet you could so very easily connect with other people who shared similar tastes and make art that even just a few people liked. I shouldn't even explain this thing that used to be natural. Now if you post art you just get likes. If your art isn't popular you get zero likes. If your art is popular you get a lot of likes. This is all there is. It's just numbers. I managed to get in touch with people when I was terrible at art, now it feels like being on a desert island and every now and then someone sends me a message in a bottle. I have no idea how artists can be OK with this situation, this system promotes people that look down on their followers and are only interested in money and popularity.
Maybe this is more of a general rant on the state of the internet but I've never felt so isolated in my life.

>> No.4131702

>>4130130
>3) his content's main pull is pseudo Japanese ASMR, but he's not a woman
How the fuck is that relevant to him not being popular enough?

>> No.4131892

>>4131702
Art channels fall in a few categories. This channel's main strength is "Japanese" and "relaxing" but most people who look for relaxing Japanese videos with voiceover look for females.

This is conjecture but the more I look at this the more I think it's the production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HNHDRN3qeQ
That little intro music is off, isn't it? That DUH DUH DUH sounds modern, like a talk show or how to make cocktails. This is painting. Should be something like a few piano keys and BLINGGGGG that sounds like comfy watercolor. He puts some 60s slow music as a background to the video; music is a double edged sword, if it's not something that falls in the background it's not good unless the content is fast paced. Especially when his main pull is the Japan element, so his voiceover should stand out. If he wanted to put some music on he should go for something more atmospheric that is very faint. I think that's how you package a watercolor video about painting a barn.
Another thing that would add to his videos is talking about the subject he paints. He says "I want to paint this Japanese barn" and I thought "what is it that makes it Japanese", if he added a bit of narration about, idk, the history of the barn, or Japanese barns, that would add some depth to the video.
Of course I'm not in the position to give advice since I don't have a YT channel but it would be interesting to understand why this guy can't do anything with this many subscribers and how to fix it.

>> No.4131895
File: 1.24 MB, 1254x659, meandtheboiz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4131676
Good. You put effort into this communication and you're making yourself understood.
>I have no idea how artists can be OK with this situation
Maybe others think exactly like that but are too afraid to open up and be ignored, because that is what usually happens?
Or because some people are so focused on themselves all they do is bait for attention?
There are a lot of factors in play and a lot of shit people around the internet that make the situation worse.
If you're not ok with the situation, change it. Interact with people and never take it personally, whenever someone doesn't respond.
>Maybe this is more of a general rant on the state of the internet but I've never felt so isolated in my life.
Deal with it, it ain't going to get any easier.

>> No.4131898

he's really good.
his watercolor portraits are top notch.

he speaks japanese which keeps a lot of people from watching.

>> No.4131934

>>4129988
There's a cultural divide between him and his viewers. His western audience is mostly people like "that's so pretty, I can't even draw a stick man", they don't watch his videos for education, they watch it to relax (like how so many people watch Bob Ross but don't paint with him). And he as a Japanese teacher, expects his viewers to be his students, he feels disrespected when his students don't want to learn.

>> No.4131977

>>4130112
>seppuku their english translations at the first sign of critique.
Fucking MM although that was technically an annoying /beg/ tier gnat annoying her it was still similar enough to cause the problem to OP