[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 847 KB, 1920x2212, igor-catto-tra-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4091774 No.4091774 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone else feel this way?

I love art but hate drawing 2d, 3d can always be reused, can be turned into an interactive medium etc. Should I give up on 2d? I heard that it takes being a good 2d artist to be good at 3d.

>> No.4091781

>>4091774
you dont need to be good at drawing to sculpt well. it helps with concept a ton but whoever told you that is a dum dum

if you want to do 3d then do 3d, if you dont like 2d then dont do 2d.

>> No.4091785

>>4091774
>I love art but hate drawing 2d
then you don't love art.

Also 3d is not really art.

>> No.4091789

>>4091774
Go to >>>/3/

>> No.4091793

They work off of each other. If you understand how to create an appealing character/object/environment, that skill will translate into sculpting, the only difference is learning how to extrapolate that idea into a 3d form. Plus, if you're good at designing, you can always bust out quick thumbnails or designs that would otherwise take longer to do in 3d.

>> No.4091800

>>4091774
There's many other artists that used to think that way and as they learned more about what drawing actually is changed their views. If you're not sure about this maybe you should read some books on the subject. I watched a video recently where an artist expressed having the exact same feeling you describe, and he thought 3d was simply superior. But as he understood that drawing isn't just about making lines, but about the ability to project and perceive a 3d space on a 2d surface, and how that improves your overall ability to manipulate things both 2 and 3 dimensional, he changed his mind. Give it some time and mull things over as you keep working

>> No.4091987

>>4091774
>it takes being a good 2d artist to be good at 3d

This is true. But this also is too broad of expression. Good FX guy don't need to know anything from art department to make a pretty explosion, apart from 3 point lighting to light it for portfolio. He does not need even that to light it realistically for a shot.

But if you actually want to express something, all that knowledge of composition, colors, value, focal point etc etc. comes from traditional art. All of it.

So it takes a "artist" to be "3d artist" yes. It does not take one to be a 3d guy (not saying it is bad or anything).

Second. You have a pink glasses on about this, let me clarify this for you: 3d is not an art job. It is hard grind, many many hours of work that no one will see or appreciate. The only artsy job that usee 3d in full force (not counting doing texture for a gun and knowing some color theory kinda stuff) is concept artist. Look Jama Jurabaev. Also notice that he draws and paints very well, and he learned that before 3d. That's why his 3d works end up good, he using all theory from traditional art for them.

Decide what you want. And don't say "i want to do 3d" because this is not how it works. No one "wants" to do accounting, no one "wants" to do 3d, those are means. Decide what you want in the end theoretically. Do you want to be famous? do you want to wageslave? Do you want people coming to you with a print for signature? because you are lost right now.

t.3d artist kinda guy

>> No.4092692

>>4091785
Man, 3D inferior to 2D in same scale as 2D inferior to 1D. Do you even 1D? What about a 0D? What you know about it? I can draw in 0D all day every day. Like thinking about drawings, moving quantic neuro synaptic signals in my head. It's beautyful.

>> No.4092708
File: 230 KB, 700x518, baity bait.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4091785
>Also 3d is not really art.
You are seriously not even trying anymore Anon

>> No.4092731

I'd say be focused on 3D but don't stop drawing. Learn to appreciate the process, overcoming obstacles and solving problems. Maybe starting some course will help you get this enjoyment. 2D is important staple for sculptors, but from my experience they are usually not as good visual artists. Treat it more like a tool, I believe having different abilities and experiences will pay off in the longer run and push your work further.

>> No.4093086

You can do 3d without 2d,but doing both makes you pretty solid!
>>4091785
Wrong, it's another form of art.
>>4092731
REAL tips.

>> No.4095684

>>4091785
>3d is not really art.
This.

>> No.4095995
File: 220 KB, 887x526, 1557759213274.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm kind of like that except I think 2d art is more appealing, but the sculpting and retopo in 3d is really fun and I want to do that over drawing on paper.

>> No.4095996

do 3D models then trace it and sell the 2d result

>> No.4096326
File: 1.12 MB, 3263x4613, front.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

2D is a dying art.

Nobody is ever going to hire you if you just have stellar drawing skills and top tier anatomy knowledge. That's usually assumed.

Look at Kim Jung Gi. Nobody even comes close to what he can do yet he turned his skill in a circus act to make money. You won't see an anime based on his style, or a game based on his style.

The studios don't care how well you can reproduce images from your head. They care about appeal of characters, having the ability to mimic any style possible,and knowing the technical side of things.

The visual medium is like constructing buildings. There's only one opening for the architect but thousands of jobs for the construction workers and engineers.

>Should I give up on 2d? I heard that it takes being a good 2d artist to be good at 3d.

3D artists all started as 2D artists. You need to develop the mind of a 2D artist in order to fully grasp the aestehtic of anything.

>> No.4097103

>>4096326
>3D artists all started as 2D artists.
this is true for me as well. Did you make this btw, looks good is it rendered in zbrush NPR? could you share your blog/twitter?

>> No.4097272

>>4091785
its as much of an art form as any other.

>> No.4097310

>>4096326
drawing , painting and sculpting will never die, these art forms have been alive for thousands of years, they won't die.

>> No.4097447
File: 1018 KB, 3263x4613, back.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4097310

The discussion is about 2D art specifically. Because of computers a professional 2D artist 10 years ago is a mediocre artist now. People spent years sculpting perfect statues. Now it takes about 2 months (easy mode) and a 3D printer to do any sort of sculpture you desire in any sort of medium you desire.

The reality of the matter is that in 2019 if your portfolio solely consists of the Sistine Chapel, no studio will bother with you. Etsy is still an alternative, though.

This is what happens to all professions btw. A doctor in the 18th century is seen as a crackpot now.

Oh, and don't imagine that if you're a 3D artist you're all set. Now studios expect you to be able to do some light coding as well.

>>4097103
Yes, I made that. I'm a 2D artist whose hopes of someday becoming a great comic book artist were shattered by what you can achieve with clever 3D shading, Photoshop actions, and the fact that nobody really knows or cares who the hell Kim Jung Gi is except for his peers.

I don't have a blog. It was rendered in Daz Studio.

>> No.4097481

>>4097447
Yeah a lot of shit can by cheated by tracing 3d models, filters and technology BUT a real artist with knowledge of fundamentals and vision will shine because machine can't imitate artistic choices. No offense but you can see this in your pic. But the point is that good artist that can use these "cheats" efficiently will be better than average one using them.
Sadly comics are tough as fuck industry and to keep it profitable you mostly have to trace.
Idk what kjg has to do with that, most of people are not interested in art so why should they give a shit, but he's well known in the art community

>> No.4097603

>>4097481
>BUT a real artist with knowledge of fundamentals and vision will shine because machine can't imitate artistic choices

Yes, I agree with that. Art needs to evoke a pleasant emotion in the viewer. This is why 3D art is not art per se, it can only be qualified as art if the viewer likes what he sees and desires more. Learning 2D will teach you how to make something appealing but nowadays just that alone doesn't make the cut.

I'm using KJG as the epitome of a 2D illustrator. The hoi polloi have no idea who he is and when they come across his art they go "oh, that's nice". But if they see some big tittied cutesy cat-girl then everyone loses their mind.

So pure skill in one area doesn't cut it, you need an edge.

>> No.4097619

How would i get jnto 3D art?

>> No.4097629

>>4097603
>3D art cannot evoke emotion
>the general public loses their mind over cat girls with big tits as if its not a niche
you're completely delusional

>> No.4097639

>>4097447
>b-b-but you can't possibly be successful if you're not a 3D render monkey for a studio! Not even Kim Jung Gi!
lol you're just an ignorant faggot coping

>nobody knows or cares about Kim Jung Gi
Despite him having 1m+ followers on instagram, constantly getting paid just to let people watch him draw a large piece, and consistently selling out overpriced artbooks every year. Name one digital sculptor with that kind of popularity.

>> No.4097642

>>4097603
I'm >>4097481 and I agree with >>4097629, I think you spend too much time coming up with theories based on your weird impressions

>> No.4097778

>>4097629
> >3D art cannot evoke emotion

Never said that. I specifically defined what makes 3D art art.

> >the general public loses their mind over cat girls with big tits as if its not a niche

Patreon exists, I suggest you should check it out.

>>4097639
>Despite him having 1m+ followers on instagram, constantly getting paid just to let people watch him draw a large piece, and consistently selling out overpriced artbooks every year. Name one digital sculptor with that kind of popularity.

Outshone by some instagram cat-girl that sells toilet water.

You don't understand how ignorant the general public is, and what sells and what doesn't. Furthermore I pointed out he had to turn his skill in a circus act to get recognition.

Maybe try reading my entire post next time?

>Name one digital sculptor with that kind of popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrawWithJazza

He's not even a mediocre artist let alone even close to KJG.

Posted in june, 2 MILLION views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NDEgdvCTos

Posted in june, 17k views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Om7dXdeHDo

>>4097642

I'm sorry but looking at numbers is not "a theory". It's "a fact".

>> No.4097786

>>4092692
Hey...don't knock my 0D mind art..it is beyond your mere comprehension!

>> No.4097803

>>4097639
Because I bet anything your autistic ass is going to point out that that's not a digital sculpture, here's a link to a digital sculpture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bMglW3MRc

Again: Numbers. Do. Not. Lie.

To recapitulate: you want to get a job in the industry then just being just a 2D artist won't cut it.
You want to become famous in the eyes of the general public: turn whatever skill you have in a circus act (preferably in the form of a spastic video with lots of jump-cuts).

>> No.4097825

>>4097603
>Art needs to evoke a pleasant emotion in the viewer. This is why 3D art is not art per se, it can only be qualified as art if the viewer likes what he sees and desires more.

Art needs to evoke a pleasant emotion in the viewer. This is why 2D art is not art per se, it can only be qualified as art if the viewer likes what he sees and desires more.

>> No.4098103

>>4097619
download/pirate zbrush (paid), Maya (paid) and or blender (free) and watch tutorials for them.
>>4097447
>I don't have a blog. It was rendered in Daz Studio.
interesting, I didn't know Daz could do NPR, or did you paint over it? if it's the base render can you share the addon or method you used?

>> No.4100370

>>4091785
based

>> No.4100672

>>4097825
100% agree
ART can be achieved using all sort of mediums but 2D art (which is not to be confused with ART) is the most base form of visual creation and needs to be understood in order to create ART with 3D art.

If you don't know 2Dart and try your hand at 3D art you'll be like a piano player trying to create a song without understanding what a chord or scale is.

>>4098103
>interesting, I didn't know Daz could do NPR, or did you paint over it? if it's the base render can you share the addon or method you used?

It's fully rendered in Daz. No paint-over, just color post-procesing in Photoshop. I have created my own morphs and textures and rig. My purpose was to imitate my own style of 2D in a 3D program. What you see is actually 6 figures in total working in unison to create the effect.

This is why I'm so adamant in learning 2D before understanding 3D. You can't just load a figure and hit render then expect to get a good result.

>> No.4100693

>>4095995
>retopo is fun

really nigger

>> No.4100695

>>4096326

Except that KJG draws comics and is regurarly commissioned to do illustrations which, I assume, pay handsomely. Pick a better example

>> No.4100696

>>4091774
myself start with 2D and after I tried 3D I left 2D only for design purpose.
3D help you solve many problem easily and non-destructive could be edited anytime you want
especially digital sculpting I find Its a lot easier than drawing when you could drag the clay around instead of drawing a line out of blank canvas
And a lot more job available.

>> No.4100708

>>4100695
>draws comics
>regurarly commissioned to do illustrations
>paid handsomely

You're an unemployed artist, aren't you? Oh, sorry, I think the correct PC term is "freelance artist".

>> No.4101637

>>4095684
Nice bait, might take it

>> No.4101877

3D seems alluring at first until you realize just how limited the technology is.

What you can do in 3D is limited to the current paradigm of polygonal and voxel geometry, plus whatever rendering techniques are available on whatever software.

With 2D, you can do whatever the fuck you want.

>> No.4101882

>hurr durr I want to work in the entertainment industry and be an art director's personal bitch

This is why nobody on this board will ever make it.

>> No.4101887
File: 11 KB, 645x773, 1554272765752.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4096326
>why waste your time perfecting an artform thats been around as long as human history that's universally-appreciated by all generations and cultures
>what really matters is making 3D assets for mr noseberg's studio that nobody will connect to you as the artist and then forget about in a few years

>> No.4101888

>>4091774
You just said that you don't know if drawing 2d is necessary for being good at 3d.

This means you're not good
this means you're wasting everyone's time cause you have no idea wtf you're doing

>> No.4102099

>>4101887
>wants to become as famous as the great Renascence painters
>can't name 1 current painter contemporary painter that's at their level (they do exist)
>can't name 1 famous artist that doesn't work for a studio
>wants to work as a janitor because "fame or bust"
>thinks he has the actual skill to "perfect an artform that has been around as long as human history"

Brah...

>> No.4102131
File: 8 KB, 244x206, pobrane.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4091785
/ic/ is not ready for your wisdom.

>> No.4102136

>>4101882
you can be both the director and the artist, can you not?

>> No.4102250

>>4102136
No.
Art director is a managerial position. Most art directors working on big productions can't draw. They just look at concept art and give yay or nay.

Enjoy breaking your back to appease some retard with the artistic taste of a 15 year old on a generic modern military sci fi setting.
Imagine working for this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYbYvImd7Bw

>> No.4102390

>>4102250
>Art director is a managerial position. Most art directors working on big productions can't draw. They just look at concept art and give yay or nay.

Their job is to act as a buffer between the people in charge in the artists. Basically a glorified pigeon position.

A start-up begins with artists, coders, and executives. The more the company grows the more these 3 branch grow apart which gives way to new jobs to facilitate communication.

Officially, yes, they technically have a higher position on the food chain. Practically no because the Lead Artist is friends with the Lead Programmer who is friends with the money guy. When something goes wrong in the art department it's the Art Director who gets blamed.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many jobs out there in the industry which sound like "Bla bla Director"? Nobody wants that job because artists want to be left alone to do their art. There are numerous podcasts out there of industry giants talking shop and the pattern is clear: their job depends on their art whereas the Art Director's job depends on whether the artists are happy or not. Nobody wants to be an Art Director because your art will suffer due to falling behind which means you'll forever be caught in the Art Director job. You won't even be able to downgrade your position to general artist.

This is how I know you guys are unemployed. The same is true for any job.

>> No.4102394

>>4102390
>>4102250
Oh, and a higher position in the company hierarchy does not translate to a higher paycheck. Welcome to reality, freelancers.

>> No.4102543
File: 936 KB, 1475x2212, Peters Lair 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have circumvented the problem by drawing background stuff and recycling it for other panels with minor changes. I call it "2d sculpture "because of the layering of images into the panels. I would go both blind and mad trying to make this level of detail entirely by hand.

>> No.4102682

>>4091774
At first glance I thought that the buckle was clipping through the belt but when zoomed I realized that's just stitching. That's kind of autism working in 3d gives you.

>> No.4102738

>>4091774
a lot of great sculptors on youtube and deviantart also have their paintings displayed and they are almost always absolute fucking garbage. i dont think you need to be good at 2d to be good at 3d, maybe the other way around but definitely not that way.

>> No.4102754

>>4100708

I refuted the claims in the previous post, you did not refute any of mine. Try again.