[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 86 KB, 1270x1417, 1553359623128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4091612 No.4091612 [Reply] [Original]

Is gouache a good beginner painting medium. Can you also recommend some courses or books to read on gouache?

>> No.4091614

Honestly, no. It's hard to mix, dries dark, and doesn't blend. Pretty much anything is more forgiving than goache (besides watercolor).

>> No.4091616

>>4091612
Oils would be better. They take a long time to dry and you could spend weeks layering on paint.

>> No.4091621

Ignore these plebs. Gouache is a good starting medium before you use oil. Get the gouache related courses from the watts dump on cgpeers, its currently open for registratiom. Make sure to check the masters videos in the watts dump too, robert watts has good gouache videos.

>> No.4091628

>>4091614
This isnt even true. The lights dry dark but the darks dry light, thats the only downside to the medium, getting full value range. But even then you have to be beyond student skill to even notice.
You can absolutely blend. You use water and blend edges. You can do this 5 years after if you want because the paint always reactivates.
As far as forgiving you cant fiddle around in the same area when its wet but if you let it dry you can correct mistakes easily.

>> No.4091901

Yes it's excellent for learning color mixing, learning values, and painting in tiles. It's also versatile in how you can use it like watercolor washes or as gouache. I don't really know any good online resources to learn. You can watch some youtube like Gurney and Watts, Watts also has a gouache portrait course that's not bad.

Most tutorials and books on it are crap though. Speak of the devil, Gurney just had a big Q&A vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQO8sHKLMa8

Brands like M Graham, Holbein, Windsor and Newton, Schminke are what I'd recommend for gouache at a price you can find right.

>> No.4091915

Does anyone know where I can find a torrent for Nathan Fowkes gouache course? I downloaded it off of rutracker but shit was dubbed to russian.

>> No.4092769

>>4091915
Maybe cgpeers? Lmk if u find it anon

>> No.4092771

>>4091612
It's a terrible beginner medium for the simple reason that it's expensive as fuck

>> No.4092787

>>4092771
Lol what? What crazy universe do you live in?