[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 107 KB, 250x250, tumblr_n9cpflBdwH1sv6zdro1_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4021465 No.4021465 [Reply] [Original]

i don't know how to improve anymore , i've been copying ref for 1 year and there is no improvement , what can i do to get better ?
do i need to follow 100 tutorials ? do i need to draw 50 hands a day ?
i've been drawing since 2012 and i can only draw anime face it's frustrating

>> No.4021470

post a current drawing and one from a year ago
why the fuck ask for help but post some fucking gif from tumblr. can't help if we can't see what you're fucking up

>> No.4021473

>>4021470
wait a sec

>> No.4021477

>>4021473
It's been a sec you whore

>> No.4021479

>>4021477
sorry my computer is slow i'm almost there

>> No.4021486
File: 911 KB, 3564x4000, DSC00666.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4021465

>> No.4021488
File: 1.65 MB, 6000x4000, DSC00667.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4021470

>> No.4021500

>>4021465
Improving is a meme, you need to be born with natural talent.

>> No.4021501

>>4021500
not a meme , bad artist can become good

>> No.4021503

>>4021501
how exactly?

>> No.4021504

>>4021503
Deliberate study and practice

>> No.4021505

>>4021486
>>4021488
are these from ref, or imagination? I assume the latter. you got a lotta symbol drawing going on, you've associated features of the face with symbols and just use them again and again. I'd actually love to see the references you have been using too, but it's a whatever.
When you reference your real life people, first and foremost - draw what you see. Do not glance at the eye, see that is tilted a certain way or something in particular and then draw the entire eye. Draw a line, evaluate it to the reference, fix if need be, move onto the next. Slowly, methodically and really thinking about it.
I would whole heartedly recommend you get a book (either steal or buy w/e) called Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson. It'll teach you valuable tools you will be able to use and even give you a boost in your work once simple things you hadn't otherwise thought of are bought to light by the book - it also has tasks for you to achieve as you get through the book. I would also recommend an anatomy book - though my specific one might not be for you - so check out the art book and the mega dumps, have a look at them all and see what clicks. Your construction is near meaningless because it lacks shape and form, and is merely a circle and two lines - check out this video on heads specifically for a better method of construction and 3 quality hours of lessons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7cDY7YDsg&
Overall I think your issue is a lack of actual direction. Try to think clever and not just assume it'll all come to you. Study books, videos, masters, practice shapes a whoooole bunch and continue referencing smartly. Just no giving up!

>> No.4021508

>>4021503
>how
i don't know anymore
just go on youtube and see people showing their old sketchbook from 5 or 10 years ago there is improvement .

>> No.4021509

>>4021505
meant to say art book thread.
though, while I'm here. pick something and get drawing. don't get too overly worried with selection or option paralysis. just pick one that looks good, get going, if it don't feel right try someone else.

>> No.4021510

>>4021505
both imagination
i took the rare ones who are not ref
(i think it show my skills like they truly are because ref is not learned skills you just copy what you see)

>> No.4021517

>>4021510
it's important to see where you're at by 'just copying' too. sight sizing isn't particularly a good idea because you lose any underlying construction you could've had and built upon, and thus, have nothing to take with you to your imagination - to a degree.
but it also has proportion issues - something construction is great at fixing, and it creates a visual library, too. something by virtue of symbol drawing doesn't appear to have followed through to imagination, I can only assume.
but yeah give Keys to Drawing a go and get through all the tasks!

>> No.4021521

>>4021505
>you've associated features of the face with symbols and just use them again and again.
spot anon ,this is exactly this TT.TT
>I'd actually love to see the references you have been using too,
i've been referencing basically every good anime art that i saw ( i also referenced movies)
most of them are in sketchbook far away so i can't show them to you
Thanks i'll buy this book and i will follow this 3 hour lessons

>> No.4021863

>>4021465
art is not a grind, art is a puzzle.

How many hours have you spent writing for in your whole life, yet has your writing ever improved? Hours don't improve art, hours only get you used to doing what you're doing. You have to try to improve to get better, but even trying to improve has it's limits. Sometimes you'll randomly make an error that helps you figure something out - but there are limits even to random errors.

You also have to troubleshoot why it is you have trouble with certain parts, and most importantly, you need to expose yourself to the right information - because art is a puzzle you need to figure out. If you're having a lot of trouble, it's usually because you're doing it wrong that it causes so much trouble. If you're doing it wrong, you need to try and figure out what's wrong and try to find the right way to do it using whatever methods you know - that's the name of the game.

To an extent it's luckily being exposed to the right lessons, to an extent random errors will help you find something out, but by and large you gotta be smart and figure it out using your best methods. Running into a wall over and over will only make you hate art, and if that's what art is like for you, I recommend drawing less often until you get wiser.

>> No.4021869

>>4021863
and again, troubleshooting is a great way to figure out whats wrong.

In your case however, it was good that you made this thread. You're not supposed to just use reference - like most things, there are limits to the benefits of using reference, eventually it just isn't that useful to use more reference and you gotta move onto another exercise; although reference is always useful every once in a while.