[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 385 KB, 765x1035, HOW THE FUCK.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3994119 No.3994119 [Reply] [Original]

i've been trying to learn human figure construction, but i keep producing dog shit, and i can see very clearly it's dog shit, i just can't move past it

all the books and videos say, "start with drawing just the basic skeleton in different poses", but i just can't fucking do it!! even the ones that are supposed to just stand normally look absolutely retarded, forget fancy poses

it seems so intuitive to everyone else, but i just can't model 3-dimensional space in my head if my life depended on it. i end up with a gazillion lines on the canvas, to the point where i can't see anything. there's nothing creative about it, i might as well do high school geometry in my spare time

recently i even started learning blender to model basic things, hoping this would improve my spatial reasoning, but when i take up the pencil all i can see is a flat page and i want to scream at it

fuck me, fuck this gay world, fuck jannies, fuck everything!! and fuck you too /ic/ for being so talented!!

is it autism /ic/? what the fuck is wrong with me????

>> No.3994129

>>3994119
Talent exists and not everyone has it.

>> No.3994130

>>3994119
Just give up, anon, it's clearly not for you. Also never drive a car in inhabited areas or operate any kind of heavy machinery

>> No.3994138

>>3994119
Try putting paper over a random flyer or magazine and draw the shapes onto the bodies below to get the feeling of where these shapes are and how they should be drawn.

>> No.3994144

>>3994119
Talent is not real it can't hurt you

>> No.3994150
File: 159 KB, 825x699, Untitled1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here's a recent attempt

the front and side views were traced over a 3d model

the middle one is my attempt to draw it in perspective. i give myself tons of construction lines, but i'm still not "feeling" it, and it's frustrating as hell. there are more lines for specific things, i just made them invisible. if i continue doing this, do you think there will come a point where i can intuit where the next line should go without all the lines?

maybe i should start with simpler shapes?

anons who can draw, can you describe what's going on in your head as you draw? do you know what the final thing is going to look like before you start? or you sort of "go with it"? i saw people who could just start drawing without placing a single construction line, like jumping straight to the details and continuing until it's done, it makes me wanna kill myself 2bh

>> No.3994153

>>3994138
i tried doing that but stopped after a few times, thinking i'm not getting anything out of it. i'll try to do it some more, maybe i'm just being too impatient with this shit

>> No.3994160

>>3994119
Takes time for your brain to process information and get your hand to do what you want. Also takes time to train your eye. Learn basic perspective and draw the basic shapes in perspective daily or bi daily. If you can’t accurately draw what you see then you won’t be able to draw it from imagination either. Side note: Houston’s mannequin is my favourite out of all I’ve seen.

>> No.3994171

>>3994150
i just feel it lol

>> No.3994174
File: 60 KB, 500x505, sketch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3994150
Honestly anon, for a beginner that looks perfectly serviceable. I think you're being a little hard on yourself. Things are tough at first but as you go they'll get easier and easier.

.>the middle one is my attempt to draw it in perspective. i give myself tons of construction lines, but i'm still not "feeling" it, and it's frustrating as hell
It can take a long time before you start to "feel the form." And that's okay. Just keep practicing, the more you do it the more you'll have a sense of how things work.

>maybe i should start with simpler shapes?
You could try studying Hampton, I found his book to be a lot more intuitive personally.

>anons who can draw, can you describe what's going on in your head as you draw? do you know what the final thing is going to look like before you start? or you sort of "go with it"?
I usually only start with an impression of the feeling I want the picture to convey, but few concrete details. Pic related was the first+second passes I did for a drawing I did recently. I basically just drew an even simpler version of an armature, and then started filling out of of the shapes of the arms/legs. I left all the more detailed construction for a later sketch phase once I had an idea of the pose down, as I just wanted to feel things out a little as I figured out where I was going.

>i saw people who could just start drawing without placing a single construction line, like jumping straight to the details and continuing until it's done, it makes me wanna kill myself 2bh
Those people are immensely talented and have probably spent more time drawing than you have spent time living. The biggest difference between them and you is that they have a lot more practice than you, it's not magic, it's just constant learning and study. Very few artists can draw well without any sort of sketching, you shouldn't compare yourself to them at this point.

>> No.3994203

>>3994160
>>3994174
thanks for the advice anons, i really appreciate it. i'm checking out hampton right now, and i'll review norling too. i get so impatient sometimes

i'll keep practicing and see what happens

>> No.3994206

>>3994174
very qt drawing

>> No.3994363

>>3994150
It's okay, it just seems like you don't quite understand how to draw the rib cage and pelvis in 3d

>> No.3994369

>>3994144
So is your dad

>> No.3994370

>>3994129
And it's never recognized until after the fact.

>> No.3994371

>>3994119
was just watching some of those artgerm vids he basically does the same thing but of course with all the practice he can eliminate much of it

>> No.3994393
File: 300 KB, 1412x1995, 0018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you're having trouble with Loomis and Hampton I recomend Hitokaku.

He dials down the difficulty and it's a better starting point IHMO

>> No.3994400

>>3994150
>>3994119

FUCK YOU, OP, just FUCK YOU, what you posted and your blabbering just don't mix.

>> No.3994420

>>3994150
>i saw people who could just start drawing without placing a single construction line
They are actually dping the gesture and construction in the head. They did it millions of times on paper so when they work with ink where you can't erase it looks like magic.
For example, to learn to draw the box in perspective you need to place the vanishing point. If you do it a lot of times you'll start to get the feeling where everything should be wothout guidelines. Imo loomis is way too advanced because it requires to draw the hip not only as an ellipse, but also angles and in perspective. I recommended simplfying the rib cage and hip to simpler shape like a box. Or even simpler in a round shape. Check out Proko's The Bean video.

>> No.3995433

>>3994393
but I cant understand it, do I just copy each drawing in the book? And how often, do you like copy each drawing until you can draw it perfectly

I also feel like op in not knowing how to get better im only imrpoving really slowly

>> No.3995452

>>3994119
i think bridgeman is so much better, because it's so easy to see the forms in his, but i don't know if it's harder to study.

Use a pen to draw so that you can't erase and limit your line count, try drawing a bunch of boxes and build something out of boxes too.

>> No.3995454

>>3995433
you need to actually read the text, it really explains everything.

>> No.3995456

>>3995454
do I need to know jap to learn how to draw

>> No.3995477

>>3994393
>>3995454
>>3995456
quick translation:

"thoroughly look at the flow of how to draw a human figure in ease!

although it isn't hard, art isn't something you can draw today and suddenly improve tomorrow. don't forget that some amount of practice is necessary. the most important aspect is to draw every day and be happy with yourself improving a small amount every time."

in my opinion, just copying each step of the workflow is enough to make yourself learn. as the author suggests, practicing each day like that can really get you far.

>> No.3995479

>>3995477
also my english might be bad so sorry if it doesn't make sense