[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 24 KB, 500x500, sketch-book-canson-100g-m-a5_1_600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3979663 No.3979663 [Reply] [Original]

I bought this a5 sketchbook and i would like to get some tips. I havent been drawing using a pencil or marker for a very long time so i am a beginner at this. Also i am at the stage where i cant draw anything good from imagination, still heavy copy phase. What should i draw in such a sketchbook to boost my skills and have fun with it?

>> No.3979669

>>3979663
Go to sqt/qtddtot

>> No.3979712

>>3979663
careful with your fingerprints, the oils will leave a mark when you try to shade over them.

>> No.3979736

Mistake number one was buying a sketchbook. Now you have expectations to do well, which creates stress when drawing and makes it into a chore. You should have just purchased a pack of white printer paper and a clipboard.

But that's okay. Throw your sketchbook into the dirt, step on it, spill coffee on it, and don't keep it nice. Acknowledge that these drawings won't be pretty, and don't have the expectation that you're going to post to social media for likes.

What do you want to draw? I highly recommend How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way and Anatomy for Fantasy Astists by Glenn Fabry. I rarely see the latter recommended, but I found incredibly helpful when starting out. Good instructions and cool art.

Now get to it!

>> No.3979770

>>3979663
Sketchbooks do not directly have any impact on skill. They're simply one way to organize and store your drawings. What you put in it is the most important part. For the beginning stages, I would buy a ream of cheap copy paper, as you'll have no need to story most of it.
Fun is subjective, and if you need to have your hand held to have fun, art is probably not a good choice for you.

>> No.3979781

>>3979663
i bought a really nice sketchbook and the best thing i ever did was put a really shitty drawing on the first page. its like buying a brand new car and getting the first scratch on it. its gonna happen, just get it over with. (im not telling you to intentionally scratch your car. im just saying have fun driving it and expect it to happen.) just draw whatever is right in front of you on the first page. and do a drawing or a study every day. and dont worry about it being ugly, itll get better faster than you think. go through the sticky for some good resources, proko, vilppu, huston, daniel han, scott robertson etc. branch out into whatever you like. i started 3 months ago. havent stopped yet.

>> No.3980259

As a digital only fag, would drawing in sketchbook make me a better artist? I guess there's less room for error, what else?

>> No.3980279

>>3979736
This is bullshit advice, don't listen to it

>> No.3980303
File: 100 KB, 600x758, actual sketches.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3979663
>>3979736
>>3979781
The "sketchbooks" where every single page is a masterpiece are bullshit made for show. An actual sketchbook looks mostly like shit and it's a place where you jot down ideas and experiment. You can clearly see this when you find out the - actual - sketchbooks of artists, they are full of scribbles and failed drawings.

>> No.3980377
File: 436 KB, 2477x1687, _20190513_230143.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3980303
Yea man. At first you want it to be a masterpiece because the cover is so nice but fuck that. You buy that nice cover for you. It's a luxury. And then use that thing like toilet paper. Don't keep your sports cart under a cover in a garage. Take that bitch out on a track and floor it. And spin out when you fail at trying to drift. Burn out the tires. It's nothing but a tool for you to exercise and get better. That's how I treat instagram too. I post every shitty terrible sketch I do everyday. I don't care if people see my fuck ups anymore. They know I am more prolific than them and my highs are higher than theirs.

We live in a world where most people only show you their best. It's nothing but vacation pictures or post dieting pictures or whatever. They don't want to show you the process and the imperfection. But you have to be honest with yourself about your flaws if you ever hope to get better.

>> No.3980412

>>3979663
Keep in mind sketchbooks aren't for masterpieces, they're for brainstorming your finished pieces and generally shitting out all your ideas, good and bad.

>> No.3980713

>>3980279
What's your advice then? Get stressed because you don't want ugly drawings in your nice new sketchbook and draw shitty eye closeups with awful value contrast to post on Instagram for 2 likes?

>> No.3980727

>>3979669
What is this?

>> No.3981019

>>3980713
shut the fuck up sketchcel

>> No.3981367

>>3981019
Found the guy who never draws.

>> No.3981369

>>3979663
Do some thumbnails

>> No.3984471

>>3979663
lmao do whatever you want with it I draw peter han lines on a crisp brand new sketch book

>> No.3984561

Where does everyone ITT draw their finished (pencil/pen) work? The consensus I see here is treat that quality sketchbook like any other, why not use another sketchbook and later transfer it to the quality A5 book?

>> No.3984664

>>3984561
all my "finished" work is digital. finished trad stuff is just sketches that i use as ideas for digital stuff or otherwise long still life drawings or underdrawings for trad painting. i don't like blending pencil with a stump personally so i never draw more than a sketch in my sketchbooks

>> No.3984861

>>3979736
>Throw your sketchbook into the dirt, step on it, spill coffee on it, and don't keep it nice.
maybe not this extreme, but yeah, I had a sketchbook water-damaged, dried it, and the fear of blank page disappeared. maybe make a few marks on a page and then draw on it.

>>3980279
NGTMI

>> No.3984870
File: 146 KB, 1140x957, staedtler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3979663
>>3979736

buying a sketchbook was not a mistake, but i get and partially agree with what that anon is saying.
don't be precious with your sketchbook.
if the sketchbook has high quality paper, lay off and save it for some other time.
instead, buy the cheapest sketchbook you can find. you don't want to hold back when you sketch. otherwise you'll take compromises with your drawings - do not do this!
also, get a fineliner pen like these. draw everything you see
always take your sketchbook, wherever you go and draw. draw people you see, when you watch tv, and focus on gesture.

the book i recommend is Drawn to Life - it's open source, so google it.

enjoy drawing, it's the best thing in the world

>> No.3984876

>>3979770
>Sketchbooks do not directly have any impact on skill
Skill, no. How well your drawing may turn out? Yes even just a bit - If its a better sketchbook with nicer paper it will feel better to draw on as well as take the graphite better and can handle more erasing. The cheaper sketchbook by Canson and Strathmore will feel much better to draw on than shitty copy paper so at least use that when you attempt to draw something when you take the time and effort to make something that looks good.