[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 200 KB, 875x1000, doom&loom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3960174 No.3960174 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone on here honestly worked their way through every beginner book including every activity on every page?

Has anyone on here actually finished the entire draw-a-box series?

Is it a realistic goal to complete all of this 100% before moving on to other aspects of drawing or should you learn multiple things at once?

>> No.3960180

Loomis and other people like Vilppu, Bridgman, Hampton etc are only suggestions. Drawabox or Proko or whatever doesn't matter that much. They're ok if you have no idea where you should go but don't torture yourself with that shit if you have set personal goals. They are not obligatory

>> No.3960190

> Has anyone on here honestly worked their way through every beginner book including every activity on every page?
some books are worth following step by step, like drawing on the right side of the brain, helped a lot
if the info doesn't seem that useful to you, don't

> Has anyone on here actually finished the entire draw-a-box series?
it's a meme don't waste time

>Is it a realistic goal to complete all of this 100% before moving on to other aspects of drawing or should you learn multiple things at once?
don't do 100% study, mix with some practice and some free drawing
priorize books depending on the needs you want to fulfill

>> No.3960205

I read through almost all of HtD until the exercises that were just him doing examples. I drew anything I either hadn't drawn before or didn't immediately understand. I went through all of Hampton and drew everything I could, same with Huston.

You have to draw from the books but also just draw. You need to draw to your limits, find them, study until you know, and draw again. Studying without doing your own work is pointless.

>> No.3960682

>>3960174
drawabox is not supposed to be done alone. you need to do the exercises and apply what you learn on your own work. i finished it couple of years ago and it made working with 3d forms effortless

>> No.3960838

>>3960174
rebecca rand made a video about her experiences going through all of drawabox. https://youtu.be/UFn9w3uDkz4