[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 313 KB, 1890x1161, noseanatomy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3931350 No.3931350 [Reply] [Original]

These are pictures on my nose. I do not see the planes that I've highlighted on the drawing in the pictures of my nose. The tip of my nose is almost perfectly spherical and the my nostrils come up and connect to the sides of that ball. Where do you see these planes in my nose? I wanted to try to just trace over the pictures, but there are no shadows indicating an edge or contour.

>> No.3931351
File: 436 KB, 2477x1687, 1557802996408.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is how I attempted to make sense of it but honestly, these lines are just arbitrary. I'm forcing the anatomy to fit the silhouette which is backwards.

>> No.3931393

everyones noses are shaped differently and will have slightly different forms.. dont get too focused on these specific diagrams, they are just more angular and exaggerated for demonstration purposes..
just try to draw as many different noses from photos as you can instead and you will be able to understand eventually. it will help you more then studying just these certain drawings, also it helps to just draw the shadow the nose creates instead of thinking about the exact shape of the nose, like how you dont draw every individual tooth of a smile.

>> No.3931400
File: 69 KB, 540x495, 1466129600807.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3931401

>>3931350
I used to struggle with noses until I started only drawing a circle as the guideline for the tip. I feel like it's demonstrated way too complicated here, noses are very personal and you can have a lot of fun drawing variations, just look at random people and try to draw their noses. You probably have one yourself that you can intensely stare at to figure out the anatomy and angles better as well

>> No.3931540
File: 65 KB, 1024x706, 1556193423814_by_maikeru01_dd5jr6b-fullview.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3931401
>>3931400
>>3931393
its not that i cant draw a nose at all. but i was hoping to learn that anatomy to help me understand better--a new way to do it from every angle. if i can break down the anatomy into basic shapes, thatd be ideal as a methodology vs right now where im just sort of winging it which is what you guys seem to be suggesting.

>> No.3931559

>>3931540
I'm not sure if there's a shortcut to understanding the anatomy of the nose to make it instantaneously easier, you're well on the way but I think you just need to draw more noses in all kinds of angles to build up a mental library. To learn a variety of details with any feature you just gotta practice

>> No.3931590

>>3931350
If you look closely at the rightmost picture of your nose you can see the sharp cut that the shadow along the right side of the nose makes as it curves towards the front. The plane you're looking for lives right before that cut between the bridge and the nostril. In fact, your nose is shaped very closely to the structural models you posted. The problem is that flesh makes those underlying details much harder to see. But if you look at the way the light plays on your nose in that rightmost picture, all of the planes and structural elements are there. If you want to see them clearer, I would recommend a darker backdrop and a single point light source for your picture; there's so much ambient light that you're just making it harder on yourself.

>> No.3931595
File: 41 KB, 557x476, Lateral-View-of-the-External-Nose-Anatomy-of-the-Nasal-Skeleton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

learn the anatomy, this or scott eaton's portrait class
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWZZ3SFmDS8&t=2m46s

it's cartilage, fat, and the skull's nasal bone. there are countless variations of those. lateral, septal, and alar cartilage are the main ones at play.

>> No.3931696

>>3931540
To draw the nose from different angles, the more important thing to keep in mind than anatomy, is perspective, how the different angles affect the planes of the nose. I’d second recommending some quick studies of faces in various angles, keeping in mind how the nose changes.

>> No.3931709

>>3931590
thats all nice and dandy and we both know that. but since OP did not know that in the first place he wont understand what you just said with only just
>>3931350
OP, what that anon mean is when light comes from all directions, it makes the form blend together and you can differentiate only object with value contrast (dark vs light, eyes vs skin, hair vs skin, nosetrills vs skin, lips vs skin etc). if you want to see plane changes you need to create that contrast of light vs dark yourself, using light and shadows. for that you need as few light sources as possible, and know that each light reflecting surfaces counts as light source too. that means not doing taking those pictures outside at day, the sky spreads the light, not doing it in rooms with white walls, they reflect the light. you need to take the picture in a place well lit, but by only one source of light, and the surrounding surfaces to absorb light and not reflect it (hint: black objects look black because they absorb most the light which hits them, white object reflect most of the light which reflect them, red objects absorb all the light spectrum except for red, which they reflect, and same thing for different colors, and know thats for white light, different colored lights will be reflected differently, cant reflect blue if the light has no blue in it)

>> No.3932064

>>3931350
Don't start with complex planes, just start with a box

>> No.3932078
File: 21 KB, 500x255, D1C4hy0VYAEOa-8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>can barely draw a simple mannequin
>hey, let's learn about in-depth nose anatomy

>> No.3932454

>>3932078
Did I say I wasn't also studying the whole body and the whole face and things other than humans or are you projecting? When you draw a Loomis head for example, it doesn't take long before you can do the basic structure just fine. But you're facial features will need work so you go in and focus on each individually and then apply it to the over all and then apply the overall head to the overall body. If you just draw a whole body over and over, you're not going to get better at noses, you brainless fuckfart.