[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 130 KB, 357x371, D5A6D4CE-FCAF-49D8-832F-5526B32A7F99.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3922277 No.3922277 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here go to Art School? Time to share stories

>> No.3922303
File: 16 KB, 450x450, 1540571283775.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3922277
Art school

>> No.3922309

>>3922277
does community college classes count?

>> No.3922311

I'm going to an art school and nothing really happened so far outside of some of our resident weebs or autists sperging out. I remember talking about how one of them got kicked out of figure drawing class for being creepy and making everyone uncomfortable in one of these threads.
The only other stupid thing I can think of is an obvious tranny talking about HRT (I shit you not) next to us at the cafeteria and almost picking a fight with aforementioned autist. This place really feels like Twitter or some shit sometimes, clown world.

>> No.3922320

>>3922311
How skill are your class in art and are you learning much from them?

>> No.3922329

>>3922277
I did a very long time ago, it's completely different now, too many electives and theory

>> No.3922370

>>3922277
Took basic drawing in 2012, went well. Dropped out of figure drawing class twice had my town burn down half way through the third time. That half semester of serious work helped me improve more than my 5 previous years of art combined, though.

>> No.3922880

>>3922320
I'm not very skilled yet.
There are in-depth anatomy lessons and figure drawing classes but they don't expect you to draw well. I learn more on my own.

>> No.3922882

CAn't do any painting coz I aint got any paint

>> No.3922969

>>3922277
cant draw because too busy with art school...
ironic I know

>> No.3922970

>>3922277
art school fag here, do yourself a favor...dont, its a scam, anons werent joking, its actually a complete rip off.

>> No.3922976

>>3922277
Not really art school but I've been to a nude model drawing session for the first time recently and there was a big fat dude who was nice, but also really smelly.

>> No.3922979

>>3922970
What school kind of art school did you go to and what is your end goal as an artist?

>> No.3922992
File: 211 KB, 405x720, 1546581606612.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I didn't personally but knew a lot of kids that did, roomed with a guy who was going to art school for 3 years. I sat in a lot of seminars / classes. For the most part it was a lot of circle jerking, particularly illustration students who were probably the least talented group of individuals in the whole school. Then again it's a midwestern art school and there isn't a whole bunch of talent stemming from it anyway. I think there is only one alumni I know of personally. The only thing of value were the figure and life drawing classes. I personally just attend the cheaper alternative bi-monthly classes in some of the studios around here. Far more talented people who know their shit and actually valuable in learning fundamentals.

>> No.3923468
File: 94 KB, 720x960, skele.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3922277
im in an academy of fine arts and design,
ask me anything
its not as bad as you would think

>> No.3923487

>>3923468
What country? How many hours per week do you draw? Do you think the classes are structured well and give good exercises? Do you prefer being guided by school projects or practicing on your own?

>> No.3923502

>>3923487
1.Slovakia

2.Depends, mandatory drawing classes are 5 hours each Monday
Then you have your main studio, mine is Illustration, but the standard project is a book with a minimum of 16 illustrations per semester.
So it really depends on your style and technique you use
Also we have printmaking classes so you can also count that as drawing

3. Some of the classes are great and some are horrible, this is the biggest problem with art schools, at least in my opinions. The quality of the class depends too much on the professor.
I would say that I am satisfied with my main studio, but ultimately it depends on you what you will do, the professor is just a guide.

4. I preferred being guided because you can always fall back on your mentor if you run into a wall, but lately I am preferring practising on my own. If you lack discipline this is very good.

>> No.3923515

>>3923502
Thanks for answering the questions. It sounds like if you can find a good school then the school is useful to acquire a frame of reference to use as starting point in personal practice

>> No.3923519

>>3923515
no prob, and you're absolutely right.
I'm lucky that I live in a place where higher education is free, so the American college meme really doesn't apply
Also one more important thing: Contacts
This is a really big upside if you're studying.

>> No.3923522

>>3923468
Do you know anything about other academies/ateliers through Europe?

I live in SA but have an european passport and enough savings to pay for those studies, and want to improve myself over there

>> No.3923575

>>3923522
I mean depends on what kind of art you want to produce. I have seen amazing results from UMPRUM (Prague academy), but I think it's not what lurkers on this board like.
If you don't know what you want to do, and have the possibility to go to some school in europe, do it.

>> No.3923584
File: 36 KB, 504x504, 1556570414204.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I applied with my gf to an illustration class at a pretty prestigious school .I didn't make it in but she did. Little did I know, that it was a blessing in disguise

In the time that the both of us applied to now, I've surpassed most, if not all of her classmates. When I'd go to school with her on days off, I got approached by people who swore I was in the school. I've had classmates approach confused, since I wasn't in their class, thinking I was an animation student

I'm not saying this to jerk myself off, I don't see myself as really being that good. What I am saying is the state of the system itself is a fucking joke. Most of the students submitting massively flawed work go into mental breakdowns if the teacher gives them feedback that is anything more then "wow, great job". It's a sign that the school itself doesn't have the willpower to root out people who are unfit for the career, and would rather just leach off them. That and the current environment leans so far in the hugbox direction, that every student thinks their work is the finest shit

A word to the wise: if you're thinking of applying, don't. If you are one of those people who "just really learn better in a traditional structured environment", don't do it. All that is, is an excuse. Learn how to learn independently, so you can continue to grow, even outside of school.

TL;DR Artschool is only good for wealthy kids who have parents that won't let them NEET. They have to apply to school to waste money, so their parents wont kick them out. Everyone else should stay the fuck away, save money and grow independently. It can all be done with focus, resolve and assistance from online mentors or peer reviews.

Fuckin' clownworld dude

>> No.3923603

>>3923575
Thank you!

I will try to take this year to make a good portfolio and maybe attempt to get a scolarship somewhere

>> No.3923606

>>3923584
This is not true. There are lots of things that you cannot learn or correct by yourself. Getting a good mentor that helps you detect your mistakes and helps you overcome them faster is a huge difference. Sorry you have such a shitty experience with art related classes.

>> No.3923607
File: 230 KB, 500x532, 1552764004140.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3923584
>A word to the wise: if you're thinking of applying, don't. If you are one of those people who "just really learn better in a traditional structured environment", don't do it. All that is, is an excuse. Learn how to learn independently, so you can continue to grow, even outside of school.
>TL;DR Artschool is only good for wealthy kids who have parents that won't let them NEET. They have to apply to school to waste money, so their parents wont kick them out. Everyone else should stay the fuck away, save money and grow independently. It can all be done with focus, resolve and assistance from online mentors or peer reviews.
Do we know each other or what? I didn't ask for a truthpill

>> No.3923637
File: 99 KB, 541x960, 1544451371169.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3923606
I mentioned getting online mentors and peer reviews, and I believe its a better remedy for this then actually, actively throwing your money into a toilet

If you approach an artist open to giving portfolio reviews and pay upright, the value you will get from that will be much more effective. They will not have fear of saying something that will get them in trouble, or jeopardize their job so they will be much more straight forward. A lot of the time, they are working artists as well so they will know what type of feedback they would want in your position. And, since its a 1-1 setting, not a 1-20+ setting like a traditional classroom, the bonus there goes without saying

Or, if you are lucky enough to have an artist give you feedback for free, you are getting valuable information from someone in-industry, the turn around for them is, they can use your content to generate money (think art youtube channels that do paint overs)

these people don't know you personally they don't feel a need to pull punches. I've received some very poignant C&C through this manner, not to mention the wealth of free feedback you can get by literally posting on any discord server+thread here and being polite

Anything and everything else can be learned from Video tutorials and books. If there is something you can't grasp, it shouldn't be on the prof's head to try to cram the information in, it should be on you to grasp it. learning from more then one source always triumphs over they one and done classroom setup.

Mind you, I've only really stepped foot in like, 2 art college and seen what I talked about before. If you are referring to an Atelier, that's a whole different story

>>3923607
I dunno anon, maybe. I've chatted to a bunch of people from here in one way or another. Maybe we're just enlightened minds connecting. Remember; the true master eats blackpills and spits out whitepills, instead of taking both the backpill and the leadpill

>> No.3923658
File: 40 KB, 400x376, 1557085667150.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3923637
>I dunno anon, maybe. I've chatted to a bunch of people from here in one way or another. Maybe we're just enlightened minds connecting.
I don't know, I really fit in that description you gave and recently came to the same realization. I just spent a first year in a design school comfortably doing fuckall because I'm probably too afraid of failure to get into anything and have no immediate reason to change. And at the same time, I got back into drawing and improving again after months wasted jacking off and being mediocre. I know it's a cliché'd and teenage-y to say that but ultimately all that's stopping you from improving is yourself, and it's both a bad and a great thing. One can't keep making excuses forever.
Anyways enough blogging. I wholeheartedly agree about the whitepilling. Cheers, anon.

>> No.3923664

>>3923584
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on this. Back in the bucket crab. This is not how the top schools operate at all - the critiques at the top schools like Pratt or The College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland have brutal critiques, done on purpose to weed out the less focused students.
If there's any truth to this at all, and I doubt it, AT BEST you took a course at a franchise Art Acedemy school, which are in no way 'prestigious", except in the marketing literature for the parents of the kiddies they want to park in art school daycare.
>In the time that the both of us applied to now, I've surpassed most, if not all of her classmates. When I'd go to school with her on days off, I got approached by people who swore I was in the school. I've had classmates approach confused, since I wasn't in their class, thinking I was an animation student

This absolutely did not happen.
>I'm not saying this to jerk myself off
This is the only honest thing you posted. You posted what you did as part of the crab bucket, which is irrationally biased against art school, because you're poor, unmotivated, got turned down, or have some bullshit "muh anxiety" NEET excuse for not trying.

By the way:

>I applied with my gf to an illustration class at a pretty prestigious school .I didn't make it in

>I've had classmates approach confused, since I wasn't in their class,

Pick one. You were a student, or you weren't.

But hey, you tried.

>> No.3923673
File: 47 KB, 712x713, 1541482427872.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3923658
I appreciated hearing your story, based self-improver. You're in a position where your focus is only on improving, so do it. Surpass your peers. The best part of realizing that you are the source of every issue in your life, is that you have all the components to fix everything. Godspeed you magnificent son of a bitch

>> No.3923679

>>3923664
What's your experience?

>> No.3923701
File: 1.05 MB, 797x960, Boomer with qt azn gf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3923664
I mean, I applied to sheridan colledge (ON, CAN) I avoided calling it out to keep a little bit more anonymity, but I guess its important for context. It's locally the biggest art-focused school and had plenty of successes. Bao just won best short from one of its ani grads. It's not a franchise art academy, but I can't say I know anything about the ones you mentioned, so maybe your schools are better and more straightforward.

As for you not believing my story, I can't fault you. It does come off as grandiose.
>I've had classmates approach confused, since I wasn't in their class,
forgot to add, *her* classmates. My gf's. Shes the reason I was visiting there to begin with. I'm saying that, from the position I am in, able to come to school events, project shows and spending time on the campus.The work I see on the walls and being done around me in common area. Hearing stories of the interactions her classmates have with the teachers, ect. This is all just my personal experience, I'd like to think I'm more of a lobster than a crab

>> No.3923702

>>3922277
do you regret wasting your time in art school when you could have taken a course on /ic/?

>> No.3923716

>>3923637
You can't even compare getting an online mentor to an actual one in a decent academy. Dude.

>> No.3923720
File: 6 KB, 202x235, 1492907968773.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3923701
>boomer with qt azn gf

>> No.3923723

>>3923673
>is that you have all the components to fix everything
This is wrong btw. Anyone attending a decent atelier (not even talking top ones like Florence or Watts) will be dozens of times better off, if not only for the humbling factor, which you seem to lack.

>> No.3923735

>>3923723
Did you happen to go to an atelier?

>> No.3923784

>>3923679
BFA in fine art/Illustration at a good CA state college. Took adjunct courses at other school when I had the time/money, and know people who have gone to a long list of schools. One of the people I graduated with tried teaching at the Art Academy franchise, and would rant for days about how bad it was.

>> No.3923795

>>3923723
I was talking in a personal, self improvement sense with that anon. What did I do to make you so upset? If you've had a positive experience at an atelier, why not share it ? I'm not devaluing everyone else, I'm sharing what I've experienced and I believe that, if you have had a good experience you should share it.

>>3923716
Fair enough, I've never really had a mentor (apart from online) that I could look up to in technical prowess. Glad you've gotten to know some kick ass profs irl, anon

>> No.3923835

>>3922309
This, same here.
I'm hesitant to go to actual art school, though.
Aside from cost I absolutely cannot stand those weird artist types. The one with the crazy hair or make pretentious bullshit to pass off as unique when it's actually meaningless and passe.
Two of my friends went to art schools and they have tons of stories recounting those types.

>> No.3923857
File: 1.10 MB, 1512x2688, Snapchat-758439212.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I go to art school. Pic related, was mine (albeit most of my shit is oil paintings, not gouache on paper like this).
Plan is to go to art grad school after this and then try and make it as a gallery artist. If you go to art school for literally any other reason you're a dumbass desu cause it's a waste of a degree in every other field.

>> No.3923860

>>3923857
being a gallery artist is nothing to be proud of.

>> No.3923873

>>3923835
>>3923857
>>3923860
Taking a fine arts degree and I haven't been given any direction, not once, on HOW to draw but WHAT to draw. All gallery artists care about is content. I'm not great by the standards of your regular illustrator, but I'm head and shoulders above most of my naive classmates who think abstract art and grid copying photographs will carry their career as long as the subject is "deep." In class critiques consist of long winded diatribes on the symbolism and social commentary of pieces that look like an elementary schooler's first experiment with oil paints. I'm really wasting my time here but I'm too far in to quit now. Fuck.

>> No.3923876

>>3923702
I'm an illustration major at top art school. I have found the experience worth it. My foundations classes taught me how to apply the fundamentals better than I could have learned on my own, and most if not all of my projects are created in mind of professional application.

I think the biggest issue is absolute beginners who go to art school. They won't learn fast enough, and they will be stunted throughout their time at school. It's better to go having basic knowledge first, then you'll see tremendous growth. Art school is more suited to help you grow as an artist vs. teaching you art from scratch in my experience.

50% of the freshman class drops by the second quarter because they either learn they aren't motivated enough or good enough. Some lose scholarships but still stay. That's usually a mistake because they're paying full price to be mediocre.

I'd say the biggest issue I see with my classmates is that they stop trying, or get lazy. People come into critiques without work, it's unfinished or they completely miss the prompt. Some professors are lax towards this, some are brutal. One professor refers to such students as "NT's" (Non-Threats to his/our illustration career). Basically NGMI. Every class I have taken has had 1-2 absolute shitshows. They're definitely wasting their parents money and it's always uncomfortable during crit because their work is either not done or deviantart quality. Most of my classmates however are incredibly hard-working and inspiring. I like the motivation.

In the end if you can afford it art school is worth it, but only if you're willing to put in what's required. I draw at a minimum of 10 hours a day. It's constant work. I like the direction in projects and deadlines - it forces me to think fast and work hard. In the end I have professional quality work that I can get direct feedback on from my professors who were at some point or still are pros in the field.

>> No.3923880

>>3923835
I find that most of those students are getting degrees in fine art. Illustration classes typically only have 1, and other students usually aren't very supportive of it.

>> No.3923885

>>3923860
No, it isn't, but getting rich, well respected, and famous is. :^)
>>3923873
That's because you're supposed to choose your content, dummy. The premise is that you already know how to draw by the time you enter art school (whether that's true or not is a different matter).

The thing that pisses me off about my classmates is when they paint things that are so clearly better executed in Photoshop, but they just don't know how to.

But, they're also not really high achievers and are brainlets in general so that kind of explains a lot.

So, what kind of art do you make?

>> No.3923915
File: 423 KB, 2321x2348, x6sdp5h0qgt21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3923885
Mostly short comics/illustration. Despite my shit talking my school is pretty open to different styles/genres because in my part of the country there aren't a lot of options for art schools. Pic related, by me.

>> No.3923921
File: 273 KB, 500x500, 1556647627489.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3922277
Currently in my last year of Community College and planning on transferring to a University.

I couldn't justify the cost of attending a proper art school to myself so I ended up staying at home doing part time jobs and fuck all. Parents really want me to get a STEM degree but my math sucks and I dont wanna commit to shit I dont wanna do.

Anyone have any experience taking art programs in public universities?

>> No.3923982

>>3923915
Nice. You hoping to become an illustrator or write your own comics/books or something else?

>>3923921
I go to a public uni. Tbh nearly all unis are the same and offer more than you will ever be able to learn if you look for it. The true determiner of what you get out of college is what you put in.

I really suggest you work on your math though. Going through life without basic competence in math/science is like trying to live in America without being able to read. You might be able to scrape by but you're missing a lot.

>> No.3923990

there have been so many scandals in my school i don't even know where to begin, i'll start with a simple one:
>two printmaking teachers, both husband and wife
>fast foward some random time
>husband is having an affair with a student
>leaves wife
>girl leaves the husband, leaves him without money
>they still work together but despise each other

>> No.3923993

>>3923990
oh shit i thought this post was to share stories, like, weird shit, not your story about studying in art school lmao

>> No.3924057

>>3923993
That's honestly why I started it but this is how it turned out lmao

>> No.3924169

>>3924057
nice, well if anyone is interested in shitty art school drama i'll be here

>> No.3924223

>>3923873
I majored in illustration, the core classes for the degree required, by taking all the required course, or having a portfolio, that showed you were past the 'learning to draw and paint" stage, the classes were ALL conceptual. They were very important, and I learned more in them, than any other class. The fine art/studio discipline students were facing the same - by the time you hit Junior year and start core program classes, you are done learning how, and the classes are all content, exploring themes and ideas.
The first two years are about taking the drawing classes, painting classes, life study, etc.
One of the biggest impacts of being in a school is being in a creative environment, where people are interacting, sharing ideas and technique, and seeing how other people solve problems and approach ideas. One guy in our class had phenomenal ideas, but his skills at painting them were lacking, the teacher told him several times he'd make a superior art director, because of how he could think. Other people were incredible at rendering, but their ideas were weak.
And, like anything else, it's what you put into it. If you just show up once in a while, do the minimum effort, and refuse to listen during critiques, you won't make it. I learned to LOVE critiques, and defending and focusing my ideas, and while working on stuff, thinking things through so I wouldn't get called out on anything in class, something I still do.
Too many people here think being an artist is "Grind this one thing for 10,000 hours, become artist". It's way more than that. It's mental, and technique. You can't learn that from a book, or from a forum who's critiques are "Loomis".

>> No.3924227

>>3923880
This. The fine crowd sneered at us illustration majors, and they all had the same dyed hair, black clothes, and sat under trees outside the building smoking cloves and being depressed. The illustration students were more normal types.
You could always tell when the fine artists were in the student studios, they left trash and shit everywhere, they were all fucking slobs with no respect for their materials or the work space. Some of them were legit talented, but too many of them were fat, obnoxious girls who thought their splashes of color on canvas were genius.

>> No.3924240

>>3923664
who are you to judge other people's experiences faggot

>> No.3924241

>>3924240
You seem upset.

>> No.3924257

>>3924241
Sure but in 15 minutes he won't be upset anymore and you'll still be a giant faggot

>> No.3924435

>>3923584
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since I'm in a bit of a similar position (gf likely going to big art school while I'm practicing by myself mostly).

Have you found there to be any major differences in getting networking/connections in the school versus outside of it? I'm always hearing that's the big advantage of going to these places.

>> No.3924460

I tried to get into an art school once, got denied because my style was 'too developed'. I think they were just trying to be nice and say 'get out scalie'. Since my portfolio was mostly full of dragons and monsters and lacking heavily in humans.

>> No.3924463

>>3924257
How's he a faggot.

>> No.3924501
File: 3.35 MB, 4380x2208, 3kaz-Recovered.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3922277
I love the school I'm at now. I did one year of Graphic Design and two years in a Fine arts academy before saying screw this shit and moving to another country, where I'm doing a Visual Development course. We get workshops from people like Mike Azevedo and Ian McQue every now and then and I absolutely love it. Our teachers are great and the assignements we get are portfolio oriented. I love the balance between stuff like character design and environments from imagination and the more classical approach to drawing and more realistically grounded anatomy stuff. Teachers are always open for feedback and critique and my classmates actually give a shit about what they're doing. It's a huge motivator to see people excited about improving.

I did get to experiment with different mediums and art sectors in the fine arts academy, like scenography for theater, wood printing and etching, so I don't completely regret it, but there's no comparison with the school I'm at now.

>> No.3924502

>>3924501
living the dream

>> No.3925290

Must be weird going to The Vienna Academy of Fine Arts, knowing Hitler was rejected from the spot you're in.

>> No.3925378

>>3925290
Why weird? You're better than Hitler, that's good

>> No.3925380

>>3924463
It's 4chan.

>> No.3925384 [DELETED] 

>>3924501
Which school exactly? Also, how it was graphic i just finished the first semester and it was kinda meh

>> No.3925386

>>3924501
Which school exactly? Also, how it was the experience on graphic design? I just finished the first semester and it was kinda meh

>> No.3925391

>>3922277
yup, 3rd year at the moment, overall i'd say it's 75% useless nonsense just for a diploma, and 25% i've actually applied

>> No.3925497

>>3925386
I'm at IDEA academy atm. I didn't get much out of graphic design. I guess I know how to work with vectors and a more intimate knowledge of Photoshop. But that's it.

>> No.3925507

>>3925290
Even weirder for me for getting rejected twice (For not sending them any art both times lmao).

>> No.3925541

>>3925497
>idea
Rome? How is it, how was the application process, how expensive is it and do you like living in such a hectic city?

>> No.3925601

>>3925541
I'm European so moving was easy as fuck. I just needed to get myself an Italian tax code. City is fine. Fantastic museums and cheap groceries if you live in the poor part of town like I do. The tourists in the summer are a pain in the ass but the school is super central, so easy to get there. Applying isn't very hard, you send a portfolio, have an interview and pay the application fee. You can choose which course to do, though depending on your level they will advice you for or against specific courses. I'm finishing up my Fundamentals course in late June and starting their master course next year.

Living costs are very manageable, except rent. Rent is ridiculously high. Find a roommate or have a shitload of cash to burn. I'm lucky my parents are supporting me. I live in a tiny hole on my own and pay 640€ for utilities and rent. The school itself is very inexpensive. The fundamentals course costs 3k euro, master class is 6k which is lowend price for private institutions in the EU. Quality or students' work varries. We have people that could be working for tripple A companies and a couple of begs. But as the school gets older applicant level is going up. Everyone works hard though, even people that were super beg at the start of the year have made insane progress. It's really cool to watch. Makes me feel competitive.

>> No.3925881

>>3925601
Why did you chose that one among the rest of the academies? Was it the price, or maybe a scolarship?

Thoughts on Florence? I suppose the cost of living is as high as Rome's

>> No.3925924

>>3925881
Mix of Visual Development and a traditional approach, so not just academic drawing. Also, classes are in English.

>> No.3926461

Who here is also trying to become a gallery artist? Show pics of your stuff too pls

>> No.3926463

>>3923857
Did you spill salad dressing on your canvas?

>> No.3926562

>>3926463
It's paper. C'mon guys if you want me to take your criticisms seriously, you can't fuck up the most basic facts or else I'll know you didn't spend three seconds looking at it.

And since when is salad dressing purple? If you meant balsalmic vinegar you needa eat some other dressings man.

>> No.3926671

>go to school specifically because a friend went and told me there was a measured perspective class and a drawing prof that taught russian academic style
>have to go to all the freshman seminar 'lookit these successful alumni we invited!'
>not a single one was full time and I got a reputation for being to the one to ask what their day jobs were at every Q&A
>only did that one year, got the classes I wanted and fucked off

also I did nude life drawing at local community college and had a 6hr class where an older male model kept getting a boner

>> No.3926692

>>3926671
I'm lucky none of the models in my figure drawing class have gotten a boner. Also asking about day jobs really isn't a dumb or pessimistic question, it's legit information that you need to know before entering the field. As far as I've seen though most artists work as University professors alongside showing at galleries. Even people like Pope L and Laura Owens still teach despite having massive success.

>> No.3927396

>paying for failed artists critique

Absolute idiocy and success of capitalist LOL

>> No.3927438

>>3926692
I don't think a day job was inherently bad but the way the school promoted the alumni they brought in to speak reminded me way too much of a sales pitch, so I asked questions (I was just asking like 'do you all do this full time?' 'whats the process for having a gallery showing?')
By the end of the Q&A learned that the three women doing the presentation were all roomates, two worked full time at Tim Hortons, third never said if she had a day job. At least one still had 'full tuition debt' and they'd saved up for months to afford the gallery space for the length of the show.
(that last one I'll admit I have no idea if that's industry standard or not, I was there for illustration/draftsmanship and never really considered gallery showings)

All in all it was far more what I would expect from 3 fine arts majors a year out of school but it left a bad taste in my mouth that a 45k a year (at the time) school was trying to present these people as super successful when they were likely deferring their loan payments for lack of income.

After the second time I asked 'do you do this full time' I was called in for a meeting with a admin and told to stop because it was 'depressing'
To give the school a smidge of credit I did realize afterwards that the likely reason they couldn't find these successful alumni to come speak was was because everyone who had success in their field had left the state.

>> No.3927446 [DELETED] 

Going to FDZ in October.

>> No.3927615

Attending a top atelier. AM(almost)A

>> No.3927651

>>3927438
Oof. Yeah the people you were talking to were just commercial failures then. Your school did a shit job.

>>3927615
Nobody gives a shit what tier school you go to. Unlike the brainlets in your real life, we don't think you're automatically hot shit just because daddy pulled a few strings to get his favowite widdle baby into Yale.

>> No.3927679

I'm going to retire at 30 with no family and then spend the rest of my life doing art, lmaoing at non STEMfags

>> No.3927701

>>3926671

lmao if there's one thing i hate more than anything else it's a school jerking itself off over their sub-par alumni. What's even funnier the most succesful and famous artists these days usually come out of modern schools, the classical ones just have the boring blagh realistic portraits that aren't helping anyone.

>> No.3927901

>>3923664
Watch the latest wizecrack video

>> No.3928240

>>3927679
have fun not doing as much art as you want until you're 30, friend. that would kill me, just to put my growth on hold. brave man.

>> No.3930683

>>3923701
Went to sheridan. Got out of BA illustration. Am now trying to repair the damage done to my portfolio. At least the life drawing and business training is valuable.

>> No.3930711

>>3922277
>go to art school
> waited like 2 years to finally get to take good drawing classes
> have one good drawing semester
>everything after that my anxiety wrecked me into never finishing anything

>cried on the last day becuz i am failure

>> No.3931208

>>3922969
I feel this one. You literally have no time to draw, or let alone learn, cause you're too busy doing completely insane projects that make no sense and don't teach anything but require you to sit at it and work at least 10 hours a night.

>> No.3931228

>>3923701
>I applied to sheridan colledge (ON, CAN)
>As for you not believing my story, I can't fault you. It does come off as grandiose.

Know who this is, the guy is full of shit. Cranky cause he got in trouble at the school for going into student only labs.

>> No.3931264

>>3923584
>I've surpassed most, if not all of her classmates
>Most of the students submitting massively flawed work

Keep acting like this and you'll never get into the program. You and your superiority complex.

You are definitely not better than everyone in the program. The first years are not flawed and produce some of the best quality work. Seriously, what's your problem, most of these people you're shitting on look up to you, even call you their friends, and defended you when you got in shit. Jesus dude.

>> No.3931376

>>3931228
>>3931264

pls be real

>> No.3931459

>>3931228
>>3931264
t. regularly gets top marks for his macaroni art

>> No.3931560
File: 122 KB, 936x1494, 1554906785040.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3931228
>>3931264
You've got me mixed up for another person, amigo. I don't go in for labs, just wait in the common area sometimes. I did end up going along to the RoM trip and, if you're not trying to do an asspull, I might know who you think I am. He sat there and talked at me while I was trying to draw birds. Don't associate this with him, since I don't want to taint people's views with this. I want to do my best to remain Anonymous

Let me air this now; my goal is not to single out classmates in that year or prior that are weaker. It's not to grandstand my own personal progress, since that's nebulous to begin with (my gf was the original one to make the comparisons, and I see a lot of the work on social) It's not to be braggadocios and toot my own horn(in fact, I tried to lessen that feeling in the first post). The main point of the post is to tell people who are weighing if it's truly necessary to get schooling that it's not. It's very possible to thrive as a self taught, and I've had the opportunity to see both sides of the coin. The major thing that people on the outside miss out on is marketing opportunities and quick feedback.

the second goal is to outline just how downright toxic the reaction to c&c seems to be. Most of this has been hear-say, from stories that have been told from me. But the toxicity and aggressiveness between students and the fits of rage and crying when the prof gives feedback, from what I heard, make the class seem like its more of a kindergarten than a college. Growing as an artist means overcoming the sense of self worth that you connect with your art, and accepting feedback for the greater good of your work. It seems bazaar that people have gotten so far into the class and still give so few shits about the level of work they put out, and remain so defensive

My post was to help people, so that things like >>3930683 happens less. It was an aggressive tone only to be more sensational.

>> No.3931577
File: 45 KB, 380x376, 1556391748142.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3924435
well, most of the networking and opportunities generated come from either the co-op classes where students are able to work for a company (creating work that boosts a portfolio, really likely that the company will outright hire you if you work well) or gain a mentor. Or it comes from the career day, where scouts from companies look at everyone's thesis work and give cards and contact info to students who draw their interest. These are very, very useful. A friend that graduated from the ani class got a job right out of the gate that she still loves to this day, and supports her well. These are massive opportunities since they don't really happen outside of this environment. The only thing I can suggest to get close, is that Noah Bradley suggests, in "The Art of Being a Freelancer" that you go to a bunch of conventions and similar events to try and market yourself. many booths for the smaller companies have head designers and artists standing around to talk about the game, so this is an opportunity to market yourself. I suggest you give it a watch

Godspeed anon

>> No.3931710

>>3931560
>braggadocios
nice easter egg, David.

>> No.3933515

Graduated HS and took a year to work and make money then decide in which art school I wanted to go. I go on their sites and holy shit, most of the students works from the schools near me are pure shit. All the works in the illustration section are straight from Tumblr. The others works are "I threw up on a canvas" type of thing.
Tbh I would love to go in those schools that are 6000$ a semester since you're sure to have a job after you graduate. But hey, mom and dad aren't rich so I'll go to shitty free public school I guess.

>> No.3934168

>>3933515
>Tbh I would love to go in those schools that are 6000$ a semester since you're sure to have a job after you graduate.
I want to invest my life savings into this. Anyone got some good names?

>> No.3934184
File: 10 KB, 1200x600, chart-avg-net-price-trend_xl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3923664
>Pratt

waste of dubs

>> No.3934191
File: 273 KB, 810x1234, 1_Alana_Macdougall,_Fine_Arts,_Sculpture_MFA_16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3934184
https://www.pratt.edu/the-work/

>> No.3934194
File: 123 KB, 1164x1202, 1558017818635.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3934184
>>3934191
>mfw I mistook that post for dubs

Still, not as bad a mistake as going to a modern art school in the US. If you suggest someone should go to a school like Pratt I must suggest you kill yourself, suggestively.

>> No.3934196
File: 3.74 MB, 3262x4982, ARB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3934197
File: 380 KB, 2149x702, Lois van Baarle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3934198
File: 52 KB, 534x202, Emmy Cicierega.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3934200
File: 3.90 MB, 749x1050, Bahi JD.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3934263

>>3924501
I want to fuck that magical goat thing

>> No.3934498

>>3931208
>you're too busy doing completely insane projects that make no sense and don't teach anything but require you to sit at it and work at least 10 hours a night.
The main purpose of assignments like this are to train you for studio work/extremely demanding clients. By the time you graduate you should have no problem spending hours and hours to turn out a lot of finished work because it's your profession. If you're not producing, you're not making money. Art school isn't for teaching people how to draw. In fact, you should have a decent level of skill before you enroll so you can make the most of it. The school provides critiques, teaches you how to grind, gets you out of your comfort zone, and allows you to make professional connections.

>> No.3934815

I need to make a list of 5 art schools in the USA to apply to for illustration. Anyone have recommendations?

>> No.3934835

>>3934263
No one's ever wanted to bone one of my characters. New milestone I guess.

>> No.3934837

>>3924501
>moving countries for school after 3 years at school
>Ian mcque
Fuck me how rich are your parents and what do they do for a living?

>> No.3934896

>>3934815
risd

>> No.3934905

>>3934837
Ngl, dad's well off, but it's doable. Higher education is free in my country so I didn't pay shit for those three years. Rent's high but I don't have roommates. If my parents weren't paying it would still be doable if I lived with other people and budgetted even more than I do now.

>> No.3935058

We are all fucked boiz

>> No.3935081

>>3923468
Looks like you can be the next Proko.

>> No.3935105

>>3922882
...For some reason this post reached out to me across the aether. I hope you find your paint soon, friend.

>> No.3935138

>2 years traditional art in a fancy pre-art college
>2 years vocational college for digital art and vfx
Got a job 3 months after. Worked 8ish years and I’m a lead designer now.

We mostly look for diplomas when we hire interns. Ofcourse they get nowhere without a portfolio, but pushing through any university while still making some artwork usually means they can keep up woth gruntwork while improving their skill.

For freelancers or outsource work we hire only mid to senior artists. We rarely accept people without a diploma for junior positions or internships.

>> No.3935388

>>3935138
Out of curiosity, do you guys ever accept people with degrees/diplomas in non-art fields and how do you feel about them?

>> No.3935434

>>3935138
What kind of fucking art job are you working where a goddamn diploma takes precedence over a portfolio or just experience? I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one, I don't think the lead designer of anything substantial would be lurking fucking /ic/ of all places.

>Inb4 I don't have to prove anything to you.

>> No.3935487

>>3923702
Fuck no before when I was just doing my gen-eds I was grinding every day all the Loomis and subsequent books. I was on line if action and had no idea what a good gesture drawing was, didn't know any important landmarks. The figure drawing class helped me insurmountably

>> No.3936043

>>3935388
A random degree isnt worth much. I have a close friend that did a masters in language studies and managed to become an art director. But his level was high before even starting his degree, Did freelance work for said company and already had a big network. I doubt his degree is worth anything.

What is most common is for people to have some similar degree to their role. I doubt my anecdotal evidence will convince you but i recommend you to search on linkedin if you’re interested. Most artists have open profiles and you can read what a senior concept artist at blizzard did before he got hired, or if the art directors on halo went to university.

>> No.3937388

>>3935138
nigger